Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-14-2008   #1
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans best and worst draft picks

Just thought it would be interesting to see who you think is the Texans best and worst draft picks over the years.

This has a list of all the draft picks we've made over the years

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...aft_selections

Here's my best and worst

Best:

1. Andre Johnson - The guy should be a superstar but he doesn't get the publicity like other receivers. His time will come though

2. DeMeco Ryans - The guy's going to be a beast for years and years. Many more Pro Bowls to come.

3. Dunta Robinson - Before his injury he was on his way to being a top flight CB IMO. Hopefully he can recover back to full speed.

Worst (this list could go on forever. Thanks Casserly):

1. David Carr - Duh.

2. Bennie Joppru - Ugh. I think the only highlight I remember from him is during the 2006 training camp or mini camp and he made a good catch in the end zone. In fact, that's the only time I think I've seen him on the field period.

3. Jason Babin - I can't remember what exactly we gave up to trade up and grab him, but it was way too much.

4. Tony Hollings - Another waste of a 2nd rounder

5. Vernand Morency - Waste of a 3rd rounder

What are you best and worst picks by the Texans?

I think it's too early to put Mario as one of the best picks yet. He had one average to slightly below average year in 2006 and a good year in 2007.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008   #2
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35494 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans best and worst draft picks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnRb1X_bGMw

"nuff said..." LMAO!
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008   #3
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Just thought it would be interesting to see who you think is the Texans best and worst draft picks over the years.

This has a list of all the draft picks we've made over the years

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...aft_selections

Here's my best and worst

Best:

1. Andre Johnson - The guy should be a superstar but he doesn't get the publicity like other receivers. His time will come though

2. DeMeco Ryans - The guy's going to be a beast for years and years. Many more Pro Bowls to come.

3. Dunta Robinson - Before his injury he was on his way to being a top flight CB IMO. Hopefully he can recover back to full speed.

Worst (this list could go on forever. Thanks Casserly):

1. David Carr - Duh.

2. Bennie Joppru - Ugh. I think the only highlight I remember from him is during the 2006 training camp or mini camp and he made a good catch in the end zone. In fact, that's the only time I think I've seen him on the field period.

3. Jason Babin - I can't remember what exactly we gave up to trade up and grab him, but it was way too much.

4. Tony Hollings - Another waste of a 2nd rounder

5. Vernand Morency - Waste of a 3rd rounder

What are you best and worst picks by the Texans?

I think it's too early to put Mario as one of the best picks yet. He had one average to slightly below average year in 2006 and a great year in 2007.
fixed*
Old 04-14-2008   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

CC Brown, Fred Bennett, and Owen Daniels are two of my favorites. They aren't our best players, but to getsolid starters out of late picks is always a boost.
Old 04-14-2008   #5
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 76785 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Somewhere on this list should be the name of Charles Hill. He was a DL drafted in the third round of the '02 draft. He was cut prior to the Texans first regular season game.

Picked by an expansion team in the third freakin' round, and he can't make it out of training camp? That's some fine pickin' there CC & Dom!

Another nit to pick on this is that Joppru needs a huge asterick if he should be on this list at all. No injury history in college, and no evidence to say what kind of pro he would have been. The case for CC being incompetent in virtually every phase of his job is quite strong without including the unfortunate Mr. Joppru.
ChampionTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008   #6
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

If we hadent picked david carr who would u have choosen ?????? has a QB how would of we know David would be a bust he was at the time looked like a sure fire good pick
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008   #7
YellerLotYeller
nice marmot

Rep Power: 187 YellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
If we hadent picked david carr who would u have choosen ?????? has a QB how would of we know David would be a bust he was at the time looked like a sure fire good pick
Boselli was a sure fire pick too.
YellerLotYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-15-2008   #8
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Julius Peppers...

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008   #9
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48915

best worst .funny stuff

about #1 draft pics..

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48411
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008   #10
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Julius Peppers...
Second that
Old 04-15-2008   #11
YellerLotYeller
nice marmot

Rep Power: 187 YellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Julius Peppers...
Can you prove Peppers would have been a better pick than Carr?
YellerLotYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008   #12
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is not hindsight for me - because I'm a firm believer in building up your O and D-lines before anything else... Peppers was by far the best choice of any offensive or defensive linemen (and really, the ONLY one that could have been justified at that time as the #1 overall pick.) So by my way of thinking, Peppers was the way to go.

