Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-11-2008   #41
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Todd Mcshay says he'd take Chris Long over Mario!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
Total Access is a staple at my house. It's the hour of NFL-N I dont miss every evening at 6. Schefter usually breaks stuff. Lombardi just presented an interesting scenario just now about McFadden falling to the Bengals, citing seven premium OLs and DLs going in the top ten being the better investment of multi-millions, the short shelf life on RBs, and using Reggie Bush as an example of all boots no cattle - followed by debate with Eisen and Faulk.

Faulk is right there with Emmitt in his dullness though. Yesterday he said (during a discussion of OLs) that there's "a lot of Walter Jones' out there" in the context of some team taking either a CB or RB high in the first and waiting on an OL for later. Yeahright....

Between NFLTA, Florio's site, and redzone or Sportspages that's about all you need to stay up with what's going on.

I honestly don't know who Todd McShay is, so I guess I'm not missing much. But I don't understand why it would upset people for someone to say that Chris Long might be really really good. Long is going to be a top five pick and in the right situation he could make a major impact in his rookie season.....

The look on the Dolphins fans faces (not to mention Quinn) when Goodell said the name 'Ted Ginn' is as priceless as any Jets fan draft day meltdown...
I think that everybody that has posted in this thread agrees that Long will be a really good pro.

The problem I have is that McShay told an outright lie about Long being faster than Mario. You would think that with all the resources that ESPN has at their disposal, they could just look into that before saying it on live TV.

To me, it goes back to the whole thing where the Texans just dont matter to the national media, so they dont care whether they're doing us justice or not.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #42
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post

To me, it goes back to the whole thing where the Texans just dont matter to the national media, so they dont care whether they're doing us justice or not.
What the national media thinks is not something high on my care radar (whether it's good think or bad think). Maybe it's just me but I don't get too spun up about the whole disrespect thing. The national media is like the flag I'm looking at right now. Yesterday it was blowing out of the south. Today out of the north. I care about the Texans W/L record. The rest takes care of itself.

I care more about our local coverage (or lack of) because there's a friggin gold mine of information over at Reliant Park that doesn't get reported/featured as it should.

Last edited by aj.; 04-11-2008 at 07:24 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #43
Texaninlild
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4558 Texaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Texaninlild

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotexan2 View Post
Well everyone knows that VY would have made a better than either of them. They didn't say that, but I but jerome soloman would.
Yeah..you just keep smoking that orange stuff out of Austin.

I am a Christian

Philippians 4:13
Texaninlild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #44
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I care more about our local coverage (or lack of) because there's a friggin gold mine of information over at Reliant Park that doesn't get reported/featured as it should.
Why don't you do something about that AJ ? Step up and give us that info !
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #45
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Why don't you do something about that AJ ?
Because I don't have a media credential. But I have seen what's behind the curtain many times over the past several years. No need to re-hash how poor our local print media coverage is.
Old 04-11-2008   #46
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Because I don't have a media credential. But I have seen what's behind the curtain many times over the past several years. No need to re-hash how poor our local print media coverage is.
I used to get media credentials even after I had gotten out of basketball for two years, regardless of market. You know the biz, you know this town and you know football inside and out....there has got to be a way.

This community is not huge, but TexansTalk (you are a contributing member here) does pull second rank on Google on a Houston Texans web search and as our team scales, then good coverage needs to scale with it.

Unfortunately, there are not that many people who care about the Texans, locally in the media, to drive the national media.
Old 04-11-2008   #47
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181498 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Credentials or no credentials, AJ is one of those that one can trust to relate information that is “straight” and unfettered.......... when available to him.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-11-2008   #48
aj.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
...there has got to be a way.
Precedent says not.

I'll spare you the copious and gory details.
Old 04-11-2008   #49
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Heh, let the haters keep on keepin' on. Meanwhile, Mario is working out, getting stronger and faster, and getting ready to sniff 20 sacks next season.

If I was ever going to buy a jersey, I would very loudly, very proudly wear Mario's.
Chris, answer me honestly. Were you for the Mario pick 2 years ago or were you for Reggie or Vince? Just asking.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #50
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281 View Post
chris long is gonna be a helluva pro... he has the potential to be as good or better than mario. we'll find out soon enough, though. there's nothing wrong with mcshay's opinion.
Chris Long at DE? Isn't this guy kind of a tweener? I really don't think he is even the best DE in the draft. I think he gets a lot more play than he deserves because of his HOF dad. I don't like his chances at DE because out of 64 starting DEs in the NFL last year 12 were lightskinned guys. Talk to me about Long when he reaches the status of say...Kampman, Kearney, Jared Allen or Vandenbosch. Right now I', putting money on him to be another Jason Babin.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #51
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would certianly vote to get AJ a press credential.
Old 04-12-2008   #52
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1298 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I honestly don't know who Todd McShay is, so I guess I'm not missing much. But I don't understand why it would upset people for someone to say that Chris Long might be really really good. Long is going to be a top five pick and in the right situation he could make a major impact in his rookie season.....
yeah, that. jeez you guys, stop being such freakin homers... i love mario, but i think chris long is gonna be a good one too. just wait and see. who'll be better? i really don't know at this point, and neither do any of you.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008   #53
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1298 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Except for the fact he was wrong when saying that Mario ran some slow times (even though he ran 4.6) and then immediately following that up by saying Chris Long's 4.75 40 is plenty fast for him (despite the fact he ran slower than Mario despite being smaller).
fair enough. i'm simply saying, chris long is gonna be good one. just my opinion. i could care less about 40 times... ESPN gets things like that wrong all the time, we know... move on.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008   #54
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I think a lot of people see the name behind Chris Long, great bloodline, great motor guy, great character with good measureables. I'm just wondering how much of the national attention he gets is because of the name behind him. Guy hasn't taken a snap in the NFL either so it's kind of unfair to say anything yet. I'd feel comfortable with people saying his game translates to X player.

