Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2004   #1
Doom Capers
Veteran
 
Doom Capers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 31
Posts: 434
Rep Power: 11 Doom Capers is ridin' the pine
Default What I don't understand

Our team has the potential to put a hurting on a lot of teams. Carson Palmer can go out and throw for almost 400 yards against the Ravens and beat them. While Carr throws for 150 some which 125 goes to Johnson against the Jets, who are tough but not as much as the Ravens. The other week the Bengals scored 58 points in a game or something. I could never imagine us scoring that many TD's in a game. We are just as talented as the Bengals. There are tons of players and teams that our outplaying us and I can't understand why. We can't use this we have been a team for 3 years b.s. because something is just not clicking.
Doom Capers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004   #2
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame
 
TexansTrueFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Huntsville Tx
Age: 29
Posts: 2,600
Rep Power: 13 TexansTrueFan is a team player
Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan
Default

looking for excuses from fans that have little to actually do with the organization ??? well we could blame the coaches,,,carr,,,,the o-line,,,maybe the defense,,,,even our GM if we really wanna look deep into it. The fact of the matter is we are a 3rd year team and for anyone who was expecting a winning season just set their self up for a let down.

Rome was not built in a day,,,,,,brick by brick
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004   #3
WWJD
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,260
Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Maybe there is no easy answer...I just think each team has a certain dynamic to it.

I think the Texans are on the cusp on being a very good team. They have some holes to fill and some good offseason moves will help there.

They are first and foremost a running team and when that is not working it's difficult for them. That I blame on O Line work and the RB's being injury prone.


I do agree that David sometime tries to force things but so do most QB's. Favre is notorious for that.

I did hear Peyton Manning say something interesting yesterday after their game. He said that all the work he and his receivers did in the offseason..April, May....they made time to work together and now thru all that work you see the results.

Perhaps David and some of his receivers need to do that if they could work it out. It would be on their own time but it might be just a little something that could help. I know these are family men and maybe some of these guys don't even live here during the offseason but well maybe the extra work and study would just be an extra piece to the puzzle.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004   #4
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity
 
Errant Hothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Keller, Tx
Age: 36
Posts: 9,953
Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

We are not as talented as teh Bengals, teh Lions, the Jets, the Cheifs, or just about any other NFL team. Any why? Because we've had three drafts, three years of FA, and na dover the last two and a half seasons had played a bunch of rookies. DO we have some potential NFL stars? YEs (AJ and D-Rob being the best two) Do we have any real depth, at any position?

A question to all of those we thought/think we can beat a playoff team? How many of our starters would start for any of the potential AFC Playoff teams? (NE, Pitt, SD, Indy, NY, Denver, Balt, et al)
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004   #5
Texas_Heat
Veteran
 
Texas_Heat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: IN TEXAN HELL
Posts: 377
Rep Power: 0 Texas_Heat is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
looking for excuses from fans that have little to actually do with the organization ??? well we could blame the coaches,,,carr,,,,the o-line,,,maybe the defense,,,,even our GM if we really wanna look deep into it. The fact of the matter is we are a 3rd year team and for anyone who was expecting a winning season just set their self up for a let down.

Rome was not built in a day,,,,,,brick by brick


That their only a 3rd year team is weak other teams have turn their teams around in a year the only ones that said its only been three years are we’re still young are teams like the Saints, Cardinals and other badly run teams.
Texas_Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator
 
infantrycak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 47
Posts: 46,011
Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Heat
That their only a 3rd year team is weak other teams have turn their teams around in a year the only ones that said its only been three years are we’re still young are teams like the Saints, Cardinals and other badly run teams.
Being a 3rd year team is completely different than turning around an established team in 1-3 years. An established team has had years of drafts to gain not just starters but quality depth. In addition, the team has made its own contracts with its players rather than taking on a bunch of contracts negotiated by teams that made players available in an expansion draft. Is being in the 3rd year of existence a total get out of jail card--nope, but it is a consideration just like in evaluating a RB you have to look at the OL and vice versa.
__________________
The Art of War
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 9,816
Rep Power: 13331 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Even the stupid announcers said that by looking at the Texans you still get a feel that things are being done right with this team. I think they felt we were short changed alot in this game.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-06-2004   #8
georgewashington
Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Age: 38
Posts: 129
Rep Power: 10 georgewashington is ridin' the pine
Default

