Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Are you willing to join me in inciting a riot?
Hell yeah!!! NO MNF = BURN DOWN THE CITY!!! 41 45.56%
No, I could care less 49 54.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-2008   #41
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE
Default Re: Will you riot if the Texans do not get a Monday Night Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
The only time I recall they were on MNF they played the Bears. The Bears were the national draw. QB Matt Leinart was the AZ story line.
Arizona had a monday night football game week 1 last year.
Old 04-04-2008   #42
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 65389 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post
vs the 49'ers who were supposed to be a playoff team.

San Francisco 20, Arizona 17

I know people like to think that Houston wouldn't attract a lot of viewing, but there's 5 million people just in this city. I think plenty of football fans would tune into ESPN to watch the Texans play anybody. I don't think the Thursday night football game the Texans played suffered from terrible ratings.
Old 04-04-2008   #43
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 164018 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They played SF. SF has the national following. And there's the Matt Leinart hook; USC-exes (especially national champion winning, Heisman winning QBs) also bring the L.A. audience.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008   #44
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 18132 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
vs the 49'ers who were supposed to be a playoff team.

San Francisco 20, Arizona 17

I know people like to think that Houston wouldn't attract a lot of viewing, but there's 5 million people just in this city. I think plenty of football fans would tune into ESPN to watch the Texans play anybody. I don't think the Thursday night football game the Texans played suffered from terrible ratings.
Yeah, Houston's metro area is near 6 million, and Southeast Texas along is near 7 million. That is more than like 30 states. Take Houston, and have a game against Chicago or Cincy at home. Away, a Cleveland or Pittsburgh matchup.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008   #45
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 42174 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And it was the 2nd game of the Monday night doubleheader. I didn't even stay up to watch that, and I doubt I'm staying up to watch game 2 this year. Game 2 isn't the "real" Monday night game anyway, IMO.

Yeah MNF has lost some of it's prestige, but it's still the only game of the day. Wouldn't mind it at all, but it matters not to me. I think I'm looking more at getting more 3:00 games, especially at home, than getting a Thursday, Sunday or Monday nighter.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008   #46
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 106329 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Not to split hairs here, but to split a hair I voted no, I could care less. The reason I could care less is because I care enough to be a little miffed we haven't had a Monday Night'er with the Tacks. If it said no, I couldn't care less that would be inaccurate, and the other choice was riots, and I quit rioting when I was 10 after I couldn't go out and play. (Dad came home and took the riot out of me)
Showtime100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008   #47
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 164018 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

one of the options should have been, "would you overload the computers and switchboards at abc.com?"

but since we haven't gotten organized as a fanbase and done that, I guess the answer is already "no".
Sponsored links
Old 04-05-2008   #48
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

we will get one soon enough

the AFC South divison is the best divison in the AFC

we have to get love
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008   #49
texanmojo
Shotgun 30 Time

Section: The Nosebleeds
Rep Power: 3019 texanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
I think I'm looking more at getting more 3:00 games, especially at home, than getting a Thursday, Sunday or Monday nighter.
I'm with you. I want later games...and as many night games as we can handle. The night time tailgates are the very best!
texanmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008   #50
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Speaking as a guy who LOOKS LIKE a suspect to quite a few things (I guess I have that kind of face) I can tell you violence isn't the answer. If we want the men in blue on Monday Night Footbal I suggest we write a motivating letter to the defense suggesting they all take Dunta Robinson's attitude of laying in beautiful vicious hits and going out of their way to make "hit of the week" type highlight reels on ESPN. Deny offensives points. Refuse to give marquis running back big yard games, light up receivers like Christmas trees on even the shortest receptions. Let them know that we the fans would LOVE to see this, we're behind them 100% and that we believe in them and get as many signatures as possible on it.
Bear in mind this is only the 6th season of Texan football. Many see us as being an expansion team and they're still earning respect. I believe one of the best ways to earn a man's respect is to put him on his back.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008   #51
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 128 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

He!! No. Facts are facts and the fact is at this point nobody in the country wants to watch our team play but us!
When someone steps up could be Mario, AJ, Schaub or a someone out of the backfield and getthe attention they deserve for great play on the field. At the same time being surrounded by a team that does not play an ugly game, false starts, dropped passes, fumbles etc we will ge the airtime we deserve.

That said I think we are on our way if we can protect Schaub. A Gibbs wil help provide a runnung game like we have never seen here in Houston, which will take pressure of the passing game and help keep the defense off the field and well rested.

Support our troops
Htownsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008   #52
KTOWN

Rep Power: 0 KTOWN seems to be losing the respect of his peers

Texans should get a monday night game. No question. I'd go Titans at Cows. It would be a great atmosphere for MNF.
KTOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008   #53
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 131624 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not expecting one as I don't see us as a team that has any National interest...not yet anyway.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008   #54
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I'm not expecting one as I don't see us as a team that has any National interest...not yet anyway.
I think we might if it is against a team that does have National Interest. Maybe Indy, Pitt, GB(if it is the first home game without Favre), Minne(team on the rise with AD), or Denver(teacher vs Student round 2)

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008   #55
ObsiWan
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I'm with you.

And its not personal against the Texans. Its business.

Networks need to do their best to guarantee their sponsors the biggest possible nationwide audience. We're not a team that has a nationwide following. And we have no drama-filled "hooks" they can use to "sell" us.
no drama queens
no pretty boy QBs dating supermodels
no quirky owner always in the news
no over-hyped "face-of-the-franchise super star"
no splashy, over-the-top, over-paid F/A signings

we're just building a good, solid football team that will soon be in the playoff hunt
and that's just fine with me.
Old 04-05-2008   #56
KTOWN

I think the lack of national attention might have more to do with never finishing above .500 thing more than the reasons listed above. Finishing last in your division never helps. If you want attention you should maybe.... win.
Old 04-05-2008   #57
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 18132 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTOWN View Post
I think the lack of national attention might have more to do with never finishing above .500 thing more than the reasons listed above. Finishing last in your division never helps. If you want attention you should maybe.... win.
They didn't in '04, when the Titans were fourth.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008   #58
KTOWN

True. We had a couple of rough years in there. It was not pretty.
Old 04-05-2008   #59
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

F monday night football if they dont want us, I enjoy football on sundays anyway....

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008   #60
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

This thread really got off on the wrong foot when it said "Year after year, the Texans have been disrespected". I love this team, but if you feel like the past performance (and management and coaching) have warranted much in the way of respect, all I can say is "C'mon".

Two things that I think look absolutely horrible from a fanbase are playing the:
  • "We do not get the respect we deserve" card
  • "We would have won the game if the refs/umpires hadn't stolen it from us" card
Think about it - what's your response when you read either one of those comments on someone else's MB?

As to a Monday Night game, I think there's a good chance we'll get one in '08, and Possum Holler makes the most sense to me in terms of compelling matchups. We've got an exciting offense with one of the best WR's in the league, and youth in most other places. We're also capable of big plays (see the "almost" comeback win last year vs. the Titans), although we've also been capable of stinking up the joint too (See first three quarters of same game last year). I think on the defensive side, they can play up DeMeco big time, and Mario will have some national interest without VY, but if they can promote a head-to-head battle, I think that would definitely generate some ratings outside of H-town and Tennessee.

I still think we may be a year away from a Sunday Night game - that's the premier game now. If I'm not mistaken, NBC gets first choice over ESPN, and that's also the game with the flex-option later in the season. Keep in mind that if the upper-end of the Texans expectations are met, and we're playing compelling games late in the season, we can still get "flexed" into a SN game.
ChampionTexan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read