Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-19-2004   #41
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
LOL...Dunta just said on abc that his teammates call him Roy.
I heard. He is the only player in the league with 6 INTs and 3 sacks.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004   #42
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess I am just a homer but I cant think of one player drafted ahead of him that I would rather have on this team.

cac
Old 12-19-2004   #43
texansfan88
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee
I guess I am just a homer but I cant think of one player drafted ahead of him that I would rather have on this team.

cac
I can, Roy Williams

Ranking the first round picks
1) Roy Williams, Lions
2) Dunta Robinson, Houston
3) Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh (gets help from defense a lot)
4) Jonathon Vilma, NY Jets
5) Tommie Harris, Chicago
6) Vince Wilfork, Patriots
7) Sean Taylor, Redskins
8) Robert Gallery, Oakland
9) Larry Fitzgerald, Arizona
10) D.J. Williams, Denver
11) Kenechi Udeze, Vikings
12) Steven Jackson, Rams
13) Deangelo Hall, Falcons
14) Lee Evans, Buffalo
15) Eli Manning, Giants
16) Reggie Williams, Jacksonville
17) Jason Babin, Houston
18) Chris Gamble, Carolina
19) Kevin Jones, Detroit
20) Will Smith, New Orleans
21) Shawn Andrews, Philadelphia
22) Vernon Carey, Miami
23) Ahmad Carroll, Packers
24) Marcus Tubbs, Seattle
25) Rashaun Woods, 49ers
26)
27) Michael Jenkins, Falcons
28) Chris Perry, Bengals
29) Kellen Winslow, Browns (would have been higher if played)
30) Phillip Rivers, Chargers
31) Ben Watson, New England
32) J.P. Losman, Bills

NOTE: WHO AM I MISSING?
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004   #44
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

I'd take D-Rob ahead of Roy. Roy has had nagging injuries this year and since we already have a nice 3 headed monster at WR, I think a excellent corner would be more benifical. Plus, that moved allowed Coleman to move to FS so it helped two positions...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004   #45
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

You're only missing Michael Clayton. He has over 1,000 yards receiving. It's only a couple hundred more than Roy Williams.
Old 12-19-2004   #46
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan88
I can, Roy Williams
Roy Williams!!! You're out of your mind, sure he's good but i dont think you understand how good Duntae has made this defense.

If we didn't have D-ROB coleman would still be playing corner and out for the rest of the year which would really hurt!!!!!! And we would still have two garbage safties!!!! Well i partially take that back Glenn Earl has been doing nice and we all know what Jason Simmons can do (Knock the flying **** out of RB's). But drafting D-Rob got us two postions on the D not just 1.

Oh and not to mention his 76 tackles, 6 Int's, 3 sacks, 2 FF etc... you know the usual...
Old 12-19-2004   #47
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Gamble should be higher in that ranking. He has six interceptions also. Not near as good as Dunta though.
Old 12-20-2004   #48
ComstockLode
Veteran

The problem with corners like offensive linemen, it is very hard to gauge stats. For instance:
1. How many times has a player got beat for a TD....
2. How many times has he had passing interference penalties...
3. How many yards do his receivers average per game against him.
4. Do offenses fear him and change their offense to keep him away from the ball, or are their too many opportunities to make plays?
5. Is he dominant in pass coverage, and QBs are afraid to throw their way?

CBs are judged more on this, then INTs or pass breakups.

For this year alone, If you had a choice of 3 CBs to be on your team... Would Dunta Robinson be on it?
ComstockLode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #49
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

if I had the choice of 3 CBs.. yah Dunta would be on it. He is different from other CBs in that he is a VERY capable CB that doubles as a strong saftey in his blitzing and tackling abilities.

He may be the only CB in the league that has the potential to get in your head like an SS or FS would.

This makes him not only talented.. but versatile. A useful tool.

And I havent seen him get REALLY beat since week 5.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #50
whotex8
Rookie

I voted for DR and think he is superb. One thing kind of bothered me though, or just kinda rubbed me the wrong way and I really just want to say this...hoping I'm wrong. In his interview tonight with Bob Allen on "Inside the Game", he told Bob Allen that he thought he definately deserved to be voted for the Pro-B. I think we all agree.
But, his demeanor seemed on the edge of being arrogant, and Bob Allen (whom I don't always agree with) at one point asked him to "in the future, don't refer to yourself in the 3rd person). I'm a huge fan of DR, but watching him in this interview....he reminded me of self-back-patting players on other teams.
Also, I read game caps on several sites and David C. was quoted saying that "several of the guys on the team said it was too cold and just wanted to go home, but they stuck it out FOR ME"!
Guys....whether it be David Carr, Dunta, etc. Get it right.
I have many years of experience in the corporate world and have always had a problem when a person in leadership refers to anything that refers to "my, mine or doing it for me".
Learn to use "ours, we, and us" instead of "me, I, mine, and myself". I think it is arrogant for people in leadership positions, or otherwise to not know the difference in how to speak, when speaking for or about a "TEAM".
Team...when speaking out...speak as a TEAM MEMBER, not an individual. It comes across wrong. THERE IS NO "I, OR ME" IN TEAM".
It is a Team, whether you win or lose! I seem to hear alot more of "we and us" when the team doesn't do well, but when the really do great.....well..It's all about ME.

