Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-07-2008   #1
Drew_Smoke
@Drew_Smoke

Section: 117 FF
Rep Power: 612 Drew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What Team Is One Draft Pick Away From Contention?

Wow...saw this exchange on NFL Live today...

Todd McShay: "The Jets added alot of pieces but if McFadden falls to them, they could be in the playoffs."

Kiper: "I'll go with the Houston Texans. If they can land a running back like Jonathon Stewart, if they could get that one weapon they are missing on offense, I see them having a breakthru year and being in the playoffs."

McShay: I agree...they are one playmaker away from the playoffs."

I told y'all it wouldn't take as long as some of you thought for expert opinions to swing to what we knew was coming....hopefully.
Drew_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #2
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What Team Is One Draft Pick Away From Contention?

Dunno if im happy about Kiper backing us.

Kiper's draft boards are usually somewhat accurate.. but his judge of actual talent has been off recently.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #3
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow.

Mel Kiper?

We're doomed.

This means we fall apart this year.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #4
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Hoover View Post
Wow...saw this exchange on NFL Live today...

Todd McShay: "The Jets added alot of pieces but if McFadden falls to them, they could be in the playoffs."

Kiper: "I'll go with the Houston Texans. If they can land a running back like Jonathon Stewart, if they could get that one weapon they are missing on offense, I see them having a breakthru year and being in the playoffs."

McShay: I agree...they are one playmaker away from the playoffs."

I told y'all it wouldn't take as long as some of you thought for expert opinions to swing to what we knew was coming....hopefully.
Saw it, too. Couldn't believe it. Not like any of us here didn't know that, but to here it from both guys on there was different....especially on ESPN (outside of a guy named Michael Smith).
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #5
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah and as soon as we pass on Jonathan Stewart or another Back and instead go OL, CB, or DL once again we will hear how we have made the wrong choice and the only coverage we get will be negative.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #6
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

He's setting himself up for disappointment IMO. I can't see the Texans drafting a RB outside Mendenhall when we have gaping holes at LT and secondary. It'll be an easy excuse for him to bash us for messing up his draft board.
Old 04-07-2008   #7
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Saw it, too. Couldn't believe it. Not like any of us here didn't know that, but to here it from both guys on there was different....especially on ESPN (outside of a guy named Michael Smith).
Wow!

I suppose there are dollar bills on the trees outside.

We are about to see this:

And the Icecapades are showing in hell......

Old 04-07-2008   #8
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans are two draft picks away.

They need a playmaking running back and a playmaking secondary player. Those won't necessarily come from the 18th pick.

They can makedo, I believe, on the offensive line of the ball.

I think that 2008 marks yet another year in the offensive system. The offensive line has to get on board with changes, but I've seen enough to think that offensively with a little tweaking, the Texans can be a playoff team.

The defense, however is a boat anchor. The best defensive performances last year were when youngish quarterbacks on the other side of the ball made mistakes. But I dearly hope to see a defense that isn't just trying to mask its many deficiencies and just plays simple stupid ball.

Nothing like Browns TE Kellen Winslow making fun of how simple the Texans defense was BEFORE we played them. It's not trash talk if it is true.

Running game was awful.

Defense was awful, and not just the secondary. The secondary was a complete horror show, so that makes the rest of the defense just normal regular bad as opposed to car accident into a train wreck bad like the secondary.

Ergo, more than one draft pick away. I think a legit running game would take pressure off of the defense, but not enough to mask its deficiencies. I would love to see dominant defense this year, but I am not sure this is the year where the switch gets turned on.
Old 04-07-2008   #9
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

when people say we need a rb i cant help but think they don't know much about the texans
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

do they mean making the playoffs? or in contention for the SB?

the Texans may just make the playoffs regardless who they draft, JS would add talent & depth to the backfield, something we've never had. Gibbs can take a tackle latter he likes to develop & Rhodes lends his expertise with help in the secondary.

now the SB the Texans are at least two or three years away. key will be landing better & better free agents to smart contracts, keeping the core of our team together & drafting smart as the picks rise to the end of each rd.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #11
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
The Texans are two draft picks away.

They need a playmaking running back and a playmaking secondary player. Those won't necessarily come from the 18th pick.

They can makedo, I believe, on the offensive line of the ball.

I think that 2008 marks yet another year in the offensive system. The offensive line has to get on board with changes, but I've seen enough to think that offensively with a little tweaking, the Texans can be a playoff team.

The defense, however is a boat anchor. The best defensive performances last year were when youngish quarterbacks on the other side of the ball made mistakes. But I dearly hope to see a defense that isn't just trying to mask its many deficiencies and just plays simple stupid ball.

Nothing like Browns TE Kellen Winslow making fun of how simple the Texans defense was BEFORE we played them. It's not trash talk if it is true.

Running game was awful.

Defense was awful, and not just the secondary. The secondary was a complete horror show, so that makes the rest of the defense just normal regular bad as opposed to car accident into a train wreck bad like the secondary.

Ergo, more than one draft pick away. I think a legit running game would take pressure off of the defense, but not enough to mask its deficiencies. I would love to see dominant defense this year, but I am not sure this is the year where the switch gets turned on.
I agree, especially about the defense. We have been the bottom of the barrel or there abouts for a few seasons straight. It baffles me that Richard Smith hasn't seen a sharp blade looking for his whiskers.
Old 04-07-2008   #12
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
when people say we need a rb i cant help but think they don't know much about the texans
We do need running back.

