Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-10-2008   #21
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Re: Todd Mcshay says he'd take Chris Long over Mario!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
if by "got the Saints to the NFC championship" you mean "Happened to be a saint the year that they got to the NFC championship"..you are absolutely correct.
Tell that to Kiper, he's never wrong you know!!!
Old 04-10-2008   #22
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
If any of these 'experts' were so smart, they'd be working for an NFL team instead of just talking about NFL teams.
It's comments that those that bring more attention to ESPN, especially the website. There's no such thing as journalistic integrity on TV, just about everything they do is done for ratings.

On another note, the NFL Network isn't as good as it used to be. I used to watch it every day for hours, but now I'll only watch one show if that.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #23
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1298 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

chris long is gonna be a helluva pro... he has the potential to be as good or better than mario. we'll find out soon enough, though. there's nothing wrong with mcshay's opinion.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #24
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
On another note, the NFL Network isn't as good as it used to be. I used to watch it every day for hours, but now I'll only watch one show if that.
I agree. My problem with NFLN is they repeat so much stuff. I know it's hard to have new fresh stuff all the time, but they repeat the same stuff 20 times a day it seems.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #25
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35494 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Kiper still thinks Indy shoulda taken Leaf instead...
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #26
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281 View Post
chris long is gonna be a helluva pro... he has the potential to be as good or better than mario. we'll find out soon enough, though. there's nothing wrong with mcshay's opinion.
Except for the fact he was wrong when saying that Mario ran some slow times (even though he ran 4.6) and then immediately following that up by saying Chris Long's 4.75 40 is plenty fast for him (despite the fact he ran slower than Mario despite being smaller).
Old 04-10-2008   #27
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Except for the fact he was wrong when saying that Mario ran some slow times (even though he ran 4.6) and then immediately following that up by saying Chris Long's 4.75 40 is plenty fast for him (despite the fact he ran slower than Mario despite being smaller).
Thats what gets me, Long doesnt even truly have a position in the NFL. Hes kind of a tweener, to small for end, to slow for OLB. Im not saying he isnt a player, but he is a pretty big risk.
Old 04-10-2008   #28
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see all the fuss. Chris Long is going to be the penultimate pro player. I've never seen a college player play as hard as Chris week in week out. His motor never stops. If they were both in the draft, of course I'd pick Mario because he is already a 10+ sack NFL player. ButI think both are very good
Old 04-10-2008   #29
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I don't see all the fuss. Chris Long is going to be the penultimate pro player. I've never seen a college player play as hard as Chris week in week out. His motor never stops. If they were both in the draft, of course I'd pick Mario because he is already a 10+ sack NFL player. ButI think both are very good
Did you not read my post? Mcshay's reasoning for the pick mentioned none of these points. It was the speed difference which is an outright lie.
Old 04-11-2008   #30
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If that is true in what your saying then why are the Dolphins negotiating with Jake Long & Vernon Gholston? I like Chris Long but to be the overall #1 pick no way and Mario williams is a beast I would take Mario all day long over Chris Long.
Old 04-11-2008   #31
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Momma...I told you to wait out in the truck.

Signed..Chris
Old 04-11-2008   #32
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Chris Long should be a solid player in the NFL. I doubt he gets a lot of sacks but I think he'll just be an all around solid player that any team would love to have on the field and in the locker room.

Mario Williams is a guy that just has an ungodly amount of upside (going into the nfl). His ceiling is much higher than Chris' is, imo. I do think Chris is a 'safer' pick (higher floor), but we have the advantage of seeing Mario after 2 seasons in the NFL and can see he's developing quite nicely.

I think it also probably depends on what the team needs are and what schemes they may run as to who may be a better fit, but who knows.

