Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-03-2008   #21
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Weaver Made Financial Decision...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdude730 View Post
but when you designate a vet as a june 1st cut, how many seasons do they have to be in?
There isn't a minimum season requirement.
Old 04-03-2008   #22
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
There isn't a minimum season requirement.
thanks

now lets hope he produces a little more on the field. he is getting paid for results - not effort
Old 04-03-2008   #23
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 237388 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Weaver was touted as being a very cerebral player, a guy who is smart and well-spoken. It was one of the big perks of signing him away from Baltimore. Would have been nice for him to say what he said, but then to say that he "loves the Texans, the fans, and things are great here.."

I don't have the full article, but it opened up a few thoughts I have on team hoppers. Craig Biggio is a guy I adore because he stuck around. I have to imagine that a lot of other teams had tried to sign him away. Granted, he was being paid well to stay here..but still, he could have gone to George Steinbrenner and probably would have been a Yankee if he wanted to.

Most of my thoughts on what Weaver says is about the general trend, and so I probably did extend or project my thoughts of the topic onto Weaver.
This is America. Capitalism Rules! Are you mad at the guy for taking advantage of the free market system?? Are you some kinda Commie?

ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #24
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I would think you have to take into account that contracts in the NFL aren't gauranteed like they are in MLB or NBA. The gauranteed money comes from signing bonus and/or money that explicitly makes it gauranteed. I'm not that knowledgeable on this like some other members. I can't blame a guy for getting all he can get. He can be injured at any time and his career be over. He can also be cut at any time and a HUGE portion of his contract be null and void. Teams show very little loyalty these days, also. They watch the bottom line like a hawk. IMO, it would behoove players to do the same. Beside, just because a player WANTS a certain amount doesn't mean a certain HAS to pay that amount. L
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #25
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
This is America. Capitalism Rules! Are you mad at the guy for taking advantage of the free market system?? Are you some kinda Commie?

LOL.

I'm a Ditto Head. Loud and Proud.

Operation Chaos is a-w-e-s-o-m-e, btw.

If we went DE or DT in the first round, that would make a HUGE stir with the media. Each game we had last year, the TV crew put up the "Texans have invested a fortune in the DL" graphic. Can you imagine if we add ANOTHER DL from the first round? If we had two really good DEs, Amobi as a tackle, and at least "solid" play from another tackle (or a tackle rotation), it'd give us a Steel Blue Curtain.

I wouldn't put it past Kubiak to go DL again. It would be his own version of Operation Chaos.
Old 04-03-2008   #26
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't put it past them either. I don't think it's likely, but if a great pass rusher drops to 18 it's a possibility, IMO. Kubiak's already taken the media's best shot when it comes to criticism of a draft choice anyways, nothing to lose in that respect at this point.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008   #27
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

If a DE is the highest rated player at 18, IMO they take him and critics be damned. TJ was a Capers/Casserly pick, so you can't hold that against them.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-04-2008   #28
KeithW
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 KeithW is a Hall of FamerKeithW is a Hall of FamerKeithW is a Hall of FamerKeithW is a Hall of FamerKeithW is a Hall of FamerKeithW is a Hall of FamerKeithW is a Hall of FamerKeithW is a Hall of FamerKeithW is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I don't think they can afford to. I was going to check the numbers at Keith's cap page on houstonprofootball.com, but their site is down.
Lucky! Where you been, man?!

I estimated Weaver's dead money on Stephanie's blog about a month ago.

Quote:
As Weaver is now entering the third year of his five-year contract, his unamortized signing bonus amounts to ($6MM / 5 years * 3 years remaining = ) $3.6 million, plus his (estimated) unamortized option bonus of ($6MM / 4 years * 3 years remaining = ) $4.5 million, for a combined total of $8.1 million. With a base salary of $3.5 million this season, cutting Weaver now becomes a rather expensive cap maneuver as the net ($8.1 million of dead money less $3.5 million of salary expense saved) is still a very high figure of $4.6 million.

