Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-21-2008   #1
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125942 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default If ATL offers

If ATL offers #35 & their 3rd for #18 would you make the deal?

I think they will want to trade back into the 1st rd. & take Brohm.

I think I would do the trade.

My new mock would look like this

RD2 Nicks
RD3 Molden
RD3 Johnston
RD4 Okam
RD5 Blake
RD7 Jamie Silva
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008   #2
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If ATL offers

they have 4 picks in the top 48, i think they're happy with that. they can get a QB with any of those picks easily without trading.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008   #3
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I disagree with kastofsna, and think some team will move up into the 1st to take one of the 2nd tier QBs. But, I don't see the Texans as being able to take advantage of that. To entice a team to trade up for a player, the Texans would have to convince that team of their intentions to select the player, or the possibility that the team following them would take the player.

Neither the Texans nor the Eagles (selecting #19) are in the market for a QB. The team late in the 1st round that could be looking at one of these QBs is the 49ers at #29. That would put Dallas at #28 in the catbird seat to make a draft day trade for a team moving up to take a QB, for the 2nd year in a row.
Old 04-21-2008   #4
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123792 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I disagree with kastofsna, and think some team will move up into the 1st to take one of the 2nd tier QBs. But, I don't see the Texans as being able to take advantage of that. To entice a team to trade up for a player, the Texans would have to convince that team of their intentions to select the player, or the possibility that the team following them would take the player.

Neither the Texans nor the Eagles (selecting #19) are in the market for a QB. The team late in the 1st round that could be looking at one of these QBs is the 49ers at #29. That would put Dallas at #28 in the catbird seat to make a draft day trade for a team moving up to take a QB, for the 2nd year in a row.
Unless on draft day we float a rumour that another team is interested in a QB @18.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008   #5
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125942 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

If they want a specific QB they are going to have to trade up to make sure they get him.

Which QB do you think Mia. will take @ the top of rd 2?

The way I see it going down 2-3 QB's will be taken in the 1st rd.

(Ryan, Brohm, & Henne late in the 1st).

If mia., atl., or balt want one of these guys I think they will have to trade up to get them.

If atl. thinks mia. is going to take Brohm for instance they're going to have to trade up to get him.

This is why I think we are sitting in a perfect spot @ 18. not to high or low when it comes to trading. (Moneywise) We can trade up for a top tier LT or trade back for a 2nd tier LT & a 3rd round pick). This is if Gibbs has targeted a specific 2nd tier LT that he knows fits the ZBS scheme.
Old 04-21-2008   #6
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

no reason for Miami to take a QB in the 2nd round.
Old 04-21-2008   #7
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 59912 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
no reason for Miami to take a QB in the 2nd round.
Yeah - didn't you get one last year?
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-21-2008   #8
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

I like how Miami is putting all of their eggs in the John Beck basket.

Good luck with that one. IMO
Old 04-21-2008   #9
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I like how Miami is putting all of their eggs in the John Beck basket.

Good luck with that one. IMO
Cuz teams never use a high pick on a QB & let the guy play to see if he was worth it...
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008   #10
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

a 2nd round QB just drafted 12 months ago with only a handful of starts under his belt. seems fairly rational for a team to keep their focus on him.

that's not to say all the eggs are in his basket. they brought in Josh McCown for some healthy competition, and i'm not dismissing the idea of drafting any QB at all to begin with, but it's certainly not a need on day 1.
Old 04-21-2008   #11
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
a 2nd round QB just drafted 12 months ago with only a handful of starts under his belt. seems fairly rational for a team to keep their focus on him.

that's not to say all the eggs are in his basket. they brought in Josh McCown for some healthy competition, and i'm not dismissing the idea of drafting any QB at all to begin with, but it's certainly not a need on day 1.
Agreed.

Beck was one of my favorite prospects last year & probably the #3 rated QB on most teams' draft boards (obviously not the Eagles).

I think that 4 starts may not be enough to evaluate his pro potential. Unless of course you considered it a guarantee that Mario Williams was a bust after watching him play just four times.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008   #12
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

It depends who's on the board at our pick. If any of our top players are there (Williams, Albert, etc) then I would NOT do the trade. However, if the top players we like are all off the board (which is easily a possibility) then I would def. have to consider the deal and most likely make it. I would really like to get a hand on two of their 2nd rd picks but would take their 2nd and 3rd.

I think there would be a couple of WR's, RT's, DT, QB taken pushing more of a need pick to us. It sounds like we're interested in a few of the CB's that would be worth a look at the top of the 2nd round. Maybe a player like Baker or Collins, or a RB like Forte or Rice.

Would get real interesting if we completed this trade and the Sage trade (a 2nd rd pick + 3 3rd round picks) would make draft day(s) more interesting.