Last edited by whotex8; 12-20-2004 at 01:58 AM.
whotex8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #51
TexansCanes
All Pro

Quote:
I voted for DR and think he is superb. One thing kind of bothered me though, or just kinda rubbed me the wrong way and I really just want to say this...hoping I'm wrong. In his interview tonight with Bob Allen on "Inside the Game", he told Bob Allen that he thought he definately deserved to be voted for the Pro-B. I think we all agree.
i'm glad he said something like that. if you want to be a shut down corner in this league you have to have a little swagger. that is something that we don't have, hopefully he will keep that attitude, but not get to extreme. you have to have that confidence that the other team can't even look to your side, that is what a true shut down corner does. i do have a problem with what carr said, hopefully the guys that said that were the offensive linemen so we can have a reason to get rid of them.

Quote:
He may be the only CB in the league that has the potential to get in your head like an SS or FS would.
that might be a bit premature, he has the ability to get to that level, but i wouldn't put him their yet.

Last edited by TexansCanes; 12-20-2004 at 03:17 AM.
TexansCanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #52
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree he isnt there yet. Maybe I should have been more precise but thats what I meant by the Potential to do that. His motor and tackling ability makes him more threatening than your average CB. Once he gets more comfortable out there, if he can start laying down some big hits.... well.. that would just be sweet hehe.
Old 12-20-2004   #53
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

Yeah, I'm not a big dunta fan, but this kid is looking very, very good.

did you hear tom jackson give him some props on nfl primetime? he said "theres got to be some pro bowl consideration here"

he plays with a lot of heart, and is a big hitter. You gotta watch out tho, Jason David (referred to by colts fans as "scrappy") is coming for that rookie INT crown
Youngstown Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004   #54
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz
Default Dunta getting robbed

AFC pro-bowl roster Maybe he will get picked as an alternate.

Tory Jmaes has One more int, but Drob has 53 solo tackles to James' 39 and Drob has 3 sacks where James has 0. I have not watched Tory James this year, but I have a hard time thinking he did better than Drob this year.
Old 12-23-2004   #55
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

James is a nine year vet with a good rep. Dunta is a rookie. Right or wrong, that makes a difference. Give Aaron Glenn Dunta's numbers and he probably goes. Jeremiah Trotter is another guy whose performance in prior years influenced his selection this year IMO. I don't think Dunta got robbed necessarily but he'll be there next year if he keeps it up. The good thing is that this will (should) give him the incentive to keep working hard.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004   #56
Grid
Hall of Fame

I just sent my second email to Mike & Mike in the morning. They are talking about the pro bowl and who got snubbed, and said to email them with who you think got snubbed and who he should replace on the team.

Dunta is getting ignored and that aint right.. the kid can flat out play and has been one of, if not THE best CB in the AFC.
Old 12-23-2004   #57
Cheroqui
Veteran

Did he! He should have at least been the third. I'm mad about that one. Do you mean to tell me that because he's a rookie he can't go? It's by numbers and performance isn't it? I wonder if Ben Roethlisberger would go if his numbers were in line with the 3 QB's that are going?
Old 12-23-2004   #58
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 106609 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Some Recognition

Some people did notice what Dunta did this season:

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8027113

Should be an alternate though
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004   #59
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's by numbers and performance isn't it?
No it isn't. Just ask the 2003 Jamie Sharper. It's largely a popularity contest. His numbers certainly warranted a trip to Hawaii. Being a rookie on a 6-8 team did not help his name recognition. Keep it up Dunta and you will become a regular to Hawaii.
Old 12-23-2004   #60
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
There's a lot that goes on in the secondary that you can't see on TV. Aaron had a good game today too and maybe the rook will actually help Aaron raise his game a bit.
God if I see him pimp himself for having tickets in the endzone one more time I'm going to kill myself. There is a lot of things of TV that you don't pick up right away while watching a live game too. Enough of beating your chest that you have the best view and that no one can possibley see what you see. I can watch my TVO and slow motion plays all day if I want and pretty much capture everyone on the field. Don't go telling me I can't see Babin or DRob or Glenn on each play.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read