Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-11-2008   #21
Polo

Default Re: Travis Johnson

TJ was our best DT last yr and it's really not even close.

He didn't register the sacks, but he was very active in both passing and running support...

Okoye hit a rookie wall (I think the kids a beast, just wasn't consistent)

I like Maddox too, but I just don't have enough of a sample size to say he was better than anyone....I think he's good, but to say he had a better yr than TJ is just hating...lol...J/K...kinda...
Old 04-11-2008   #22
Polo

And according to Jethro Franklin TJ is the man.

They don't want a big clogger at DT, they like what TJ brings...

Heard that outta the mans mouth...
Old 04-11-2008   #23
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
The thing about TJ to me is that he's just not consistently a very good player and he was a waste of the pick. The Texans routinely bring in street free agents that play at or above TJ's level. He's got strength, size, and speed enough to be good but his motor is a problem. His heart is a problem. He's not the player he should have been at that spot in the first round.

Personally I wish the Texans could find somebody who wanted him. I'd take a 2 for him in an instant and consider a 3 or hell even a 4.

3's and 4's selected by Kubiak and Smith have a better chance of success than Charlie Casserly did with his 1's. I'd love to see the Texans try to move TJ. Maybe they could convince someone that he just needs a change of scenary. Find a 3-4 team that thinks maybe he could still do the NT thing for them. Use his Trent Green incident to try and draw comparisons to Haynesworth. Surely Matt Millen is stupid enough to give up a 3 for Travis Johnson right?

Think about it this way. Last year TJ really picked up the pace and what happened? He climbed all the way up to maybe the 3rd best DT on the team. That's not good enough.
Bengals are pretty desperate for DT help. Might be able to convince them he needs a change of scenery.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #24
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 249951 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

TJ was able to get his hands up and deflect 5 passes and cause a couple of interceptions. 41 tackles from the DT position isn't too bad. It's not great but it's not too far from the 50-55 that I'd like to see him get. We've definitely got other positions more in need of upgrading.

I mean, Warren Sapp (an old and broken version) got 50 tackles and 2 sacks. I'd like that sort of production from TJ.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #25
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

So now is every discussion about a player that someone doesnt like gonna turn into a "what do you think we can get for him?" discussion? We can't trade away half the team, sorry.
Old 04-11-2008   #26
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

he needs to play smarter. good rotational tackle but not a starter. gives the Texans depth & thats all many 1st rd. picks ever end up being. I like the fact they where able to trade down & still get value (Winston) + pick but if TJ was their target they should have traded down again, kept stock piling picks then if they missed it wouldn't be so obvious

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #27
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 50492 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
So now is every discussion about a player that someone doesnt like gonna turn into a "what do you think we can get for him?" discussion? We can't trade away half the team, sorry.
So what do you guys think we can get for Greenwood and CC Brown?

Whe should also try and move Green, we should at least be able to get a 6th round pick for him.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-11-2008   #28
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Okoye is a one gap DT or also be referred to as a 1 technique DT, meaning that his assignment is one hole or one gap and will usually engage only one lineman. He is used more for pass rushing than he is for stopping the run.
like pappy said, you're a tad confused on your gaps... travis plays the 2 alright although he was projected as a 3 tech coming out (like amobi- who does play the 3).. a 1 tech is basically a NT in the 3-4 (i think)

i like travis.. he hasnt complained about being played out of position and despite being somewhat undersized to play the 2, has performed admirably and has done a good job in tying up blockers to let demeco do his thing.. not to mention he fires up the other guys and has a little edge to him

we're not trading him... nor do i want to
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #29
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

TJ is one of the players I have identified to focus on this year. Kube's talk with him seemed to have positive results. I want him to cut down on his penalties and make another positive step forward. I think Mario's growth helped TJ last year and having a healthy Weaver should also do wonders for TJ. Having said that, I would take a 3 for him and weep for joy to get a 2. A comment on "trading half the team" game me a chuckle. Sage is the only player causing a ripple in trade discussion.

This is a make or break season for TJ.
Old 04-11-2008   #30
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329528 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
TJ was able to get his hands up and deflect 5 passes and cause a couple of interceptions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
he needs to play smarter.
Both very true statements. Folks miss how much TJ disrupts the passing lanes and it is a heads up recognition of if I am not going to get the QB I will disturb him. At the same time, he is an emotional player (which is good to a degree) who needs to learn and dedicate himself to his assignments.
Old 04-11-2008   #31
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 52245 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
And according to Jethro Franklin TJ is the man.

They don't want a big clogger at DT, they like what TJ brings...

Heard that outta the mans mouth...
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
TJ was able to get his hands up and deflect 5 passes and cause a couple of interceptions. 41 tackles from the DT position isn't too bad. It's not great but it's not too far from the 50-55 that I'd like to see him get. We've definitely got other positions more in need of upgrading.

I mean, Warren Sapp (an old and broken version) got 50 tackles and 2 sacks. I'd like that sort of production from TJ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
like pappy said, you're a tad confused on your gaps... travis plays the 2 alright although he was projected as a 3 tech coming out (like amobi- who does play the 3).. a 1 tech is basically a NT in the 3-4 (i think)

i like travis.. he hasnt complained about being played out of position and despite being somewhat undersized to play the 2, has performed admirably and has done a good job in tying up blockers to let demeco do his thing.. not to mention he fires up the other guys and has a little edge to him

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Both very true statements. Folks miss how much TJ disrupts the passing lanes and it is a heads up recognition of if I am not going to get the QB I will disturb him. At the same time, he is an emotional player (which is good to a degree) who needs to learn and dedicate himself to his assignments.

