Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-09-2008   #1
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Fins negotiating with Long

Jake that is. Looks like the OL might be the first pick.

Quote:
The Miami Dolphins could soon be off the clock.

The Dolphins have formally begun contract negotiations with agent Tom Condon about the prospect of selecting former Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long as the first overall selection in this year's draft.

Condon, who also represents Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan, was in South Florida early this week to negotiate specifically on behalf of Long at the request of the team, The Miami Herald has learned.

The Dolphins would like to have a contract in place with their first pick before the draft on April 26, which would allow them to avoid a potentially ugly holdout like the one that took place in Oakland last year upon the Raiders' selection of quarterback JaMarcus Russell.

Miami is still intrigued by Virginia defensive end Chris Long, but no in-person talks between Chris Long's agent and Miami are believed to have taken place to date. However, the Dolphins are believed to be happy with quarterback John Beck, and they are not considering Ryan as an option with the first pick.
http://www.miamiherald.com/616/story/489210.html
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fins negotiating with Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytex View Post
Jake that is. Looks like the OL will be the first pick.

http://www.miamiherald.com/616/story/489210.html
great! thats gonna bump all the tackles up

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008   #3
Polo

Great! That's gonna bumb all the tackles up!
Old 04-09-2008   #4
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs down Re: Fins negotiating with Long

Great! That's gonna bumb all the tackles up!
Old 04-09-2008   #5
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34025 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Of course this could just be a smokescreen.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008   #6
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I was thinking the same thing, but even so it doesn't mean that they aren't interested.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008   #7
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19488 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
True, but for what purpose? The only angle I could see them taking is if the Dolphins want to trade, and think someone else has locked onto Jake Long so that they'd be willing to trade up to get him. And, I find this difficult to believe - I don't hear anyone talking about Long as a can't miss superstar, the way some previous players have been. Otherwise, though, I don't see what purpose a smokescreen would serve? A way of bringing down the price for the player they're really interested in? I wouldn't think that would be too effective, either - anyone in the first spot is going to want similar amounts of money, and I haven't heard any rumors that any agents have been suggesting any particularly high demands.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-09-2008   #8
Polo

I really don't see how smokescreening does them any good...
Old 04-09-2008   #9
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34025 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe a smokescreen, maybe not. But I doubt that these are final negotiations on a contract. More then likely this is the preliminary session, and if the Fins are smart they'll be conducting the same type talks with a couple of ther players at the top of their draft board.
Old 04-09-2008   #10
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

On the other hand Chris Long falling a few spots can mean a few more defensive players to choose from.
Old 04-09-2008   #11
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Seeing as we only need a new (insert position here), this won't really affect the Texans.

We have too many needs to get worked up over this one way or another.
Old 04-09-2008   #12
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I really don't see how smokescreening does them any good...
If another team wants Jake bad enough they know they will have to trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008   #13
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

it's a perfect smokescreen, not just for other teams but for other players. i'm sure miami has several players in mind right now, so they'll negotiate with a bunch and see who bites on the lowest offer. and perhaps a team like atlanta may really like j. long and trade the moon and/or stars for him because they're threatened here. who knows, but one thing is sure, this isn't the last you'll hear about miami negotiating with a player
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008   #14
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179496 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
it's a perfect smokescreen, not just for other teams but for other players. i'm sure miami has several players in mind right now, so they'll negotiate with a bunch and see who bites on the lowest offer. and perhaps a team like atlanta may really like j. long and trade the moon and/or stars for him because they're threatened here. who knows, but one thing is sure, this isn't the last you'll hear about miami negotiating with a player
I think they're trying to trade for Reggie Bush ... I know I'm
Old 04-09-2008   #15
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
and perhaps a team like atlanta may really like j. long and trade the moon and/or stars for him because they're threatened here.
You're dreamin kastofsna. Parsells is sittin there stuck with the worst pick in the Draft. Guaranteed he'd much rather have anything between #2 & #32
than the #1 because the cap hit is so great. And all the other 31 teams are thankful they don't have the #1.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008   #16
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240894 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Smokescreen? Sounds like what people said about a certain DE that was taken #1 a couple years ago.

If Parcells wants Jake Long at #1, I'd defer to his expertise. That guy can build teams.
Old 04-09-2008   #17
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Keep in mind Parcells is running the show. I really think the aging defense needs WAY more help then the offense(Beck to Ginn jr anyone?!) and after seeing LT I think Bill understands what an impact defensive player can do.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008   #18
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19488 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
it's a perfect smokescreen, not just for other teams but for other players. i'm sure miami has several players in mind right now, so they'll negotiate with a bunch and see who bites on the lowest offer.
Really? That would have to be one of the worst strategies for selecting a draft pick. I understand if you have two players not even close in demands, or it's going to make a huge difference in final price, but I haven't seen any indication that any players are demanding something special, or that someone is going to be out of the ballpark.

Quote:
and perhaps a team like atlanta may really like j. long and trade the moon and/or stars for him because they're threatened here.
That's possible, but seems really unlikely. There's no indication that any of the top prospects this year are that notable - no Peyton Manning, or even Reggie Bush...
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #19
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...aspx?sport=NFL

Quote:
In addition to Chris and Jake Long, ESPN's John Clayton expects Glenn Dorsey to talk contract with the Dolphins before the NFL Draft.
Old 04-10-2008   #20
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

How about the fact that NFL Network says Miami will not be negotiating with Matt Ryan. I wonder how far he will fall. Atlanta? KC? Jets? Ravens?
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read