Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Favre Act is Wearing Thin

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog
Sorry, I know he is a cult hero to some. I love the way he plays(ed). But his comments always seem to be a little bitter and a little pointed. I don't begrudge him the ability to miss the game and think about unretiring but he seems to almost want Rodgers to fail

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5689016.html

GULFPORT, MISS. — If the Green Bay Packers are ravaged by injuries this season, Brett Favre might consider returning should the team reach out to him.

"It would be hard to pass up, I guess," he told the Biloxi (Miss.) Sun Herald. "But three months from now, say that presents itself, I may say, you know what, I'm so glad I made that decision. I feel very comfortable in what I'm doing and my decision.

"Yeah, I can probably be up there doing that and playing, but again, I don't know. It's only speculating. I think the world of that team. I had a lot of fun, not only this year, but over my career."

But if Aaron Rodgers went down with an injury?

"Aaron has fallen into a great situation," Favre said. "And if that opportunity presented itself and they did call, it would be tempting. And I very well could be enticed do it."

There has been a steady flow of speculation that Favre would have a change of heart in the wake of the March 4 announcement the league's only three-time MVP was retiring.

"I guess the best response would be, right now no," he said of a possible return to football

Sorry, I know he is a cult hero to some. I love the way he plays(ed). But his comments always seem to be a little bitter and a little pointed. I don't begrudge him the ability to miss the game and think about unretiring but he seems to almost want Rodgers to fail

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5689016.html

He is no different than any other athlete, it is hard to walk away from the game. Most have to have the jersey ripped from them before they would consider retiring. I think you are seeing things that are not there.

Favre is/was a great NFL QB but lets face it he's pretty dang self-centered
at times and his comments can kinda get immature.

Great quarterback...seems like a nice enough guy, but really put it to rest. You are here or you are not. You said you were not..so stay gone.

If I was Aaron Rodgers I would hire some muscle to go down to Mississippi to shut him up. How is this poor kid ever going to get that Monkey off his back if he never shuts up about returning.

He has been in the NFL as long as I can remember, and seeing him walk away made me sad. I wouldn't mind seeing him back.

He is a hero in my book.

He is no different than any other athlete, it is hard to walk away from the game. Most have to have the jersey ripped from them before they would consider retiring. I think you are seeing things that are not there.

I don't. The guy was pretty vocal about OTHER players contract negotiations...which I gave him some credit for...then he made some other comments about his WRs and players. He just seems to keep stirring it up and dragging his retirement out. Just say you'd leave it open or not. Don't have Rodgers looking over his shoulder everytime he tweeks an ankle. His comment about "falling" into the situation was pretty much just saying he has been given a team to do it with now. I just think he needs to zip it for a bit. I understand the toughness of retiring. I've always respected the guy's game but it just goes too far. Its like no one is allowed to touch the guy.

I think he's watched Roger Clemens milk it for the last three or four years over in MLB and Brett wants in on some of that action. Get paid full time money for a part time gig? Cool!

Then he sees Vinny Testeverde climb off the couch and play for half a season and thinks "Football players CAN do it too".

He could be the Earl Morrall of his generation on top of being the Johnny Unitas of his generation. Now THAT would be a real accomplishment.

Favre is human and he's been known to say things that aren't pure class, but it's going to take a lot to make me quit liking him. His passion for the game is contagious. That's why he's beloved, because he loves the game so much.

Considering how vocal his wife is on the subject I would imagine it is not just coming from him. Season ends no ring he is beat up and disappointed. Seems like a good idea at the time to retire. Draft comes around his aches are starting to go away and he starts to miss the game. He becomes a pain in the arse around the house always bring it up. She gives in bam he is back wearing a #4.

Favre is human and he's been known to say things that aren't pure class, but it's going to take a lot to make me quit liking him. His passion for the game is contagious. That's why he's beloved, because he loves the game so much.

I'm not discrediting the guy and his accomplishments. I just think if you add up some statements over the year there is a bitterness and selfishness that I didn't think he possessed. Plain and simple. Like most athletes he wants to be loved and for people to kiss his tail.

He's still better at this age than at least 50% of the QBs in the NFL right now.

It matters not to me, either way, but I would enjoy watching him play for at least another season.

Favre's made several comments that make it sound as if he's not completely at rest with his retirement, and that can't make Rodgers very comfortable.