The only one I have seen on this team so far.

And I thought I was the only one here who appreciated TJ...

Old 04-11-2008   #32
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 50492 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have also heard or read somewhere or talked to people that call it a 1 tech, quick search in Wiki calls him the 3 or 4 tech and the nose 0 tech.

Quote:
The linemen on the offensive line up a few feet away from each other. This leaves gaps between the linemen. These gaps are both lettered and numbered, as shown below. The gap between the guard and tackle is called the B gap. If you are a defensive tackle lined up in the B gap, but shifted over a bit towards the guard, you're called a 3-technique. If you were lined up in the same gap but shifted over a couple feet to line up on the tackle's shoulder, you would be a 4-technique. If you line up directly facing the center, you're called a nose tackle or a 0-technique.
Whatever the name for him this week A.O. is the pass rushing DT and Johnson plays the run stopper.

Quote:

He shouldn't complain, he still has a job. Johnson has all the right tools to be a good DT but his time with the Texans has come and gone with the drafting of A.O.

If the Texans are going to continue to improve and compete for not only division titles but also championships, than we need to continue to upgrade positions, including Johnson's spot.

Old 04-11-2008   #33
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329528 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
The only one I have seen on this team so far.

And I thought I was the only one here who appreciated TJ...

I like TJ's emotion but I would add to the list, Demeco, Mario, AJ (he just doesn't show it but there is a fierce determination there) Winston, Walter, Daniels and Schaub as players who certainly are hanging it out.

Quote:
I have also heard or read somewhere or talked to people that call it a 1 tech, quick search in Wiki calls him the 3 or 4 tech and the nose 0 tech.
Things get confused with nomenclature. Coming out of college, TJ was regarded (like Omobi) as a 1 gap DT. He has since been assigned to a 4-3 NT or 2 gap responsibility.
Old 04-11-2008   #34
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I like TJ's emotion but I would add to the list, Demeco, Mario, AJ (he just doesn't show it but there is a fierce determination there) Winston, Walter, Daniels and Schaub as players who certainly are hanging it out.
how could you leave out freddy? hes #2 on my list after travis (and dunta)
Old 04-12-2008   #35
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Since Johnson playing out of position as nose tackle, why is it even necessary to use a nose tackle in a 4-3? Why not line up both tackles in the gap between the center and either guard, or over either guard?
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008   #36
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange View Post
Since Johnson playing out of position as nose tackle, why is it even necessary to use a nose tackle in a 4-3? Why not line up both tackles in the gap between the center and either guard, or over either guard?
B/C if you have two 1 gap tackles there will always be an OLineman free to beat up your LB's. There are 5 OL and only 4 DL so you need someone to be able to take on two OL leaving your LB free to make a play.

Also, with a two gap there is only one run lane open that the LB will be assigned to -vs- having two run lanes open.

Old 04-12-2008   #37
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

this thread has confused me, 1 gap 2 gap blah blah blah, i like travis, may never be a pro bowler but pro football is his career. all we need is another de to have a beastly front line
ATXtexanfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008   #38
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
B/C if you have two 1 gap tackles there will always be an OLineman free to beat up your LB's. There are 5 OL and only 4 DL so you need someone to be able to take on two OL leaving your LB free to make a play.

Also, with a two gap there is only one run lane open that the LB will be assigned to -vs- having two run lanes open.
I don't understand this logic. If you line up someone directly over the center, one guard will be completely free to come off the line and block a LB. If both DT's line up in the gaps outside the center but inside the guards, wouldn't that be more likely to force those three offensive linemen to block those two defensive linemen?
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008   #39
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

from another forum reviewing the '05 draft
http://www.nfluk.com/usersession_new...threadid=33082

Quote:
16. Travis Johnson - DT - Houston Texans

Johnson, drafted out of Florida State, is yet to make an impact in the league. He saw game time in 15 games in his rookie year, starting 3. He produced numbers of 26 tackles and 1 sack. His second year was interrupted by injury and he only made 11 tackles all season. Last year saw the most substantial game time of his career, plaing 15 games and starting 13 alongside Amobi Okoye. His numbers were not spectacular (41 tackles) although he did get an interception.
Decision: At the moment I'm undecided, but he needs a good year next year. If he can stay injury free, I envisage a good year as he is playing in a line that contains Mario Williams and Amobi Okoye.
and a post in response to that from one of the respected mods of the forum (in case anybody thought it was me or a texans fan)

Quote:
I think you're being harsh to Travis Johnson, he had a really good season this year and was a much strong presence against the run the Okoye and IMO outshone the much heralded youngster. He's never likely to provide that big pass rushing threat inside to collapse the pocket from DT but he proved to be very stout against the run this year, not what the Texans had hoped for but I think another solid season will allow him to avoid bust status and establish himself as a soid starter at DT.
Old 04-13-2008   #40
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange View Post
I don't understand this logic. If you line up someone directly over the center, one guard will be completely free to come off the line and block a LB. If both DT's line up in the gaps outside the center but inside the guards, wouldn't that be more likely to force those three offensive linemen to block those two defensive linemen?
This is the simplest way I can explain it:

6 T 4 G 2 C 1 G 3 T5 The number indicates the hole#'s
O O O O O

X X X X
DE DT2 DT1 DE

A 2 gap DT will take the Guard and Center as well as the 2 and 4 gap while the 1 gap DT will take either the 1 or 3 gap and the Guard.

Again this is basic and the DT's will line up line up in different spots depending on formations, down and distance, personnel, ect. There are hundreds of different variations but hopefully you get the idea.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read