Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-18-2008   #41
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jethro Franklin Interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
i remember C.C. Brown making a few big plays in the backfield on a blitz. Miami I think? hmmmm Or was it Earl? I hate one of them, can't tackle. I like the other one. The one who can.
It was Earl. He got a sack on the first play of the game against Miami, in 2006-07. This past year he didn't play because of the pre-season injury.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008   #42
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

Where did I say bring out the pink soap for Richard Smith? .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
If there is someone better out there and available, I would like to get him because I have little faith that Smith can turn it around.
http://texanstalk.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
I always try to hope that out of bad stuff, good stuff happens. That if a defense is so obviously clueless, maybe this means that we can get rid of Richard Smith, for example.
http://texanstalk.com/forums/showpos...9&postcount=37

---------------------
We get it. You don't like Smith as DC because of no track record, lack of identity and repeated trauma. We all want the same thing and frankly I don't care who's right or wrong. Whether Smith can turn it around will most likely be answered this year and if the defense doesn't improve significantly he's probably done. Ours may be a case of too many cooks in the defensive kitchen, especially this year with the addition of Rhodes to a very veteran staff.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008   #43
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I think #2 thru #5 are all dependent on #1.

If you want to cut it down to the bare bones, #1 IS the defensive philosophy. Kubiak has much as said so. I agree with this philosophy. I know a lot of people don't, because like I mentioned earlier, that multi-million dollar front 4 isn't doing that consistently enough without "manufacturing a rush with the blitz" . . . (his own words)

I think that's the philosophy, and I think it should be the philosophy

You send more people in on a blitz to make up for the lack of a rush by the front four, then you can't disguise it, they'll know it's coming, and then they'll burn that man to man coverage that Faggins is forced to use.

For all the money that's being spent on that defensive line . . . that philosophy is sound. And I think with a little more playing time under their belts, that philosophy will be proven.

Is this the philosophy or is this what we are doing because the Texans can't blitz without exposing the backside because of personnel, injuries and inexperience?

I'm not asking that to be rude. I'm asking this because I really do not know.

I thought that this is what the Texans were doing because that was what was working the best. That the team tended to do worse when they blitzed.

If that is the philosophy, it is not what I would identify as an aggressive 4-3.
Old 04-18-2008   #44
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
http://texanstalk.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=12

http://texanstalk.com/forums/showpos...9&postcount=37

---------------------
We get it. You don't like Smith as DC because of no track record, lack of identity and repeated trauma. We all want the same thing and frankly I don't care who's right or wrong. Whether Smith can turn it around will most likely be answered this year and if the defense doesn't improve significantly he's probably done. Ours may be a case of too many cooks in the defensive kitchen, especially this year with the addition of Rhodes to a very veteran staff.
Wow. It's nice to know that you are paying that much attention. I only brought this philosophy stuff up in this thread because Marcus asked me directly about this subject matter. And I brought it up in the blog post because most readers there do not read what I write here.

There's a time when it makes sense to fire your defensive coordinator if you are going to do it, and that time this year has already passed. I was hopeful that maybe a change would happen in the early offseason if they could find a 4-3 guy who was better, available and interested. No sense beating the drums for him to be canned now. It would be nice to know what he is doing though.

At this point of the year, I am mostly looking to see what players make sense for drafting for whatever the defense they are running. The Jethro Franklin interview were a few breadcrumbs tossed our way giving some idea of what their thought processes.

I do think that there is a concern with too many cooks, especially from very varied backgrounds. As for being a very veteran staff, the Texans staff has a random mishmash of kind of odd backgrounds. Lots of different coaching trees. Rhodes ends up having the most relevant experience in running the show, yet he is an assistant to a guy whose only NFL coaching experience is working for the Texans. Strange.

