Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 04-17-2008   #1
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Steve McNair retires..

Hall of Famer? Maybe. He did start in Houston. I remember watching him play a game when Alcorn State played Sam Houston State in hunstville. I had never seen the stadium from Sam Houston packed until that day. He put on a show.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3351086

Last edited by stingray; 04-17-2008 at 10:49 AM.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #2
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Steve McNair retires..

I don't think he's a Hall of Famer. He was a solid, good QB in the NFL but I don't think he was great. He had 3 great year in 2001, 2002, and 2003. I don't know if that's enough to put him in the HOF.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #3
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

lol.. i cant remember where i heard he had really re-dedicated himself to offseason workouts to play better this yr... guess not eh?
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #4
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Blazing Arrow

Congrats on a great career. I wish you had finished a Titan.

RIP Steve ... you showed us what a warrior truly is.
Blazing Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #5
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Congrats on a great career. I wish you had never been a Titan.
Old 04-17-2008   #6
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Matt Ryan at the eight spot makes even more sense now. Or maybe even trading up now to get him.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #7
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I thought that, and then I reconsidered and decided that it almost all turned out for the best. If I could change one single thing about the Oilers/Titans/Texans "triangle" and the Houston-Nashville connection it would be to have left the "Oiler history" that so many people (myself included) care about in Houston as was done in Cleveland. If every single other part of it went down the exact same way I think that one little item would go a long way towards putting all the animosity behind us. At least the animosity stemming from the move. All the bad blood between the Texans and Titans should come from events on the field, not events in Bud Adams conference room 8 years ago.

Even if we didn't use it (the name) it would still be completely "ours" and Nashville would have had the equivalent of an expansion team only it would have been well established as were the Baltimore Ravens. Everyone would have won in that scenario and then threads like this one could stay about the player who was retiring and not drift inevitably into an Oiler/Titan slap fight.

And I'm not knocking you at all for saying it Texan Bill. Like I said, I had the exact same thought.

Congrats on a very good career Steve McNair. Kick back and enjoy not getting your chest crushed this year. HOF? I just don't think so. Very, very good but not HOF material.
Old 04-17-2008   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I thought that, and then I reconsidered and decided that it almost all turned out for the best. If I could change one single thing about the Oilers/Titans/Texans "triangle" and the Houston-Nashville connection it would be to have left the "Oiler history" that so many people (myself included) care about in Houston as was done in Cleveland. If every single other part of it went down the exact same way I think that one little item would go a long way towards putting all the animosity behind us. At least the animosity stemming from the move. All the bad blood between the Texans and Titans should come from events on the field, not events in Bud Adams conference room 8 years ago.

Even if we didn't use it (the name) it would still be completely "ours" and Nashville would have had the equivalent of an expansion team only it would have been well established as were the Baltimore Ravens. Everyone would have won in that scenario and then threads like this one could stay about the player who was retiring and not drift inevitably into an Oiler/Titan slap fight.

And I'm not knocking you at all for saying it Texan Bill. Like I said, I had the exact same thought.

Congrats on a very good career Steve McNair. Kick back and enjoy not getting your chest crushed this year. HOF? I just don't think so. Very, very good but not HOF material.
Good points and duly noted...
Old 04-17-2008   #9
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing Arrow View Post
Quote:
Exactly. I remember being excited that the Oilers drafted him.

Congrats an a good career Steve. You were one tough hombre.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #10
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 97853 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Good Luck Steve,

I wish you could have finished as an Oiler.
Old 04-17-2008   #11
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Congrats on a great career. I wish we had locked your ass out sooner you ungrateful loser you know it is a privillage to play for the rug and you should have played for free like we wanted you to.
I will fix it for you. Isn't this what you really ment because this is how the team treated him.
Old 04-17-2008   #12
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

One of the few, fan friendly events I ever remember Dud having was when the Oilers actually had a draft party the year Steve was drafted. One of my fondest memories is of being able to stand on the 50 yard line of the Astrodome that day.

Have a great life Steve. Sorry that the Titans ripped you off and kicked you to the curb like a dog.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #13
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

If he gets a year with a weak class, he will make it in to the HOF.
Old 04-17-2008   #14
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_ya_blue View Post
Not the sharpest tool in the shed, but a raw athlete.
Funny.

He was Vince Young's mentor when he was growing up.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #15
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Funny.

He was Vince Young's mentor when he was growing up.
The Wonderlic doesn't lie.
Old 04-17-2008   #16
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember eating fried chicken with him on the tailgate of his Ford pickup in the parking lot of the dome after a game against Cincy which was the second to the last game ever played in Houston. I was getting his autograph and his family busted out chicken and he offered me some.

If I am not mistaken, this is marks the last of the originally drafted Houston Oilers. Am I correct or is someone else out there still?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #17
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I remember eating fried chicken with him on the tailgate of his Ford pickup in the parking lot of the dome after a game against Cincy which was the second to the last game ever played in Houston. I was getting his autograph and his family busted out chicken and he offered me some.

If I am not mistaken, this is marks the last of the originally drafted Houston Oilers. Am I correct or is someone else out there still?
Eddie George in 1996... Also several rounds later - Jon Runyan.
Old 04-17-2008   #18
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Eddie George in 1996... Also several rounds later - Jon Runyan.
I'm talking about guys still in the league playing. If I'm not mistaken Steve Mcnair is the last of them.

Also Runyan I thought Runyan was drafted when they were the Tennessee Oilers.
Old 04-17-2008   #19
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

On another note, if the Texans FO wants to call Baltimore about acquiring a 2nd for Sage, they can use my cell phone.
Old 04-17-2008   #20
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I'm talking about guys still in the league playing. If I'm not mistaken Steve Mcnair is the last of them.

Also Runyan I thought Runyan was drafted when they were the Tennessee Oilers.
I guess I read your first post wrong... Anyway it would only be John Runyan. And, he was drafted the same year as Eddie George - as a Houston Oiler.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read