Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-07-2008   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Rick Gosselin says both Longs (Chris & Jake) are "can't miss"

Defensive end Chris Long of Virginia and offensive tackle Jake Long of Michigan carry can't-miss labels in the NFL because of their ability on the field and their character off it.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...n.35dd6de.html

And I respectfully disagree. Oh I think both will be in the NFL for a long time (no pun intended), but I have serious reservations about Jakes ability to succeed as a LT at the next level ? So even if he's "only" a very good RT, is he worthy of a 5 top pick ?
And is there any chance that Chris will turn out to be a glorified version of Jason Babin ? At 6-3 CL lacks the ideal size to be a full time 4-3 DE and actually had less impressive tiimed speed than Babin did. I personally think Vernon Gholston is a better NFL prospect than CL.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Gosselin says both Longs (Chris & Jake) are "can't miss"

I see your point regarding Jake Long. I don't think he's the same caliber of pass blocker as last year's top rookie LT, Joe Thomas. But, Jake is an outstanding run blocker and the teams at the top of this draft need to establish their rushing attack.

I agree with you that Gholston has a higher ceiling than Chris Long. Gholston can be a Merriman-type edge rusher. But, Chris Long is a prototype 4-3 DE, who can play the run and rush the passer. He's not the physical freak that Mario is, but I think he compares to the Titans' Kyle Vanden Bosch in ability and effort.
Old 04-07-2008   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree Nuns, 3 maybe 4 other tackles in this draft will be better long term LT's than Jake. he has the jump because he is more ready, the rest are underclassman or new to the game/position.

Gholston is a workout warrior, while productive in games I don't see a great rip move or technical skill he can bank on @ the next level its all about being athletic & stronger-overmatched against weaker athletes (which won't happen @ the next level).

Chris Long to be outstanding needs to play 3-4 OLB. if he gets owned by Otah in games & Albert in practice with his advantage in taught skills & development the only way he gains seperation is standing up using his lateral quickness/intelligence to read & react in space.

very dissapointed with Gosselin this year, but I would give him a big advantage over the Texans media giant McClain

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #4
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, I see Jake Long as a RT in 2-3 years. Ive been wrong before, but he seems to stiff for LT.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read