Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-05-2004   #1
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36873 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default BCS who cares

I was wondering how many here would like to see the BCS go away?I enjoy College Football but I quit watching after the Div 1 season is over. I quit watching the Bowl exhibition games back in the early 80's . I would like to see a playoff system but I know it will not happen any time soon.
axman40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004   #2
dan7
Veteran

I'd like to see a playoff system, but I doubt that it will happen anytime soon.
Old 12-05-2004   #3
LiveForTheGame
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to LiveForTheGame

The BCS will only change when those in charge think it doesn't work for what they want, but it does work for what they want, and they think it's the right system. It won't change for a while.
LiveForTheGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004   #4
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 63539 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

USC getting screwed last year and five undefeated teams this year ought to start throwing a monkey wrench into this BcS thing shouldn't it??

It really needs to go away. The excuse that it has people talking about college football is BS. When the focus is on something other than the game, that's not a good thing. You think people would stop talking college football if there were a playoff system?? That's bunk. College football playoffs would be as big as or bigger than March Madness.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Texas Vs Michigan in the Rose Bowl. I just heard it.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004   #6
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Texas Vs Michigan in the Rose Bowl. I just heard it.
Where did you hear it???

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004   #7
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Thank you Southern Miss.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-05-2004   #8
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Woot, A&M should get the Cotton bowl then!
Reddevil63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Where did you hear it???
Texans post game show.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004   #10
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 42196 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

They're getting it from cbs sportsline...

Quote:
The Trojans and Sooners will square off in the Orange Bowl. Other BCS matchups: Sugar -- Auburn vs. Virginia Tech; Rose -- Michigan vs. Texas; Fiesta -- Utah vs. Pitt.
.. but then 610 came back and changed it to Tx/Utah in Fiesta and Mich/Pitt in Rose... so I'm not sure if it's official...
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004   #11
Oilers/Texans
Veteran

The BCS needs to go away for sure. It is the biggest joke around and it's a bad one at that. Playoffs are the only way to go, but they probably won't happen
Oilers/Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004   #12
MarleyFan
Veteran

BCS wanted Texas in all along. Cal got screwed!
MarleyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004   #13
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarleyFan
BCS wanted Texas in all along.
Looks like the refs in the Kansas game got what they wanted.
Old 12-05-2004   #14
Jonathan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarleyFan
BCS wanted Texas in all along. Cal got screwed!
Of course Cal got screwed. Had Texas not made it in you could have made the exact same arguments. Had Cal substantially beaten Southern Miss it would have been a different ballgame. Until there is an 8 team playoff, some teams are just going to get screwed.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004   #15
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I'd prefer to see a playoff as opposed to the BCS, but I doubt it happens anytime soon unless they can find away to get more money from a playoff than they get from the BCS.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004   #16
ColdSteelBlue
Veteran

I think the team that got screwed was Auburn. The voters had their heads so far up USC's butt that they did not see that Auburn is the best team in the country. # 2 at the least. The BCS stinks

The rankings should be
1. Auburn
2. OU
3. USC
4. UT
5. Utah
6.Cal
ColdSteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004   #17
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Last year I thought LSU and USC should have been playing in the National Championship Game.

This year I think it should be OU and Auburn.

I haven't been happy with the process since its inception. I was disappointed in 1998 when Kansas State (to A&M in OT in the Big 12 game) and UCLA (to Miami in the "Hurricane Bowl") lost their last games or we would have had three undefeated teams (with Tennessee, who should have lost the SEC championship game to Arkansas if not for a blunder by the QB downing the ball) that year too. K-State would have been the odd team out.

They need a new system. I don't buy the argument that the students will be away from school too long. There are playoffs in the lower divisions. Basketball players miss a ton of school days during the tournament. It seems like a double standard.

They need an 8-game or 4-game playoff system.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004   #18
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

BTW, I sympathize with Cal. Texas got screwed last year. We were number 5 in the BCS and didn't get to go to a BCS game because K-State got an automatic bid and OU was in the National Championship Game. Since only 2 teams from a conference can go, Texas was left out. We had to go to the Holiday Bowl too. Sucks huh?

Here were some weird scenarios that I read about before the games on Saturday. I liked the one where Cal was #1 in both polls but would have to play in the Holiday Bowl. I also liked the one where Colorado beat OU but couldn't go to a BCS bowl because Texas and OU were #1 and #2 in the BCS.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/7954739
Old 12-06-2004   #19
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
I liked the one where Cal was #1 in both polls but would have to play in the Holiday Bowl.
That wouldn't be an example of how the BCS is a problem. It would be an example of how the polls are a problem. Voting for a 1 loss Cal team over what would be a 1 loss USC team that beat Cal would be absurd.
Old 12-06-2004   #20
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Voting for a 1 loss Cal team over what would be a 1 loss USC team that beat Cal would be absurd.
I don't necessarily agree. Just because I beat a team, doesn't necessarily make me better. Is it worse for Cal to lose to a 1-loss USC team early in the season or for USC to lose to a 4-loss UCLA team the last game of the season?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read