All this being said, I would be interested to hear your insight of what you believe Smith's plan for the defense is. I bring up the issue of "no philosophy" with sort of the hope that someone here actually does know what the plan is.That maybe I've missed something.
Old 04-19-2008   #45
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
I loved the comments about Travis Johnson! Watching him at the games last year I really felt like he was playing with a higher "motor" than anyone on the field other than maybe Robinson. I remember him flying sideline to sideline (and picking up 15 for a late hit) but he was flying. Making tackles in the numbers, taking up space in the middle. I thought he played outstanding. I've been trying to defend him all year. I think he is playing great. I'd like to see him improve against the pass but as a tackler and a ball hawk, I think he's really doing well.
Yeah his best play of the year: Had his head up his kister, missed his rotation. comes onto the feild at the last second ...litterally so late onto the feild, he couldn't get into his stance at the snap of the ball...good two feet out of position....and the qb hits him dead in the chest with a pass...interception. better lucky than good I always say. He's a marginal player they were stuck with by a bad CC move. That is all he is. all he is ever going to be...He's an effort guy, not a first round tallent. and no adjective(s) in the world will ever change that. Costs more to ship him out than to keep him.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 04-19-2008 at 05:25 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008   #46
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wow. It's nice to know that you are paying that much attention. .
It's kind of hard not to notice, actually.

Quote:
I would be interested to hear your insight of what you believe Smith's plan for the defense is. I bring up the issue of "no philosophy" with sort of the hope that someone here actually does know what the plan is.That maybe I've missed something.
I'm guessing Smith's plan for his defense is to be tough against the run, get after the quarterback, force turnovers, and don't get beat deep. If they did all that, I'm guessing they would be better statistically and have the identity and readily apparent to fans philosophy you desire.

Last edited by aj.; 04-19-2008 at 07:51 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008   #47
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Yeah his best play of the year: Had his head up his kister, missed his rotation. comes onto the feild at the last second ...litterally so late onto the feild, he couldn't get into his stance at the snap of the ball...good two feet out of position....and the qb hits him dead in the chest with a pass...interception. better lucky than good I always say. He's a marginal player they were stuck with by a bad CC move. That is all he is. all he is ever going to be...He's an effort guy, not a first round tallent. and no adjective(s) in the world will ever change that. Costs more to ship him out than to keep him.
The Texans re-signed Earl to a 1 year deal on March 10.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-19-2008   #48
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Me think you need to go back and hear the Kubiak post game press conference again. The coaches sent him in late, he did not miss a rotation. Kubiak tried to override Franklin's call for Johnson to be on the field on that play, In the mean time, Johnson gets a bad rap for late substitution.Kubiak's comments on the int
Quote:
(on DT Travis Johnson’s interception) “That’s a heck of a substitution on (defensive line coach) Jethro’s (Franklin) part. I was screaming at him. I didn’t want him to sub guys in that situation. I’m over there raising hands, and Travis goes in there and gets a pick, so it was a good job by Jethro. I don’t like them swapping personnel like that.”
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008   #49
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

If we are going to be tougher against the run I'd like to see some more size in the middle of the field. DeMeco and both of our starting DT's are a bit on the smallish side so I'd like to see more of a two gap type player next to Okoye next year to keep the guards off Ryans. Playing tougher vs the run and getting teams in 3rd and longer is a key to playing better pass defense.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008   #50
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
If we are going to be tougher against the run I'd like to see some more size in the middle of the field. DeMeco and both of our starting DT's are a bit on the smallish side so I'd like to see more of a two gap type player next to Okoye next year to keep the guards off Ryans. Playing tougher vs the run and getting teams in 3rd and longer is a key to playing better pass defense.
To sort of play off this thought. TJ is pretty quick, but typically the run stoppers are big and not so quick. Could we get TJ to the size needed to be a run stopper and still have him be effective? Not saying, just asking.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008   #51
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
To sort of play off this thought. TJ is pretty quick, but typically the run stoppers are big and not so quick. Could we get TJ to the size needed to be a run stopper and still have him be effective? Not saying, just asking.
I think TJ's game probably suffers when he gets too heavy since most of his highlight moments center on his quickness. He's really good in pursuit and running to the ball since he moves well for a big man....I think he is getting better at the point of attack and perhaps the Texans think he can mature into the kind of player who can man the inside credibly...but I'm a cynic on that one.

Old 04-19-2008   #52
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
That's what I thought too, and that was what was so good about the interview, because LZ asked Franklin this specific question directly, and Franklin said that they had their guy, Travis Johnson. You know, the sort of question, in a perfect world, would you want a space eater, and Franklin said "The perfect world is what we have in Johnson."

So, it is hard to say whether Franklin is sticking up for the guy he has knowing he is unlikely to get anyone else, or if he really does want some more girth at the two-gap DT position.

I am thinking that if the defense wanted some big guys there, they would have got one in free agency. But the guys the Texans tend to acquire in that position are all about the same basic size. No beefy outlier.
Old 04-19-2008   #53
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
So, it is hard to say whether Franklin is sticking up for the guy he has knowing he is unlikely to get anyone else, or if he really does want some more girth at the two-gap DT position.

