Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who should be the starter at SLB?
Zach Diles 35 63.64%
Chaun Thompson 7 12.73%
Kevin Bentley 8 14.55%
Rookie 4 7.27%
Other 1 1.82%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-2008   #1
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Strongside Linebacker?

I've noticed that some Texans fans have placed Zach Diles in this spot, but I wonder if this is realistic. Diles excites me because of the good things I hear, but in reality he has not seen much playing time. Bentley and Thompson seem like good depth but should either one be a starter for the Houston Texans? I think so.

I bring up this position because it's a hole we don't talk about as much as others.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Strongside Linebacker?

How would anyone know until training camp and preseason?
Old 04-08-2008   #3
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 77922 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that whoever wins it will do well, my money is on Bentley although it is not beyond comprehension that we pick one up in the draft.
Old 04-08-2008   #4
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know who should be, but I voted for who I think will be; Zach Diles.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008   #5
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

agreed. "should" be will be decided during training camp. the best thing about this scenario is i feel like those three guys are pretty equal at this stage. diles has the system, the other two have more experience. both seem unproven. all three i should say. it may end up being SLB by committee. we may pick up a big time guy in the draft. you never know. i hope that it's diles just because he was drafted as a texan and he's young and Kubiak has had lots of positive things to say about him. but i am very excited about this battle in camp!
barrett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008   #6
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

who cares, so long as they're raising hell for opposing offenses. will there be a battle for for the weakside? i like greenwood but is his job safe?
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008   #7
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I think that whoever wins it will do well, my money is on Bentley although it is not beyond comprehension that we pick one up in the draft.
I'm surprise Bentley got any votes to be the starter at SLB. In 6 seasons he accumulated a grand total of 0 sacks, isn't that kind of pathetic for a strong-side LB? Not to mention hes undersize at 6ft 240lb.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-08-2008   #8
wicked_wayz
all blacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
I'm surprise Bentley got any votes to be the starter at SLB. In 6 seasons he accumulated a grand total of 0 sacks, isn't that kind of pathetic for a strong-side LB? Not to mention hes undersize at 6ft 240lb.

i don't think hes had that much playing time, he is playing backup to julian peterson and lofa tatupu
Old 04-08-2008   #9
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

he started 22 games in his career, and was full-time starter in 03, vs. Thompson who started 0 games but still racked up 10.5 sacks.

http://www.nfl.com/players/kevinbent...e?id=BEN697426

http://www.nfl.com/players/chaunthom...s?id=THO499357

I'm pulling for Thompson, I love his measurables and speed, he ran a 4.4 in the combine weighing in at 240.

The Brown fans said he was more suited for the 4-3, so I'm hoping he can play up to his 2nd round draft selection in our defense.
Old 04-08-2008   #10
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected

I had the chance to hear Richard Smith talk a few weeks ago (I was one of the winners in a contest) and a whole group of us got to hear Richard Smith talk for 90 min about himself....coaching.....Texans players....
One of the guys he mentioned was Zach Diles....to look at for him this fall.....he just might start......thought I might pass that along......
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008   #11
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The coaches expect receiver Jacoby Jones, guard Kasey Studdard and outside linebacker Zac Diles to start at some point. The jury is still out on safety Brandon Harrison and offensive lineman Brandon Frye.

The day after the season, Smith met with each player in his office. Kubiak waited until later to talk to the players. He completed that task Tuesday.

"Before I talked to them, I watched cut-ups of them," Kubiak said. "I talked to each player about what I saw on the tape and what we expect of them."
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/5537040.html

Quote:
The Texans believe Zach Diles can eventually become a starter at outside linebacker.
Diles, a stocky 6'0/240-pound rising second-year player, worked on special teams and as DeMeco Ryans' backup as a rookie. If Danny Clark or Charlie Anderson isn't retained, Diles could see action on the strong side in 2008.
http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/pla...rt=NFL&id=4414

Seems like Diles is this year Kevin Walter. I remember awhile back a poster said that Rick Smith had Zac Diles "penciled in as starter" during a radio interview on 610.
Old 04-08-2008   #12
Polo

Other...as in, whoever earns it during camp...
Old 04-08-2008   #13
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
See to me, that's not suprising really, it is the strong side, wich is typically run support duty or covering the tight end/running back in coverage. I want a guy that can tackle on the strong side. Just like the LDE, a few sacks are nice too, but if you can't stop the run you need to be weak side. This is why I dont rag on Weaver like some of the board does. He doesn't get sacks, but he is a good tackler. The fact that Mario gets the sacks from the left side so much is actually kind of non-typical. Then we blame Weaver basically for the fact that Mario plays better on the strong side. Think about it.
Old 04-08-2008   #14
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
How would anyone know until training camp and preseason?
Madden sims... duh...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #15
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

At this point, it doesn't matter which of them starts because NONE of them have EVER done anything. Let's hope ONE of them can lift his game up about 3 levels and be a solid contributor. My best bets are Thompson #1, Diles #2.
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I expect to see a bit of rotation as the SLB will be busting people even more this season. With Dunta out, I think the SLB will be expected to swing over and bust the WR with in five yards and then release. i think the spot is DIles to lose as Walter last year. I am hoping for even more physical play from backers this season. I think Kubes feels comfortable with Diles as a back up for Demeco also. I do not see a draft pick here. Same goes for RG.
Old 04-10-2008   #17
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 221373 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Like most are saying, it should be whoever wins it in TC. I voted Diles because I hope he does just that.
Old 04-10-2008   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Like most are saying, it should be whoever wins it in TC. I voted Diles because I hope he does just that.
I agree. may the best man win.

It'd be nice to have a guy that has D-Ryans heart and Chaun Thompson's body.
Old 04-10-2008   #19
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I agree. may the best man win.

It'd be nice to have a guy that has D-Ryans heart and Chaun Thompson's body.
His name is Shawne Merrimen LOL
Old 04-10-2008   #20
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Madden sims... duh...
LMAO!!!!!!! NICE!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read