Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-02-2008   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default FanHouse Mock Draft Help

FanHouse is doing its mock draft, and I'm picking for the Texans. I'd like to give you the opportunity to help. The mock has been picked up to #16 so far, so give me two player names that you would be okay with at the #18 spot that haven't been chosen. You can give reasons why if you would like.

My personal bias is best player available in a position that the Texans aren't completely set at. (i.e. basically no QBs, but everything else is pretty wide open). I have ideas in my head, but I do not want to share so as not to bias the answers in this thread.

Thanks in advance for helping. I may end up linking this thread to the final post.

Here's the mock to date:

1-Dolphins: DE Chris Long
2-Rams: OT Jake Long
3-Falcons: DL Glen Dorsey
4-Raiders: RB Darren McFadden
5-Chiefs: OT Ryan Clady
6-Jets: DE Vernon Gholston
7-Pats: LB Keith Rivers
8-Ravens: QB Matt Ryan
9-Bengals: DT Sedrick Ellis
10-Saints: CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
11-Bills: WR Limas Sweed
12-Broncos: OT Chris Williams
13-Panthers: DE Derrick Harvey
14-Bears: OT Jeff Otah
15-Lions: OT/OG Branden Albert
16-Cardinals: RB Rashard Mendenhall
Old 04-02-2008   #2
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: FanHouse Mock Draft Help

Almost a worst case scenario for me with Williams, Albert, Cromartie, Mendenhall, etc off the board.

I would go with CB Leodis McKelvin, Mike Jenkins, Aqib Talib, Antoine Cason, or Brandon Flowers. or RB Jonathan Stewart.

Conventional wisdom tells me:
1. CB Leodis McKelvin
2. CB Mike Jenkins
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #3
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39273 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Leodis McKelvin. CB is what I think we will pick, and I believe McKelvin is the best in the draft.

Mike Jenkins. Jenkins is one of the best 2 or 3 Corners in the draft, but I personally don't think the Texans will pick him because of his character.

1. McKelvin
2. Jenkins

Last edited by JCTexan; 04-02-2008 at 05:30 PM.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #4
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

1. CB Leodis McKelvin
2. CB Aqib Talib

McKelvin is a no brainer, where need meets BPA.

The 2nd choice would be tougher if Jonathan Stewart were healthy. There has to be a limit on how many injured RBs a team can carry, right?

For a defensive that finished last in interceptions, a playmaker like Talib would really help.

I also like Auburn's Quentin Groves, but I don't think I could sell another d-lineman in the 1st round to the fans. Plus, I'm not sure if he's an every down player.
Old 04-02-2008   #5
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

CB. Leodis McKelvin for me too. I want a left tackle but in this particular draft it seems going with McKelvin, who's arguably the best corner in this draft, is the best option.

Last edited by Nawzer; 04-02-2008 at 06:04 PM.
Nawzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #6
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35494 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Stewart and McKelvin.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #7
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
1. CB Leodis McKelvin
2. CB Aqib Talib

McKelvin is a no brainer, where need meets BPA.

The 2nd choice would be tougher if Jonathan Stewart were healthy. There has to be a limit on how many injured RBs a team can carry, right?

For a defensive that finished last in interceptions, a playmaker like Talib would really help.

I also like Auburn's Quentin Groves, but I don't think I could sell another d-lineman in the 1st round to the fans. Plus, I'm not sure if he's an every down player.
I agree with this. Disappointed all those tackles are already off the board, but also very surprised to see McKelvin slipped that far. He's been the #1 CB taken in most of the mocks I've seen. If he gets taken next Talib wouldn't be a bad value at 18 IMO.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-02-2008   #8
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

1. McKelvin
2. Mike Jenkins

I think CB and OT are our most glaring needs (stating the obvious here, I know), you could make a case for either one being the biggest need and it be justified. Since the top tier OL are off the board at this point, it's time to hope Gibbs does what he has been brought in to do with a 3rd round and possibly later OL selections and we focus on CB at #18.
Old 04-02-2008   #9
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

1. McKelvin (Can't believe he fell that far)
2. Talib
Old 04-02-2008   #10
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
1. McKelvin (Can't believe he fell that far)
2. Talib
Well, he might not fall. The 17th pick hasn't been made yet.

