Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-13-2004   #61
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
Unfortunately, it's not about what you do on the field, it's about money. Texas is in the Rose Bowl because the BIG 12 coaches flipped their vote to Texas from Cal the previous week with some voting Texas ahead of Auburn. That's undefeated Auburn!! Not only that, they voted Cal as low as 8TH to ensure those Big 12 schools got that Rose Bowl money.

That's why the system (BcS) needs to die today. Not only is it a joke, and not a very funny one, it's also crooked.
I am a Texas fan and I think they had as much of a right as Cal to be #4 in the BCS. I agree the coaches manipulated the system. If the coaches had to disclose their picks, it would help eleviate this from happening.

Lets not let the media off of the hook though. I think most people here would argue that Texas and Cal are close and each should be either #4 or #5 in the polls. The media apparently wanted Cal in the Rose Bowl so they placed Utah right between Cal and Texas. How can you really justify that? I could see someone voting for Utah as #4 and dropping Texas AND Cal below them, but how can you justify splitting Cal and Texas with Utah? INCONCEIVABLE.

Personally I think Utah, Texas, and Cal should all have been in the BCS. They need to revoke the Big East automatic bid now that Miami, Virginia Tech, and BC have left. Pittsburgh should never have gotten in.

Next year there are 10 BCS slots. That should help a bit.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #62
MikeMc
All Pro

10 BCS slots? Where do the other 2 come from?? Is that the "4 + 1" scenario?

Joe Paterno?? Come on, do you even know what PennSt was before JoePa? Not a damn thing! Do you know what UT was before Mack Brown?? Ever hear of this guy with DKR as his initials? Now, if DKR was the UT coach now (with all of his success at UT) then you could have the "Look at JoePa" argument. Mack is a part of the new wave of coaches, JoePa is a living legend at PennSt, just as "Bear" Bryant would be at Bama, and so forth.

With a living legend, you let him decide based on the fact that even though the program may be suffering of late, he was the one that got it to the level of success for so many years, not just a 2-4 yr success trend. If Mack went 5-6 , 4-7 , etc. his *** would be GONE! (see Ty Willingham).
Old 12-14-2004   #63
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc
10 BCS slots? Where do the other 2 come from?? Is that the "4 + 1" scenario?
The bowl that gets the BCS Championship gets another bowl. It is not the "4 + 1" scenario. This year the Orange Bowl would have had two bowls, the Orange Bowl and the BCS Championship Game. I guess one is on the 1st and the other (Championship) is a few days later. These two extra teams are at-large picks.

Looking at the BCS rankings:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/abcsports/BCSStandings

I believe all 4 "regular" BCS bowls retain their automatic conference ties unless the team is 1 or 2. So we likely would have had something like:

BCS Championship - USC (1) vs. OU (2)
Rose Bowl - Michigan (Big 12) vs. Cal (1st choice sub for USC)
Fiesta Bowl - Texas (guaranteed BCS, 2nd choice sub for OU) vs. Georgia (could be Boise State, Louisville, LSU, or Iowa, anyone in the top 12 of the BCS, instead)
Sugar Bowl - Auburn (SEC) vs. Utah (guaranteed BCS)
Orange Bowl - Virginia Tech (ACC) vs. Pitt (Big East)

They added the bowl to help non-BCS teams have a better shot at getting into a game. It was also added to prevent things like the Cal situation from happening. They just are going to implement it a season too late.
Old 12-14-2004   #64
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

This explains the 10 slots.

No current BCS bowl will host two games (regular bowl game then BCS title game). The BCS is simply adding a 5th BCS bowl (site yet to be determined) and that site will be included in the title game rotation. This will take effect in 2006.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004   #65
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Here is a more recent article:

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/co...8897734.htm?1c

It shows the BCS Championship Bowl hosting another BCS bowl game. It also stated:
"Teams from the Mountain West, Mid-American, Western Athletic, Conference USA and Sun Belt conferences that finish 12th or higher in the final BCS standings would be guaranteed a BCS berth."
Old 12-14-2004   #66
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Well damned if that's not going to suck. I was thinking Houston would be a great place to have a 5th BCS bowl. Cotton Bowl? In January? No thanks.

And what if the Saints aren't given a new stadium? I realize the Sugar Bowl has a lot of history but the Super Dome is starting to get up there in age. Will New Orleans continue to be worthy of hosting even one BCS game?
Old 12-14-2004   #67
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

The 4 existing bowls insisted since their bowls would get deluded.
Sponsored links
Old 12-14-2004   #68
MikeMc
All Pro

Superdome's only attraction: it is in New Orleans! That stadium is so bad, I think the Astrodome looks better!

I know Reliant Stadium is trying their *** off to get the 5th Bowl game. It has been a dream since the "Houston Bowl" moved to Reliant. With the success of the Super Bowl, it would be nice to see who beats Houston, and if so, why/how!
Old 12-14-2004   #69
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc
Superdome's only attraction: it is in New Orleans! That stadium is so bad, I think the Astrodome looks better!

I know Reliant Stadium is trying their *** off to get the 5th Bowl game. It has been a dream since the "Houston Bowl" moved to Reliant. With the success of the Super Bowl, it would be nice to see who beats Houston, and if so, why/how!
Again Houston lost out to the other 4 bowls. There won't be an actual new bowl. One of the existing 4 BCS bowls now gets 2 bowls. Too bad, I thought Texas would be a good location for a BCS bowl.

Last edited by TheOgre; 12-15-2004 at 07:37 AM.
Old 12-14-2004   #70
profan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
Well damned if that's not going to suck. I was thinking Houston would be a great place to have a 5th BCS bowl. Cotton Bowl? In January? No thanks.

And what if the Saints aren't given a new stadium? I realize the Sugar Bowl has a lot of history but the Super Dome is starting to get up there in age. Will New Orleans continue to be worthy of hosting even one BCS game?
New orleans will alway's be worthy of hosting a bowl game as long as bourbon street is alive. Best town for a road trip imo.
profan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #71
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

I just realized that Boise State and Louisville would get the 2 new at-large bids under the new format. California would still be left out in the cold. Any non-BCS team in the top 12 is guaranteed a slot in the BCS (if any are still available)
Old 12-20-2004   #72
htown_julie
Rookie

Default cal

I am a big fan of Texas... but I also think that Cal got cheated out of it... Much props to Texas but I think that Cal deserved that spot much more... I also think that Mack Brown's whining had something to do with it and that the BCS really needs a better system.. Human polling sucks and that more people would have wanted to see Cal and Michigan...
htown_julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #73
astrofan
Veteran

maybe all you commie sympathizers should show up in SanDiego with a kingsize box of baby wipes, so you can help soothe the bleeding orifices of these Berkeley sissies after Bobo&Co have their way with'em?
astrofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #74
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by htown_julie
Much props to Texas but I think that Cal deserved that spot much more
Why exactly is that?
Old 12-20-2004   #75
Huge
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by htown_julie
I am a big fan of Texas... but I also think that Cal got cheated out of it... Much props to Texas but I think that Cal deserved that spot much more... I also think that Mack Brown's whining had something to do with it and that the BCS really needs a better system.. Human polling sucks and that more people would have wanted to see Cal and Michigan...
If the human polling sucks, why do you feel Cal deserves the spot over Texas? Cal was ahead of Texas in both polls. It was the (nonbiased) computer polls that had Texas ahead of Cal.
Old 01-01-2005   #76
Ihategeeks
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Ihategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of Famer

Well Cal got blown up by a Texas Team, hows that for irony.

UofM - UT today kiddies

If the QB runs, Michigan is done.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read