Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Michigan vs Texas and ...wth?

Ihategeeks

Veteran
Cal, what the hell happened to Cal? Texas would be a fantastic game too.

But the RoseBowl is always a Pac-10 and BigTen.

Odd.

For Cal to make it the "Rose Bowl" meant everything to them. They have been trying to get back there since 1959. For Texas to go to the "Rose Bowl", just means there school gets more money. Thank's a lot BCS!

yeah I like texas but I feel that Cal got short handed I also hate the automatic bowl bid for teams like Michigan and Pitt its kinda like the NFC playoff picture alot of the teams flatout dont belogn there but what can we do.

gwallaia said:
Mack Brown's pouting got the Horns in the Rose Bowl.
If I have this right and I may not but: THE BCS COMPUTERS PUT THEM IN! I dont think the computers listened to Mack Brown. From what I remember hearing or reading is that Texas only picked up five votes in the human polls...

Since Cal and Texas had the same record, I love the strength of schedule in this situation (which I think they took out of the BCS, and it was the only one to make sense): Texas opponents had a winning percentage of .545%, Cal’s opponents had a winning percentage of .500%. Cal plays in the PAC-freaking-10. I would love to see a Cal vs. Texas Rose Bowl, though...

From what I understand, TEN coaches flipped their vote to Texas, picking Cal the previous week. Cal was ahead of UT, both teams won, Cal should have stayed ahead of Texas.

The human polls didn't work. The BcS is a freaking joke. GET A PLAYOFF SYSTEM ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't feel sorry for Cal. Try going to THREE Holiday bowls in four years WHILE being ranked in the top 10 each time.

I am thinking the rose bowl probably saved Mack Browns job.

At least this season we are getting a return (rose bowl money) on a coach making millions a year. (I was hearing that he was making 2.5 milllion but not sure)

Being a Notre Dame fan by nature...I DESPISE the Michigan Wolverines. On Jan 1, I will be wearing Wolverine Blue and Gold...Texas needs to start thinking about beating OU. Then it can worry about what BCS bowl it gets.

I have lived here for 2 years now...I watch UT fans laugh and heckle while their team blows out weak competition...(North Texas this year for example), then whine and cry when facing an opponent equal to or better than they are. (OU for example). It's funny how quickly you change your tune when you are on the short end of the talent pool.

Note to UT fans...Try having a little class when your team is pounding the lesser opponents, and people won't revel in displaying a lack of class while you are getting shut out.

MarleyFan said:
For Cal to make it the "Rose Bowl" meant everything to them. They have been trying to get back there since 1959. For Texas to go to the "Rose Bowl", just means there school gets more money. Thank's a lot BCS!

I totally disagree with you......it does mean a lot to Texas and Texas fans!

Anyone can say what they want.....I think Texas belongs there BUT that is just my opinion! I think strength of schedule SHOULD play a roll! Actually...I think the problem is the BCS. Until we have a playoff system, someone is always going to get screwed!

txhoosier said:
I have lived here for 2 years now...I watch UT fans laugh and heckle while their team blows out weak competition...(North Texas this year for example), then whine and cry when facing an opponent equal to or better than they are. (OU for example). It's funny how quickly you change your tune when you are on the short end of the talent pool.

Note to UT fans...Try having a little class when your team is pounding the lesser opponents, and people won't revel in displaying a lack of class while you are getting shut out.

I am sorry that you think ALL Texas fans don't have class. I support my Horns win or lose same way I do with the Texans. I don't think I am a rude of obvoxious fan at all. Believe me, I see MANY faults with the program. We did not RUN UP THE score with North Texas....shoot...none of our starters even played in the 3rd or 4th quarter. I have NEVER whined or cried about us losing to OU 5 years in row.....they outplayed us and Stoops outcoached Mack Brown. That is just the way it is!

As a Longhorn and native Texan I could care less about Cal...they sure wouldn't care if we had gotten screwed over.

And college football desperately needs a playoff system but from all I've read and heard that will not happen in the immediate future.

txhoosier said:
Being a Notre Dame fan by nature...I DESPISE the Michigan Wolverines. On Jan 1, I will be wearing Wolverine Blue and Gold...Texas needs to start thinking about beating OU. Then it can worry about what BCS bowl it gets.

