Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-12-2008   #1
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Rick Gosselin's first mock

Here it is. He has us passing on Chris Williams. I just don't see it. Of course he will tweak it as the draft gets closer.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....532bcdf5.html
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008   #2
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Gosselin's first mock

can't really argue with any of the picks
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

This is the first of three Rick Gosselin mock drafts. It is based on a draft board compiled through discussions with NFL talent evaluators. This mock draft primarily adopts the best-player-available philosophy. Next weekend's

everything is right here.

if I may be so bold "compiled through discussions with NFL talent evaluators" could these be former GM's like our own Charlie Casserly

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008   #4
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

"18. Houston Mike Jenkins CB South Florida
Comment: Help for the NFL's 25th-ranked pass defense
19. Philadelphia Chris Williams OT Vanderbilt
Comment: Heir apparent to William Thomas at left tackle"
Who really belives this secenario will play out if Williams is on the board for
us ? The obvious pick for the Texans here would be Williams, but historically Denver does not draft running backs or OLineman in high rounds but they do for corners. I dunno, but maybe Gosselin thinks Denver South will behave accordingly ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008   #5
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I very much doubt that we pass on Williams unless Gibbs just doesn't want him for what ever reason.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008   #6
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30855 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

As beerlover said. Gosselin's first mock is purly BPA, it's better to think of it as the top 31 players in the draft then a true mock.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008   #7
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66536 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
I very much doubt that we pass on Williams unless Gibbs just doesn't want him for what ever reason.
Gosselin's good - or at least better than most (IMO), and I pay more attention to it than anything Kiper or McShay spew out. It is however far from perfect - last year his final mock draft had the Texans taking Darelle Revis, and Amobi dropping into the early 20's. But I'll give him credit for spending his time and using his contacts to compile football information and not to land movie roles.

Two similarities between this mock and LZ's latest one that I find interesting are that DRC goes at #16 (Gosselin), and #18 (LZ), lower than most mocks I've seen lately, and that Jonathan Stewart goes before the Texans pick in both mocks (#12 in Gosslin's and #13 in LZ's).

And yes, I think if it comes down to Williams or Jenkins, they take Williams in a heartbeat.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-13-2008   #8
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
"18. Houston Mike Jenkins CB South Florida
Comment: Help for the NFL's 25th-ranked pass defense
19. Philadelphia Chris Williams OT Vanderbilt
Comment: Heir apparent to William Thomas at left tackle"
Who really belives this secenario will play out if Williams is on the board for
us ? The obvious pick for the Texans here would be Williams, but historically Denver does not draft running backs or OLineman in high rounds but they do for corners. I dunno, but maybe Gosselin thinks Denver South will behave accordingly ?
how'd you figure?

denver has taken portis and bell in the 2nd/3rd rd (not to mention we tried to take deangelo williams in the 1st in '06).. they took george foster in the first too

they've take cb's foxworth, paymah and williams in the 3rd rds.. they're the only cb's i can remember drafting anyway high.. who am i missing?
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008   #9
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Gibbs is only going to be here for a few years, he doesn't have the convinience of a franchise LT. Knowing this, I'm not sure how much his opinion would be taken into consideration for the long term plan of the Houston Texans. See my point?
Old 04-13-2008   #10
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66536 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
Gibbs is only going to be here for a few years, he doesn't have the convinience of a franchise LT. Knowing this, I'm not sure how much his opinion would be taken into consideration for the long term plan of the Houston Texans. See my point?
Actually, no.

I can't tell whether you're thinking Gibbs would or wouldn't want a 1st Rd. OLT. In terms of his opinion being taken into consideration, I agree that Gibbs is likely a 2-3 year presence with the Texans, but keep in mind that Kubiak is going to be around for a long time (or at least is approaching things as if that's the case), and didn't bring Gibbs in to run the ZBS for 2-3 years and then switch to something else when Gibbs leaves. They've got Gibbs giving input on O-Linemen, and Rhodes giving input on D-backs, and I believe they'll be listening intently to both.
Old 04-13-2008   #11
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Actually, no.

