Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-26-2004   #1
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

Default Joe Paterno/Penn State

Just how low can they go? Once a powerhouse; now a joke ... it is just plain sad and pathetic at Penn State these days. Joe Paterno has long since lost his effectiveness as a coach. No one has the heart to push him out. And I guess he is too old and senile to read and hear what they are saying about him. I wonder how long this will go on before someone steps up and begins to salvage the school's football program.

http://www.cumberlink.com/PSUfootbal...24_how_low.php
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004   #2
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

That is true Sassy but he earned the schools patience. He won National Championships in 4 separate decades. I think he should be able to coach there as long as he wants. There aren't many coaches I would say that about.

However, I would also have people in the background encouraging him to move on. There is no way he should be fired. He has earned the right to go out on his own terms.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004   #3
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
... He has earned the right to go out on his own terms.
Sadly, that seems to be the way it is playing out, to the detriment of the school's best interests.
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004   #4
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyTexan
Sadly, that seems to be the way it is playing out, to the detriment of the school's best interests.
Detrimental in the short-run for sure, but the school likely would never have made it anywhere without Joe Pa though. I hope he retires soon but I don't want to see a Tom Landry type exit again (and I HATE the Cowboys).
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004   #5
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

vs Akron - 98,866 in attendance
vs Central Florida - 101,715 in attendance
vs Purdue - 108,183 in attendance
vs Iowa - 108,062 in attendance

That's an average of 104,206 for their first 4 home games this season.

Joe Pa ain't going anywhere until he decides. School could care less about what the record says. Until their attendance (and pockets) start to decline, he'll be on the sidelines.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004   #6
Mistril48
All Pro

I believe Joe also has a spectacular record of charitable giving to the University. I think he gave a million $ to the library, although I don't have a link. Showing that loyalty is a two-way street isn't necessarily against the Universities best interests.

I don't know much about the situation at Penn State, but perhaps somethings, including how we treat seniors, are more important that football.
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read