You can say the same for Cal, beat USC and then you could have gone to the BCS, way to play Southern Miss (who is play North Texas) a real powerhouse there. I don't like the way Texas got in at the last minute, I wonder the whole year why Cal was above them, they both lost to a top 2 team, both played some cream puffs, but I thought Texas played more ranked teams throughout their schedule. I think the BCS did to save face, Texas could a realistically gone to the BCS the 2 previous years. So not to hear the ridicule of their system for having a team that is deserving not go in 3 years, and the talk that would drum up about the system not working. They decided to put Texas in and keep lining our pockets with cash (BCS officals that is).

William said:
yeah I like texas but I feel that Cal got short handed I also hate the automatic bowl bid for teams like Michigan and Pitt its kinda like the NFC playoff picture alot of the teams flatout dont belogn there but what can we do.

There is the problem, it needs to go to top 8 teams, no automatic bids.

LonghornBabe said:
I am sorry that you think ALL Texas fans don't have class. I support my Horns win or lose same way I do with the Texans. I don't think I am a rude of obvoxious fan at all. Believe me, I see MANY faults with the program. We did not RUN UP THE score with North Texas....shoot...none of our starters even played in the 3rd or 4th quarter. I have NEVER whined or cried about us losing to OU 5 years in row.....they outplayed us and Stoops outcoached Mack Brown. That is just the way it is!
Let me apologize for inferring that ALL UT fans are that way...I didn't mean it like that. While writing that, I was picturing the 40 or 50 morons at BW-3 in Clear Lake who were berating the North Texas guys this year.

While cycling, I have met many a Texas Ex, and other UT alum...who are quite nice. Sorry for the slight.

txhoosier said:
North Texas was 7-4 this season, if you call that a weak oppenent then I wonder what you think about the 6 teams Cal faced that finished the season with a record under .500. Including the 1-10 Washington Huskies. idonno:

gwallaia said:

It helped, because Mack Brown has in his contract that if Texas reaches a BCS bowl....$75,000 bonus goes his way.

North Texas was 7-4 this season, if you call that a weak oppenent then I wonder what you think about the 6 teams Cal faced that finished the season with a record under .500. Including the 1-10 Washington Huskies.

it's not that hard to go 7-4 in the Sun Belt Conference with teams like UL Monroe, Troy, Arkansas State, Utah State, UL Lafayette, Idaho, New Mexico State, and Middle Tennesse State, and Only one other team had a winning record, which was troy. Also, Comparing North Texas and Washington isn't a fair comparision because Washington is a conference opponent much like Baylor, but you can say they play in a weak conference. The pac-10 is worse than the overrated big 8(plus medium 4). you can also say that cal played usc a lot closer than ut played ou. also mack brown is a joke, did you see him begging coaches for votes, if you could coach your team you wouldn't have to. i didn't see tefford stooping that low.

The human polls didn't work. The BcS is a freaking joke. GET A PLAYOFF SYSTEM ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!

a playoff would only help this situation because it would probably get rid of the bowl system, which i think would be the worse for college football.

actually it is nothing like the NFC wild card picture unless you are saying that afc teams are being left out. because for it to be like the nfc wild card their would have to be a division that has four of the top six records but one can't to the playoffs because a division champ has a worse record but gets the automatic bid.

at Air Force W 56-14
New Mexico State W 41-14
at Southern Miss Ppd. --
at Oregon State W 49-7
at (1) USC L 17-23
UCLA W 45-28
at Arizona W 38-0
(21) Arizona State W 27-0
Oregon W 28-27
at Washington W 42-12
Stanford W 41-6
at Southern Miss W 26-16

UT
North Texas W 65-0
at Arkansas W 22-20
Rice W 35-13
Baylor W 44-14
at (2) Oklahoma L 0-12
Missouri W 28-20
at (23) Texas Tech W 51-21
at Colorado W 31-7
Oklahoma State W 56-35
at Kansas W 27-23
(22) Texas A&M W 26-13

Note to all the people who are blaming Texas,it's the BcS system that has the problem.I have heard fron the Cal coach and QB but they have not address the crappy system. Yo Rogers why did your coach not sell his team to BcS crowd?
What about Auburn? If I was An Auburn fan I would love to see my team in a playoff but NO you hear the same lame well this is the system we play by!
Hey man the system is a sick freaking joke that does not need tweaking ,it needs to be blown up!IMO! Thank You.
:bouncey:

profan said:
Well, a 10-1 record had a little something to do with Texas getting in more than Brown's comments.

That would be a good theory if the team they jumped didn't have the same record and if the team they jumped's one loss hadn't come by a narrower margin to the #1 team while Texas' one loss came to the #2 team with a bigger loss.

don't blame the system, your team should be good enough with out having to have the coach go on every tv station to try and get some pitty votes.

Ok, where to begin....

UT got beat by WashSt last year in the Holiday Bowl.....WAZZU!
So don't try and say they would do anything to CAL this year.

CAL took care of everyone on their schedule... USC they lost to by 6points at Pasadena, and it was a very close game. UT got shutout by OU! Hell UofH scored twice on OU!

CAL went to "The Rock" and beat a very tough Southern Miss team. If none of you have been there, you do not know how tough it is.....one of the toughest places to play in the nation! But they won.

UT, on the other hand, should have lost to Arkansas, but barely won by 2 points. Almost lost to 5-6 Missouri, at home! AND UT was getting kicked around by Kansas (until a last second desparation pass)! FREAKIN KANSAS!!

And so what if UT beat A&M (overated)......they lost to BAYLOR!!

CAL took care of business without any questions. It was just that the "Good Ole Boy" system of the SE worked again --- against those crazy liberals in the West--- see last year (USC vs. OU & LSU). I would hate to see what the PAC-10 & the Rose Bowl would have done if USC got snubbed this year (if AUburn & OU were in the Orange Bowl)!

I guess I am just a purist when it comes to College Football --- the Rose Bowl should always be Pac-10 vs. Big-10.

It was all because of Mack Brown's BUSH-like campaigning. Now the only reason I will watch the Rose Bowl is to see UT get their butts whipped by Meeeeeechigan! This will prove that UT is no better than the Cotton Bowl or Holiday Bowl!

If you guys think the hippies from Berkeley got the shaft in the Bowl selection, wait til Bobo gives em the Big Shaft in front of their pinko fans. If Southern Miss can throw for 400 yards against these commies... "Say good night, Gracie"
Time to kill us up some hippies! :patriot

Cal struggled against Oregon and Southern Miss. Texas struggled against Kansas and Missouri. That is a wash.

Cal lost to the #1 team in the country and Texas lost to the #2 team in the country. That is a wash.

You claim the Aggies are overrated because they lost to Baylor. How is that any worse than Arizona State, the only top rated team Cal beat, losing to lowly Arizona?

So basically that leaves us with a win over Texas Tech and who was Cal's second best victory? Heck I bet Oklahoma State has more ranking votes than the 2nd best team Cal beat all year.

I feel for Cal. I think the current system is sucks. I really think that both teams deserve a top notch bowl game. The fact that the Big East has held on to their automatic bid with BC, Miami, and VTech leaving is a joke. I would also like to see teams lose their automatic bid to a BCS game if the team is not ranked high enough in the BCS.

It would have sucked if Colorado and Tennessee had won their respective conferences. The bowls would have been even more of a joke.

Round 1...

But the RoseBowl is always a Pac-10 and BigTen.

Correction: It used to be PAC-10/Big-10. When the Rose Bowl aligned themselves with the BCS, they ran the risk of breaking this tradition. I believe the Rose has been PAC-10/BIG-10 just once in the past 4 years (including this one).

Yeah, I'm sure Texas' identical record, more wins over top 25 opponents and a tougher SOS had nothing to do with it.

From what I understand, TEN coaches flipped their vote to Texas, picking Cal the previous week. Cal was ahead of UT, both teams won, Cal should have stayed ahead of Texas.

This one is very important so listen closely: There is a post made by a UT fan that I will re-post in a minute. He does a breakdown of these votes and basically gives those coaches votes back to Cal. Result - Texas still finishes ahead of Cal.

What somebody else already stated. It's fair for Cal to go to the Rose w/o beating USC but it's required of Texas to beat OU? Spare me the "closer game". They lost.

it's not that hard to go 7-4 in the Sun Belt Conference with teams like UL Monroe, Troy, Arkansas State, Utah State, UL Lafayette, Idaho, New Mexico State, and Middle Tennesse State, and Only one other team had a winning record, which was troy. Also, Comparing North Texas and Washington isn't a fair comparision because Washington is a conference opponent much like Baylor, but you can say they play in a weak conference. The pac-10 is worse than the overrated big 8(plus medium 4). you can also say that cal played usc a lot closer than ut played ou. also mack brown is a joke, did you see him begging coaches for votes, if you could coach your team you wouldn't have to. i didn't see tefford stooping that low.

Well no s4it Tefford didn't stoop that low...he was in the race the entire year. How dumb is he going to look if he's complaining about not getting votes when he's sitting on a Rose Bowl invite? Aaron Rodgers whined about Mack Brown begging for votes and said a team should be able to rely on their record to speak for itself. What did he do shortly after that? He whined about the BCS. Hello pot, meet kettle.

That would be a good theory if the team they jumped didn't have the same record and if the team they jumped's one loss hadn't come by a narrower margin to the #1 team while Texas' one loss came to the #2 team with a bigger loss.

So we should base a team's appearance in a BCS bowl on how they performed in one game? How did Cal do against all the top 25 teams they played this year? Oh, that's right...they only played 2 going 1-1.

Ok, where to begin....

UT got beat by WashSt last year in the Holiday Bowl.....WAZZU!
So don't try and say they would do anything to CAL this year.

I'm trying to figure out what last year has to do with this year.

CAL took care of everyone on their schedule... USC they lost to by 6points at Pasadena, and it was a very close game. UT got shutout by OU! Hell UofH scored twice on OU!

Cal did look better against USC than Texas did against OU. But quick, name the other team in the country that kept Jason White and Adrian Peterson both out of the endzone in the same game. Oh, that's right...there isn't one.

And thank God UT didn't have to play Houston this year. I can only imagine the butt kicking the Cougars would've laid on the Longhorns.

CAL went to "The Rock" and beat a very tough Southern Miss team. If none of you have been there, you do not know how tough it is.....one of the toughest places to play in the nation! But they won.

The same Southern Miss that got beat 42-17 by TCU this year? Please. Check their home record this year and tell me some of their other impressive victories and I'll concede that they're a tough team to play at home.

It was all because of Mack Brown's BUSH-like campaigning. Now the only reason I will watch the Rose Bowl is to see UT get their butts whipped by Meeeeeechigan! This will prove that UT is no better than the Cotton Bowl or Holiday Bowl!

Yet somehow I feel that if/when Texas wins, you'll find some other way to spin it instead of recognizing their rightful place.

Someone mentioned that the PAC-10 is a patsy conf, yet UT got whooped by WAZZU last year. That is where the relevance comes in....Reading: its fundamental!

UT struggled against Arkansas at home....forgot that one....advantage CAL!

When it comes down to it, you play the teams you are scheduled. CAL played its schedule better than UT..end of story.

CAL feel in the rankings after a win and UT was idle....that makes sense.

UT does not deserve to be there...they should be back in the Holiday Bowl, where they belong.

I am sure many UT Horns cannot see that becuase they have their burnt orange colored glasses on. Hell the majority of UT fans never went to UT and are just the college version of Cowboy fan.....bandwagon fan that follows the current winners (where were all the UT fans back in the 90s?_! -- nevermind, they were FlaSt fans or A&M fans!

Here's that post from a Texas fan:

The Pac 10 commish, the Cal coach, and many others are harping on some of the voting patterns that may have tainted the BCS. Let's talk about it. Let me take item by item some of the problems that have been discussed (and I will make adjustments accordingly).

-- You complain about the 3 Texas based AP voters who switched and put Texas ahead of Cal. I'm gonna switch it back for ya. (typing). There you go!

-- You complain about the Alabama jerk who suddenly realized Texas is not the #9 team, but he suddenly moved us up to #5. Bear in mind, he still had Texas behind you guys, but what the hay? Let's take away those four points from Texas, shall we?

-- You are offended (and you have a case) that some coaches put Texas #2 or #3. You are right. That is wrong. I'm taking it all away. I will take away those points from Texas, and because y'all are so damn confident that you unequivocally outrank Texas, I will reassign all these #2/#3 Texas coach votes to Texas as a #5 vote. (More typing). There we go! And I'm being so nice today, I'm gonna go ahead and leave the pro-Cal #3 vote that mysteriously appeared in the final coaches poll.

-- You are offended that 6 coaches put you #7 or #8. Yes, that's wrong, too. Forget the fact that 8 coaches had Texas #7 or #8, the media is not mentioning that fact at all, but whatever. What I will do for y'all... I will take all 6 Cal #7/#8 votes, and because y'all are so convinced you are the better team, I will magically turn those into #4 votes, ahead of Texas.

So where do we stand after all these very generous changes?

#4 Texas 0.8442
#5 Cal 0.8391

That's right. We eliminated a little more than half of the difference. So much for the razor thin margin. So much for the conspiracy taking away your Rose Bowl bid. Y'all need to get together, figure out another injustice, and let me know, so we can try to plug a way for you guys to win.

OK. Now that I have mathematically shown (and given you all are very smart students at Berkeley, and you know based on what I said above, I'm right), let me give you all the reasons why you need to shut up already and just accept your damn Holiday Bowl bid.

1. The "Conspiracy Effect" Doesn't Add Up
This is what was just proven above. In the end, it makes for a neat Trev Alberts, PTI, New York Times, Seattle Times story, but it didn't really matter.

2. You Outranked Us in Both Human Polls
Al Gore wanted a recount, investigations, because he had LOST the human vote. You guys won it, damn it! Not only do you outrank us #4/#5 in the coach's poll, but you have the added benefit of a wedge (Utah) to outrank us #4/#6 in the AP poll. WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?? How can you allege fraud in the human polls, when in the end, they WENT IN YOUR FAVOR?

Forget the fact that both teams have identical records, and a good case to make as both teams lost to undefeated national title contenders. It's understandable that some voters will vote Cal #4/Texas #5, and vice versa. If you refuse to accept that premise, you are being naive. It is not a slam dunk case, that in every voter's mind, that you are better than Texas. You know it and we know it. I will never argue that every voter should have Texas higher than Cal, and you should never argue the opposite. It's a grey area.

And in the end, the grey area was in your favor. You are unhappy, because it wasn't overwhelmingly ENOUGH in your favor. Oh well.

3. There's a reason the computers liked Texas
Cal's cumulative opponents win/loss was 61-61, a perfect breakeven.
Texas' cumulative opponents win/loss was 67-56, 11 games over 0.500

That's right. The best way we can try to demote our schedule to your level, is to pull out the undefeated 12-0 record of our best opponent, Oklahoma. But given that you guys [censored] and [censored] and [censored] how close you came to beating your undefeated opponent, I don't think we can accomodate you there.

We beat 5 teams that had 7 or more victories. You defeated one. One. One team that won 7 or more games.

4. Be fair about each of our losses.
I am more than willing to grant you that you played USC better than we played OU. But don't go saying that you practically beat USC (because you outgained them, and your wideout tripped on his route), while we got blown out by OU. The score of the OU game at halftime was Oklahoma 3, Texas 0. It was Oklahoma 6, Texas 0 up until 8 minutes in the 4th quarter. I realize that given you are Pac 10 fans, you must shiver when you see such a defensive struggle. But this was a very close game.

Again, we did not do as well against our rival as you did against yours. You guys were close. But don't go saying that we were blown out by OU.

5. Be fair about each of our sloppy wins.
Kansas. Boy, the media sure loves that game. We played sloppy in that one no doubt, but you guys know that as time was winding down, the Oregon WR dropped a wideopen, easy pass that puts them well within field goal range. So those are both near misses against sub-0.500 teams.

Arkansas. Well, I was happy with that one, it was an electric environment. It was probably closer than it should have been. Honestly, I do think this is a wash with your Southern Miss game. On the road, close at the end (game was nearly tied 17-16 with a mere 6 minutes left). But in the end, the better team won.

If you try to assert that any of our wins beyond KU and Arkansas were low quality or squeakers in nature, you are wrong (in my opinion). I attended and re-watched each of these games. Kansas and Arkansas made me sweat, but as the games concluded, none of the others were really in question, and they were all by reasonable victory margins. Yes, a comeback was needed against Okla State, but we won that game by 21 points.

6. Quit harping on the Big 10/Pac 10 sanctity ****.
For years, the Rose Bowl has been diligent in preserving tradition by always inviting the champion of the Big 10, to play the champion of the Pac 10.

Three teams: Michigan, Cal, and Texas. Only one of them meets this tradition, and last time I checked, that team is going to the Rose Bowl. Tell me, again, how the tradition is being violated.

7. Quit saying Mack Brown's "whining" did the trick.
While you and Utah were off, and after we defeated a ranked A&M team in a rivalry game, Mack Brown made public statements asking for voters to reconsider their votes. Some have portrayed this as "whining," some may say he was politicking, but whatever you want to call it, it doesn't matter. He was certainly making an appeal to voters.

When the polls came out merely 2 days later (again bearing in mind that Texas beat a ranked team, Cal and Utah were off), here's what happened: Cal GAINED 4 points in the human polls. Texas LOST ground after defeating a ranked team by 13pts, while Cal was off. If ANYTHING, the "whining" backfired. It clearly didn't help.

Here's a thought.... maybe Cal lost ground in the human polls in the following week (a full 9 days after Mack's "whining") because of a subpar performance against a mediocre conference USA opponent. Because they were virtually tied with Southern Miss with only 6 minutes remaining in the game. Not because of Mack's "whining." And if you think it is wrong for Cal to be penalized on ballots because they didn't look good against a mediocre opponent -- welcome to college football. Teams have constantly been tweaked because of soft performances. Nebraska, in 1997, lost considerable votes (relative to Michigan) when it needed some luck to squeak by Mizzou. The precedent is ample, and reasonable. In fact, Texas according to many voters was being penalized for its performance against Kansas. What goes around, comes around.

Class dismissed...

CAL feel in the rankings after a win and UT was idle....that makes sense.

When did this happen? I'd love to hear it (mainly because I'm going to blow your response out of the water).

Someone mentioned that the PAC-10 is a patsy conf, yet UT got whooped by WAZZU last year. That is where the relevance comes in....Reading: its fundamental!

And again, I fail to see the significance of last year to this year.

Wazzu beat UT in the Holiday Bowl last year. So the PAC-10 MUST be tough this year!

Outstadning logic, Mike.

Warning...Mike is a hater when it comes to UT. If you ask him, he will tell you that UH has a better football program than Texas. As a matter of fact...before the season, he said that UH would play OU closer than Texas would! OH WELL! His loss! :)

Oh I know he (Mike) is (a Texas hater). But they're the easiest ones to pick on becaue they let that hate get in the way of common sense. :heh:

MikeMc said:
bandwagon fan that follows the current winners (where were all the UT fans back in the 90s?_! -- nevermind, they were FlaSt fans or A&M fans!

UH had a good football program in the '70's, '80's and early '90's. They actually HAD a following.

I went to the UH vs. TCU game last year. They are still trying to add up the score of that one. The stadium seats what 40,000 seats? About half of them were empty against an (at the time) undefeated TCU team. It didn't used to be that way. The team slid and so did the bandwagon support.

The point is, people come out of the woodwork when a team starts to win consistently. It has just been a LONG time since that has happened for Houston. Hell it may not happen again for a LONG, LONG time Mike. Deal with it.

For the record, I got a degree from UT.

MikeMc said:
When it comes down to it, you play the teams you are scheduled. CAL played its schedule better than UT..end of story.

It takes more than that. Otherwise, Utah would be the #1 team in the country.

MikeMc said:
I am sure many UT whorns cannot see that becuase they have their burnt orange colored glasses on. Hell the majority of UT fans never went to UT and are just the college version of Cowboy fan.....bandwagon fan that follows the current winners (where were all the UT fans back in the 90s?_! -- nevermind, they were FlaSt fans or A&M fans!

Well I went to UT but didn't graduate from there. I'm no bandwagon fan. As for the Cowboy fan remark I had season tickets for over a decade and it was the same fans, year in and year out.

It's really kind of sad that people that are from Texas or live in Texas cannot support the TEXAS teams that are going to represent in the various bowls. I will be cheering for A & M and I guess Tech is going somewhere so I'll be hoping for a victory for them. It's a state thing for me.

And is it really necessary to call somebody from UT a "whorn" ?

What the heck is a "whorn" anyway?

Mike has never been objective anyways. His concern over bias is hypocritical, at best.

I'm pretty sure he is wishing he could change the n at the end of the word to a certain vowel and I guess that's what he thinks of Horn fans.

It sucks for Cal because they are not a top football program and only get this chance once every 20 years or so. On the other hand UT is a perennial college football power and will alway's be some where near the top.

Huge, the issue is that many feel that the Pac-10 as a whole is a weak conference, so weak, that the beloved saviors of the Big12 (UT) lost to the 3rd best team in the Pac-10 last year in the Holiday Bowl. Historically, many from the Midwest/South & East have said that West Coast schools are weak. If so, why is it that UT lost last year to a Pac-10 team? Especially when Pac-10 teams are supposed to be very weak...what does that make UT?