I think for people like Todd McShay the way that now famous draft has gone down two years later Mario has come back to bite them big time. Honestly a DE is measured by sacks and pressure. Last year Mario ended third in the NFL. By similar comparisons the measures for Running backs and QBs neither Vince or Bush have done anything remotely similar. They might be able to say Vince has gotten the Titans to back to back playoff births but looking at his play and stats this year it becomes evident that.... well he might've contributed but the defense and running game pulled that team. Soon as Deuce went down Reggie's along with the Saints season was doomed. Payton might be behooved to look at game tapes of Dave Meggett.

I hope articles like these keep trickling in and they make their way to Mario's locker with push pins or tape. Would love to see us take a flyer on Blake from TCU in the 4th or 5th. Weaver might be healthy this year but I expect him to have one foot half way out the door this year(barring some miraculous season).
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008   #55
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I think a lot of people see the name behind Chris Long, great bloodline, great motor guy, great character with good measureables. I'm just wondering how much of the national attention he gets is because of the name behind him. Guy hasn't taken a snap in the NFL either so it's kind of unfair to say anything yet. I'd feel comfortable with people saying his game translates to X player.
I'd say Long compares with the Titans' Kyle Vanden Bosch. Good size, speed, and tremendous effort. Long didn't put up sack numbers until his senior year, but you have to remember that he played DE in a 3-4 defense. It's more difficult for a DE to get to the edge in that defense, and much easier for him to be double teamed. Long is too small to play a 3-4 DE at the pro level, which is why some 3-4 teams have worked him as a OLB. But really, Long is a 4-3 DE who has the skills to play either side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
They might be able to say Vince has gotten the Titans to back to back playoff births...
They could say it, but they would be wrong. The Titans didn't make the playoffs in Young's rookie season.
Old 04-12-2008   #56
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I'd say Long compares with the Titans' Kyle Vanden Bosch. Good size, speed, and tremendous effort. Long didn't put up sack numbers until his senior year, but you have to remember that he played DE in a 3-4 defense. It's more difficult for a DE to get to the edge in that defense, and much easier for him to be double teamed. Long is too small to play a 3-4 DE at the pro level, which is why some 3-4 teams have worked him as a OLB. But really, Long is a 4-3 DE who has the skills to play either side.

They could say it, but they would be wrong. The Titans didn't make the playoffs in Young's rookie season.
Thanks for the comparison and yep i did boot that last statement. I should've said winning seasons.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008   #57
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 97370 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

What ESPiN does to the viewers

Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008   #58
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

what's the big deal?

the fact that Mario was the comparison benchmark - instead of Gaines Adams or Jared Allen or someone else - speaks volumes of grudging respect. But you guys are totally ignoring that fact. By using Mario for comparison to the "best" lineman in this draft, Long, they're admitting they were wrong in '06.

At least, that's the way I see it.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008   #59
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
what's the big deal?

the fact that Mario was the comparison benchmark - instead of Gaines Adams or Jared Allen or someone else - speaks volumes of grudging respect. But you guys are totally ignoring that fact. By using Mario for comparison to the "best" lineman in this draft, Long, they're admitting they were wrong in '06.

At least, that's the way I see it.
I'm pretty sure they just said "Mario Williams" because he was the last big name DE drafted really high (Gaines Adams did not have Mario Williams style hype).

All in all, I think that Mario and Chris are probably going to end up competing against each other for the title of "Sack King" in just a few years, but that's just because I think Long is a guy that has a lot of the skills you can't really teach (Heart, guts, motor).
Old 04-12-2008   #60
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Long didn't put up sack numbers until his senior year, but you have to remember that he played DE in a 3-4 defense. It's more difficult for a DE to get to the edge in that defense, and much easier for him to be double teamed.
As I said earlier in this thread, my vote definitely goes to Mario anyway, but this is a good point about Long and really a testimony to his ability as a pass rusher since he was able to compile an impressive sack total (12, 13, whatever in '07 ?), from a defensive scheme that isn't the most advantagous for a pass-rushing DE to play from.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read