Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-09-2004   #1
CaptainPatriot
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainPatriot
Unhappy Peyton Manning what's the Big deal?......

How many games has he played in weather under 70 degrees other than Chicago? Which was a Sunny day! Or a inclement weather game this yr? All his games have been like playing in a living room. If he gets the record need to have an asterik next to it. Oh look he plays here in Houston this week. Another dome stadium! Lets see what he can do on the last game of the season. When he plays in Denver 1/2/05 You know he will have to go play at the PATS or Steelers to get to the Super Bowl !
Old 12-09-2004   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe we should keep the Stadium open since we have a retractable roof and we are not only a dome stadium.

If you want to talk about inclement weather. The guy who currently has the record ( Dan Marino) didn't necessarily play in blizzards all year. Miami isn't necessarily the coldest place in the NFL.

Dude is going off and you gotta give him credit. I just hope he doesn't break it on us and win the division on our turf again for the second time in a row.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004   #3
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Patriot--Here is a thread with the split in Manning's performance when he has to play outside:

Manning Split

Yes it affects him, but come on, every QB is worse on the road than at home and he would still be one of if not the best. By the way, you think Marino benefit from playing in Miami maybe?
Old 12-09-2004   #4
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPatriot
How many games has he played in weather under 70 degrees other than Chicago? Which was a Sunny day! Or a inclement weather game this yr? All his games have been like playing in a living room. If he gets the record need to have an asterik next to it.
Does Marino have an asterisks next to his record? He played 8 games in Miami and that is not cold weather. I'm not sure when he played the Jets, Bills, and Patriots that year.

Are you just upset that Peyton is getting so much attention instead of Brady? Hey when it comes down to it, championships rule, but breaking records are fun for the fans too.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004   #5
SESupergenius

Manning does well in most games. I always thought the argument wasn't whether Manning can get things done, its how his defensive supporting cast could hold up. Manning puts points on the board, their defense is what kept other teams in the game. Try to tell me you wouldn't want Manning on our team, go ahead, I tripple dog dare ya.
Old 12-09-2004   #6
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

wow, now patriot fans come to texans boards to bash manning? I thought they only did this on colts boards
Youngstown Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004   #7
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Peyton Manning, right now, is the top QB in the NFL. Earlier in the year I would have said Brady but right now Peyton is the best. He's playing scary good right now.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-09-2004   #8
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD
Peyton Manning, right now, is the top QB in the NFL.
patriots fans have a seriously hard time dealing with that. They would have calmed down with the "brady is better" threads, but after the steelers spanked them, theyve gone into damage control.
Old 12-09-2004   #9
txhoosier
Veteran

Quote:
How many games has he played in weather under 70 degrees other than Chicago? Which was a Sunny day! Or a inclement weather game this yr? All his games have been like playing in a living room. If he gets the record need to have an asterik next to it. Oh look he plays here in Houston this week. Another dome stadium! Lets see what he can do on the last game of the season. When he plays in Denver 1/2/05 You know he will have to go play at the PATS or Steelers to get to the Super Bowl !
it's bad enough to have Pats trolls on the Colts boards...now they are chasing the Colts to the weekly opponents boards too?

Somebody's worried...it looks like Pats fans are a little scared of what might happen this year...getting the trolling in early, since they will run and hide after the Pats go down in the playoffs this year!!!
Old 12-09-2004   #10
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Boy I can't wait til we make it to the playoffs so we can be involved in this type of conversation like yall.

Hey, matter of fact, this is the Texans Bull Pen message board. We need to talk about Texan stuff or you guys can go to your own message board.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004   #11
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

I am surprised this hasnt been moved to the other football forum. I do apologize, I thought the pats fan had the sense to put this in the right forum.
Old 12-09-2004   #12
SESupergenius

Don 't go thinking that Manning is THAT much better than Brady. Brady has very good numbers for not having as much talent or attempts as Manning does. Add to that he has 2 superbowls rings. It's a case of Montana vs Marino all over again. I'd take Montana in that scenario too.
Old 12-09-2004   #13
CrumplerFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngstown Colt
wow, now patriot fans come to texans boards to bash manning? I thought they only did this on colts boards
That's some sort of respect as well, isn't it? :-)))
CrumplerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004   #14
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Payton WILL get his 4 TD's this weekend. Doesnt matter if it is 1st, 2nd, or 3rd and goal with 1-99 yards to go, Payton will throw it. He wants that record in Houston. And so does Dungy. Dont feel bad, its not like he threw for 48 against us, only.....8 or 9... Lets just try to win the game. But with the way the Texans have trailed off this half of the season, i dont see that happening.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004   #15
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

One of the NFL shows did a comparison between Marino's '84 and Manning's '04.

"Apparently" Marino faced much better pass defenses (based on that year's rankings).
While Marino had Clayton and Duper, he didn't have the same level of weapons as Manning.
Etc., etc.,...

Marino was my favorite as a kid growing up. He's the reason I wore #13 in everything I did. So I'm a bit biased.

But you can't take away from what Manning is doing this year. It's reaching Maris/McGuire status where a long standing record is not just getting broken...it's getting shattered.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004   #16
CrumplerFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge

"Apparently" Marino faced much better pass defenses (based on that year's rankings).
I'm curious, what kind of difference the newly enforced 5 yard rule has in Mannings succsess this year.Or is it just a his best year by case? Scoring is up mostly this year. The times are different, defenses also. You can't compare that Boy Manning to Marino.
CrumplerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004   #17
txhoosier
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge

While Marino had Clayton and Duper, he didn't have the same level of weapons as Manning.
Etc., etc.,...

Marino was my favorite as a kid growing up. He's the reason I wore #13 in everything I did. So I'm a bit biased.

But you can't take away from what Manning is doing this year. It's reaching Maris/McGuire status where a long standing record is not just getting broken...it's getting shattered.
I would agree with your defense of the record if Manning were to throw, say...49 or 50 this season...but he could very well throw 60 TD's!!!! If the defenses are less talented in '04 than in '84, Manning is taking advantage of that situation! Manning is every bit of the QB that Marino was, in a league with better receivers and lesser db's. If Manning doesn't SHATTER marino's records by the end of his career, I will be surprised. (and yes, I am talking about total yards, as well...and let's add at least 1 SB ring to the mix...maybe 2 now that Marvin has been re-signed...)
Old 12-10-2004   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhoosier
If the defenses are less talented in '04 than in '84, Manning is taking advantage of that situation!
It isn't that the defenses are less talented it is that the NFL put the new emphasis on the 5 yard rule and has hamstrung the DB's compared to what they used to be allowed to do. But still Manning is doing a phenominal job of taking advantage of the situation.
Old 12-11-2004   #19
Hoosier
Rookie

Quote:

It's not just Manning. It's about Manning, the offensive line, Edge, Harrison, Pollard, Clark, Wayne, Stokely, etc. etc. Manning has tried to say the same thing. It's not about individual accomplishments, it's about winning and keeping on winning.

Same thing with your guy. He's good but he didn't get those two rings on his own. It's about Bruski, Ty Law, Poole, Belicheck, etc. etc. It is a team game after all
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004   #20
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Both of them, Pats and Pony's, better watch out for the squeeky Steelers in their almighty run for the SB. Rothlithesburger (sp) has been rookie of the week 8 times this year. PM better enjoy his reign while he can, cause this kid is gonna blow him away, in years to come. JMHO
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read