Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-02-2008   #21
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP
Default Re: This is why I love Kubiak and Smith

I dont think clady is a zbs prospect, I think williams is the only match and Otah is a stretch not worth trading up at all. a 2nd next year or a 3rd and a 5th might do it, but who knows.
Old 04-02-2008   #22
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
The scenario I've suggested certainly isn't the most likely. We're just talking here, killing time during the offseason.
Yeah, I'm not really disagreeing with you. I see the real possibility of going to get a guy this year. We don't have infinit needs this year. We have 4. So, while I think that may happen, I'm just saying we won't use this year's resources to do it for a couple reasons. We only have 5 picks in a very good draft class. And, three of our greatest areas of needs (OT, RB, CB), are very well represented in this year's draft.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #23
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Texans have their own internal rankings of players like any team right ?
Of all the O tackles out there, hypothetical speaking of course, lets say that Chris Williams is their highrest rated LT and they even have him rated #4overall on the Board. And as Kubiak admits in this article, LT is one of their biggest needs, both short-term and more importantly over the long-term.
OK, here's the scenario: they are sitting there at #18 and the team with the
15th pick is about ready to select and to the Texans surprise Williams is still on the Board and they also know both teams picking between them & 15 want Williams real bad. If they can move up to 15 by throwing in their third-rounder even though that would leave them with only a 4th, 5th , & 7th rounder, should they make that move ? I would in a heart-beat.
I do not want to trade up in that scenario. THere are too many opportunities to get a solid LT below 18. A trade down to Dallas for example and pick up anything and still select a LT that could start this year would be better imo and then use your 3rd for Rb or CB or that infamous DE that can rush the QB. Two starters for one and you have extra draft pick from trade down for Smith to do his magic with.
Old 04-02-2008   #24
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
"We're not interested in getting rid of Sage," McNair said. "Somebody would have to value him much more highly than we do, and so far, it hasn't happened."

Which means if Minnie would of thrown in the other three...sage would be the strater for them by the forth game.
Kubiak/Smith aren't going to be the ones dishing to the media on who is interested in Sage. The original Sage trade rumors came from places other than the Texans.

There are enough teams in the league with sucky backups (or starters for that matter) where it wouldn't surprise me at all if something got done before the draft. Recovering Schaub shoulder and all.

Basically, McNair in so many words is saying let's make a deal, but that deal needs to be good.
Old 04-02-2008   #25
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Texans have their own internal rankings of players like any team right ?
Of all the O tackles out there, hypothetical speaking of course, lets say that Chris Williams is their highrest rated LT and they even have him rated #4overall on the Board. And as Kubiak admits in this article, LT is one of their biggest needs, both short-term and more importantly over the long-term.
OK, here's the scenario: they are sitting there at #18 and the team with the
15th pick is about ready to select and to the Texans surprise Williams is still on the Board and they also know both teams picking between them & 15 want Williams real bad. If they can move up to 15 by throwing in their third-rounder even though that would leave them with only a 4th, 5th , & 7th rounder, should they make that move ? I would in a heart-beat.
I agree, we've got to address the LT position in a big way. Like another poster said, most games are won in the trenches.
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #26
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
tring to plug the Bosselli black hole. it's lack of will.
Some how, that just sounds wrong.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #27
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post
I agree, we've got to address the LT position in a big way. Like another poster said, most games are won in the trenches.

It will be interesting if we are faced with a choice of a top DE like Harvey and a top OT like Williams both available. Do you pass up DE for an OT even though the talent level at our next pick is clearly talent dominated by OT? In fact after the second round DE is going to be weak and not likely to have any impact IMO. On the other hand OT looks to be still plentiful in the 3rd.

I disagree with those who say the D Line is good enough like it no longer needs any attention. Besides Mario we have what? A young player with allot of unfilled potential so far in Okoye. We have no idea if he is going to live up to his potntial. Hope so! An inconsistent TJ who is IMO underrated a little by most here. A player that is a role player and one year from retiring in Kalu. Weaver who is not the answer and who’s time is most likely limited until his contract is no longer a financial problem to terminate. Maddox who is just a warm body and no one else worth listing at all.

The Dline needs more talent and more depth especially at DE. Smithiak has already proven they can find OT's in the 3rd that can contribute.

