Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 04-04-2008   #1
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Oilers McFarlane Figures (And where's my Mario Williams?)

I was digging through ebay like I usually do and looking for things Oiler related. I don't know why I was doing this but lately I've found myself kind of nostalgic and so I was looking to see if anyone had made a good Earl Campbell custom McFarlane figure. I used to look for these all the time but haven't thought about them in a long time so I was surprised to find that they actually make one now in their "Legends Series 3" assortment. I went ahead and bought mine and I still plan to get a white jersey variant but they seem pretty plentiful at the moment so no hurry. This got me interested in looking at who they have coming out in the next group of players and lo and behold it looks like we're going to get a Warren Moon in the Legends Series 4. Here are some pictures of these two figures (Campbell and Moon) and here's what I want to know

How come I don't have a Mario Williams figure yet? For that matter how come I don't have an Andre Johnson figure? In my opinion the Texans have about three current players who might merit a McFarlane figure. Andre Johnson is an obvious one due to his Pro Bowls and his high profile. He's basically the biggest "star" on our team in my opinion. Then I'd say Mario Williams should have one. He's "achieved" now. Reggie Bush has one and he hasn't achieved jack squat. Vince Young has one and he is at best ordinary. Hell, Matt Leinart has one I believe. Finally with DeMeco Ryans finally getting Pro Bowl nods he might be a potential target for a figure. He probably needs another trip or two but I think he's easily "worthy" of one.

David Carr got one but then many (initially) highly regarded rookies get one, particularly QB's so that's no big deal. I'd like to find some decals to change the name on my Carr figures to "SCHAUB".
Old 04-04-2008   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 122990 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Oilers McFarlane Figures (And where's my Mario Williams?)

nice ones herv.

don't want the thread to derail but this one cracked me up

esp after some "issues" last season
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2651563
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008   #3
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 122990 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.toysrus.com/search/index....56370&view=all

geeze toys r us

no Texans

cedrick benson has one
lost series -sawyer
Old 04-04-2008   #4
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a David Carr McFarlane

I also have Jim Brown, Troy Aikman, and Tom Brady one.

For baseball I have Biggio, Berkman, Clemens, Pettitte, and Torii Hunter.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 375285 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice find, Herv!

I'll definitely buy the Earl one...not sure about Moon the Choker, tho'

I ended up with two Carr ones, a battle red and a steel blue. I've thought about using my model paints to put Schaub on them, but he needs to prove he's the man before I go through the trouble.

In 100% agreement with making ones for AJ, DeMeco, and Mario.
Old 04-04-2008   #6
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Nice find, Herv!

I'll definitely buy the Earl one...not sure about Moon the Choker, tho'

I ended up with two Carr ones, a battle red and a steel blue. I've thought about using my model paints to put Schaub on them, but he needs to prove he's the man before I go through the trouble.

In 100% agreement with making ones for AJ, DeMeco, and Mario.
I figure changing them to say SCHAUB is worth the trouble. We now know what kind of person DC is so just getting his name off my stuff makes it a good move. I'm going to track the decals down. They're out there and when I find them I'll let you know.

I turned a Joey Harrington figure into a halfway passable Dan Pastorini custom at one time. I eventually decided it wasn't good enough and pitched it but if they crank out these Warren Moon figures I think I'll give it another shot using parts of a Moon and a Harrington as a base. So far the biggest impediment to making custom Oiler and Texan figures has been a lack of sufficient base figures to work off of. With existing Oiler players and helmets out there I think it's possible to start cranking out some good customs. I want to do a Ray Childress and a Sean Jones as well as some older ones. I'd really like a custom pair with Bingham and Brazile. That would be sweet.
Old 04-04-2008   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 375285 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I figure changing them to say SCHAUB is worth the trouble. We now know what kind of person DC is so just getting his name off my stuff makes it a good move. I'm going to track the decals down. They're out there and when I find them I'll let you know.
Very good point.

btw, j/k about the "Moon the Choker" blast. I'll buy one to remember the '90's Oilers teams, since that was the last time we had a winning pro football season around these parts. until 2008, of course!
Old 04-04-2008   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Ve

btw, j/k about the "Moon the Choker" blast.
Why?? I enjoyed watching Moon as much as anyone (I thought he threw the prettiest ball ever), but the body of work as it relates to his playoff record speaks volumes..

Joking aside, I'm astonished by the likeness that the figures have... Great detail...
Old 04-04-2008   #9
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 147126 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Why?? I enjoyed watching Moon as much as anyone (I thought he threw the prettiest ball ever), but the body of work as it relates to his playoff record speaks volumes..

Joking aside, I'm astonished by the likeness that the figures have... Great detail...
I agree for the most part. Although, I think they underestimated the actual size of Earl's thighs. IIRC, they measured 36" around.

