Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 04-17-2008   #1
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jared Allen On The Block

Did not see this anywhere:

Quote:
Allen, the NFL's reigning sack leader, told FOXSports.com that the Vikings and Buccaneers have held trade talks with the Chiefs and he anticipates a deal will get done prior to next week's draft.

"It's a situation that works out best for both sides," Allen told FOXSports.com. "I can go to a team that is competing for a championship right now. The Chiefs can get valuable draft picks to rebuild with."

Allen said he is flying to Minnesota and has a visit set up with the Vikings by this weekend. He is tentatively scheduled to meet with Tampa Bay next week. The Jacksonville Jaguars had previously inquired with Allen's camp as well.

The Pro Bowl defensive end is the Chiefs' franchise player, but re-signing in Kansas City will be a problem as the team is looking to stockpile draft picks.

Allen said the two sticking points are working out terms of a deal with a new team and the Chiefs agreeing to compensation for a trade. A package of first- and second-round picks or one of first- and third-round picks in the upcoming draft have been discussed as possible terms. It's unclear at this point what it will take to get the deal done.

Allen, a four-year veteran, led the league in sacks in 2007 with 15.5 and has 13 forced fumbles in the past three seasons.
FoxSports.com
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #2
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jared Allen On The Block

Wow ! That's big. And he's a tremendous player at one of the most highly valued positions who is in his prime. Will be interesting to see what the Chiefs get for him if they do consumate a deal ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #3
Texaninlild
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4558 Texaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Texaninlild

I would gladly give up our #1 for him.

I am a Christian

Philippians 4:13
Texaninlild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #4
camron1269
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 camron1269 was voted MVPcamron1269 was voted MVPcamron1269 was voted MVP

if the vikes get him there is a better chance of derrick harvey slipping to 18 and its kinda obvious that when kubiak said "if a great pass rusher falls to us we wont be afraid to take him" that he is talking about harvey because gholston and long are clearly out of the discussion and merling isnt a good pass rusher. smoke screen or not i think its harvey who he was talking about so we might be seeing DL for the fifth year. i hope the bucs get allen so the vikes take harvey and fill a bigger need. i think we can get a good pass rusher in 3/4 rounds
camron1269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #5
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

Not that we have the ammo to get into the mix, but the thought of Mario on one side and Allen on the other makes me
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #6
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I would cream my pants if we got Jared Allen...

I'd just be extremely happy if he left the conference. Go to TB, I like that team and we dont have to play them again for a few years unless its the Super Bowl!!!
Old 04-17-2008   #7
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by camron1269 View Post
if the vikes get him there is a better chance of derrick harvey slipping to 18 and its kinda obvious that when kubiak said "if a great pass rusher falls to us we wont be afraid to take him" that he is talking about harvey because gholston and long are clearly out of the discussion and merling isnt a good pass rusher. smoke screen or not i think its harvey who he was talking about so we might be seeing DL for the fifth year. i hope the bucs get allen so the vikes take harvey and fill a bigger need. i think we can get a good pass rusher in 3/4 rounds

agreed.. if you read between the lines, it has to be harvey.. hes my #1 choice for #18. unfortunately even if the vikes get allen, i doubt he makes it to us.. not to mention it means that KC will be in the market for a DE in the 1st also

that being said, id give our 1st and 3rd for allen in a heartbeat.. draft day would suck but it would be worth it come september. jared is somebody that could get to peyton consistently and free up the other d-line guys
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-17-2008   #8
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
I would cream my pants if we got Jared Allen...

I'd just be extremely happy if he left the conference. Go to TB, I like that team and we dont have to play them again for a few years unless its the Super Bowl!!!
Or the Pre-Season.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #9
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope it happens with the Bucs. If Williams and Harvey both slip, the Vikes may be more willing to take Harvey, allowing us to finally get our LT.

If the Chiefs get the Vikings pick, they may have better luck taking a LT (away from us) at #17 than at #5 (Long won't be there).
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #10
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Our 1st and Sage for Allen?????

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #11
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2030 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
This sounds reasonable.

Email Rick!
Old 04-17-2008   #12
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

could be a damn fine line for the Bucs.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #13
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94431 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default How about trading #18 for a pro bowler?

Its being reported that Jared Allen is being shopped by the Chiefs.

http://www.gbnreport.com/
Chiefs talking trade for tagged DE… Kansas City has confirmed that the Chiefs have had trade discussions with several regarding franchised DE Jared Allen. The Chiefs have reportedly talked with both Minnesota and Tampa Bay about moving Allen who led the NFL in sacks in 2007 with 15.5. Allen, an exclusive rights franchised player who can negotiate with other teams, is expected to be in Minnesota this weekend to visit with the Vikings who appear t be the frontrunners to get his services as they have more trade ammo than Tampa Bay. The Vikings have reportedly offered their first round pick this year, the 17th overall, as well as a second rounder next year, while the Buccaneers, who have only 5 picks this year, have reportedly offered the 20th pick this year, as well as a 5th rounder in 2009. The Chiefs, though, reportedly want multiple picks in this year’s draft. If the Chiefs move Allen they could then use the 5th pick overall on either of DEs Chris Long of Virginia or Ohio State’s Vernon Gholston to replace and then use the compensatory pick to select an offensive lineman.

