Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-02-2008   #1
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 18 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man
Default A mock with us going a different direction

http://www.draftwisdom.com/firstroundcontinued.html

Quote:
18. Keith Rivers, OLB, USC

The Texans need help at numerous positions but shouldn't get caught up on one. Rivers has the most value at this position in the first round and they should be targeting linebacker help. They need to get much better on defense if they are going to move closer to a winning environment. They will be able to take a talented Runningback in round two or three.

Previous Revision: Felix Jones, Runningback, Arkansas
This is the first one that I have seen without us taking a DB, OL or RB. I wouldn't hate this one, plus would probably be the end of Greenwood.

What do you think?
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #2
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 18 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Default Re: A mock with us going a different direction

More info on him

http://www.nflfans.com/x/2008/showpl...Keith%20Rivers

Quote:
HEIGHT 6'2"
WEIGHT 241
40 TIME 4.58
Quote:
Draft Exchange Analysis:
Rivers is an elite athlete with the speed and insticts to make impact plays. He is a well built outside linebacker who finds the ball quickly, moves through traffic with ease and has the speed to chase down anyone from the backside. He is adept at making tackles on runs at him and breaks up passes in man-to-man and zone coverage. Rivers, no doubt, has the tools to be a three-down linebacker in the NFL. He will be a high first-round pick in April.
Old 04-02-2008   #3
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

i dont see it happening but he'd be our SLB if it did, right?
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #4
Polo

I don't see it happening.
Old 04-02-2008   #5
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3261 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by V Man View Post
I wouldn't hate this one, plus would probably be the end of Greenwood.

What do you think?
I wouldn't think it would be the end of Greenwood, heck..the guy has been quietly one of our best defensive players.

Playing next to Demeco is another thing.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #6
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

If the board falls correctly and they can't move down....I wouldn't be totally shocked. Only they know what they have with the two LBs (UFAs signed: LB Kevin Bentley. UFA signed: LB Chaun Thompson) they bought this off season. If they are anything like Greenwood , they will need some seasoning.
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...=rosters&id=34

I don't beleive Demeeco reads well enough to play outside.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...DraftNeeds.htm
Quote:
Needs on defense: CB Dunta Robinson (knee/hamstring) is expected to miss the start of the season, so the Texans may look to bolster the depth at that position. Houston has long needed a playmaking safety, too. The Texans have young stars at defensive end (Mario Williams) and defensive tackle (Amobi Okoye) but could use some young, talented players behind them.
When they send five or six... no one gets there. Been that way for awhile.
Old 04-02-2008   #7
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I don't beleive Demeeco reads well enough to play outside.
Sponsored links
Old 04-02-2008   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Rivers is a pick who is all over the board. mocksters everywhere are trying to find a home for him, but its not going to be Houston either

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #9
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Go pick out the big runs they gave out last season...watch one of his fishing expoitions. He chases b'rair wrabbit... alot. no help on the edge when you go fishing.
Old 04-02-2008   #10
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 85740 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

At this point we still need top notch guys all over the field. Paing DeMeco with another young stud LB would have us set for the next 10 years. If that were to happen I would expect our 3rd LB spot to be an "open" slot; i.e. guys are going to duke it out every year and we're not going to invest high picks/money into it.

This guy's bio reads well enough (cover, run, tackle in space) - I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #11
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Go pick out the big runs they gave out last season...watch one of his fishing expoitions. He chases b'rair wrabbit... alot. no help on the edge when you go fishing.
Old 04-02-2008   #12
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Has every draftnick and their mom forgot about the Supplemental draft pick Jared Gaither by the Ravens last year? First round talent and they got him for what a fourth?

Otah to Denver?! In Bizarro world perhaps.

I'm not a draftnick by any standards but they need to stop trying to out think or draft each other. Look at team needs, take combine results, factor in early FAs and keep in mind what each team wants to do on both sides of the ball. It is more art then science and someone every year does make an unexpected jump to shuffles the board.

Far as Keith Rivers goes would i be opposed to see him in a Texans uniform? Not really but do I think it'll happen? No. I see the Saints and Bengals as likely destinations.