It is relevant to today because someone said that UT would whip CAL if they played. So my suggestion is that P10 schools aren't as weak as you think, especially one that barely lost (on the road) to USC (#1 team). UT almost lost to Arkansas & Kansas! Those teams are very vanilla, how would UT's D be able to deal with CAL's arsenal (Arrington, Rodgers & MacArthur)?

As a proud Cougar, I don't always approve of UT. I do not believe in the "follow all Texas schools" because I pledge loyalty to one school, not several in the state. You do what you wish, agree to disagree, etc.

Maybe if the horns fans didn't have their heads so far up their rears (or Bevo's), they would see why no one really likes them. But then again, how could anyone hate on perfection?? Right! :shocked

And is it really necessary to call somebody from UT a "whorn" ?

I don't know...What Would Jesus Do??

As for the problems at UH, it has a lot to do with things many of you would not understand. Student apathy is the main problem, which comes from a very diverse student body, 60% of which do not care about American Football. Another issue is that the city of Houston has so much more to offer college students now with the revamped DT. The commuter-school tie is there as well. Look at other major programs with strong followings....not much else to do in the towns on Saturdays....Norman & College Station are the freaking "sticks", and your only alternative is to go Cow tippin'!

Yes winning does bring the fans in, last year proved that (as did lack of Ws this year). I am proud of my school as a whole, not just for the athletics department, but for the Business school, Science & Engineering Departments and the overall experience of UH ( and Houston community).

are we really sittin' around feeling sorry for some hippies
you guys make me want to be sick
they're from Berkeley d@#% California
cry me a river

mixed feelings on this one....i've been a cal fan since Geoff Mcarthur (that wr that broke his ankle in the southern miss game) told me they would be going to the Rose Bowl...Of course I didn't believe him b/c it's Cal, but man how close he was to being right!

Tedford and co. went out in style. Did Texas deserve it? Maybe not. Did Cal deserve it? Maybe not. but I can gurantee you theres about 5,000 athletes that would kill to be in Cal's position right now instead of sitting and pondering their future.

better yet did PITT deserve it? heck did Michigan deserve it ? they are ranked 13th.. I don't understand the hating on a school just because the system doesn't work and will it ever work? Division 3 makes it work , oh wait.. there is much more money at stake at the top (div 1)

By the way, for all you Cal fans that want to talk about Kansas... why don't you tell me about Oregon? At least the Kansas game was on the road. Cal beat Oregon 28-27 at Berkeley and would have lost the game had the Oregon wide receiver not dropped a completely wide open pass in the final minute at the Cal 20-yard line. Don't act like Texas is the only team with close calls.

Also, claiming #1/#2 when comparing the USC and OU games is completely irrelevant. The only reason USC is #1 is media bias. Neither team has distinguished itself from the other (yet), and until they do, it's absolutely stupid to act like Cal played a better team. Furthermore, while the end result was closer, Texas was within 3-0 or 6-0 of OU until eight minutes to go in the fourth quarter. Cal trailed USC 10-0 and 23-10 for very large portions of the game. While Cal had a nice comeback, there are multiple ways to spin those games - you could just as easily say that Texas was more competitive with OU (for a longer period of time) than Cal was with USC. The bottom line is that both lost, and you move on to the rest of the schedule. And for the rest of the schedule, Texas has many more top 25 wins and a tougher schedule and an identical record. Game, set, match.

And the Big 10/Pac 10 tradition argument is absurd. The Rose Bowl is a place for the champion of the Big 10 to meet the champion of the Pac 10. Unfortunately for the haters, Cal is not the champion of the Pac 10. USC is. Unless you're going to match the true champions of both leagues, the tradition is gone. It doesn't matter whether Michigan plays California or Texas... either way it is different from what tradition dictates. So you move on to try and distinguish the better team.

Lamest. Argument. Ever.

As someone already pointed out, by this logic, all the top football teams should just become independent and schedule 11 cupcakes and win them all 60-0. This would mean they played their schedule better than a team who had some close calls against decent competition, right?

Also, when someone is talking about the Pac 10 as a weak conference, I'm pretty sure they're talking about this year. And last year has no real connection to this year. In fact, I'd bet that this entire thread is about this year. As a result, any results from previous years with different teams are basically irrelevant.