I hate the thought of trading away more picks but Could you imagine Allen opposite Williams? Would it be worth #18 and a second next year? Imagine having 30 plus sacks between 2 players. Our D would be scary.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #14
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Vikings lost one of their DL to a weird ailment (not lost as in dead) but I can't remember who it was or what kind of treatment he is getting

kevin williams comes to mind but I can't remember

as far as the topic.. I'd give up weaver err I mean sage and a draft pick (not hating on Weaver, he was hurt last year,but his stats along with contract...hmmm over the years......mmmm will leave it alone)
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #15
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Vikings lost one of their DL to a weird ailment (not lost as in dead) but I can't remember who it was or what kind of treatment he is getting

kevin williams comes to mind but I can't remember

as far as the topic.. I'd give up weaver err I mean sage and a draft pick (not hating on Weaver, he was hurt last year,but his stats along with contract...hmmm over the years......mmmm will leave it alone)
kenechi udeze and leukemia iirc
Old 04-17-2008   #16
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
kenechi udeze and leukemia iirc
thanks!
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #17
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

actually why do the bucs want him? they haven't given up on gaines adams yet even if he has disappointed...
Old 04-18-2008   #18
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Whoa... this has a nice ring to it. I love trades that make sense for both teams and close to value a team may be looking for.

So do y'all think the Chiefs will make a trade (if possible) before draft day, or does this go down ON draft day.

I would jump all over it if our 'worst case scenario' played out (Mendenhall, Stewart, Clady, Williams, Albert, Rivers, McKelvin, Cromartie, Jenkins, Harvey all taken before our selection) Maybe the Chiefs use their #5 on one of the Defensive studs (Jake being gone) but then at #18 Jeff Otah is still available. He doesn't fit our system, we probably really want to trade down but can't find a partner, and there really isn't a player worth this selection to us. Chiefs get Otah and a starter in Sage, groom Croyle another 1-2 years, build up their line. We get a pro bowl Pass Rusher we need and have a decent backup in Quinn Gray.

Allen is only 26 years old and selected in the '04 Draft. This would easily be the best DL in the league, and the youngest. (Mario--Amobi--Johnson--Allen)

29.5 sacks between Mario and Allen last year. That's more than we get as a team.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008   #19
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Whoa... this has a nice ring to it. I love trades that make sense for both teams and close to value a team may be looking for.

So do y'all think the Chiefs will make a trade (if possible) before draft day, or does this go down ON draft day.

I would jump all over it if our 'worst case scenario' played out (Mendenhall, Stewart, Clady, Williams, Albert, Rivers, McKelvin, Cromartie, Jenkins, Harvey all taken before our selection) Maybe the Chiefs use their #5 on one of the Defensive studs (Jake being gone) but then at #18 Jeff Otah is still available. He doesn't fit our system, we probably really want to trade down but can't find a partner, and there really isn't a player worth this selection to us. Chiefs get Otah and a starter in Sage, groom Croyle another 1-2 years, build up their line. We get a pro bowl Pass Rusher we need and have a decent backup in Quinn Gray.

Allen is only 26 years old and selected in the '04 Draft. This would easily be the best DL in the league, and the youngest. (Mario--Amobi--Johnson--Allen)

29.5 sacks between Mario and Allen last year. That's more than we get as a team.
First off, let me say that I would love to add Allen to our DL opposite Mario. Perfect combo. However, I don't want to give up anything other than a 1st and maybe a 6th for Allen. Any trade for Allen would also accompany a big new fat deal that the team would have to pay out. We would be giving up a lot of picks and a lot of cap space for one guy.

I am all for paying it out and feel we need to continue to try and attract quality FAs, but why not let Allen do his franchise year and then go after him hard when goes UFA. Yeah, the price would probably be higher but I would pay the guy an extra million a year to sign him as a UFA after 2008 if it meant we got to keep our #18pick and a top backup this year. You can't buy draft picks. With the probable CBA agreement collapse in 2009 you would probably have a 2010 no-salary cap year. Basically a reset button on the salary cap. That is one of the reasons some teams have been pointing bulk amounts of salary to 2010 in new deals because chances are it will be salary cap-free.

In essence, it would be like giving up a 1st and Sage for the right to sign Allen as a UFA. Thats a pretty steep price. Why not wait a year? I would consider giving them next years 1st and this years 3rd Rounder for Allen. That way we could still have a shot at a top OT prospect or God willing, Keith Rivers.

Could you imagine adding Allen and Rivers to our defense in one offseason? Oh man, we could really start getting after it then.

Oh well, just a few rants and hopefully Richard Smith can do something with the talent he has been given.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read