I think this mock might be close on the Lions though. Looking at their ends they do look weak.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #13
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
At this point we still need top notch guys all over the field. Paing DeMeco with another young stud LB would have us set for the next 10 years. If that were to happen I would expect our 3rd LB spot to be an "open" slot; i.e. guys are going to duke it out every year and we're not going to invest high picks/money into it.

This guy's bio reads well enough (cover, run, tackle in space) - I wouldn't be opposed to it.
Made me think of us Ryans and Rivers looking like the Bears Urlacher and Briggs. Wouldn't hate it.
Old 04-02-2008   #14
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure how much to trust their pick when they say we can take a RB with our picks in Rd 2 or 3. No Rd 2.
Old 04-02-2008   #15
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Yea that is interesting.
Lets take this scenario: we know the Texans from a primary need perspective are looking at OLT & CB & RB with secondary needs at DLine & salety.
Say nobody is available at the primary or even secondary need positions
that they value as higher than a 2nd rounder.
OK and lets also say that even though they aren't targeting a LB, they think so highly of Rivers that their own internal rankings have him at #6 overall. And nobody will trade with them so they can move back.
OK far out scenario I agree, but in that situation I'd say BPA definitely trumps need ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #16
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 43261 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would be surprised to see a LB taken. Then again every year the draft throws out surprises so who am I to say.

Hate to sound like a patsie but I trust that whoever the FO takes will be the right guy, they are batting a pretty high percentage so far.
Old 04-02-2008   #17
camron1269
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 camron1269 was voted MVPcamron1269 was voted MVPcamron1269 was voted MVP

id love to have rivers on the texans. he is probably the only LB worth us getting in the first round though (except for gholston who clearly wont be there). i believe there is a decent chance of it happening as well. gibbs might tell smith that he can turn late round OL into studs, it looks as though were working out a lot of late round corners and dunta expects to come back sooner than we thought, we resigned all 3 of our safeties and signed ferguson, i think tompson and bentley will be depth and special teams guys at best unfortunately, and i have faith in a healthy chris brown with 3 other capable guys around him. that leaves OLB as our next glaring hole. rivers fills that beautifully.
id be real happy with rivers in the first, an LT/corner in the 3rd, a LT/corner in the 4th, and perhaps a pass rushing DE in the 6th, and maybe a guard in the 7th.
camron1269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #18
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the idea of getting another young LB that is a better tackler.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #19
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't like criticizing mocks too much because I'm glad that they are out there. Better a bad mock than no mock.

Frankly, I don't think that Rivers is outlandish if Long/Clady/Williams/Otah are off the board at 18. Albert and Stewart are still there, as are Talib/Cason/Jenkins. Albert played guard in college, Stewart has an injury, and there are decidedly mixed opinions on the three corners. If Rivers is as good as, say, Patrick Willis, I would not have many complaints.

But that points to the big question in my mind: what do we do in the worst case draft scenario?

As of today, I see the following players as locks to be taken before 18:
Chris Long
Jake Long
McFadden
Gholston
Dorsey
S. Ellis
Ryan (maybe not a 100% lock, but close enough).

That's seven picks, leaving 10 before ours. I definitely think two corners will be chosen before us, but opinions on which two vary wildly. That's 9 picks.

I've seen only a tiny number of mocks that have Clady going 18 or later, so let's add him. That's 10 picks with 7 to go.

What if those seven other picks are Williams, Otah, Albert, two more cornerbacks, Stewart and Mendenhall.

Thus, we are left with the top 4 CB's and OTs (plus Albert) off the board along with the top 3 tailbacks. Rather than identifying the 4 CBs, just assume that it is your top 4.

Assume further that nobody wants to trade with us and we're stuck at 18.

Under that scenario, Rivers would be extremely tempting. Same with Merling/Harvey. Or is your fifth-best CB the call?

Last edited by Hooston Texan; 04-02-2008 at 02:56 PM. Reason: correct some math
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #20
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Keith Rivers would be a terrific pick up. Too bad he won't be there. Not even close. We're talking about a guy who was one of the top 10 players coming out of high school and has showed that he can live up to the hype. Easily one of the top 5 defensive players in the draft. No way Rivers makes it to the Texans.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read