As such, it seems very unlikely that, so long as Weaver is healthy, he will not be a cap casualty in 2008. If he were to be released though, he would almost certainly be classified as June 1st cut, meaning just the 2008 bonuses would hit this year ($2.7 million), thereby pushing the rest of the dead money onto the 2009 salary cap ($5.4 million).
Since the time I wrote that, I gained (and quickly lost) access to official salary cap data. And while I don't have Weaver's details saved, I seem to recall checking it out and thinking it matched my estimate.
KeithW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008   #29
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithW View Post
Lucky! Where you been, man?!
Around, like a donut.

I think you've spelled it out extremely well (as usual). Weaver looks like a lock to stay through '08. I still think the Texans can't count on Weaver as a contributer and need to find another pass rusher at DE. Even if it's a mid round tweener.
Old 04-04-2008   #30
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

thanks Keith..here some rep for all the work you and others did on the other site!
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008   #31
KeithW
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 KeithW is a Hall of FamerKeithW is a Hall of FamerKeithW is a Hall of FamerKeithW is a Hall of FamerKeithW is a Hall of FamerKeithW is a Hall of FamerKeithW is a Hall of FamerKeithW is a Hall of FamerKeithW is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Around, like a donut.
Well, if Fiddy doesn't show up soon, you can have back into the old dynasty league. Anyone know where he is btw?

popanot took your old team and went 5-8. Good news though is that we ditched whatever that was on your helmet.
KeithW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008   #32
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithW View Post
popanot took your old team and went 5-8. Good news though is that we ditched whatever that was on your helmet.
That was for the best. It was probably starting to smell.

Fiddy is at UT, I think. He still lurks and you can send him a PM.
Old 04-04-2008   #33
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
QFT!!

All athletes do everything for the money.
And we do what we do for the better of all humanity.
Old 04-04-2008   #34
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

We are all pretty much Ho's, the only thing that changes is the amount we are paid.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008   #35
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
We are all pretty much Ho's, the only thing that changes is the amount we are paid.
Man: Would you have sex with me for $10 mil?

Girl: Sure.

Man: How about $50

Girl: What do you think I am, a prostitute?

Man: We already established that, now we are negotiating the price.

disclaimer--I thought about reversing the roles to be PC but the transaction stopped at:

Girl: Would you have sex with me [interrupt] Guy: sure.
Old 04-05-2008   #36
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
disclaimer--I thought about reversing the roles to be PC but the transaction stopped at:

Girl: Would you have sex with me [interrupt] Guy: sure.
Yup, guys wouldn't put up any sort of fight or negotiate.

De Oppresso Liber

Last edited by infantrycak; 04-05-2008 at 08:16 AM.
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008   #37
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 237388 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Yup, guys wouldn't put up any sort of fight or negotiate.
that confirms your original statement - we's all ho's
whether you sell your body or your mind, you're still for sale.

Last edited by infantrycak; 04-05-2008 at 08:16 AM.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #38
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Ya know, I'm tired of these athletes saying that they're trying to take care of their families. Or saying that they have kids to feed. Seriously, we all have families, and kids to feed. The NFL league minimum is 10 times more than most people make anyway. I don't understand why they all keep saying that. How many kids do you have? 36

I understand that contracts are not guaranteed, and every contract could be a player's last. I don't blame them for getting all they can, from any team they can. They just need to drop the ''support my family" line already.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #39
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
And we do what we do for the better of all humanity.
I rpomise you my job has very little to do with the "bettering of humanity". I work for my paycheck.

Just like all athletes, and the only people I bag on when it comes to athelete contracts are the Gms who negoiate them and the agents who talk guys into bad moves.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #40
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110 View Post
Ya know, I'm tired of these athletes saying that they're trying to take care of their families. Or saying that they have kids to feed. Seriously, we all have families, and kids to feed. The NFL league minimum is 10 times more than most people make anyway. I don't understand why they all keep saying that. How many kids do you have? 36

I understand that contracts are not guaranteed, and every contract could be a player's last. I don't blame them for getting all they can, from any team they can. They just need to drop the ''support my family" line already.
How do you know they are just talking about immediate family ?

I know that if I am ever blessed enough to have great wealth I'm going to make sure everyone around me (meaning very close friends and relatives) see's a little piece of the pie...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read