As far a QB's are concerned. I think teams won't just sit their and say 'well if Brohm gets selected, we'll just take Henne or Flacco.' A lot of positions, particularly Quarterback, require a certain player for the team/management. I think a team will really like QB X and won't just settle for a possible franchise QB in somebody else... one QB may fit their team much better than the others. This would require them trading up to be sure. I do think #18 may be too early for them (unless Tampa Bay may take one?) and that they would look in the mid 20's.

Which brings me to my next idea. Otah slips to us but all the players we like are gone. Pittsburgh wants him bad to stay in-state and anchor their dwindling OL. We trade down with them giving us a third. Then a team like ATL trades up with us at Pitt's spot to select a QB giving us their 2nd and 3rd. Or if this were to play out, I'd be okay with getting some future picks for next year (like a 2nd rounder).
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008   #13
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Also, If Miami passes on Matt Ryan (which looks like is a certainty) I don't see them taking a QB with their 32nd overall pick. That is unless Parcells really doesn't like Beck and really really likes another QB prospect. For a team with a young talented QB that can be groomed (aka doesn't HAVE to start) and a team that has a bunch of other needs, OL, DL, etc they would be better served to fix those before throwing in a young QB (both 2nd round picks if they were to take another) in with such a 'bad' team. See David Carr fiasco all over again. Parcells is too smart of a football guy to do that.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #14
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Also, If Miami passes on Matt Ryan (which looks like is a certainty) I don't see them taking a QB with their 32nd overall pick. That is unless Parcells really doesn't like Beck and really really likes another QB prospect. For a team with a young talented QB that can be groomed (aka doesn't HAVE to start) and a team that has a bunch of other needs, OL, DL, etc they would be better served to fix those before throwing in a young QB (both 2nd round picks if they were to take another) in with such a 'bad' team. See David Carr fiasco all over again. Parcells is too smart of a football guy to do that.
Agreed. I think Parcells has his hands full on deceiding what to do for sure. My problem is can Parcells get someone at the top of the second that will inject youth into an aging defense.? I feel confident between Sam Baker,Nicks, or Collins can be legit NFL LTs.

Either way if they're sold on giving Beck a legit shot one of those first two picks needs to address the O-line IMHO.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #15
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

personally, I would only trade down if it kept us in the 1st Round. It may net less in return but I still want a shot at one of the top 30 player in the draft. We gave up the 2nd Round picks for Schaub so we could hang on to our 2007 and 2008's 1st Round draft picks and not have to use either one on a QB which would have been necessary post-Carr without Schaub in the picture. We were able to feel we addressed QB while retaining our 1st Round picks for other positions.

Basically ya drafted Schaub in the 2nd Round two years in a row allowing us to keep our 1st Rounders and not have to use either one on a franchise QB. I am glad we arent having to roll the dice on a Quinn or Ryan level QB talent in the 1st Round either last year or this year. Were gonna get a good player at #18. Someone is gonna drop in our lap and its gonna be exciting and I don't want to lose that chance because the front office potentially felt they needed to compensate for the Schaub deal. We lost our 2nd Rounder last year and we still had a nice haul.

Rivers at 18. Rivers at 18. Make it happen. *rolls dice*
Old 04-22-2008   #16
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:

RD2 Nicks
RD3 Molden
RD3 Johnston
RD4 Okam
RD5 Blake
RD7 Jamie Silva
Would absolutely love to get Okam in the 4th Round. I can't believe he has fallen to the 4th Round in a lot of mock drafts. I could see him being one of the steals of the draft if he falls that far. I just can't imagine there isn't one team out there that thinks he is worthy of being a 3rd Round selection.

Last edited by Second Honeymoon; 04-22-2008 at 01:49 AM.
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #17
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Would absolutely love to get Okam in the 4th Round. I can't believe he has fallen to the 4th Round in a lot of mock drafts. I could see him being one of the steals of the draft if he falls that far. I just can't imagine there isn't one team out there that thinks he is worthy of being a 3rd Round selection.
Blake and Okam would make our front four downright scary. From where is the QB pressure to... Where is it going to come from now?!
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #18
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

I'd only do it if they offered both their seconds, if not we're getting the worse side of the trade.
Old 04-22-2008   #19
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Otah slips to us but all the players we like are gone. Pittsburgh wants him bad to stay in-state and anchor their dwindling OL. We trade down with them giving us a third. Then a team like ATL trades up with us at Pitt's spot to select a QB giving us their 2nd and 3rd. Or if this were to play out, I'd be okay with getting some future picks for next year (like a 2nd rounder).
If Otah slips I would think that the Texans would take him.
Old 04-22-2008   #20
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

RD2 Nicks
RD3 Molden
RD3 Johnston
RD4 Okam
RD5 Blake
RD7 Jamie Silva
From what I have seen regarding Blake, I believe he could be a 7th Round pick or even an Undrafted Rookie Free Agent.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read