I am thinking that if the defense wanted some big guys there, they would have got one in free agency. But the guys the Texans tend to acquire in that position are all about the same basic size. No beefy outlier.
that's exactly why coach-speak has to be looked at with some cynicism. They may feel they can go with "swing tackles" like the offensive line system used by Kubiak. It's like getting the combo TV/VCR/DVD/game system/Home entertainment all in one system that give you the ability in all the areas you need but since none of it specializes you get something that can do many tasks but most of them are done in a mediocre manner.

Old 04-19-2008   #54
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
It's kind of hard not to notice, actually.

I'm guessing Smith's plan for his defense is to be tough against the run, get after the quarterback, force turnovers, and don't get beat deep. If they did all that, I'm guessing they would be better statistically and have the identity and readily apparent to fans philosophy you desire.

I do not understand why you are being sarcastic with me. Maybe defensive schemes and philosophies aren't interesting to you, but I think it is a legitimate thing to discuss on a MB, especially when there is nothing else going on.

As I said, I brought this subject up in the thread because Marcus asked me directly about it. And I have been interested in the discussion that has come up talking about it.

Yes, of course, all defenses want to do the things you enumerate and yeah, those are all the things that the Texans have done very poorly over the last three seasons. You listed the objectives of all defenses, and I find it interesting how there is no one scheme or philosophy that can lead to that result.

The Franklin interview, on its face, suggests that the Texans value speed to stop the run at the DT position, and not so much size. Even though Franklin has worked with big size/ guys who can move in his past at the DT position. I'd like to have a better sense of other things that they value on defense.

As I said before, this may be more of a function of the media not asking football-oriented questions on this subject and not a function of Smith not having a plan. And if he had a background as a 4-3 coordinator, we could look to that to see what the plan is, but we don't. So those of us who are interested in this sort of thing have to dig through the scraps to try to figure it out.

Sorry if I bored you with belaboring something you think isn't worth discussing. As you know as a writer, you can't make everybody happy with the things you write. It's just the way it is.
Old 04-19-2008   #55
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
that's exactly why coach-speak has to be looked at with some cynicism. They may feel they can go with "swing tackles" like the offensive line system used by Kubiak. It's like getting the combo TV/VCR/DVD/game system/Home entertainment all in one system that give you the ability in all the areas you need but since none of it specializes you get something that can do many tasks but most of them are done in a mediocre manner.
Agreed.

Sort of like how they discuss their safeties. How they say they don't put a premium of distinguishing between strong and free, but that may be more of a function of not having the ability to find a free safety of their liking while remaking the rest of the defense.

Besides, how would a sloppy fat DT survive our hot Houston training camps?
Old 04-19-2008   #56
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91511 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I do not understand why you are being sarcastic with me. Maybe defensive schemes and philosophies aren't interesting to you, but I think it is a legitimate thing to discuss on a MB, especially when there is nothing else going on.

As I said, I brought this subject up in the thread because Marcus asked me directly about it. And I have been interested in the discussion that has come up talking about it.

Yes, of course, all defenses want to do the things you enumerate and yeah, those are all the things that the Texans have done very poorly over the last three seasons. You listed the objectives of all defenses, and I find it interesting how there is no one scheme or philosophy that can lead to that result.

The Franklin interview, on its face, suggests that the Texans value speed to stop the run at the DT position, and not so much size. Even though Franklin has worked with big size/ guys who can move in his past at the DT position. I'd like to have a better sense of other things that they value on defense.

As I said before, this may be more of a function of the media not asking football-oriented questions on this subject and not a function of Smith not having a plan. And if he had a background as a 4-3 coordinator, we could look to that to see what the plan is, but we don't. So those of us who are interested in this sort of thing have to dig through the scraps to try to figure it out.

Sorry if I bored you with belaboring something you think isn't worth discussing. As you know as a writer, you can't make everybody happy with the things you write. It's just the way it is.
Well TC, AJ certainly does not need me to speak up for him, or come to his defense in any fashion, but I'm going to fess up and say I positive rep'd his obvious sarcasm. The reason why, is that he and I both find your statement "Where did I say bring out the pink soap for Richard Smith?" rather disingenuous at best, downright insincere at worst.