In fact, I am guessing that he might go next.

We will have to wait to find out.
Old 04-02-2008   #11
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217648 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Hate to be a sheeple but after reading that list, the first three names that came to mind were:

1. Leodis McKelvin
2a. Mike Jenkins
2b. Aqib Talib
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #12
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 151960 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Leodis McKelvin
2. Mike Jenkins

I've looked at some mocks and they have the Vikings taking a QB or a DE .

sheeple ... bah bah .
Old 04-03-2008   #13
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Almost a worst case scenario for me with Williams, Albert, Cromartie, Mendenhall, etc off the board.

I would go with CB Leodis McKelvin, Mike Jenkins, Aqib Talib, Antoine Cason, or Brandon Flowers. or RB Jonathan Stewart.

Conventional wisdom tells me:
1. CB Leodis McKelvin
2. CB Mike Jenkins
agreed. Might well happen....trade back.
Old 04-03-2008   #14
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Most everybody wants to move back, hardly anybody wants to move up.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Most everybody wants to move back, hardly anybody wants to move up.
That's what I'm reading as well. (a) I'd love to trade back (b) after reading on other teams' boards, it sounds like every teams' fans want them to either trade up for player x or to trade down.

I think the team(s) that do end up trading down, will probably have to do it at a discount this year. It's kind of weird but I'm getting the feeling that a team actually wanting to trade up may be in a better position as far as a leverage stand point because of so many teams wanting to trade down. they just say 'okay, well thanks for listening but we'll make the trade with 1 of 5 other teams that are talking to us.'

Of course that's speculation and fans' views, not the GM's.
Old 04-03-2008   #16
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Go with McKelvin or Mike Jenkins. Personally, I would take Jenkins.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #17
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
That's what I'm reading as well. (a) I'd love to trade back (b) after reading on other teams' boards, it sounds like every teams' fans want them to either trade up for player x or to trade down.

I think the team(s) that do end up trading down, will probably have to do it at a discount this year. It's kind of weird but I'm getting the feeling that a team actually wanting to trade up may be in a better position as far as a leverage stand point because of so many teams wanting to trade down. they just say 'okay, well thanks for listening but we'll make the trade with 1 of 5 other teams that are talking to us.'

Of course that's speculation and fans' views, not the GM's.
Very perceptive. But then maybe I feel that way because I share your views ?
Nevertheless, in this environment (which is it's clearly a "buyers market" for those few teams willing to trade up), perhaps a shrewd GM like Rick Smith would take advantage of the situation and be open to moving up since that's where the real value might be in this Draft ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

if the Vikings select Leodis then I would look @ Jonathan Stewart or Mike Jenkins

even if this is the worst case scenero the 18th pick will yield a starter for the Texans, I'm sure they'll listen to offers

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #19
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
if the Vikings select Leodis then I would look @ Jonathan Stewart or Mike Jenkins

even if this is the worst case scenero the 18th pick will yield a starter for the Texans, I'm sure they'll listen to offers
but not the high end OLT...always wait untill next year isn't it ? Or wait untill Charles gets back... always something. So I wonder which Seth Wand prospect it will be this time ?
Old 04-03-2008   #20
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
but not the high end OLT...always wait untill next year isn't it ? Or wait untill Charles gets back... always something. So I wonder which Seth Wand prospect it will be this time ?
I get where your coming from and believe me I'm standing right next to you (Williams and Albert are MY favorite prospects for the 1st). We gotta get that LT for Schaub.

But in this case: Long, Clady, Williams, and even Otah are all off the board. Albert is off the board so the next LT we'd be looking at would probably either be Sam Baker or Anthony Collins and I'm not too sure they are worth the 18th overall pick (generally considered mid-2nd rounders at this point). There's gotta be better players out there (and they would even fit a need).

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read