Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 04-24-2008   #1
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL Developmental League

Quote:
YET ANOTHER POTENTIAL PRO FOOTBALL LEAGUE
Posted by Mike Florio on April 24, 2008, 10:45 p.m.

Now there’s the UNFL, which actually could work because it is positioning itself to fill the vacuum created by the scuttling of NFL Europa.

“I tell everyone that there’s one professional football league, and that’s the National Football League,” UNFL founder Marvin Tomlin told the New York Times. “But in the same place, the [NFL] does not have a developmental system.”

The UNFL plans to play from January to April in college stadiums, starting in 2009. And that’s where a good idea would begin to skid off the rails.

The best plan would be to create a true minor league with teams in cities that don’t have NFL teams playing during football season. The rosters would consist of players with ties to specific NFL teams, who could be called up and sent down, just like in baseball. Games would be played on Tuesday and Wednesday nights, giving us seven days per week of pro or college football.

This way, young players would be able to develop via game reps, just like they did in Europe. At first, the teams could be clustered in the same relative geographic area, in order to hold down travel costs while the league gets the wobble out of its legs.

And cities that served as incubators for the NFL in its infancy should get first dibs on hosting one of the minor-league franchises. Places like Akron, Dayton, Muncie, Evansville, Rochester, Louisville, Toledo, Duluth, Canton, Pottsville would have plenty of built-in intrigue.

We like it. If only someone with the money, time, skills, and desire would get off their selfish, lazy ass and do it.
I like this.

This is where players like Chris Taylor, Darius Walker, Zac Diles, Bradon Frye, etc. could've been instead of rotting in the practice squad.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008   #2
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL Developmental League

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
I like this.

This is where players like Chris Taylor, Darius Walker, Zac Diles, Bradon Frye, etc. could've been instead of rotting in the practice squad.
The NFL Development League...what it this.....I always thought college football was the NFLs Development League.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008   #3
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the idea. I think the starting and ending dates might be off a bit. March-June/July might be better. Gets the play more out of the way of the NFL.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008   #4
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

Sounds like a good idea. They play during the summer, and thus there would be more football, meaning that I don't have to watch baseball for my sports fix. Hell, put a team here in Austin.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008   #5
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

I rather have the DL play during the regular season. Off-season DL football already have NFL Europe.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008   #6
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
I rather have the DL play during the regular season. Off-season DL football already have NFL Europe.
NFL Europe is no more. It has been canned.
Old 04-25-2008   #7
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

At first it seems like a developmental league should play during the same time as the regular league but football is so different from any other sport that I think maybe a spring league might be the only practical way to do it.

How long would the season be for the D-NFL? If it's very long then you're talking about wearing guys out so that the real teams will be calling on tired legs and dinged up players by the second half of the season. What's a farm team worth if many of the players are beat up by the time you need them?

A spring league would solve that problem to some extent. They get their reps, play their games, and keep interest in football alive during the dark days of spring when there's nothing but crap sports to focus on. During their off-season the players will have a similar schedule to what their parent club does during the spring. They'll have some mini-camps and voluntary workouts. I'd imagine you would want them to have some more "mandatory" activities because you want guys in pretty good shape in case they're called up. I think that you would have very few "slugs" in the developmental league. Non-motivated individuals need not apply. This would be a league for guys who want to play in the NFL but just take longer to develop.

Also since football is such a violent game you probably wouldn't have a lot of guys going 8-10 years "in the minors". Teams wouldn't be that interested in them unless they just needed them to fill out rosters. If players don't make a dent in somebody's roster after 2-3 years, 4 at the most then they'd probably move on to whatever they were going to do with the rest of their lives.
Old 04-25-2008   #8
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
At first it seems like a developmental league should play during the same time as the regular league but football is so different from any other sport that I think maybe a spring league might be the only practical way to do it.

How long would the season be for the D-NFL? If it's very long then you're talking about wearing guys out so that the real teams will be calling on tired legs and dinged up players by the second half of the season. What's a farm team worth if many of the players are beat up by the time you need them?

A spring league would solve that problem to some extent. They get their reps, play their games, and keep interest in football alive during the dark days of spring when there's nothing but crap sports to focus on. During their off-season the players will have a similar schedule to what their parent club does during the spring. They'll have some mini-camps and voluntary workouts. I'd imagine you would want them to have some more "mandatory" activities because you want guys in pretty good shape in case they're called up. I think that you would have very few "slugs" in the developmental league. Non-motivated individuals need not apply. This would be a league for guys who want to play in the NFL but just take longer to develop.

Also since football is such a violent game you probably wouldn't have a lot of guys going 8-10 years "in the minors". Teams wouldn't be that interested in them unless they just needed them to fill out rosters. If players don't make a dent in somebody's roster after 2-3 years, 4 at the most then they'd probably move on to whatever they were going to do with the rest of their lives.
That makes sense for the most part. If the D-league started up after the Pro-Bowl and went through June, the players would have a few weeks to rest up before the parent team starts training camp. Once training camp starts, the parent team could bring in about a dozen of the most promising players from their D-league. Maybe a few will make the active Roster, and the ones that don't get sent back to the D-league team along with any other players that don't make the active roster but the parent team wants to maintain control of.
Old 04-25-2008   #9
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtech9 View Post
That makes sense for the most part. If the D-league started up after the Pro-Bowl and went through June, the players would have a few weeks to rest up before the parent team starts training camp. Once training camp starts, the parent team could bring in about a dozen of the most promising players from their D-league. Maybe a few will make the active Roster, and the ones that don't get sent back to the D-league team along with any other players that don't make the active roster but the parent team wants to maintain control of.
Exactly. You're more than likely not going to get an immediate starter out of the D-League in most instances. You're probably going to be pulling depth from there. You could of course get that guy who develops for you and then bring him to camp and he might end up playing two straight seasons of football with a month or so break in between them. Then you might get a guy who gets tired but I don't see that being the routine. It'll more likely be the exception.

I think it's a great idea and I think that it would be cool to see them bring back teams like the Canton Bulldogs to be farm clubs. I'd love to see it happen and if the NFL had done this back in the day when they created NFL Europe (of the WLAF or whatever the hell they called it back in the day) then they'd still be playing and making some big money leveraging those old team names and additional spring football TV revenue. They marketed NFL-E to the wrong people. Over here, in smaller cities where the NFL will never go this could have been a gold mine and an invaluable resource.
Old 04-25-2008   #10
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Exactly. You're more than likely not going to get an immediate starter out of the D-League in most instances. You're probably going to be pulling depth from there. You could of course get that guy who develops for you and then bring him to camp and he might end up playing two straight seasons of football with a month or so break in between them. Then you might get a guy who gets tired but I don't see that being the routine. It'll more likely be the exception.

I think it's a great idea and I think that it would be cool to see them bring back teams like the Canton Bulldogs to be farm clubs. I'd love to see it happen and if the NFL had done this back in the day when they created NFL Europe (of the WLAF or whatever the hell they called it back in the day) then they'd still be playing and making some big money leveraging those old team names and additional spring football TV revenue. They marketed NFL-E to the wrong people. Over here, in smaller cities where the NFL will never go this could have been a gold mine and an invaluable resource.
I think you are absolutely right on there. There are so many other mid-sized cities that just aren't big enough to support an NFL team, but would be perfect for a developemental team.
Old 04-25-2008   #11
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't watch arena league but I imagine it would hurt that league or would the NFL just buy it out and move outdoors?
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read