Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 05-16-2004   #1
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 168 year-old Joe Paterno signs 4-year extension

In related news, Penn St signed 532 year-old Jedi master Yoda to coach the linebackers....

Quote:
Joe Paterno signed a four-year contract extension yesterday that will keep him as Penn State's head football coach through the 2008 season. Paterno, 77, is the oldest active head coach in NCAA Division I-A football and had one year remaining on a five-year contract. He hinted during a visit to the Duquesne Club last week that he might sign an extension soon.

If Paterno fulfills the length of the contract, he will be 81 during the 2008 season. He has found his joy late in life coaching the same game he has since 1950.

"I appreciate this extension and show of confidence in me and our football program," Paterno said in a prepared statement. "I still enjoy coaching and I'm excited about the upcoming season and the incoming recruiting class.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04135/316297.stm

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004   #2
Mistril48
All Pro

I don't understand the extension beyond it was what Paterno wanted. It's good to see loyalty going BOTH ways. Paterno has always run a model program, always leading the nation in graduation rates among football players. He also has been very generous in gifting back to the school (for libraries, etc.) I believe.
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004   #3
texasduece
Rookie

This could be a lifetime contract. 81, I would love to coach that long. One thing is for sure at this point it can't be for money, I think it is great.
texasduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004   #4
cap1
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 cap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotcap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I don't think that Paterno will retire until Bobby Bowden does. They are basically neck and neck in the All time wins colum. I just don't see Paterno living long enough to overtake Bobby B.
Old 05-20-2004   #5
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Bowden is 75 and has an extensive pool of superior athletes; however, Miami and VAtech are moving into the conference and this might make the wins a little tougher to get.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read