Frog, what is it about what he's said that makes you believe that he wants Rodgers to fail? Is it just how he worded Rodgers ascension to starter status (ie. he fell into his current position)? I don't see the thinly veiled contempt in what he's said so far, maybe you can help me out.

aaronflashzj3.jpg

Aaron Rodgers was doomed the day he was drafted by the Packers. No QB would be able to follow Favre. It so seldom happens in football that a QB is given a set of circumstances conducive to success after following a great one. Danny White in Dallas is just one great example. He played the position very well, his team went to three or four NFC chamionship games, he got beat by "The Catch", and he lost his job to Hogeboom strictly because it was preceived that he couldn't win the big one, like Staubach before him. There are others, but the point is, Rodgers' only chance at success was/is to be traded. And it may already be too late for him.

Aaron Rodgers was doomed the day he was drafted by the Packers. No QB would be able to follow Favre. It so seldom happens in football that a QB is given a set of circumstances conducive to success after following a great one. Danny White in Dallas is just one great example. He played the position very well, his team went to three or four NFC chamionship games, he got beat by "The Catch", and he lost his job to Hogeboom strictly because it was preceived that he couldn't win the big one, like Staubach before him. There are others, but the point is, Rodgers' only chance at success was/is to be traded. And it may already be too late for him.

yup Danny White is a great example of following a legend. Even Steve Young had problems with it and he even delivered a Lombardi Trophy to San Fran....albeit v. Stan Humphries and the Chargers.

As for the original topic, I think if Favre wants to come back, good for him. It's not the first time an athlete has unretired months or even years later. Maybe he is angling for more $$, who knows. Favre just got pissed that the Packers got outbid for Moss and felt that the team wasn't committed to winning a Super Bowl. That was the only thing he was playing for and he didn't feel the organization showed the same focus...so he left. If he feels it was a mistake, then so beit. Wisconsin will welcome him with open arms, no doubt. Not so sure about Aaron Rodgers though.....

yup Danny White is a great example of following a legend. Even Steve Young had problems with it and he even delivered a Lombardi Trophy to San Fran....albeit v. Stan Humphries and the Chargers.

I am one of the few that think Danny white was a very good QB and think he would have won more for the Cowgirls than Aikman.

I am one of the few that think Danny white was a very good QB and think he would have won more for the Cowgirls than Aikman.

More than very good. He got to like 4 NFC championship games and if not for the Catch and a subsequent Drew Pearson fumble(people forget the Cowboys were driving because there was more time)...he would have probably won a SB. I think you are kind of making a ridiculous statement on Aikman though. The guy was one of the most accurate passers ever to play.

people who don't like Favre will interperet that comment and anything he says the way they want

This would make sense, even by your messed up standards, if I said I didn't like the guy but I love watchign him play and think he was a great QB and played the game how people should play. I just think he sullies his rep with some of his comments. I'm not going to sit here and kiss his ass because he is Favre. That has been the joke so far.

Favre's made several comments that make it sound as if he's not completely at rest with his retirement, and that can't make Rodgers very comfortable.

Frog, what is it about what he's said that makes you believe that he wants Rodgers to fail? Is it just how he worded Rodgers ascension to starter status (ie. he fell into his current position)? I don't see the thinly veiled contempt in what he's said so far, maybe you can help me out.

That is only one of many comments over the years. He just seems to throw in little jabs as to the team being in disarray without him at QB. Even the years when he was throwing more INTs than anyone. As I heard on the radio yesterday, there is something to be said with a guy from backwoods La. vs a California kid. I don't begrudge Favre coming back....I'd watch him...I just think we are going on 3 years of this crap now and it casts a selfish shadow over your team after it hits a certain point.

BTW, have you guy seen fans in GB. Favre said he would come back if there was an injury. When will Rodger get into a freaky grain combine "accident" or something..lol. How many Pack fans are swerving at him on the road?

Danny was a very good QB but put in a very difficult spot following Roger.

That happens league wide though. Danny I think has been a coach in the Arena League for years..Arizona maybe??

Danny White was indeed a good quarterback, but the fans expected him to fill Staubach's shoes and never miss a beat. Well, even though those expectations were totally unrealistic, that didn't matter to the fans who worshipped Staubach like a god. He was screwed.

Rodgers may indeed be in the same boat regarding Favre. But having said that, I think people are putting words in his mouth with this "fallen" comment. He may indeed be questioning his decision to retire, and I wouldn't be surprised if he indeed comes back, but I don't see him throwing Rodgers under the bus, either intentional or unintentional.

Back