Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-12-2008   #1
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19314 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Who's expected to be availale at 18

(edited to add one more Mock)
I do this just to help myself keep track of things, but figured others might find it interesting. I was interested in figuring out who is certainly gone, likely gone, etc. by pick 18. So, I looked at 6 mock drafts all from April 10 or 11 (Rang and Reuter from nfldraftscout.com, Lance Z. from the Chronicle, nfldraftcoundown.com, and Don Banks from SI, Gosselin from the DMN).

All 6 mocks agreed that the following 13 players would be taken in the first 17 picks:
Jake Long
Glenn Dorsey
Chris Long
Matt Ryan
Vernon Gholston
Darren McFadden
Sedrick Ellis
Leodis McKelvin
Ryan Clady
Derrick Harvey
Devin Thomas
Branden Albert
Rashard Mendenhall

That leaves 4 others who will be gone before the Texans pick. Based on those mocks, the ones who might be gone are:
Keith Rivers (gone in 5 of the 6, and all five had him in top 10)
Jeff Otah (gone in 5 of the 6)
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (gone in 4 of the 6)
Chris Williams (gone in 3 of the 6)
Philip Merling (gone in 2 of the 6)
Jonathan Stewart (gone in 2 of the 6)
Mike Jenkins (gone in 1 of the 6)
Jerod Mayo (gone in 1 of the 6)
Dan Connor (gone in 1 of the 6)

So, Rivers and Otah are likely gone. Unfortunately, DRC and Williams are the next most likely - if either slips a bit, I think they'd be prime candidates for the Texans to consider. If they're both gone, I'd expect the Texans would be trying to decide between Jenkins and Stewart.

Last edited by keyser; 04-12-2008 at 01:54 PM.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008   #2
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who's expected to be availale at 18

you could do a lot worse than having to pick between Jenkins and Stewart at 18.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
you could do a lot worse than having to pick between Jenkins and Stewart at 18.
your absoultly correct sir, as a matter of fact I expect Jonathan Stewart to have a bigger impact than say someone taken #2 overall back in 05

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008   #4
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 5042 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
I do this just to help myself keep track of things, but figured others might find it interesting. I was interested in figuring out who is certainly gone, likely gone, etc. by pick 18. So, I looked at 5 mock drafts all from April 10 or 11 (Rang and Reuter from nfldraftscout.com, Lance Z. from the Chronicle, nfldraftcoundown.com, and Don Banks from SI).

All 5 mocks agreed that the following 13 players would be taken in the first 17 picks:
Jake Long
Glenn Dorsey
Chris Long
Vernon Gholston
Matt Ryan
Darren McFadden
Sedrick Ellis
Leodis McKelvin
Derrick Harvey
Ryan Clady
Devin Thomas
Branden Albert
Rashard Mendenhall

That leaves 4 others who will be gone before the Texans pick. Based on those mocks, the ones who might be gone are:
Keith Rivers (gone in 4 of the 5, and all four had him in top 10)
Jeff Otah (gone in 4 of the 5)
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (gone in 3 of the 5)
Chris Williams (gone in 3 of the 5)
Philip Merling (gone in 2 of the 5)
Mike Jenkins (gone in 1 of the 5)
Jonathan Stewart (gone in 1 of the 5)
Jerod Mayo (gone in 1 of the 5)
Dan Connor (gone in 1 of the 5)

So, Rivers and Otah are likely gone. Unfortunately, DRC and Williams are the next most likely - if either slips a bit, I think they'd be prime candidates for the Texans to consider. If they're both gone, I'd expect the Texans would be trying to decide between Jenkins and Stewart.
K - Nice work, but remember there are always some guys that the amatuers have going in the 1st that will go in the rds 2-3 and vice versa. I'm really hoping that one of the Lts (Williams or Clady) fall to us.

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

LZ thinks that player who falls into the Texans lap is DRC & he very possibly could based on his medical condition (one Kidney) light frame, small school background compounded by lack of expereince. That should help Jenkins for a team addressing cb, looks like Stewart is moving back up the boards & one of those tackles should still be there, could be Williams

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read