Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-19-2008   #41
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10704 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage to Baltimore?

I'm somewhat dissapointed. This thread pops up (as it should) and people automatically revert to the love/hate - trade/keep discussion based on whether or not the want Sage on the Team. Since I'm pretty sure that this discussion is the EXACT same as we had a month ago concerning a trade to the Vikings, why not make this one about whether Sage COULD get traded, and not so much IF he should be traded.

As mentioned, a trade to GB might be in the cards, but I doubt it'll happen before training camp. Baltimore, hm.. It depends on how long they've known that Mcnair would retire. If the news hit them with surprise, they may be scrambling to get the QB position somewhat set before entering the draft. If they've known for a while, They're either drafting a starter (dodgy at best) or getting the future QB to sit through a build-up with a horrible next season.
Old 04-19-2008   #42
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
I heard Todd McShay talking today on the Herd and he thinks all the top Tackles (Long, Clady, Otah, Williams)will be gone no later than pick 15. Albert is gonna be gone most likely too. I was thinking maybe the Texans might try and move up to Chicago's #14 slot by trading Sage to them for swapping 1st round picks and getting their 3rd. Would you do it if it meant the last of the top tackle prospects was about to be drafted just ahead of you?

Read this article about mocks. I posted it in another thread but it is really enlightening on how important mocks are to nfl teams to use as a tool to help them determine where a player they have targeted will go. So if the Texans have a LT targeted it might help you in determining what you think the Texans would do.

http://texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49367

I f
the Texan's moved up for a top end tackle, that would be a comitment to the QB poition that they've never made before....I'll believe it when I see it.

agreed only a fool or a baseball writer would not recognise that this could be the richest offensive line tallent in NFL draft history. and the Texan's history suggests they will wiff one more time.
Old 04-19-2008   #43
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
I'm somewhat dissapointed. This thread pops up (as it should)
To qoute Peirce Bronon in the Tomas Crown afair: six days before the draft. "what the he77 else is there to do ? "
Old 04-19-2008   #44
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage to B

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post

Assuming we trade for Vikings high 3rd and their 6th, we could add a quality saftey, pass-rushing DE, CB, LB, and even LT!

If the Vikes trade for Jared Allen, I doubt they will be in a position to swing any more deals.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008   #45
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
If the Vikes trade for Jared Allen, I doubt they will be in a position to swing any more deals.
True that AJ, but if I were a Vikes fan I would be less that comfortable with the QB situation. Ferrotte..........not warming the cockles of my heart as the backup.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008   #46
Lucky

Rep Power: 153310 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I f
the Texan's moved up for a top end tackle, that would be a comitment to the QB poition that they've never made before....I'll believe it when I see it.
Move up with what? A phantom 2nd round pick from a deal that will never take place? The Texans only have 5 draft picks. Unless they dig into the '09 bag of picks, they don't have the ammo to move up anyway.

Kubiak, Smith, and even McNair have spoken out this offseason in regards to finding a LT to protect Schaub. If one is available that the Texans have a high grade on, I'm certain they will make him their selection. Otherwise, they have to work with what they have and hope Alex Gibbs can preform magic.
Old 04-19-2008   #47
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
True that AJ, but if I were a Vikes fan I would be less that comfortable with the QB situation. Ferrotte..........not warming the cockles of my heart as the backup.
They have obvious issues at starter and backup.

If the Texans are unwilling to trade one of their backup QBs for a second rounder because they're afraid the starter may not last the season, that's a problem, and an indication that the Texans QB situation is not as good as some may think (*good when healthy). It's not that much different from our current RB1/RB1a situation -- hoping to get one good player-season from two players. Some may call that depth but it feels like a different kind of depth to me.

Sage was not on anyone's radar screen two years ago today. Now he's damm near untouchable. What if Gray gives you 95 cents on the Sage dollar, or even (gasp) out-performs him this summer? You're nuts not to trade one of them. If not, I guess you can lean on the Casserly 'you can never have enough quarterbacks' mantra, knowing that if your starter gets hurt, you have not one but two good backups. Not that 'everything' is wrong with that... It's all about the risk you're willing to accept.
Sponsored links
Old 04-19-2008   #48
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I f

agreed only a fool or a baseball writer would not recognise that this could be the richest offensive line tallent in NFL draft history. and the Texan's history suggests they will wiff one more time.
You're not making sense. If this draft has "the richest offensive line tallent in NFL draft history", then why should we need to move up?? There should be someone we can use in either the 1st or 3rd round to improve upon our group of "scrubs" (who, by the way, only gave up 22 sacks - 6th in the whole NFL).