Other than that they look really sweet.
Old 04-04-2008   #10
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I agree for the most part. Although, I think they underestimated the actual size of Earl's thighs. IIRC, they measured 36" around.

Other than that they look really sweet.
I think you're right... 36" stands out in my mind's eye.
Old 04-04-2008   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Quote:

It's true, Moon choked in the big games. He did not get into the HOF on being incredibly clutch. He got in on sheer weight of statistics. I'll get his figure too and probably both home and away versions but I'm not going to delude myself into thinking that he was money in crunch time or anything. I have always thought that Warren Moon was potentially the most perfect example of a player with an overwhelming amount of talent but a "pressure leak" in his game.

The likeness that you get with these figures is a real high point to me. In the best examples they don't just nail the facial features, they get the body language down perfectly. Earl is a good example of that as is Moon though I think McFarlane figures tend to get lazy with some of the QB's. Many of them are very generic looking poses IMO. The David Carr figure they did was like that. This Moon figure and a Steve McNair figure that they did were very distinctive I thought. They've always done a good job with Favre too. His figures always seem to capture him well.
Old 04-04-2008   #12
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:

This is true...I was just trying to be niiiiiiice to our nostalgia.

Moon was never a clutch QB, but that pretty much goes for the whole chuck and duck team at the time. I don't blame him for the defense going limp and blowing a 33 point lead, that's for sure! I still despise the prevent to this day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I thought the exact same thing when checking out the Earl figure. It's not even close to the massiveness that was Earl's thighs. I remember being a kid and thinking that one of his legs was like two of me put together. Pure power.
Old 04-04-2008   #13
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 78716 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Thats not completely fair. Its not like Moon went out and let Buffalo score 42 straight points. Or the fact that we played an offensive system that did not have any TE sets, rarely used the RB and was horrible as an out door team in December.

He did win three or four Grey cups before coming to the NFL.

I will tell you this much, I will take him and all of those playoff losses over the product that we have watched for the last six years.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008   #14
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 265163 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I know nothing of these McFarlane figures, but you may be able to scavenge some decent decals from some basic plastic model kits (ie, Revell planes and ships and such).
Old 04-05-2008   #15
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I know nothing of these McFarlane figures, but you may be able to scavenge some decent decals from some basic plastic model kits (ie, Revell planes and ships and such).
It's gotten so much cooler than that kind of stuff now. I used to build models for years and I went through airplanes, tanks, ships, you name it. I always had a ton of unused decals and used to order custom decals to make specific airplanes or other vehicles. Now you just print them!

I was looking online and found that you just order "decal paper" and then print what you want on it, spray over it with a aerosol "sealer" so the ink from your printer doesn't run when it hits the water, and make your own decals. People create sets of decals to do custom players and then post them online so anyone can download them. They also make a decal paper for color laser printers that you don't even have to seal since the toner isn't water based. More expensive though.

I'm going to start rounding up some figures to begin making custom figures. I think my first attempt is going to be an AJ because dang it, we need an AJ figure! Then once I get a few more Oilers figures I'm going to start making some of my favorites. Robert Brazile and Kenny Burroughs come to mind. So does Billy "White Shoes" Johnson.
Old 04-07-2008   #16
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135371 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Moon was great.

The problem with that Oilers team was bad coaching decisions.

Nothing to do with Moon.
Old 07-03-2009   #17
Wolf
100% Texan

is this it?

Quote:
These were released in 2008 by Gracelyn Replays Inc . , These are from Series 4. Gracelyn has a licence agreement with the NFL and have created a fully detailed action figure with 14 points of articulation . This figure measures about 5" tall and is similar to a G.I.Joe figure " slightly Larger " . Which makes the posable for kids . Also Series 3 Football is still avalible and limited quanitys of Series 2 .

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gracelyn-Re-Play...US:101?rvr_id=
http://cgi.ebay.com/NFl-Re-Plays-Fig...US:101?rvr_id=
Old 07-03-2009   #18
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35954 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Nope, that's not a McFarlane.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009   #19
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Thats not completely fair. Its not like Moon went out and let Buffalo score 42 straight points. Or the fact that we played an offensive system that did not have any TE sets, rarely used the RB and was horrible as an out door team in December.

He did win three or four Grey cups before coming to the NFL.

I will tell you this much, I will take him and all of those playoff losses over the product that we have watched for the last six years.
It is completely fair. We're not just talking about Buffalo here. What about Denver? KC? 7 consecutive years of playoff futility??

The Buffalo debacle isn't completely on Moon because that was a total team meltdown. However, a team reflects its leader and Moon was the leader (and by many accounts, not a good one).

BTW, it was 5 consecutive Gray Cups.
Old 07-04-2009   #20
Lucky

Rep Power: 181825 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

It's a nice figure. But, Earl usually carried the ball in one hand. Like a loaf of bread. And his thighs would need to be about twice as large, to be proportional.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read