Being a third year team is not a very good excuse. I know it means the team hasnt had the chance to draft depth, get good contracts for veterans, etc. but seriously. Three years is plenty of time to try and get quality veterans. Thats plenty of time to draft three years worth of rookies to add some depth. That is plenty of time for a Franchise QB to develop since he has started the whole time. There are no excuses for Carr making horrible passes, and not checking down on receivers. He should have been doing that in college, and this is his third year in the NFL. Injuries have hurt the defense, especially the line quite a bit, but they are starting to get better, especially Payne. A draft of a DT will add much to their status. I think the defense will be tough next year. Babin will have had time to mature and adjust, Peek should be able to play full time, Sharper will stay the same, and hopefully wong will move inside and allow us to also draft a MLB early in the draft this season to develop. The DBs will be better with Earl and Robinson having playing time. We could get another shutdown corner in the draft to solidify behind Glenn. The Oline will have a season of zone blocking for the running game, maybe a draft pick high if there is a good Olineman available. Adding a running back maybe like Lamont Jordan will give the running game a new dimension. Thats really about four changes that can easily be addressed. While other teams have more talent, this team has some and can add to it very easily this offseason if they make the right moves. I think that more than anything this team is young in terms of maturity and development as a TEAM. They are getting use to playing together. Next season they will be much improved. I def. think they will be in the post season.
georgewashington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004   #9
tex
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 55
Posts: 183
Rep Power: 11 tex is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
The fact of the matter is we are a 3rd year team and for anyone who was expecting a winning season just set their self up for a let down.
AMEN BROTHER
tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004   #10
HJam72
Hall of Fame
 
HJam72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Over here.
Age: 41
Posts: 11,514
Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking

Next year we'll win the Super Bowl!
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004   #11
txhoosier
Veteran
 
txhoosier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: I live where Gilley's USED to be
Age: 43
Posts: 138
Rep Power: 10 txhoosier is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD
Maybe there is no easy answer...I just think each team has a certain dynamic to it.

I think the Texans are on the cusp on being a very good team. They have some holes to fill and some good offseason moves will help there.

They are first and foremost a running team and when that is not working it's difficult for them. That I blame on O Line work and the RB's being injury prone.


I do agree that David sometime tries to force things but so do most QB's. Favre is notorious for that.

I did hear Peyton Manning say something interesting yesterday after their game. He said that all the work he and his receivers did in the offseason..April, May....they made time to work together and now thru all that work you see the results.

Perhaps David and some of his receivers need to do that if they could work it out. It would be on their own time but it might be just a little something that could help. I know these are family men and maybe some of these guys don't even live here during the offseason but well maybe the extra work and study would just be an extra piece to the puzzle.
I like the idea of Carr and the receivers working in the offseason. Sure they are family men, but we aren't talking about 7 days a week, 12 hours a day...we are talking a few hours/day about 3-4 days a week, with family get-togethers, where they share ideas, silent signals, etc...

A team with the talent that the T's have needs to get it together mentally...sometimes that reflects on the coaching, but I think that the O-line needs to really band together as well. A few years ago, everywhere Manning went, the O-line led him. Bathroom, speaking engagements, autograph signings, etc...they protected him everywhere as a show of force, and look at them today. They are one of the better O-lines in the league. (Edge takes pretty good care of them, too...nice gifts that cost $1 for every yard gained in the game. this week's gift will be #105...a couple weeks ago it was over $200.)
__________________
D-CAF!!! D-CAF!!!
txhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004   #12
ATX
Hall of Fame
 
ATX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Austin
Age: 34
Posts: 9,563
Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

well atleast we're not the browns. therir qb of the future, couch, turned out to be a joke. and then to top it off, the once browns, now ravens won a superbowl, while our ex oilers lost. they really have to be mad, i mean i think we're a better team than the browns and they have a few years on us. not to mention winslow getting hurt this year. man they sure have some luck.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004   #13
aj.
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,769
Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

The new Browns are my benchmark for the Texans through year four (9-7 record/playoffs in 2002). If they can do it in four years we should be able to do it in four years.