I can't tell whether you're thinking Gibbs would or wouldn't want a 1st Rd. OLT. In terms of his opinion being taken into consideration, I agree that Gibbs is likely a 2-3 year presence with the Texans, but keep in mind that Kubiak is going to be around for a long time (or at least is approaching things as if that's the case), and didn't bring Gibbs in to run the ZBS for 2-3 years and then switch to something else when Gibbs leaves. They've got Gibbs giving input on O-Linemen, and Rhodes giving input on D-backs, and I believe they'll be listening intently to both.
I don't think Gibbs will want to draft a o-lineman in the first. I absolutly agree that his input will be a foundation for this franchise long after he's gone, but I also think that Smithiack will have to go with their gut instinct. I have every reason to believe that we'll go with a franchise LT if one is still available even if our Assistant Head Coach disagrees. Again, my reason for this is that we have no franchise LT....a luxury Gibbs was always afforded.
Old 04-13-2008   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
how'd you figure?

denver has taken portis and bell in the 2nd/3rd rd (not to mention we tried to take deangelo williams in the 1st in '06).. they took george foster in the first too

they've take cb's foxworth, paymah and williams in the 3rd rds.. they're the only cb's i can remember drafting anyway high.. who am i missing?
Since 2000 Denvers top pick has been a CB 3 times, while in the same period their combined total for OLineman & running backs as their top pick is 1.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Since 2000 Denvers top pick has been a CB 3 times, while in the same period their combined total for OLineman & running backs as their top pick is 1.
But I wonder if the fact that both of those corners in the 1st round (O'Neal & Middlebrooks) ended up busts for the Broncos would give Smith & Kubiak qualms. Remember, they weren't the ones pulling the trigger on those picks.
Old 04-13-2008   #14
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we go Williams in that situation too. Both are good players who meet a need. But Jenkins has some character concerns. Williams doesn't.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008   #15
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
But I wonder if the fact that both of those corners in the 1st round (O'Neal & Middlebrooks) ended up busts for the Broncos would give Smith & Kubiak qualms. Remember, they weren't the ones pulling the trigger on those picks.
Plus, there's many who believe the Portis for Champ Bailey trade was simply Denver saying that they were good at drafting RB's, and not so good at drafting CB's.
Old 04-13-2008   #16
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Plus, there's many who believe the Portis for Champ Bailey trade was simply Denver saying that they were good at drafting RB's, and not so good at drafting CB's.
Or that they were willing to pay top dollar for a CB, but not a RB.

Some point to the Denver model and say Smith & Kubiak will/won't do that. They could just as easily look back at what the Broncos have done and say "We shouldn't have done that." Not everything Denver did turned to gold, and they should have learned from those mistakes.
Old 04-13-2008   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I like DRC but if Gibbs says he wants Williams he gets Williams.

If Williams & DRC are there @ 18 you've got to take Williams. It's one kidney vs two. With this said I think DRC is one of five special players in this draft.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008   #18
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I find it comical to think that the Texans would pass on a potential franchise LEFT TACKLE for a cornerback.

Even if Spencer was coming back 100% in the offseason, this franchise has needed a true LT to keep their QB clean. And just like QB, whats better than having one good starting left tackle? Two good starting left tackles.

Cornerback is a need. We have Bennett, Reeves, Faggins along with some backup role players. Also Robinson should be back 1/2 way.

I guess it all depends on what you value higher. CB or LT.

IMO when you spend $$$ on a QB like Shaub, and a LT can make your RB's better, and your WR get more time to get open its a no brainer.

I know that better corners mean the Dline has more time to get to the QB, but I also feel that with an excellent front 7 you just need the corners to cover long enough.

I also feel that Phillips would be a good choice. Im not a big fan of our safties. Besides Demps they all seem so ordinary.

To recap.

Chris Williams
Kenny Phillips
Cornerback - Except Talib.

p.s. Very funny about John Mc using his contacts to get roles in movies... I cant stand that guy.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008   #19
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30855 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
I find it comical to think that the Texans would pass on a potential franchise LEFT TACKLE for a cornerback.

Even if Spencer was coming back 100% in the offseason, this franchise has needed a true LT to keep their QB clean. And just like QB, whats better than having one good starting left tackle? Two good starting left tackles.

Cornerback is a need. We have Bennett, Reeves, Faggins along with some backup role players. Also Robinson should be back 1/2 way.

IMO when you spend $$$ on a QB like Shaub, and a LT can make your RB's better, and your WR get more time to get open its a no brainer.

I know that better corners mean the Dline has more time to get to the QB, but I also feel that with an excellent front 7 you just need the corners to cover long enough.

I also feel that Phillips would be a good choice. Im not a big fan of our safties. Besides Demps they all seem so ordinary.

To recap.

Chris Williams
Kenny Phillips

p.s. Very funny about John Mc using his contacts to get roles in movies... I cant stand that guy.
It would be comical if that was what Goose w2as saying, too bad it's not.

He simply went BPA at each pcik, and is it that much of a stretch that Jenkins might be considered a better player then Williams?
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008   #20
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post

To recap.

Chris Williams
Kenny Phillips

Did you say Kenny Phili..brp...ugh sorry I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read