Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-14-2008   #41
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Travis Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
TJ was able to get his hands up and deflect 5 passes and cause a couple of interceptions. 41 tackles from the DT position isn't too bad. It's not great but it's not too far from the 50-55 that I'd like to see him get. We've definitely got other positions more in need of upgrading.

I mean, Warren Sapp (an old and broken version) got 50 tackles and 2 sacks. I'd like that sort of production from TJ.

Amen. While not yet lived up to the 1st round pick, for reasons which can be debated, he's definately shown to improve and no one can say he's hit his ceiling yet. I wouldn't want to toss him out to gamble on a 3rd or 4th round pick today. He plays with alot of emotion much like other players on the team, but his emotion comes through as nasty, which I like. I think others feed off it. I'm more of a casual fan, as I don't have my phd in X's and O's, but for the time being, I'm contempt to say the primary job of the guys in the middle is run stopping, whether making the tackle or feeding to the lb's and the texans are doing a good job in that department. I would rather see ANY pick in this years draft go to ANYthing else than a DT.

We have more pressing needs. Travis is just fine for now.

Over the years, I've read "just a few" comments on all of Houston's DL draft busts...One other thought I've had watching them come out of their shell last season is how much of this can be attributed to coaching? Are we witnessing a better coaching staff take a group of guys that have been tagged as underachievers and making them better? That would imply that the previous regime wasn't getting it done. They didn't get it done in Miami either... If we can get another DB to compliment Dunta when he returns, I really like how this D is shaping up, and I'll be suprised if the Texans D-Line doesn't get high praise around the league.
Trail.Blazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008   #42
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I have no problem with him in the rotation, but if we could score another couple of 3's, Id love to look at Red Bryant. He would be awsome.
Old 04-14-2008   #43
Polo

When people say TJ "hasn't lived up to his first round pick", what are we comparing him to ?

Are we also keeping in mind that since TJ's been a Texan he's really only spent one year (an injury filled yr) being the "play making" DT ?

TJ is really talented...Yes he probably wasn't as motivated as he should've been in the past, but I think that the guy deserves a bit of a break...I think aome are looking to replace a guy who is not even close to needing to be replaced...
Old 04-14-2008   #44
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

agreed. if i go down the list of guys that are worth replacing o even worthy of DISCUSSING weather or not they should be replaced,STILL, Travis Johnson doesn't fall into that list. He played very well last year. he doesn't need to be replaced or even considered. he made a play or two more than anthony weaver but anthony has that lovely smile and calming voice so lets keep him in there!
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008   #45
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 51 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he does a lot of the nasty work in the trenches that coaches like. I think he just has to keep his emotions in control, so not to get dumb penalties.
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008   #46
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Put me down as a TJ supporter. I also predict he will have a really good year this year and shut up all the haters.
mussop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008   #47
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 71958 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

I think some are missing the point. Its not whether or not TJ has got talent, was or is a bust, or even the question of can he make plays. The question at the moment is what is TJ's role.

TJ is a 1 gap DT and that role is being occupied by one Mr. Amobi Okoye.

TJ is not a 2 gap, never will be a 2 gap.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-15-2008   #48
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I think some are missing the point. Its not whether or not TJ has got talent, was or is a bust, or even the question of can he make plays. The question at the moment is what is TJ's role.

Actually you are the one missing the point. The point is the Texans DO NOT want a 2 gap DT like we know them. They (the coaches) want a guy that can move sideline to sideline not a big fat guy. So that is his roll. Really his roll is whatever the d line coach says that it is. The coaches like the way TJ plays and have said this on the radio. This has basically been posted before. Its too bad you didnt see it the first time.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008   #49
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post

Jethro Franklin pretty much said that at the moment they aren't looking for the big one gap DT's...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read