Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-08-2004   #41
texansfan88
All Pro

mixed feelings on this one....i've been a cal fan since Geoff Mcarthur (that wr that broke his ankle in the southern miss game) told me they would be going to the Rose Bowl...Of course I didn't believe him b/c it's Cal, but man how close he was to being right!

Tedford and co. went out in style. Did Texas deserve it? Maybe not. Did Cal deserve it? Maybe not. but I can gurantee you theres about 5,000 athletes that would kill to be in Cal's position right now instead of sitting and pondering their future.
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004   #42
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 89729 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

better yet did PITT deserve it? heck did Michigan deserve it ? they are ranked 13th.. I don't understand the hating on a school just because the system doesn't work and will it ever work? Division 3 makes it work , oh wait.. there is much more money at stake at the top (div 1)

Last edited by Wolf; 12-08-2004 at 10:56 PM.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004   #43
DomDavis
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 DomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVP

By the way, for all you Cal fans that want to talk about Kansas... why don't you tell me about Oregon? At least the Kansas game was on the road. Cal beat Oregon 28-27 at Berkeley and would have lost the game had the Oregon wide receiver not dropped a completely wide open pass in the final minute at the Cal 20-yard line. Don't act like Texas is the only team with close calls.

Also, claiming #1/#2 when comparing the USC and OU games is completely irrelevant. The only reason USC is #1 is media bias. Neither team has distinguished itself from the other (yet), and until they do, it's absolutely stupid to act like Cal played a better team. Furthermore, while the end result was closer, Texas was within 3-0 or 6-0 of OU until eight minutes to go in the fourth quarter. Cal trailed USC 10-0 and 23-10 for very large portions of the game. While Cal had a nice comeback, there are multiple ways to spin those games - you could just as easily say that Texas was more competitive with OU (for a longer period of time) than Cal was with USC. The bottom line is that both lost, and you move on to the rest of the schedule. And for the rest of the schedule, Texas has many more top 25 wins and a tougher schedule and an identical record. Game, set, match.

And the Big 10/Pac 10 tradition argument is absurd. The Rose Bowl is a place for the champion of the Big 10 to meet the champion of the Pac 10. Unfortunately for the haters, Cal is not the champion of the Pac 10. USC is. Unless you're going to match the true champions of both leagues, the tradition is gone. It doesn't matter whether Michigan plays California or Texas... either way it is different from what tradition dictates. So you move on to try and distinguish the better team.

Quote:
When it comes down to it, you play the teams you are scheduled. CAL played its schedule better than UT..end of story.
Lamest. Argument. Ever.

As someone already pointed out, by this logic, all the top football teams should just become independent and schedule 11 cupcakes and win them all 60-0. This would mean they played their schedule better than a team who had some close calls against decent competition, right?

Also, when someone is talking about the Pac 10 as a weak conference, I'm pretty sure they're talking about this year. And last year has no real connection to this year. In fact, I'd bet that this entire thread is about this year. As a result, any results from previous years with different teams are basically irrelevant.

Quote:
Being a Notre Dame fan by nature...I DESPISE the Michigan Wolverines. On Jan 1, I will be wearing Wolverine Blue and Gold...Texas needs to start thinking about beating OU. Then it can worry about what BCS bowl it gets.
Here's what I find so funny about the anti-Texas crowd. You say Texas has no claim to the BCS unless it beats OU. Whatever. But the team you are suggesting is better (Cal) didn't beat USC, the Pac 10 equivalent of OU. If Texas has to beat its big rival to "worry about what BCS bowl it gets", how does Cal not have to beat USC to worry about what BCS bowl they get?

Quote:
Note to UT fans...Try having a little class when your team is pounding the lesser opponents, and people won't revel in displaying a lack of class while you are getting shut out.
Note to you... every team in college football thinks they're better than they are and acts a little classless at the expense of lesser opponents. This isn't something that's unique of exclusive to UT; it's everywhere. If you don't like it, don't watch college football. Of course, I'm sure you'll continue to ignore it everywhere else so you can maintain your irrational hatred.

Quote:
Mack Brown's pouting got the Horns in the Rose Bowl.
Here's what I don't get. Mack Brown did his campaigning after the A&M game, and there was actually a net downward movement in the poll the following Sunday for Texas. So in the two days after his comments, no one cared what Brown had to say, but a week and a half later they suddenly decided that they cared? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

And aside from that, what exactly is wrong for campaigning for your team? If you think your team is underrated and you feel you can help your team and your university by getting the message out, isn't that part of a coaches job? I would be extremely disappointed in Mack Brown if he weren't campaigning to every voter on what his team accomplished. He's doing all he can for his group of players. If you don't like the idea of coaches campaigning, then gripe at the BCS/poll system, not the coaches themselves. It's absolutely absurd to expect coaches to stand by doing nothing while a few voters who don't even watch most of the games make the decisions about the future of the teams. Campaigning is a part of the business, and if you don't like it, complain about the system, not the campaigners themselves.
DomDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004   #44
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

well texas always gets the shaft, i mean they lost to one team OU and only lost by 12 points ! I'm glad the coach spoke out, this team is talented and look at the schedule they had !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004   #45
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 89729 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

heck they lost to colorado in the Big 12 Championship game in 2001 (texas ranked #3) and missed out on BCS all together .. while last year Oklahoma lost in the Championship and still went to the BCS "championship"
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004   #46
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

i hate the BCS, i wish theyd change the whole system and have it more of a play-off system like the nfl does ! even division 1-AA ex.(Sam Houston State) has a better system than division 1-A ex.(University of Texas). Something needs to change in the system its an unfair way of placing teams especially teams like Texas !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004   #47
MikeMc
All Pro

Um, they would use the other 3 divisions in NCAA for a playoff format...not the NFL.

Dom, I guess you have never heard about the PAC-10 being a weak conference? Did you just discover that thing with the buttons and screen (TV)? No access to an AM radio? It is not something new to NCAA this year, it has always been around (thinking the PAC-10 is weak).

Traditions suck, I guess. I wonder if the Rose Bowl is going to pull out of the BCS. They are like Notre Dame, they do not need the BCS....they could keep the PAC-10 & Big-10 champs and both the conferences & PAC-10 people will be happy.

Whatever happened to the original format of the BCS.... where each Bowl picked its teams? I guess after the Oregon St/Notre Dame Fiesta Bowl (the time that people really brought up how weak the PAC-10 is-- only to have the Beavers beat the Irish 40+ to 9!) alot of changes had to be made?

So many arguments, so little time. Oh well, I guess all of that #1 ranked recruiting has finally paid off for Macky....what a waste of talent! Although he did get Greg Robinson as D-C, where did he come from??? Oh that's right, KC Chiefs......wow, he must be a defensive genius....KC did not even want him. Funny how it takes 2 DCs to help the horns!
Old 12-09-2004   #48
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34588 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

I hear Cal fans are blaming UT for being out of the BcS. Memo to Cal fans if you had beat USC you would be ranked #3 and out of The Big Game.OU would be playing Auburn and Cal would be in the Rose Bowl playing UT.It is the BcS system that should be attacked not UT!

axman40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004   #49
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=MikeMc]

I don't know...What Would Jesus Do??

Well I don't speak for Jesus but I don't think he'd call people names....
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004   #50
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc
Although he did get Greg Robinson as D-C, where did he come from??? Oh that's right, KC Chiefs......wow, he must be a defensive genius....KC did not even want him. Funny how it takes 2 DCs to help the horns!
Greg Robinson was the defensive coordinator for the Broncos when Elway won his two Super Bowl rings. He ended up at Kansas City and they had no talent on that side of the ball. This past offseason, the Chiefs brought in Gunther Cunningham, former head coach of the Chiefs, and made no major personnel changes to the defense. They are actually worse this year defensively. Clearly Robinson's lack of success in Kansas City is more a reflection of the talent than his coaching.

This year Robinson joined the Longhorns and turned the defense into the strength of the team. They were good last year but they are great this year. It is the defense that has the Longhorns in the Rose Bowl.

I attribute some of that success to Robinson. I wouldn't call him a "genius" but he isn't a dummy either.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004   #51
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Round 2...
Quote:
Huge, the issue is that many feel that the Pac-10 as a whole is a weak conference, so weak, that the beloved saviors of the Big12 (UT) lost to the 3rd best team in the Pac-10 last year in the Holiday Bowl. Historically, many from the Midwest/South & East have said that West Coast schools are weak. If so, why is it that UT lost last year to a Pac-10 team? Especially when Pac-10 teams are supposed to be very weak...what does that make UT?
I still fail to see the relevance of UT losing to Wazzu last year and the PAC-10 being a weak conference this year. They had just 3 teams finish with more than 7 wins, Mike...3 teams. Do you really believe that the same Wazzu team that went 10-3 and beat Texas last year is the same team that went 5-6 this year? I'd really like to hear you explain how.

Quote:
It is relevant to today because someone said that UT would whip CAL if they played. So my suggestion is that P10 schools aren't as weak as you think, especially one that barely lost (on the road) to USC (#1 team). UT almost lost to Arkansas & Kansas! Those teams are very vanilla, how would UT's D be able to deal with CAL's arsenal (Arrington, Rodgers & MacArthur)?
I can only say I'd disagree with the notion that Texas would whip Cal because I don't share that belief. But I also think it works both ways. What makes the Cal supporters so sure they'd romp Texas? UT held OU's arsenal to 12 points. I have no reason to believe they couldn't do the same with Cal.

Quote:
Whatever happened to the original format of the BCS.... where each Bowl picked its teams? I guess after the Oregon St/Notre Dame Fiesta Bowl (the time that people really brought up how weak the PAC-10 is-- only to have the Beavers beat the Irish 40+ to 9!) alot of changes had to be made?
It's still in use. Because the Rose Bowl lost their team (USC) to the BCS title game (and because USC was the highest ranked BSC team), the Rose Bowl got the first pick of which team they wanted to replace out of the 2 at-large teams (they picked Texas). Fiesta followed up with Utah after they lost their team (OU).

Quote:
So many arguments, so little time. Oh well, I guess all of that #1 ranked recruiting has finally paid off for Macky....what a waste of talent! Although he did get Greg Robinson as D-C, where did he come from??? Oh that's right, KC Chiefs......wow, he must be a defensive genius....KC did not even want him. Funny how it takes 2 DCs to help the horns!
Is is just as funny that OU has had 2 defensive coordinators over the past 4 seasons?

BTW, KC's defensive ranking this year - 30th. That's quite an improvement after getting rid of the guy they didn't want.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004   #52
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Here are basically the rules:

1. The #1 and #2 teams in the BCS rankings play one another. That rule overrides all others.

2. No more than 2 teams from the same conference can go to a BCS game.

3. The 6 conference winners from the BCS conferences (Big 12, Big 10, Pac 10, ACC, Big East, SEC) automatically go (the lone exception is if the #1 and #2 ranked teams are at-large teams from the same conference)

4. Any non-BCS teams ranked #6 or better get an automatic at-large bid, if any remain.

5. A #3 ranked BCS conference at-large team gets an automatic bid, if any remain.

6. A #4 ranked BCS conference at-large team gets an automatic bid, if any remain.

7. If there are any remaining at-large bids, a bowl may choose from any team ranked in the top 12 in the BCS rankings.

The past 2 years the #7 option has not been available because both of the at-large bids. They have had a fixed set of teams to choose from.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004   #53
DomDavis
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 DomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVP

Quote:
Um, they would use the other 3 divisions in NCAA for a playoff format...not the NFL.

Dom, I guess you have never heard about the PAC-10 being a weak conference? Did you just discover that thing with the buttons and screen (TV)? No access to an AM radio? It is not something new to NCAA this year, it has always been around (thinking the PAC-10 is weak).

Traditions suck, I guess. I wonder if the Rose Bowl is going to pull out of the BCS. They are like Notre Dame, they do not need the BCS....they could keep the PAC-10 & Big-10 champs and both the conferences & PAC-10 people will be happy.
Yes, Mike, I know the PAC-10 has been accused of overrated before. The problem is that if you prove that you aren't overrated one year (like the PAC-10 did last year), it doesn't necessarily mean that you can't be overrated the next year. They are independent of each other.

If the Rose Bowl wants to pull out of the BCS, go ahead. I just hope you understand that Cal still isn't in the Rose Bowl even if you do that.
Old 12-09-2004   #54
TexansCanes
All Pro

Quote:
Yet somehow I feel that if/when Texas wins, you'll find some other way to spin it instead of recognizing their rightful place.
I and many others on here are not say that UT sucks and shouldn't even go to a bowl game. what we are not saying that they don't deserve to be there, i am saying that Cal deserves just as much if not more. also, as a football fan, i think cal vs. michigan would be a better matchup.

also, what really hurt cal was the hurricane. the game was suppose to be played in early september. if the game is played as scheduled, no notices, but because the game was moved back and everyone was talking about how cal had to blow them out or they might lose their spot in the BCS. they won and they got punished.
Old 12-09-2004   #55
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 45478 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
When it comes down to it, you play the teams you are scheduled. CAL played its schedule better than UT..end of story.
Unfortunately, it's not about what you do on the field, it's about money. Texas is in the Rose Bowl because the BIG 12 coaches flipped their vote to Texas from Cal the previous week with some voting Texas ahead of Auburn. That's undefeated Auburn!! Not only that, they voted Cal as low as 8TH to ensure those Big 12 schools got that Rose Bowl money.

That's why the system (BcS) needs to die today. Not only is it a joke, and not a very funny one, it's also crooked.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004   #56
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34588 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
Unfortunately, it's not about what you do on the field, it's about money. Texas is in the Rose Bowl because the BIG 12 coaches flipped their vote to Texas from Cal the previous week with some voting Texas ahead of Auburn. That's undefeated Auburn!! Not only that, they voted Cal as low as 8TH to ensure those Big 12 schools got that Rose Bowl money.

That's why the system (BcS) needs to die today. Not only is it a joke, and not a very funny one, it's also crooked.
Actually here is the rankings it does not bear out what you suggest.
http://aolsvc.cnnsi.sports.aol.com/f...olls/2004/bcs/
If you look you will see that both AP and coachs poll had Cal 4th and Texas 6th and 5th, it was the computers that leapfrogged Texas over Cal.
Of course I do agree that the current system is total BS.
axman40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004   #57
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman40
Actually here is the rankings it does not bear out what you suggest.
http://aolsvc.cnnsi.sports.aol.com/f...olls/2004/bcs/
If you look you will see that both AP and coachs poll had Cal 4th and Texas 6th and 5th, it was the computers that leapfrogged Texas over Cal.
Of course I do agree that the current system is total BS.
I won't claim to understand the whole thing, but evidently there are 4th's and there are 4th's--Orwell would have a field day. Cal was 4th overall, but their 4th wasn't as strong on the last vote because some coaches and/or reporters switched votes and that accounted for the swap more than the computers did.
Old 12-11-2004   #58
DomDavis
Veteran

Quote:

That's a nice conspiracy theory... too bad it doesn't hold up. If the coaches poll is held exactly the same as the previous week, Texas would still be in the BCS. This is a fact. It's not to say that Big 12 coaches should be excused if they did this - it's obviously a bad practice - but it was not the reason Texas got to the BCS.
Old 12-11-2004   #59
ComstockLode
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
I am thinking the rose bowl probably saved Mack Browns job.

At least this season we are getting a return (rose bowl money) on a coach making millions a year. (I was hearing that he was making 2.5 milllion but not sure)
Mack Brown has a contract signed until 2011. He is the first coach in texas history to post two 11 win seasons in a row. He is not going anywhere for a long time. Think Joe Paterno.
ComstockLode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004   #60
ComstockLode
Veteran

Quote:

And to point out more of your corruption. Neal McCready of the Mobile register had texas ranked 9th the week before.

Most coaches didnt move texas ahead of Cal, they just moved them ahead of Utah. The AP pollsters still did. Cal was clearly leading in both human polls, texas made up ground taking votes from Utah.
ComstockLode is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read