Here's what I find so funny about the anti-Texas crowd. You say Texas has no claim to the BCS unless it beats OU. Whatever. But the team you are suggesting is better (Cal) didn't beat USC, the Pac 10 equivalent of OU. If Texas has to beat its big rival to "worry about what BCS bowl it gets", how does Cal not have to beat USC to worry about what BCS bowl they get?

Note to you... every team in college football thinks they're better than they are and acts a little classless at the expense of lesser opponents. This isn't something that's unique of exclusive to UT; it's everywhere. If you don't like it, don't watch college football. Of course, I'm sure you'll continue to ignore it everywhere else so you can maintain your irrational hatred.

Here's what I don't get. Mack Brown did his campaigning after the A&M game, and there was actually a net downward movement in the poll the following Sunday for Texas. So in the two days after his comments, no one cared what Brown had to say, but a week and a half later they suddenly decided that they cared? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

And aside from that, what exactly is wrong for campaigning for your team? If you think your team is underrated and you feel you can help your team and your university by getting the message out, isn't that part of a coaches job? I would be extremely disappointed in Mack Brown if he weren't campaigning to every voter on what his team accomplished. He's doing all he can for his group of players. If you don't like the idea of coaches campaigning, then gripe at the BCS/poll system, not the coaches themselves. It's absolutely absurd to expect coaches to stand by doing nothing while a few voters who don't even watch most of the games make the decisions about the future of the teams. Campaigning is a part of the business, and if you don't like it, complain about the system, not the campaigners themselves.

well texas always gets the shaft, i mean they lost to one team OU and only lost by 12 points ! I'm glad the coach spoke out, this team is talented and look at the schedule they had !

heck they lost to colorado in the Big 12 Championship game in 2001 (texas ranked #3) and missed out on BCS all together .. while last year Oklahoma lost in the Championship and still went to the BCS "championship"
:hmmm:

i hate the BCS, i wish theyd change the whole system and have it more of a play-off system like the nfl does ! even division 1-AA ex.(Sam Houston State) has a better system than division 1-A ex.(University of Texas). Something needs to change in the system its an unfair way of placing teams especially teams like Texas !

Um, they would use the other 3 divisions in NCAA for a playoff format...not the NFL.

Dom, I guess you have never heard about the PAC-10 being a weak conference? Did you just discover that thing with the buttons and screen (TV)? No access to an AM radio? It is not something new to NCAA this year, it has always been around (thinking the PAC-10 is weak).

Traditions suck, I guess. I wonder if the Rose Bowl is going to pull out of the BCS. They are like Notre Dame, they do not need the BCS....they could keep the PAC-10 & Big-10 champs and both the conferences & PAC-10 people will be happy.

Whatever happened to the original format of the BCS.... where each Bowl picked its teams? I guess after the Oregon St/Notre Dame Fiesta Bowl (the time that people really brought up how weak the PAC-10 is-- only to have the Beavers beat the Irish 40+ to 9!) alot of changes had to be made?

So many arguments, so little time. Oh well, I guess all of that #1 ranked recruiting has finally paid off for Macky....what a waste of talent! Although he did get Greg Robinson as D-C, where did he come from??? Oh that's right, KC Chiefs......wow, he must be a defensive genius....KC did not even want him. Funny how it takes 2 DCs to help the horns!

I hear Cal fans are blaming UT for being out of the BcS. Memo to Cal fans if you had beat USC you would be ranked #3 and out of The Big Game.OU would be playing Auburn and Cal would be in the Rose Bowl playing UT.It is the BcS system that should be attacked not UT!

:listening

MikeMc said:
Although he did get Greg Robinson as D-C, where did he come from??? Oh that's right, KC Chiefs......wow, he must be a defensive genius....KC did not even want him. Funny how it takes 2 DCs to help the horns!

Greg Robinson was the defensive coordinator for the Broncos when Elway won his two Super Bowl rings. He ended up at Kansas City and they had no talent on that side of the ball. This past offseason, the Chiefs brought in Gunther Cunningham, former head coach of the Chiefs, and made no major personnel changes to the defense. They are actually worse this year defensively. Clearly Robinson's lack of success in Kansas City is more a reflection of the talent than his coaching.

This year Robinson joined the Longhorns and turned the defense into the strength of the team. They were good last year but they are great this year. It is the defense that has the Longhorns in the Rose Bowl.

I attribute some of that success to Robinson. I wouldn't call him a "genius" but he isn't a dummy either.

Back