Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-03-2008   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 201896 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jamaal Charles 1st round

The MB is slowing down & I want your thoughts. It appears a good chance exists that the hot players will be gone by 18. Williams & Stewart may be there but could be gone as will Harvey and most CBs. If no trades are offered do we reach for a guy that may be avail in 2nd? Like Sam Baker, Cason, Forte or Collins? Or if we have to go at 18 and the guys we have all discussed repeatedly are gone, do we look at Charles? Normally not one I'd take at # 18 but should be perfect Rb for ZBS especially if Brown is what we think he is.

As it is for now we have no 2nd. Remember, no one will trade and there are CBs and LTs and RBs that may be avail in 3rd, 4th and 5th.

1. Charles RB that should mesh well with Brown and even Green.
3. Tony Hills or Duane Brown either could be solid LT for years but may not be available at our selection.
4. Moulden or Tyvon Branch CB may not start immediately but soon. Solid pick

I look at top 25 on NFL Draft Big Board and try to re-assure myself we will get a need based player at #18. Someone sooth my jitters as I'm beginning to lose sleep.
Old 04-03-2008   #2
Polo

Default Re: Jamaal Charles 1st round

It's kinda surreal seeing people talk about Tony...
Old 04-03-2008   #3
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
It's kinda surreal seeing people talk about Tony...
Did you play with him?
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #4
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

So if the consensus top players (Chris Long, Vernon Gholston, Glenn Dorsey, Sedrick Ellis, Darren McFadden and Jake Long: 6 players) are gone;
the next few best players (Rashard Mendenhall, Ryan Clady, Chris Williams, Branden Albert: 4 players),
the top Corners, depending on preferences (Leodis McKelvin, Mike Jenkins, Dominic Rodgers-Cromartie: 3 players)
some more top players, (Jonathan Stewart, Keith Rivers, Derrick Harvey, and I'd have to assume Matt Ryan gets picked somewhere before us with some teams NEEDing QB: 4 players) that's a total of 17 players and as I see probably worst case scenario for us.

I think we'd be forced to look at BPA which would probably be a WR- I think we're looking good at WR but they may look at a top guy- just sayin'

I don't see a pass rushing DE (maybe Calais Campbell?), or stud OLB, or any stud LT or OL (Otah just may not fit our team but he's available or replace him and Matt Ryan since we won't pick Ryan). No stud RB.

I really like Antoine Cason would like that pick with these guys off the board, look at Reggie Smith or Brandon Flowers..Aqib Talib? Kenny Phillips? RB-wise: Felix Jones, Jamaal Charles, Matt Forte, Ray Rice, Chris Johnson... i couldn't bring myself to select ANY of these RB's at #18.

Out of this 'worst case scenario': I'd focus on Calais Campbell-DE, Antoine Cason-CB, Kenny Phillips-our FS, Reggie Smith-CB/FS or Brandon Flowers-CB, or Aqib Talib-CB and if the Smith/Kubiak really don't like these guys we may actually look for a "playmaker" (gulp-D.Jackson) or a WR like Kelly, Thomas, Sweed??

I like Kevin Smith as a RB in the 3rd that we have a shot at as Rice/Forte/Charles will not fall that far. Duane Browns stock seems to be going up so I could see him being gone before our pick in the 3rd-otherwise solid pick up.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #5
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Charles is a reach at #18.

I really like him, but I wouldn't be too happy if we grabbed him there. There are better players at need positions on the board.
Old 04-03-2008   #6
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Did you play with him?
With and against.

Against him in middle school, with him in high school. I'm happy for him.
Old 04-03-2008   #7
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

At 18, no matter what happens, we're going to get a good player that we can use.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-03-2008   #8
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
With and against.

Yea he seems like a good kid.

I'm always happy to see another local kid succeed.
Old 04-03-2008   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 201896 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
So if the consensus top players (Chris Long, Vernon Gholston, Glenn Dorsey, Sedrick Ellis, Darren McFadden and Jake Long: 6 players) are gone;
the next few best players (Rashard Mendenhall, Ryan Clady, Chris Williams, Branden Albert: 4 players),
the top Corners, depending on preferences (Leodis McKelvin, Mike Jenkins, Dominic Rodgers-Cromartie: 3 players)
some more top players, (Jonathan Stewart, Keith Rivers, Derrick Harvey, and I'd have to assume Matt Ryan gets picked somewhere before us with some teams NEEDing QB: 4 players) that's a total of 17 players and as I see probably worst case scenario for us.

