Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 04-10-2008   #1
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Favre Act is Wearing Thin

Sorry, I know he is a cult hero to some. I love the way he plays(ed). But his comments always seem to be a little bitter and a little pointed. I don't begrudge him the ability to miss the game and think about unretiring but he seems to almost want Rodgers to fail

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/5689016.html

Quote:
GULFPORT, MISS. If the Green Bay Packers are ravaged by injuries this season, Brett Favre might consider returning should the team reach out to him.

"It would be hard to pass up, I guess," he told the Biloxi (Miss.) Sun Herald. "But three months from now, say that presents itself, I may say, you know what, I'm so glad I made that decision. I feel very comfortable in what I'm doing and my decision.

"Yeah, I can probably be up there doing that and playing, but again, I don't know. It's only speculating. I think the world of that team. I had a lot of fun, not only this year, but over my career."

But if Aaron Rodgers went down with an injury?

"Aaron has fallen into a great situation," Favre said. "And if that opportunity presented itself and they did call, it would be tempting. And I very well could be enticed do it."

There has been a steady flow of speculation that Favre would have a change of heart in the wake of the March 4 announcement the league's only three-time MVP was retiring.

"I guess the best response would be, right now no," he said of a possible return to football
Old 04-10-2008   #2
Drew_Smoke
@Drew_Smoke

Section: 117 FF
Rep Power: 611 Drew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Favre Act is Wearing Thin

Ask him no questions and he'll tell you no lies.
Drew_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #3
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Sorry, I know he is a cult hero to some. I love the way he plays(ed). But his comments always seem to be a little bitter and a little pointed. I don't begrudge him the ability to miss the game and think about unretiring but he seems to almost want Rodgers to fail

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/5689016.html
He is no different than any other athlete, it is hard to walk away from the game. Most have to have the jersey ripped from them before they would consider retiring. I think you are seeing things that are not there.
Old 04-10-2008   #4
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Favre is/was a great NFL QB but lets face it he's pretty dang self-centered
at times and his comments can kinda get immature.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #5
Texaninlild
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4558 Texaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Texaninlild

Great quarterback...seems like a nice enough guy, but really put it to rest. You are here or you are not. You said you were not..so stay gone.

If I was Aaron Rodgers I would hire some muscle to go down to Mississippi to shut him up. How is this poor kid ever going to get that Monkey off his back if he never shuts up about returning.

I am a Christian

Philippians 4:13
Texaninlild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #6
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

He has been in the NFL as long as I can remember, and seeing him walk away made me sad. I wouldn't mind seeing him back.

He is a hero in my book.
Old 04-10-2008   #7
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
He is no different than any other athlete, it is hard to walk away from the game. Most have to have the jersey ripped from them before they would consider retiring. I think you are seeing things that are not there.
I don't. The guy was pretty vocal about OTHER players contract negotiations...which I gave him some credit for...then he made some other comments about his WRs and players. He just seems to keep stirring it up and dragging his retirement out. Just say you'd leave it open or not. Don't have Rodgers looking over his shoulder everytime he tweeks an ankle. His comment about "falling" into the situation was pretty much just saying he has been given a team to do it with now. I just think he needs to zip it for a bit. I understand the toughness of retiring. I've always respected the guy's game but it just goes too far. Its like no one is allowed to touch the guy.
Old 04-10-2008   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he's watched Roger Clemens milk it for the last three or four years over in MLB and Brett wants in on some of that action. Get paid full time money for a part time gig? Cool!

Then he sees Vinny Testeverde climb off the couch and play for half a season and thinks "Football players CAN do it too".

He could be the Earl Morrall of his generation on top of being the Johnny Unitas of his generation. Now THAT would be a real accomplishment.
Old 04-10-2008   #9
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Favre is human and he's been known to say things that aren't pure class, but it's going to take a lot to make me quit liking him. His passion for the game is contagious. That's why he's beloved, because he loves the game so much.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #10
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Blazing Arrow

Considering how vocal his wife is on the subject I would imagine it is not just coming from him. Season ends no ring he is beat up and disappointed. Seems like a good idea at the time to retire. Draft comes around his aches are starting to go away and he starts to miss the game. He becomes a pain in the arse around the house always bring it up. She gives in bam he is back wearing a #4.

RIP Steve ... you showed us what a warrior truly is.
Blazing Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #11
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

When you're done, you're done. And you know it.

It's hardest to leave when you still have some game. And Favre can still play.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #12
The Dream
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 The Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
He has been in the NFL as long as I can remember, and seeing him walk away made me sad. I wouldn't mind seeing him back.

He is a hero in my book.

i agree
The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #13
Polo

I don't think he cares for Aaron Rodgers much...JMO...
Old 04-10-2008   #14
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Favre is human and he's been known to say things that aren't pure class, but it's going to take a lot to make me quit liking him. His passion for the game is contagious. That's why he's beloved, because he loves the game so much.
I'm not discrediting the guy and his accomplishments. I just think if you add up some statements over the year there is a bitterness and selfishness that I didn't think he possessed. Plain and simple. Like most athletes he wants to be loved and for people to kiss his tail.
Old 04-10-2008   #15
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Come back Brett!!
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

He's still better at this age than at least 50% of the QBs in the NFL right now.

It matters not to me, either way, but I would enjoy watching him play for at least another season.
Old 04-10-2008   #17
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Favre's made several comments that make it sound as if he's not completely at rest with his retirement, and that can't make Rodgers very comfortable.

Frog, what is it about what he's said that makes you believe that he wants Rodgers to fail? Is it just how he worded Rodgers ascension to starter status (ie. he fell into his current position)? I don't see the thinly veiled contempt in what he's said so far, maybe you can help me out.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #18
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35494 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #19
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Aaron Rodgers was doomed the day he was drafted by the Packers. No QB would be able to follow Favre. It so seldom happens in football that a QB is given a set of circumstances conducive to success after following a great one. Danny White in Dallas is just one great example. He played the position very well, his team went to three or four NFC chamionship games, he got beat by "The Catch", and he lost his job to Hogeboom strictly because it was preceived that he couldn't win the big one, like Staubach before him. There are others, but the point is, Rodgers' only chance at success was/is to be traded. And it may already be too late for him.
Old 04-10-2008   #20
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Aaron Rodgers was doomed the day he was drafted by the Packers. No QB would be able to follow Favre. It so seldom happens in football that a QB is given a set of circumstances conducive to success after following a great one. Danny White in Dallas is just one great example. He played the position very well, his team went to three or four NFC chamionship games, he got beat by "The Catch", and he lost his job to Hogeboom strictly because it was preceived that he couldn't win the big one, like Staubach before him. There are others, but the point is, Rodgers' only chance at success was/is to be traded. And it may already be too late for him.
yup Danny White is a great example of following a legend. Even Steve Young had problems with it and he even delivered a Lombardi Trophy to San Fran....albeit v. Stan Humphries and the Chargers.

As for the original topic, I think if Favre wants to come back, good for him. It's not the first time an athlete has unretired months or even years later. Maybe he is angling for more $$, who knows. Favre just got pissed that the Packers got outbid for Moss and felt that the team wasn't committed to winning a Super Bowl. That was the only thing he was playing for and he didn't feel the organization showed the same focus...so he left. If he feels it was a mistake, then so beit. Wisconsin will welcome him with open arms, no doubt. Not so sure about Aaron Rodgers though.....

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read