If you are right about the abundance of offensive line talent in this draft, there's no need to weaken the team by giving up picks we can't afford to lose to trade up a few spots.

Quote:
Great #2 Qb is a luxuary. Some of y'all need to make up your minds....do you want to win the division or do you want to stock pile QBs ?
Keeping a quality backup, who is experienced in our offense, is a KEY to winning the division. Its not an impediment to winning the division.
'll go on record as someone who would rather keep the QB that led us to half of our wins rather than trade him for a 3rd round pick in a weak draft.

As I said before, if someone offers up a mid to early 2nd round pick, I think Sage will be sent packing. I doubt that we'll settle for less than that.

If by "stockpiling" you're talking about signing Quinn Gray, he came cheap. So cheap, in fact, it makes me suspicious. If he was "all that" why didn't the Vikes or someone else sign him? Let's see what he can do before we trade a known commodity like Sage.

Oh and one last thing, the potential Vikes deal was dead the minute they signed Gus Frerotte so we can stop talking about that.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008   #49
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87732 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post

Allen is the best player the Chiefs have (including Larry Johnson), and he's barely 26 years old, so trading him would be an absolutely insane thing for them to do.

Lamar Hunt would never have let it happen - hopefully Clark Hunt will carry on in the same tradition, but who knows.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008   #50
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

sage won't be traded.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008   #51
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281 View Post
sage won't be traded.
I agree.
Not this year anyway.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008   #52
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281 View Post
sage won't be traded.
Oh, yeah?

Well I think Sage WILL be traded by next week!

*quick someone agree with me*
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008   #53
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Oh, yeah?

Yea!

I got your back
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008   #54
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

sage needs to be traded we dont need 4 QB

and its all about what will make the team better

trade sage and get a player in a postion we need .....
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008   #55
Drew_Smoke
@Drew_Smoke

Section: 117 FF
Rep Power: 611 Drew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respected

Sage's value will never be higher than it is right now...period.

He has had his chances to be the "man" but where is he?

Some good points have been made here.

Whoever said "strike while the iron's hot" is right on.

We need picks not sentimental faves.
Drew_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008   #56
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21 Mr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Hoover View Post
Sage's value will never be higher than it is right now...period.
I love it when people say "period" as if it gives their opinion more weight or something. Imagine Matt goes down again next season (god forbid). Imagine Sage leads this team on playoff run. Your period turns into a comma.
Mr PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008   #57
aj.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Allen is the best player the Chiefs have (including Larry Johnson), and he's barely 26 years old, so trading him would be an absolutely insane thing for them to do.

Lamar Hunt would never have let it happen - hopefully Clark Hunt will carry on in the same tradition, but who knows.
If KC can get a 1st and a 3rd this year or a 1st this year and next year's 2nd they'll be all over it.

Allen said a year ago that he wants out of KC. He's franchise tagged this year so there's a risk that KC would lose him to UFA next year - with no compensation. Sounds to me that Allen has played his last in KC and the only remaining question is whether MN pays the hefty price or if some other team like Tampa jumps in.

If it's MN, they won't be trading for a backup QB.
Old 04-19-2008   #58
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
Kubiak and Smith are going to have to take some calculated risks to get this team competitive.

It just amazes me that it is so easy to pull the trigger to resign Carr for $8 million, release Carr, trade two 2nd round draft picks for Schaub, and then can't pull the trigger on Rosenfels because he is this supposed in the bank commodity.

The Texans have dumped so much into the QB position with 2 guys and it just appears we are still in the same position from an overall team perspective. Which means now the Texans have to have a platoon of QBs to make it through a season that probably means last place in the AFC South with or with Sage.

Please listen to this, Sage as a Texan is not a great investment to get out of the AFC cellar, particularly when you could get a 2nd round pick.

Trading Sage is minimal risk when looking at the big jump the Texans need to make and what impact Sage would be on that jump.

Sure it makes you guys feel better because there is a perceived better backup, but keeping Sage doesn't get the Texans out of the cellar.

There are too many holes to fill to keep such an insurance policy at the QB position.

I have been saying this for years now, but this fascination with the QB position is biggest problem for the Texans.

Besides, Kubiak is supposed to be a QB guru. You can't tell me he can't find another guy on the scrap heap the way he found Sage in the first place.
Great post!
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008   #59
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr PC View Post
I love it when people say "period" as if it gives their opinion more weight or something. Imagine Matt goes down again next season (god forbid). Imagine Sage leads this team on playoff run. Your period turns into a comma.
Well

The Texans are never gonna win a championship with Sage as our QB... Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008   #60
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Oh, yeah?

we'll see, my friend.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read