I think we'd be forced to look at BPA which would probably be a WR- I think we're looking good at WR but they may look at a top guy- just sayin'

I don't see a pass rushing DE (maybe Calais Campbell?), or stud OLB, or any stud LT or OL (Otah just may not fit our team but he's available or replace him and Matt Ryan since we won't pick Ryan). No stud RB.

I really like Antoine Cason would like that pick with these guys off the board, look at Reggie Smith or Brandon Flowers..Aqib Talib? Kenny Phillips? RB-wise: Felix Jones, Jamaal Charles, Matt Forte, Ray Rice, Chris Johnson... i couldn't bring myself to select ANY of these RB's at #18.

Out of this 'worst case scenario': I'd focus on Calais Campbell-DE, Antoine Cason-CB, Kenny Phillips-our FS, Reggie Smith-CB/FS or Brandon Flowers-CB, or Aqib Talib-CB and if the Smith/Kubiak really don't like these guys we may actually look for a "playmaker" (gulp-D.Jackson) or a WR like Kelly, Thomas, Sweed??

I like Kevin Smith as a RB in the 3rd that we have a shot at as Rice/Forte/Charles will not fall that far. Duane Browns stock seems to be going up so I could see him being gone before our pick in the 3rd-otherwise solid pick up.
OMT you nailed exactly what my thoughts were! I see Cason and Talib as probable starters eventually and maybe not a huge reach as someone else posted on another thread "If you need a guy that is BPA go for it". Forte for example is really impressing and we could use him but at 18?
Old 04-03-2008   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Charles is a reach at #18.

I really like him, but I wouldn't be too happy if we grabbed him there. There are better players at need positions on the board.
Ok but who are those better player you would reach down for if not Charles?
Old 04-03-2008   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
At 18, no matter what happens, we're going to get a good player that we can use.
Give me 2-3 players so I can calm my nerves. I mean it's not a panic attack just slow creeping dread I can't shake loose from. Guess I could read a Stephen King novel to shed the creepy feeling?
Old 04-03-2008   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post

Another thought, say it breaks down as you have identified. Dallas knows we want an RB and might select Felix Jones which some mocks have Dallas picking, would Dallas feel need to trade up? Not getting McFadden or Jones would it bother Arkansas alumni JJ? If they traded above us for Jones that could force one of the top 17 down to us. Or would Dallas still go WR and then get a 2nd tiered back? I think I saw a mock recently with Dallas taking Charles with second pick first round.
Old 04-03-2008   #13
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
With and against.

Mack Brown really liked the kid and took good care of him at UT during some really tough injuries. I give MB a lot of credit for the class he shows his recruits even when things dont pan out.
Old 04-03-2008   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Give me 2-3 players so I can calm my nerves. I mean it's not a panic attack just slow creeping dread I can't shake loose from. Guess I could read a Stephen King novel to shed the creepy feeling?
Keith Rivers may fall to us. A good CB like Jenkins, Cason, or Talib will be there. Quinton Groves, Merling, or Calais Campbell would be good DE's who are probably going to be there. Branden Albert will probably be there and might be someone we can groom for that LT spot.

The bottom line is I trust Smithiak to find good players that are going to help the team regardless of the round.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #15
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Jamaal, but just do not see value for the Texans in drafting him until the fourth. I still would be surprised to see him drafted in first or second.
Old 04-03-2008   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I like Jamaal, but just do not see value for the Texans in drafting him until the fourth. I still would be surprised to see him drafted in first or second.
there are some real interesting gamebreakers in this draft & Jamaal is one of them. to me he looks like a natural slot receiver. he is a great fit for the Texans zbs. I like Chris Johnson too in similar role. both are going somewhere in the 2nd. doubtfull to the 3rd. no way 4th.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #17
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Jamaal Charles and 1st Round don't go together. Unless you want the Ted Ginn Jr. reaction by the fans.
Old 04-03-2008   #18
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
both are going somewhere in the 2nd. doubtfull to the 3rd. no way 4th.
With all the RB's coming out I'd say it's very possible one, if not both,will fall to the third...
Old 04-04-2008   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
Jamaal Charles and 1st Round don't go together. Unless you want the Ted Ginn Jr. reaction by the fans.
If Brown is what he is supposed to be, I could see Charles getting 70 -75 yds rushing avg/game + 400-500 yds for the season in receptions in the new ZBS. That is definitely first round material. Other backs might do it later in draft but no guarantee we can get one.
Old 04-04-2008   #20
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

I see Felix Jones as a far better prospect, though Charles in the 2nd would be nice.

I would take Slaton in the 4th in a heartbeat. Great ZBS back, with tons of value.

If we can get Hillis, Hester or Schmitt at FB in the 5th, and Charles or Slaton earlier, I could like our running game
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read