All in all if we had to do the 2006 Draft over again and had to choose from Mario Williams, Reggie Bush, Vince Young, and Chris Long (if he was a senior then).... I'd choose Mario Williams.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #33
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Chris Long & Mario both turned 23 earlier this year, so they are the same age yet Mario has 2 years in the league, and has firmly established himself as one of the best young DLineman in the leauge, yet we don't really know how good Long will be ? Mario can play any position in the DLine of a 4-3 or 3-4, while Long does not have that kind of versatility. He's about 20 pounds heavier, with much better length (height and arms), and is more athletic. No brianer, Mario hands down. Actually I don't think Long is even the best DE in this Draft, that would be Vernon Gholston.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #34
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

WWTD? Bill Parcells has said that if he had the 1st pick in the 2006 draft, he would have selected Mario Williams. There's no doubt in my mind that he'd choose Williams over Long if both were coming out of the same draft. That's not a knock on Long, who is a top 10 prospect in any draft. Just that Mario is one of the top two defensive line prospects over the past 10 years.

Has Todd McShay ever gotten anything right? Seriously.
Old 04-11-2008   #35
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 296584 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
I agree. My problem with NFLN is they repeat so much stuff. I know it's hard to have new fresh stuff all the time, but they repeat the same stuff 20 times a day it seems.
But, you'd have to admit, The Network does make the off-season a little less lonely. The time between Super Bowl and the draft always seems like forever, but with NFLN, I can still get my football fix when I need it.

They do repeat a lot of stuff, but it's the slow news time of year for them. I bet it picks up after the draft and we get closer to camps.
Old 04-11-2008   #36
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
WWTD? Bill Parcells has said that if he had the 1st pick in the 2006 draft, he would have selected Mario Williams. There's no doubt in my mind that he'd choose Williams over Long if both were coming out of the same draft. That's not a knock on Long, who is a top 10 prospect in any draft. Just that Mario is one of the top two defensive line prospects over the past 10 years.

Just Say No, disregard/boycott Todd McShay period

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #37
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Not on his own.

Most of his "stuff" is stolen from Kiper & Mayock anyway.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #38
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Put Chris Long's motor in Mario's chassis and you would have one ungodly machine. Throw in a little anti-social nastiness (they're both very nice kids), and you'd have the ultimate defensive player.

Still, I have to think that Mario would be the choice over Long. You can theoretically train someone to go all-out, all the time, but you can't train someone to have Mario's size and athleticism.

That said, I would be surprised if the Dolphins pick someone other than Chris Long at #1. He's got the bloodlines and is a natural leader. He was groomed by one of Parcells' own lieutenants. His ability to bring it every down is off the charts. And his name is never going to show up on a police blotter.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #39
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
But, you'd have to admit, The Network does make the off-season a little less lonely. The time between Super Bowl and the draft always seems like forever, but with NFLN, I can still get my football fix when I need it..

Yup, it's kind of like Methadone for Heroin addicts. Not the real deal, but takes the edge off. The worst day with some NFL is better than the best day without any.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #40
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Total Access is a staple at my house. It's the hour of NFL-N I dont miss every evening at 6. Schefter usually breaks stuff. Lombardi just presented an interesting scenario just now about McFadden falling to the Bengals, citing seven premium OLs and DLs going in the top ten being the better investment of multi-millions, the short shelf life on RBs, and using Reggie Bush as an example of all boots no cattle - followed by debate with Eisen and Faulk.

Faulk is right there with Emmitt in his dullness though. Yesterday he said (during a discussion of OLs) that there's "a lot of Walter Jones' out there" in the context of some team taking either a CB or RB high in the first and waiting on an OL for later. Yeahright....

Between NFLTA, Florio's site, and redzone or Sportspages that's about all you need to stay up with what's going on.

I honestly don't know who Todd McShay is, so I guess I'm not missing much. But I don't understand why it would upset people for someone to say that Chris Long might be really really good. Long is going to be a top five pick and in the right situation he could make a major impact in his rookie season.....

The look on the Dolphins fans faces (not to mention Quinn) when Goodell said the name 'Ted Ginn' is as priceless as any Jets fan draft day meltdown...

Last edited by aj.; 04-11-2008 at 06:56 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read