You need to go back to the beginning of this discussion and re-read. If you try, you'll see the obvious anti-Smith bias. You're a writer, you should be able to see it if you'd be honest with yourself. There are times that you try to disguise it with "well, maybe the media needs to do a better job" statements and the like, but believe me, you're not fooling anyone.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008   #57
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm going to say something that might not be very popular.

It's always looked to me like our problem with the running game is based on what we have in the middle of the field. I love Demeco but if he's going to be the middle linebacker, then we need bigger DT's in front of him to shield him. I think the original thought with Demeco was to have him on the outside but when we had injuries to our projected starting mike lb's, he got pressed into duty there and did a great job... EXCEPT he's at his worst when people run right at him and the DT's don't stuff it.

A few years ago, the Eagles' D was having a big problem stopping the run and it got fixed when they put big 300# Jeremiah Trotter in as the mike lb. I think our run D would improve with a big thumper in the middle and by moving Demeco to the outside.

Since it appears that our "philosophy" is to have smaller DT's, I'm not sure Demeco is the right guy in the middle.

The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008   #58
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I'm going to say something that might not be very popular.

It's always looked to me like our problem with the running game is based on what we have in the middle of the field. I love Demeco but if he's going to be the middle linebacker, then we need bigger DT's in front of him to shield him. I think the original thought with Demeco was to have him on the outside but when we had injuries to our projected starting mike lb's, he got pressed into duty there and did a great job... EXCEPT he's at his worst when people run right at him and the DT's don't stuff it.

A few years ago, the Eagles' D was having a big problem stopping the run and it got fixed when they put big 300# Jeremiah Trotter in as the mike lb. I think our run D would improve with a big thumper in the middle and by moving Demeco to the outside.

Since it appears that our "philosophy" is to have smaller DT's, I'm not sure Demeco is the right guy in the middle.

Maybe I'm just wearing my steel blue shaded glasses but I disagree. I think Demeco has the athleticism and instincts to be a great LB no matter where we line him up, but when I see our LB's missing plays and tackles in the run game it's rarely Demeco who's left grasping at air. I think a "space eating" DT would help in obvious run downs, but I don't think we'd see a significant improvement by moving Demeco outside unless we found a player of equal or similar caliber to fill his shoes at the mike, which is no easy thing. People are always toying with the idea of moving him to OLB, and I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just saying the guy's a pro-bowl MLB for us and in order to move him you need to find a suitable replacement or else you're just swapping one problem for another.

As an aside, the size of the DT's in front of Demeco (6-1, 240) reminds me of the situation with Ray Lewis (6-1, 250) in Baltimore a few years ago. Ray Lewis was at his best as a play maker with mammoth DT's like Tony Siragusa, Sam Adams, and Maake Kemoeatu in front of him to tie up blockers and let him run free. When they left via FA and retirement his production dropped, he made his concerns known, and they drafted Haloti Ngata to fill the void. Ray Lewis is certainly athletic enough to move around at linebacker, but he was a pro bowler and cornerstone of their D at MLB. Demeco is becoming the cornerstone of our D at MLB. If we make a change in personnel to help via the run I'd like to see it be made at nosetackle.

Last edited by Fox; 04-19-2008 at 04:22 PM.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008   #59
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
Maybe I'm just wearing my steel blue shaded glasses but I disagree.
You disagreed and then you didn't disagree.

Part of the point of my post is that I see us having 2 options for fixing our run defense:

1. Get bigger DT's to keep them off of Demeco (like they did with Ray Lewis back in the day)
2. Move Demeco to the outside and find a bigger runstuffing type of player for the Mike.

You agreed with me on option #1. However, if Franklin's interview is to be believed, they like the smallish DT's. So we're not going to go with #1.

When I go back and watch games, I see Demeco occasionally getting manhandled on the runs up the middle. Occasionally, he had guys run through him. It wasn't very often but it did happen.

And I'm not saying he's *not* a great LB. He's great wherever we line him up. But we need to design the defense to get the most out of him.

Last edited by The Pencil Neck; 04-19-2008 at 04:44 PM. Reason: I left out a "not".
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008   #60
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
You disagreed and then you didn't disagree.
Yea I kinda noticed that half way through but I'd already started so I just went with it, lol.

I see your point, I just like the idea of getting a bigger nosetackle more than finding a replacement for Demeco at the mike. It seems to me like it'd be easier to find a space eater than it would to find someone who could man the MLB as well or better than Demeco.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read