Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-22-2008   #1
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Out of nowhere pick

ok so the last two years, the new admin have made two very unexpected 1st round picks..

in 06, nobody thought we'd take mario because of a certain mr reggie bush
in 07, we took amobi after he unexpectedly slipped to #10

in 08, does anybody see the choice being anything other than the widespread albert/williams/jenkins/talib/stewart predictions and if so who do you think is a possible candidate?

does a player fall or do we supposedly 'reach' for somebody?

note: i started this thread because i had a dream last night where we chose quentin groves at #18

also cason at #18 wouldn't surprise me either
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #2
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Out of nowhere pick

Smith & Kubiak are talking openly about the need to get a LT, and how this might be the Draft to do it since so many are in the years Draft. Trouble is
the ones the Texans want (especially Chris Williams & Brandon Albert), will
be off the Board before the 18th pick.
I'm concluding all of this talk means one of 2 things: its a smokescreen and the Texans don't intend to pick any Olineman in the first round and have
priorities higher than that for their #18 and Gibbs has a player(s) he likes for his system in later rounds, OR they are completely serious about their desire to take a top LT in round and will actually move up in this Draft to get one since they feel that's necessary - the guy(s) they want won't fall to them at #18.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #3
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
ok so the last two years, the new admin have made two very unexpected 1st round picks..

in 06, nobody thought we'd take mario because of a certain mr reggie bush
Speak for yourself. I thought it was clear and expected that we would take Williams in 2006.

I think they are looking at BPA at the LT and CB positions.
Old 04-22-2008   #4
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Speak for yourself. I thought it was clear and expected that we would take Williams in 2006.

I think they are looking at BPA at the LT and CB positions.
It was definitely NOT clear to me we were going to take Mario until just a day or two before the draft....when the contract announcement was made. I think that was unexpected for most of us and fans of the NFL.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #5
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Keith Rivers is a name that could be a surprise for some fans. He would easily be BPA at 18.
Old 04-22-2008   #6
Polo

Been calling for Keith Rivers for a while...

I think that's a pick that could really help our defense...
Old 04-22-2008   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
It was definitely NOT clear to me we were going to take Mario until just a day or two before the draft....when the contract announcement was made. I think that was unexpected for most of us and fans of the NFL.
So true. I think most of us were stunned. I know I was.
But I think the intention all along was to take Bush, but for whatever
reason(s) that changed in the last few days leading up to the Draft.
Of course whatever actually happened in those days is still a subject of debate, but I think the majority of us are now happy we took Mario instead of Bush.
Sponsored links
Old 04-22-2008   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
I think Keith Rivers is a name that could be a surprise for some fans. He would easily be BPA at 18.
I agree. A darkhorse, but if he's on the Board and the LTs & CBs Smith & Kubiak like I think they could take KR.
Old 04-22-2008   #9
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I agree. A darkhorse, but if he's on the Board and the LTs & CBs Smith & Kubiak like I think they could take KR.
At 18 he may be just too much to pass up. Would be an upgrade to our LB's and would be better at OLB than Demeco would be, and would allow us to keep him inside while taking a BPA who happens to be a LB.
Old 04-22-2008   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I reckon Rivers would play SAM LB, correct? How well does he cover TE's and RB's? Just curious
Old 04-22-2008   #11
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I reckon Rivers would play SAM LB, correct? How well does he cover TE's and RB's? Just curious
Go re-watch the senior bowl practices. Why a top fifteen guy would tank a drill is beyond me....but there are those who say it does not matter. (YTF, there is no respond to this post. Let's keep the thread moving). He covers like your granny. Only pick which would be worse is groves.
Old 04-22-2008   #12
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Theres a few players I think they might look at with the 18th pick that might surprise some fans.

Kenny Phillips
keith Rivers
Jerrod Mayo
Phillip Merling

and to a less extent Derrick Harvey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #13
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Go re-watch the senior bowl practices. Why a top fifteen guy would tank a drill is beyond me....but there are those who say it does not matter. (YTF, there is no respond to this post. Let's keep the thread moving). He covers like your granny. Only pick which would be worse is groves.
Correct me if Im wrong but I think Deon Sanders has gotten burned a few times. Same with champ etc....

Your talking about the freakin senior bowl. Not the combine, team workouts, National championship games. The senior bowl.

Quote:
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Old 04-22-2008   #14
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Only pick which would be worse is groves.
You mean DE Groves from Auburn ? I thought LZ was going to get his nut
the other day when he was talking about this guy. I've really never heard
much at about him, how come you take such strong exception with what
LZ had to say about him. LZ couldn't stop talking about him on his Draft show.
BTW, if the Texans did happen to draft KR, he's most likely a WIL because of his athleticism.
Old 04-22-2008   #15
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post
Correct me if Im wrong but I think Deon Sanders has gotten burned a few times. Same with champ etc....

Your talking about the freakin senior bowl. Not the combine, team workouts, National championship games. The senior bowl.
You are what you do. I see no bigger reach, reaching for Babbin or reaching for the number with Rivers. Same animal. Want a lump of clay to work with hold your water and pick Cliff avrill or Ezra Butler .
Old 04-22-2008   #16
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
You mean DE Groves from Auburn ? I thought LZ was going to get his nut
the other day when he was talking about this guy. I've really never heard
much at about him, how come you take such strong exception with what
LZ had to say about him. LZ couldn't stop talking about him on his Draft show.
BTW, if the Texans did happen to draft KR, he's most likely a WIL because of his athleticism.
Groves is more of a positional question. He is a pass-rushing demon, though may be best suited for a 3-4 OLB, similar to Demarcus Ware.

You are right, Rivers will play WILL in a 4-3 most likely.
Old 04-22-2008   #17
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Quote:
You are what you do. I see no bigger reach, reaching for Babbin or reaching for the number with Rivers. Same animal. Want a lump of clay to work with hold your water and pick Cliff avrill or Ezra Butler .
I'm gonna have to qoute someone on this one.

Quote:
Allen Iverson Were talking about practice! Practice!

Quote:
Old 04-22-2008   #18
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Quote:
Are you comparing Babin to Keith Rivers?
and
Are you comparing our old regime with our new one?

Quote:
Old 04-22-2008   #19
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Babbin was a situational pass-rusher disguised as a 3-4 OLB. He couldn't make the switch from DE. Rivers is a traditional OLB. Maybe you are mistaking him for a DE? He did play DE when USC needed him to and asked him to, but he is by no means a DE, and in no way is he similar to Babbin at all. If you don't think we should pick him fine, but to throw something like that out there is pointless to our cause.
Old 04-22-2008   #20
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Groves is more of a positional question. He is a pass-rushing demon, though may be best suited for a 3-4 OLB, similar to Demarcus Ware.

You are right, Rivers will play WILL in a 4-3 most likely.
and he(Groves) has an injury history....if they had all seven picks... be one thing to gamble like that....but they don't. they have to be drop dead sure as they can be with every pick they got. I'm not in the room but I expect Mr. Gorves is only on the radar of teams with more than seven picks. He is not on the Texan's board.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read