A top DE in the 1st with the pick of a OT that should be available in the 3rd would be a stronger combination than say, one of the top OL in the 1st and one of the DE's projected to go in the 3rd. There is more than one side to a LOS. Don’t be surprised if a top notch DE is our pick if that situation occurs.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-03-2008   #28
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post
After QB, is there any single position on this team or any NFL team more important than OLT ? And how long have we been trying to acquire a LT for the long-term ? The answers to those 2 questions is no and 6 years, respectively.
A Chris Williams or another LT in this Draft who Smith, Kubiak, & Co. feel could be our long-term solution at that position is absolutely worth our 1st and 3rd rounders IMO.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #29
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
After QB, is there any single position on this team or any NFL team more important than OLT ? And how long have we been trying to acquire a LT for the long-term ? The answers to those 2 questions is no and 6 years, respectively.
A Chris Williams or another LT in this Draft who Smith, Kubiak, & Co. feel could be our long-term solution at that position is absolutely worth our 1st and 3rd rounders IMO.
I agree that LT that can lock position for years is important but would not pay the 1st & 3rd as I fully believe a quality LT will be therre in 3rd. Of course I believe we will get a 2 for Sage also. If Williams is there at #18 ok he's ours. My worry is all top LTs Rbs & Cbs are gone at 18 and no one will trade up to get us out of 18.

I do not think Harvey will be at 18, but if he is I think Smith may select him. I disagree as I do not see DE as higher priority than LT CB & RB. I am hopeful the entire Dline is improved this year as well as Mr. Weaver. I would not draft DE period.
Old 04-03-2008   #30
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
I dont think clady is a zbs prospect, I think williams is the only match and Otah is a stretch not worth trading up at all. a 2nd next year or a 3rd and a 5th might do it, but who knows.
Well I wtached him for five games...he's a dead on mtach from what I understand about it. Long arms, Quick feet....wanna bang his run blocking that's one thing. no one is going to speed rush the guy on the left edge. no one.
Old 04-03-2008   #31
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 241723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
It will be interesting if we are faced with a choice of a top DE like Harvey and a top OT like Williams both available. Do you pass up DE for an OT even though the talent level at our next pick is clearly talent dominated by OT? In fact after the second round DE is going to be weak and not likely to have any impact IMO. On the other hand OT looks to be still plentiful in the 3rd.

I disagree with those who say the D Line is good enough like it no longer needs any attention. Besides Mario we have what? A young player with allot of unfilled potential so far in Okoye. We have no idea if he is going to live up to his potntial. Hope so! An inconsistent TJ who is IMO underrated a little by most here. A player that is a role player and one year from retiring in Kalu. Weaver who is not the answer and who’s time is most likely limited until his contract is no longer a financial problem to terminate. Maddox who is just a warm body and no one else worth listing at all.

The Dline needs more talent and more depth especially at DE. Smithiak has already proven they can find OT's in the 3rd that can contribute.

A top DE in the 1st with the pick of a OT that should be available in the 3rd would be a stronger combination than say, one of the top OL in the 1st and one of the DE's projected to go in the 3rd. There is more than one side to a LOS. Don’t be surprised if a top notch DE is our pick if that situation occurs.
I know this is just for gabbing purposes, but I'd rather stick with the plan. Get us an OT or CB/FS in round one & three because that's were the draft gems match our biggest needs. In subsequent rounds take the best player available at RB, OLB, and DE - no particular order meant to be implied.

Round one is where you find your starters - out of our seven total first-rounders we have five still starting for us. So I don't want to burn our #1 pick for a situational pass rusher (see Jason Babin) and ignore the spots where we need the most help.

Last edited by ObsiWan; 04-03-2008 at 05:42 PM.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #32
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm pretty OK with just sitting back and letting the offers, if there are any, come to us. If the interest in Sage is high enough, we can set the price ( within reason) and let the other guys sweat it out and make a choice.
#18 isn't a horrible spot to be picking at. Smith and Kubiak have stated that they will take BPA. They won't reach for an OLT, DE or CB at that spot if they don't have the players left at that spot rated there. I would LOVE to get an OLT in this draft. It's deep enough at that position that we could end up having one of the top 3 fall to us. I could see us trading back to mid 20's for a 4th if there's a player that another team just has to have. That would be OK, too. I don't see us trading down at all. We're hurting too bad for draft picks as it is.
Old 04-03-2008   #33
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

I actually think the Texans would take Virginia OG Albert before they would take OT Williams. After watching video of Albert, I think he would make a better OT in our system than Williams. But, that is just my opinion.
Old 04-04-2008   #34
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I know this is just for gabbing purposes, but I'd rather stick with the plan. Get us an OT or CB/FS in round one & three because that's were the draft gems match our biggest needs. In subsequent rounds take the best player available at RB, OLB, and DE - no particular order meant to be implied.