They are not my benchmark for the Texans for years five and beyond.

Last edited by aj.; 12-07-2004 at 06:23 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004   #14
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame
 
TexansTrueFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Huntsville Tx
Age: 29
Posts: 2,600
Rep Power: 13 TexansTrueFan is a team player
Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgewashington
Being a third year team is not a very good excuse. I know it means the team hasnt had the chance to draft depth, get good contracts for veterans, etc. but seriously. Three years is plenty of time to try and get quality veterans. Thats plenty of time to draft three years worth of rookies to add some depth. That is plenty of time for a Franchise QB to develop since he has started the whole time. There are no excuses for Carr making horrible passes, and not checking down on receivers. He should have been doing that in college, and this is his third year in the NFL. Injuries have hurt the defense, especially the line quite a bit, but they are starting to get better, especially Payne. A draft of a DT will add much to their status. I think the defense will be tough next year. Babin will have had time to mature and adjust, Peek should be able to play full time, Sharper will stay the same, and hopefully wong will move inside and allow us to also draft a MLB early in the draft this season to develop. The DBs will be better with Earl and Robinson having playing time. We could get another shutdown corner in the draft to solidify behind Glenn. The Oline will have a season of zone blocking for the running game, maybe a draft pick high if there is a good Olineman available. Adding a running back maybe like Lamont Jordan will give the running game a new dimension. Thats really about four changes that can easily be addressed. While other teams have more talent, this team has some and can add to it very easily this offseason if they make the right moves. I think that more than anything this team is young in terms of maturity and development as a TEAM. They are getting use to playing together. Next season they will be much improved. I def. think they will be in the post season.

HAHA george maybe thats the point, they dont want to get veterans to just fill in temp. , they are trying to put young talent around this team that could play for us for years. Capers learned his lesson about filling your roster up with veterans in Carolina. It might seem like a slow process building this team but the way they are doing it will help the team out in the long run.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004   #15
txhoosier
Veteran
 
txhoosier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: I live where Gilley's USED to be
Age: 43
Posts: 138
Rep Power: 10 txhoosier is ridin' the pine
Default

Good article that mentions the offseason work of Manning and company...

http://www.indystar.com/articles/1/200320-8811-106.html
__________________
D-CAF!!! D-CAF!!!
txhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004   #16
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame
 
TexansTrueFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Huntsville Tx
Age: 29
Posts: 2,600
Rep Power: 13 TexansTrueFan is a team player
Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan
Default

maybe its just me but i think a lot of you had to high of expectations this season. This team has a good foundation, we have drafted many key players, and have a organization dedicated to making this a Play-off caliber team. (Hard to get check mate on the first 3 moves, you put the pieces in place than attack.)
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian
 
Double Barrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Onward, Upward, and back into the Trees
Section: Gridiron, Tx
Age: 47
Posts: 30,827
Rep Power: 313912 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
maybe its just me but i think a lot of you had to high of expectations this season. This team has a good foundation, we have drafted many key players, and have a organization dedicated to making this a Play-off caliber team. (Hard to get check mate on the first 3 moves, you put the pieces in place than attack.)
I agree 100%

It is the difference of choosing your perspective: realistic vs. optimistic. Sometime people become overly optimistic to the point of delusional, then get upset when their bubble is burst by reality.

There are a dozen or more NFL teams out there with a lot more history behind them that would give anything to be in the position the Texans are in right now.

Just wait, next year is our breakout year.
__________________
"Football is only a diversion." ~ HOUSTON TEXANS
Double Barrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004   #18
bckey
Hall of Fame
 
bckey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 53
Posts: 2,331
Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
I agree 100%

It is the difference of choosing your perspective: realistic vs. optimistic. Sometime people become overly optimistic to the point of delusional, then get upset when their bubble is burst by reality.

There are a dozen or more NFL teams out there with a lot more history behind them that would give anything to be in the position the Texans are in right now.

Just wait, next year is our breakout year.

Hey, that sounds like the Astros chant at the end of every season.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger