Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-11-2008   #1
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default possible Texans trade partner?

If true, it seems to me from most mocks that we'll be right where the Steelers may want to move up to get their man. Would we trade away a shot at Stewart for a second rounder?

"As Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette points out, nineteen years have passed since the Pittsburgh Steelers used a pick in round one or two of the draft on a running back.

Nineteen.

The last guy who earned that distinction was Tim Worley, a bust of a first-rounder in the 1989 draft.

Prior to that, fellow bust Walter Abercrombie was a first-rounder in 1982, as was bust Greg Hawthorne in 1979. Bust Sidney Thornton was a second-round pick in 1977.

The last high-profile pick at running back who performed well on a consistent basis for the Steelers? Franco Harris, 1972.

In the post-Noll era, the Steelers have gotten by with guys like Barry Foster (fifth round, 1990), Bam Morris (third round, 1994), Amos Zereoue (third round, 1999), and Willie Parker (undrafted, 2004).

Oh, and then there was Jerome Bettis. The Steelers traded for him in 1996.

This time around, the Steelers are taking a long look at Oregon running back Jonathan Stewart, a five-foot-ten, 235-pound bruiser who would conjure memories of the five-eleven, 255-pound Bus.

Even though Stewart is recovering from toe surgery, he could be the teamís first-round pick at the No. 23 overall selection.

But what about Parker? Hereís the reality. Heís a speed back who simply canít carry the ball 25 times per game, 16 games per year over the next decade. The Steelers need to spread out the touches, or Parker simply wonít last.

Besides, with the offensive line taking a couple of big hits via the retirement of Jeff Hartings and the departure of Alan Faneca, the Steelers might need someone a little heavier and/or stronger than Parker to locate and/or get through whatever holes there might and/or might not be.

Sure, the Steelers still have Najeh Davenport under contract. But even though he recently was acquitted on charges of assaulting the mother of his child, our guess is that the Steelers would send him packing before the start of the regular season, if the other guys on the depth chart are otherwise healthy and ready to go after training camp and the preseason."

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/...ranchise-back/
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 181825 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: possible Texans trade partner?

Unless the Texans could convince the Steelers that they will take Stewart at #18, why would Pittsburgh trade up? The teams between Houston & Pittsburgh (Eagles, Bucs, Skins, Cowboys) probably aren't looking at Stewart.
Old 04-11-2008   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Pittsburgh loves Stewart, had him for a visit yesterday, http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...rce=rss&feed=3

my question would be if you pass on Stewart & make that trade who do you target @ #23? + extra late 3rd (#88)?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #4
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Pittsburgh loves Stewart, had him for a visit yesterday, http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...rce=rss&feed=3

my question would be if you pass on Stewart & make that trade who do you target @ #23? + extra late 3rd (#88)?
I might have to look at:

Pick #23- Antoine Cason (could be picked by Dallas at 22) or Calais Campbell (could be picked by Washington at 21)

3rd Round- RB Kevin Smith, OL Oneil Cousins... I'm drawing a blank on some 3rd round OL/CB guys. Zuttah from Rutgers? Godfrey is looking like he won't last till our 3rd unfortunately.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #5
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The thing about it, they think if we do not trade down we could very well take him. So offer an incentive to trade down and pick up more picks.
Old 04-11-2008   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
The thing about it, they think if we do not trade down we could very well take him. So offer an incentive to trade down and pick up more picks.
We could take Stewart, maybe Dallas would look at him (although aren't Barver and Stewart somewhat similar?), maybe Seattle trades in front of Pitt to take Stewart or another team can easily jump in front of them the take him too.

Off topic but I think if a Dorsey/Ellis fall to the Ravens, the Saints may call them knowing that the Bengals would select him. Ravens may move down knowing the Bengals won't take Matt Ryan or a CB like Jenkins/McKelvin. But after the trade, another team may trade with the Bengals to steal Ryan away from the Ravens. That would really involve a lot of *stuff* happening but sure would be fun to watch!
Old 04-11-2008   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I might have to look at:

Pick #23- Antoine Cason (could be picked by Dallas at 22) or Calais Campbell (could be picked by Washington at 21)

3rd Round- RB Kevin Smith, OL Oneil Cousins... I'm drawing a blank on some 3rd round OL/CB guys. Zuttah from Rutgers? Godfrey is looking like he won't last till our 3rd unfortunately.
so your willing to pass on elite talent in favor of two positional needs?

thats of course assuming Stewart is still on the board @ #18

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Sponsored links
Old 04-11-2008   #8
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Pass on elite? If Stewart was so elite he would be a top 5, a good back with upside, yes. I have to say like I have all along, I am not a fan of picking a RB in the first round. I think the best place to pick one is in the second ... Yes I know we do not have one. So it would be the third.
Old 04-11-2008   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
Heís a speed back who simply canít carry the ball 25 times per game, 16 games per year over the next decade.
When will these dummy reporters/draft analists (no that isn't a typo) stop this myth?

25 rushes a game is 400 on a season. The top guy last year had 325. Only one RB (Johnson in '06) has reached that mark in years.
Old 04-11-2008   #10
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Doesn't Stewart have a turf toe problem?
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #11
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
When will these dummy reporters/draft analists (no that isn't a typo) stop this myth?

25 rushes a game is 400 on a season. The top guy last year had 325. Only one RB (Johnson in '06) has reached that mark in years.
And [Insert Player] is to small to be an elite back, he just cant take the pounding like other backs can.
Old 04-11-2008   #12
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

That's also assuming Stewart is an elite talent. I'm actually a big fan of Stewart so I don't want to sound like I'm bashing him, I think he's a great player but I'm not sure I'd call him elite.

One could argue that Calais Campbell is an elite talent. Just that the production for 2007 didn't meet his talent. I also think that Campbell is a much bigger risk that Stewart would be though.
Old 04-11-2008   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
And [Insert Player] is to small to be an elite back, he just cant take the pounding like other backs can.
you can just add your own remark into [Insert Player]

Quote:
If Stewart was so elite he would be a top 5
Adrian Peterson #7
Laurence Maroney #21
DeAngelo Williams #27
Steven Jackson #24

what you don't want to do is reach for a RB in the top 5 & have to pay them big you take them later as other teams pass bpa over & over then make them earn that 2nd contract. I have every confidence in the world that Jay Stew earns a signficant bump in salary whoever drafts him prior to his free agency. the players below will be hard pressed to do that or even accept a pay cut in another gig

Reggie Bush #2
Ronnie Brown #2
Cedric Benson #4
Cadillac Williams #5

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-11-2008   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
That's also assuming Stewart is an elite talent. I'm actually a big fan of Stewart so I don't want to sound like I'm bashing him, I think he's a great player but I'm not sure I'd call him elite.

One could argue that Calais Campbell is an elite talent. Just that the production for 2007 didn't meet his talent. I also think that Campbell is a much bigger risk that Stewart would be though.
thanks for your response. as you know I'm quite fond of you & not trying to bash your statement just trying to get you to take another look at excatly what your saying. first if anything you can trust my evaluation of Stewart, elite + player in every facet for position. they (God) just don't build them everyday like this kid, he is thick, pure in his love for the game, clean on & off the field, intelligent, strong, quick, soft hands, exceptional vertical with explosion, vision to see the cutback lanes, blocking assignments, runs with power etc,etc, etc, the only & I mean the only knock on him is his durability. this goes with the terrirtory for the postion don't you think?

Nolan Nawrocki, PFW - The most complete back in the draft, Stewart could be misevaluated because of the spread offense in which he played and his deceptive, short-stepping style. But he is a load to tackle, possessing a unique blend of speed, power and strength and should be able to make an immediate impact in the pros the way he did in college. A very safe pick with Pro Bowl-caliber talent. Could easily fit into the top 10 and be the first back drafted.

But thats getting off subject, just wanted to address/support opinion of elite rb. the question is, regardless of position or a teams need do you pass on bpa or in this case an elite talent who has the potential to be a star in the league & literally help carry your team into the playoffs? in exchange to fill more needs? don't NFL teams always have needs? how often do you have the chance to add a superstar? I'm saying if your lucky (not you Lucky) once a year, with your 1st rd. draft pick

Imagine being set @ RB for the first time ever in Texans history with Gibbs effective coaching style in the running game

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-11-2008   #15
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

The way I see it is, if we go RB and draft JStew then we also filled a need but with a guy who is a remarkable talent. And same goes for CB, S, or LT.

I like JStew but there could be others in the later rounds and the other positions are just as much of a need.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Stewart's turf toe surgery should correct and allow him on field no later than 3rd game. Depending who is on board projected to be avail at 23 and a second round I would do the trade. Not for a 3rd. Players I'd be interested in @ 23? Chris Williams (Our Lads say 23 to Steelers) Otah, Cherilus, Baker at left tackle & maybe Jamaal Charles. In 2nd that might be there, Forte, Godfrey, Chris Johnson, Tony Hills. On further thought if I could get Williams at 23, I would take a 3rd.

If I could get Williams at 23, Forte in 2nd and Godfrey in 3rd wow. I think Sage for a two comes down draft day.
Old 04-11-2008   #17
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
But thats getting off subject, just wanted to address/support opinion of elite rb. the question is, regardless of position or a teams need do you pass on bpa or in this case an elite talent who has the potential to be a star in the league & literally help carry your team into the playoffs? in exchange to fill more needs? don't NFL teams always have needs? how often do you have the chance to add a superstar? I'm saying if your lucky (not you Lucky) once a year, with your 1st rd. draft pick

Imagine being set @ RB for the first time ever in Texans history with Gibbs effective coaching style in the running game
I think trading down and filling two needs would be the better option, if, and only if those players performed up to the level 'we' think/hope they can. Guess that's a little too, 'well yea duh OMT'...

To get back to your point- We really would have such an identifiable Offense and array of weapons with Matt Schaub, Andre Johnson, Owen Daniels, and Jonthan Stewart behind Gibbs' new and improved O-Line. Then hopefully Jacoby develops into a big threat opposite AJ. I think the OL will become real good regardless, it's just a matter of time, but Gibbs will get us there.

Come on Beerlover, just when I'm really getting excited about possibly drafting a guy like Williams/Albert for the OL, or some Defense talent to continue to build a stellar D- you go and get me excited about really how good our offense could be once we have a strength in our RB's with the addition of J.Stew!
Old 04-11-2008   #18
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Possible Texans trade partner?
Buffalo...
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Come on Beerlover, just when I'm really getting excited about possibly drafting a guy like Williams/Albert for the OL, or some Defense talent to continue to build a stellar D- you go and get me excited about really how good our offense could be once we have a strength in our RB's with the addition of J.Stew!
my bad

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-12-2008   #20
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

ahmen Green is our Stewart. He has two years left on his contract.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read