Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-15-2008   #21
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans best and worst draft picks

We probably wouldnt have picked mario williams if we did pick Julius Peppers instead of DC. But could you imagine our Dline

Mario Williams, TJ, Okoy, Juilius Peppers

Holy cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008   #22
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69042 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I've saw where someone said Charles Hill and Vernand Morency were busts but both were taken in the 3rd round and they are still playing on the teams they are with. Charles Hill actually had a great year last year with Tampa Bay and Morency has been a very solid servicable back for Green Bay.
I don't know if you're confusing Hill with Philip Buchannon, but the Charles Hill the Texans drafted was signed by the Bears but never played a game for them, and has been out of the NFL since then (2003).
ChampionTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008   #23
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69042 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post
We probably wouldnt have picked mario williams if we did pick Julius Peppers instead of DC. But could you imagine our Dline

Holy cow
In a perfect world, we'd still have drafted Mario because we never signed Anthony Weaver.
ChampionTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008   #24
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
In a perfect world, we'd still have drafted Mario because we never signed Anthony Weaver.
And we never would have drafted Jason Babin to play OLB in our 3-4.

oh what could have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008   #25
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
So, three guys are your 2 favorite picks... Those are all solid picks. Ill add Winston, DDW, and Faggins as well. For a CB drafted so low to even be on the team as long as he was is pretty cool. Ill also add Mario, because some teams would have felt pressured to take the glammer girls instead.

Bryant McKinnie(sp) the LT for Minnisota.
I cant believe Owen Daniels was a 4th rounder!! Guys like a younger dallas clark.
Old 04-15-2008   #26
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I don't know if you're confusing Hill with Philip Buchannon, but the Charles Hill the Texans drafted was signed by the Bears but never played a game for them, and has been out of the NFL since then (2003).
My bad, I think I am talking about White who we also drafted that same year. I don't know, but one guy was drafted by us and is now playing in Tampa. He had a good game against us this past year.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008   #27
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
My bad, I think I am talking about White who we also drafted that same year. I don't know, but one guy was drafted by us and is now playing in Tampa. He had a good game against us this past year.

only guy i remember was phil buchannon
Old 04-15-2008   #28
TexSon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 TexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVP

Quote:
Yeah, Greg White. I believe he was "Mr. Irrelevant" that year.
Old 04-15-2008   #29
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222469 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That was Greg White.

Not a 3rd round pick but a 7th round pick. Set the Texan pre-season sack record and then was cut by us. Bounced around. I think he ended up in Arena Football and played for Gruden's brother's team and then got a chance at Tampa Bay this year.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008   #30
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222469 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSon View Post
Yeah, Greg White. I believe he was "Mr. Irrelevant" that year.
We took 2 more guys after him. Last guy we took was Milford Brown.
Old 04-15-2008   #31
TexSon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 TexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
We took 2 more guys after him. Last guy we took was Milford Brown.
Didn't we take Brown in the supplemental draft? I think we had to give up a sixth for him.
Old 04-15-2008   #32
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSon View Post
Didn't we take Brown in the supplemental draft? I think we had to give up a sixth for him.
Yes. I read it wrong. Milford Brown was a supplemental pick and Ahmad Miller was our last pick of 2002.

My bad.
Old 04-15-2008   #33
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35494 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post

Holy cow
had we taken peppers, these could of probably been our future 1st round picks.

02: Peppers
03: Palmer
04: Fitzgerald or Roy Williams
05: Carlos Rogers
06: Hawk
07: Okoye
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008   #34
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

You gotta throw Mathis in there as one of the best. He did make a pro bowl.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008   #35
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
You gotta throw Mathis in there as one of the best. He did make a pro bowl.
No you don't when the oft injured miscreant couldn't make himself useful enough to even stay on the roster. Owen Daniels is a great 4th round gem as was DD. Mathis is someone who could have been and pissed it away.
Old 04-15-2008   #36
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
No you don't when the oft injured miscreant couldn't make himself useful enough to even stay on the roster. Owen Daniels is a great 4th round gem as was DD. Mathis is someone who could have been and pissed it away.
He made it to the pro bowl. That is value. He could have been better, but a fourth round pick making the pro bowl? He has to be on here. How many Texans drafted players have made the pro bowl?
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008   #37
Warren
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Warren is on the Pro-Bowl ballotWarren is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Charles Hill actually made the team his rookie year (2002) but played sparingly other than special teams. He never made another regular season roster other than the Berlin Thunder and the Orlando Predators. He was healthy and since he couldn't survive the cut with another NFL team, it wasn't (just) a case of him not fitting the system or being poorly coached when he was here -- he's just not an NFL player. For the 83rd pick in the draft, that's pretty bad and has to merit serious consideration for the Texans' worst pick ever. Even Tony Hollings managed to earn an NFL paycheck for a few years.

By the way, Greg White had eight sacks last year for the Bucs. White racked up a lot of frequent flyer miles bouncing around on practice squads, camp rosters, arena ball, and NFL-Europe before finally making it in Tampa Bay.
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008   #38
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
If we hadent picked david carr who would u have choosen ?????? has a QB how would of we know David would be a bust he was at the time looked like a sure fire good pick
David Carr did not look like a sure fire good pick. Everyone except the Texans front office thought Peppers was the #1 rated player in that draft. It was a horrible decision to draft a QB the first year. Even if Bosseli would of worked out. We should of signed a veteran QB like Dilfer and built the trenches up.

There were alot of QB's coming out in the following years that would of been better choices than Carr. Because of Capers success in Carolina, Casserly got over confident and went for our FRANCHISE QB. It cost him his job and us lots of heart ache. Thank god that’s all over and we finally have people running our team that have things in perspective.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #39
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Charles Hill actually made the team his rookie year (2002) but played sparingly other than special teams. He never made another regular season roster other than the Berlin Thunder and the Orlando Predators. He was healthy and since he couldn't survive the cut with another NFL team, it wasn't (just) a case of him not fitting the system or being poorly coached when he was here -- he's just not an NFL player. For the 83rd pick in the draft, that's pretty bad and has to merit serious consideration for the Texans' worst pick ever. Even Tony Hollings managed to earn an NFL paycheck for a few years.

By the way, Greg White had eight sacks last year for the Bucs. White racked up a lot of frequent flyer miles bouncing around on practice squads, camp rosters, arena ball, and NFL-Europe before finally making it in Tampa Bay.
Glad to see you here Warren....I was a bit shocked when we released White after his huge sack day in the preseason. My theory back then was that he wasn't overly bright after hearing him speak.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #40
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8652 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Glad to see you here Warren....I was a bit shocked when we released White after his huge sack day in the preseason. My theory back then was that he wasn't overly bright after hearing him speak.
If I remember correctly the C & C claimed that White's sacks were "easy" sacks which made it easier to cut him. But I am of the opinion that 4 sacks is 4 sacks any way you slice it...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read