That said - if Peppers doesn't rebound and have a few more great years, you can't say in retrospect he would have been worth the top overall pick either. He should be in the prime of his career right now.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Worst

1. Tony Hollings was easily the worst. total of 4 games played @ RB, then coming off a season ending ACL. not only was he supplemental pick I doubt he would have been drafted & it cost the Texans the first pick of the 2nd rd.

2. Jason Babin, productive small school prospect, undersized with short wingspan 3rd/4th rd prospect moved up & traded almost the whole draft to get the Titans 1st rd. pick thus helping them re-tool on the run.

3. David Carr, #1 overall not such a reach at the time but like stated in many threads unless the guy is true franchise QB you don't spend a top 5 or even top 10 on a guy like that.

Best

1. Mario Williams, in the face of all that pressure they resisted popular demand & made the right selection, that takes guts. not only that he turned out to be the once in a decade defensive lineman.

2. Dunta Robinson, excellent cb best in draft above DeAngelo Hall, could have taken Ben Rothelisberger but he would have been wasted behind that OL.

3. Amobi Okoye, great young DT with tons of upside. very lucky he dropped to #10 IMO. passed on a great LB Patrick Willis, but with DeMeco as our starting MLB it made sense to give Mario a running mate & look what happened.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008   #14
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

All time worst.

1. Charles Hill - 3rd

2. Jason Babin - 1st

3. Tony Hollings - 3rd

4. Seth Wand - 3rd

5. David Carr -1st

Jabar Gaffney gets an honorable mention.

Who am I kidding, the 2003 and 2004 draft was horrible. I list them all except for DRob and AJ. No wonder we went 2-14 in 05.

Best moves

1. AJ

2 Ryans

3 DRob

4 Winston

5 Williams

Bennett gets an honorable mention

OD gets an honorable mention.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008   #15
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
CC Brown, Fred Bennett, and Owen Daniels are two of my favorites. They aren't our best players, but to getsolid starters out of late picks is always a boost.
So, three guys are your 2 favorite picks... Those are all solid picks. Ill add Winston, DDW, and Faggins as well. For a CB drafted so low to even be on the team as long as he was is pretty cool. Ill also add Mario, because some teams would have felt pressured to take the glammer girls instead.

Quote:
Julius Peppers...
Bryant McKinnie(sp) the LT for Minnisota.
Old 04-15-2008   #16
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

If he hadn't had his career shortened, Domanick Davis in the 4th round was a great pick at the time.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008   #17
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I've saw where someone said Charles Hill and Vernand Morency were busts but both were taken in the 3rd round and they are still playing on the teams they are with. Charles Hill actually had a great year last year with Tampa Bay and Morency has been a very solid servicable back for Green Bay.

As for bad picks:

Jason Babin
David Carr
The rest are the bad FAs Casserly brought in.

Good picks:

Owen Daniels
Eric Winston
Domanik Davis
Dunta
Andre
Demeco
Freddie B
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 231518 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I've saw where someone said Charles Hill and Vernand Morency were busts but both were taken in the 3rd round and they are still playing on the teams they are with. Charles Hill actually had a great year last year with Tampa Bay and Morency has been a very solid servicable back for Green Bay.
I think you've got Charles Hill and Greg White confused.

I think Greg White was a 7th round pick for us (?).
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008   #19
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

OMG http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKi5-...eature=related

Seriously though D Davis was a steal. for awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008   #20
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post

As for bad picks:

Jason Babin
David Carr
The rest are the bad FAs Casserly brought in.

Good picks:

Owen Daniels
Eric Winston
Domanik Davis
Dunta
Andre
Demeco
Freddie B
FYI, Hill was a Panther last season and didn't play 1 game. I believe you're thinking of Greg White. He ran around Salaam (who doesn't) a few times and had 2 sacks.

Morency had 108 rushing yards and 199 receiving yards. He hasn't been a "solid servicable" back either. He's been hurt every year.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read