We have an old injured guy that could be a June 1 casualty, a guy who has an injury history, a young guy, and another young guy with an injury history.

In other words, the Texans have a bottom quartile running back group for an offense that is supposed to emphasize the running game but hasn't been able to.

We don't necessarily need the fastest back in the draft, but we do need a good decision maker, nice size with good speed. A durable young back.
Old 04-07-2008   #13
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

^^I would like Jonathan Stewart. Hoping he is there at #18.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #14
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
I agree, especially about the defense. We have been the bottom of the barrel or there abouts for a few seasons straight. It baffles me that Richard Smith hasn't seen a sharp blade looking for his whiskers.
Amen!
Old 04-07-2008   #15
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Definitely surprised that kiper of all people would take our side, although we will not draft a RB early because that is not our biggest need. Dunta may never play at the same level again, so we need a gamebreaking CB or a franchise LT.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #16
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 87851 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

There are two ways to think about who and which position we should draft first.

First would be to build your team to beat the Colts. After all, if you want to be the man you have to beat the man. If that is the case one of three positions come to mind:

RB: Payton can't score if he's not on the field and a grind it out running game that batters the Colts D is just what the doctor ordered. I think the only way we use the 18th pick on a back is if Mendenhall is there, otherwise we can get a back in later rounds.

DE: Payton can't score if he's got pressure in his face. That is a tested and confirmed statement. He starts to throw a fit and losses his composure. He is no Tom Brady.

CB: Someone needs to be able to cover the slot. Seriously, if I see one more quick slant for a first down I am going to puke.

Then if you look at our division as a whole, and our up coming opponents (***coughVikingscough***) we better be able to stop the run or we are going 2-14 again. So to be able to beat the Jags and Titans we need:

DT: someone that can tie up OL and take up space needs to play next to A.O. He doesn't even have to be athletic, just be there and keep guys off Ryans so he can do his job. I would love to see Ryans get a clean shot at MJD. I dont want to say that these guys are easy to find but they are not first round caliber so would expect us to start looking for this guy on the second day.

DE: Not only do they need to be able to rush the passer but contain. Williams does a good job of that but we are lacking the other half of the field unless Cochran takes a huge step. These type of guys are hard to find, even in the first round, so it wouldn't surprise me at all to see us take a DE in the first if the right player is there.

SS: How nice it would be to get a guy that can play this position. This guy is hard to find and this draft is lite on safeties. I wouldn't expect us to draft one.

Then of course you have to be able to not get your QB killed. This entire unit is a question mark except Winston. Don't know much about Myers, Spencer is a question mark, RG is up in the air, Pitts should be OK, and how much longer can Salaam hold out? IMO Winston should move to LT and maybe try Spencer at RG or RT.

So to sum it up, who the hell knows.

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #17
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Helmet hair may just be pitching a RB for us so that he can say "See, all they needed was a running back. If they had listened to me and taken RB when I said they should, they would have been in the playoffs sooner". Probably ouldn't be quit that out spoken, but he would say things that would allude to it.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #18
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

It's kinda nice to see us being considered, again, as a team on the rise who could contend next year. Reminds me of some of the articles and talk about this team coming off of our 7-9 season. I think how this team responds to the expectations will be different than last time.

It's interesting to consider the health status of our running backs when you put it into context relative to the rest of the league and the nature of the position itself. No doubt, we have two guys who have major, consistent medical problems, and a third coming off of a knee injury. But then again, these are running backs, they have one of the shortest life spans in the NFL of any position for a reason. They take a beating game in and game out for their entire career, it's not surprising to see them hobbled so often. Look at all of the teams in the NFL, you won't be hard pressed to find 2/3's+ of them have primary backs, or backs who are intended to play a major part in their rotation, who have chronic injury concerns or a history of a significant injury. It's the nature of the position. That said, I do believe we need to acquire a young healthy back in the draft to fill out our rotation.

As to the one pick away, what would get us over the hump... I don't think we're 1 solid pick away, I think we're 1 good draft away from contending. We desperately need a corner, a LT, and a play maker to help out in the backfield, IMO. I think unless a real stud RB falls to 18 we should take the best LT, CB, or if the value for those positions is not there take BPA. I feel like LT and CB are two premium positions who give us the biggest bang for our buck based on our needs and draft position. We have Kubiak and Gibbs running our offense now. One of the benefits to a guy like Gibbs and the zone blocking scheme is you can go find guys, who aren't worth as much to traditional style running teams, who fit your scheme later in the draft and get big production from them. That's an advantage to us because it allows us to take other needs earlier in the draft, IMO. Granted, you can make the case that Gibbs should be able to make a player out of a later round tackle just as I expect him to do with a RB, but I like the top talent at tackle this year. I think RB is deep enough where we can still find a player in the 3rd, 4th, or later who can produce for us.

The bottom line is it's tough to come by premium tackles and CB's in free agency, and there's a decent 1st round crop for both of those positions this year. If we get a little luck and get some help at tackle, CB, and RB I think we could make some noise this year. Can't wait for draft day......
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #19
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

This is the same Mel Kiper that still thinks we made a mistake passing on Bush...
Old 04-07-2008   #20
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 40233 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans + Jonathan Stewart =
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read