Round one is where you find your starters - out of our seven total first-rounders we have five still starting for us. So I don't want to burn our #1 pick for a situational pass rusher (see Jason Babin) and ignore the spots where we need the most help.
I think you can mark off FS now. I just don't think Kubiak and Smith are interested in a ball hawking FS. I think we've done a good job of putting together a quiet but good offseason so we can look at BPA at one of three spots in the first.

As thing stand right now I think we're looking at LT if Williams drops or CB in the first. If Harvey drops to us I think we might comtemplate him or offers. What could make things interesting is there's a few teams behind that are probably going to look to add a WR. Someone might be willing to jump ahead of the others to get their guy.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008   #35
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I think you can mark off FS now. I just don't think Kubiak and Smith are interested in a ball hawking FS. I think we've done a good job of putting together a quiet but good offseason so we can look at BPA at one of three spots in the first.
lets not go around crapping on fan's hearts. i want a ball-hawking FS
Old 04-04-2008   #36
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 357040 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think two off-seasons are enough to make generalizations about what the team might like ideally. The last two years they have been two high in the draft to take a FS and get value. This year, although lower, there is some thought once again the top FS might not be a good value.
Old 04-04-2008   #37
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
So I don't want to burn our #1 pick for a situational pass rusher (see Jason Babin) and ignore the spots where we need the most help.
Any DE that falls to us in the first wouldnt be a "situational pass rusher ". Take a look at the production from the DE spot opposite of Mario and tell me that isnt a spot where we need help. In fact I would rate DE, OT and CB as need # 1, 1a & 1b.

It is well known that Smithiack tend/prefer to go after OL in the later rounds and have already been sucesfull doing just that in their short time here. It is also well known that they like or prefer to go with D in the early rounds. If by some miricle Harvey should fall to #18 I couldnt imagine anyone being rated higher on ou board.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008   #38
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:

As thing stand right now I think we're looking at LT if Williams drops or CB in the first. If Harvey drops to us I think we might comtemplate him or offers. What could make things interesting is there's a few teams behind that are probably going to look to add a WR. Someone might be willing to jump ahead of the others to get their guy.
I agree, I think if a WR in demand is there at 18, that is the only way we trade down. But if it's a any of the following DE, OT, CB, RB, LB we stand pat and pick BPA. I think if they feel all the need spots are gonna be gone at 18, I could see us trying to move up a short ways. I also would not rule out a strait up trade of one of our QB's for a positon of need player. but who knows.
Old 04-04-2008   #39
Arky
Veteran

Rep Power: 2327 Arky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Any DE that falls to us in the first wouldnt be a "situational pass rusher ". Take a look at the production from the DE spot opposite of Mario and tell me that isnt a spot where we need help. In fact I would rate DE, OT and CB as need # 1, 1a & 1b.

It is well known that Smithiack tend/prefer to go after OL in the later rounds and have already been sucesfull doing just that in their short time here. It is also well known that they like or prefer to go with D in the early rounds. If by some miricle Harvey should fall to #18 I couldnt imagine anyone being rated higher on ou board.
Yes, that is the way I see it, too.

You've got a coach (Gibbs) who's bold enough to say he only needs late round OL to accomplish what he needs to do. Going by YPG, you've got the 14th ranked offense and the 24th ranked defense... What side of the ball are you looking to improve? Defense is where I would go and most likely a CB.

Having said that, I sure wish they would get the future LT in the 1st round and be done with it....
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008   #40
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Yes, that is the way I see it, too.

You've got a coach (Gibbs) who's bold enough to say he only needs late round OL to accomplish what he needs to do. Going by YPG, you've got the 14th ranked offense and the 24th ranked defense... What side of the ball are you looking to improve? Defense is where I would go and most likely a CB.

Having said that, I sure wish they would get the future LT in the 1st round and be done with it....
I don't care if my offense is #1 if the QB is in danger as ours were last season, I want a better LT and RB. We can get the CB in 3rd and pretty good ones in 4th. 5th round can go for OLB or DE.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read