Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-02-2008   #1
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default This is why I love Kubiak and Smith

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5667114.html
After all the "What is Sage Worth" and all, the Texans front office answered us unambiguously. If it doesn't make us a better team, we aren't doing it. Kubes and Smith aren't about making deals for the sake of making deals and headlines. They are about making the Texans a better team. A lot of us got soured by the former regime's propensity for signing a second tier player for firt tier)or above) money because of a "name", then playing the guy regardless of production. "Smithiak" has shown every indication of being abobe that and targeting specific needs within the budget restraints and signing the best player within those restraints. I have loved our offseason to date. We've made good signings that will help the team without putting us un salary cap hell. We haven't made any huge splashes, but we've been solid. If we have a solid draft along the lines of our past two drafts, we should be in position to compete for a wild card slot in '08. IMHO. McNair struck oil AND gold with Kubiak and Smith.
Old 04-02-2008   #2
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730
Default Re: This is why I love Kubiak and Smith

i love that you have a GM and head coach working so well together to benefit this team, but i really wanted another pick on the first day!

also, did you catch this in the other article?

Quote:
General manager Rick Smith and coach Gary Kubiak expect to get a starter with their first-round pick — 17th overall.
Kubiak weighs needs ahead of NFL draft

lets see how long the chron keeps this up
Old 04-02-2008   #3
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdude730 View Post
i love that you have a GM and head coach working so well together to benefit this team, but i really wanted another pick on the first day!

1st rd Pass rusher? Really?

The two that will be left are merling and harvey. Like em both. Merlings a little bigger so he might hold up against the run better.

Both should be a available plus or minus 2 picks.

Any Takers?
Old 04-02-2008   #4
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 294595 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

After reading the Chronicle article this morning, I certainly feel a lot better from Kubiac's comments. I'm waiting for their second draft together, but so far I'm a firm believer that Kubiac and Smith will take us to the promised land.

Plus, being the Sage supporter that I am, that article obviously makes me feel good. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #5
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

John McClain written article and no quotes from Rick Smith.
Old 04-02-2008   #6
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
John McClain written article and no quotes from Rick Smith.
Seriously, the only difference between this an all of the other pre-draft articles is that a pass rusher was included in the mix.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

""We have (three) right-handed quarterbacks (Matt Schaub, Sage Rosenfels and Quinn Gray). Look who we play in our division — Dwight Freeney (Colts) and Kyle Vanden Bosch (Titans) twice a year. You better be good at protecting the quarterback."
That's a pretty dang explicit expression of Kubiaks concern about getting somebody who can address their need at this position over the long-term.
For the first time I think I'm of the opinion that if they are really high on a particular LT and think they have to move up to get him or he'll be gone at #18, they might make a real effort to do a deal.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-02-2008   #8
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdude730 View Post

It has been fixed.
Old 04-02-2008   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubes mentioned CB, RB and LT as well as DE. Nothing new on first three and we at least know those three will be addressed unless a DE is there unexpectedly. We just don't know what round the CB,RB and LT will be selected in. A 2 would be nice on draft day.
Old 04-02-2008   #10
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

I won't believe anything that comes out of any NFL Player/Coach/GM/Owner until after the draft.

And then only half.

I don't currently know which half.
Old 04-02-2008   #11
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

You want to win, you gotta control the LOS. You addressed it on the defensive side, now's time to address it on the offensive side.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #12
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 8212 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
""We have (three) right-handed quarterbacks (Matt Schaub, Sage Rosenfels and Quinn Gray). Look who we play in our division — Dwight Freeney (Colts) and Kyle Vanden Bosch (Titans) twice a year. You better be good at protecting the quarterback."
That's a pretty dang explicit expression of Kubiaks concern about getting somebody who can address their need at this position over the long-term.
For the first time I think I'm of the opinion that if they are really high on a particular LT and think they have to move up to get him or he'll be gone at #18, they might make a real effort to do a deal.
I'm not following your line of reasoning on moving up, can you elaborate? There are about 4-5 OTs that could go in the 1st round. If are RT is the prototype, then looking at someone w/ his skills/demeanor and LT body should lead us to players we may be targeting.

Guys like Long, Clady and Williams probably go before our pick. So maybe we're looking hard at Otah, Baker, Cherilus, etc. Baker seems a lot like Eric Winston and Otah seems to have some Spencer in him. I'd really like to address LT this year, so I hope we get the guy we want,

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 181825 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
With what? The Texans only have 5 picks in the draft (tied for fewest). With the Rosenfels deal extinguished, they don't have the ammo to move up if they wanted.
Old 04-02-2008   #14
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I think there would've been a nice oppurtunity with the third we could've garnered for Sage.

I do think McNair is a bit off to say Schaub and Sage 1 and 1A. It'd be different if we have a situation like Cleveland where both QBs are young with still lots of upside in Anderson and Quinn. We have one starter and one capable backup. I'm okay to leave it at that.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #15
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
You want to win, you gotta control the LOS. You addressed it on the defensive side, now's time to address it on the offensive side.
We may get lucky this draft. We will never be in a poition to take one in the top half of the first round of a draft.

The spotless guy is always going to be just out of reach. Whomever they take...past the first three rounds... will have some warts on him. Doesn't mean it can't work. If all three top propects for his system, Williams , Claddy and now I believe alberts.... are off the board @ 18, it makes sense to bang the CB hole. If Gibbs can find someone he can work with in the second day, fine. Just really bothers me to spend this much capitol on QBs and not do your best as a franchise to protect them. I posted last year this is the draft the second round picks we gave for MS would come back to hunt the franchise... I can think of nothing worse than to watch four or five o-lineman go off the board while the Texans are left one more draft wiffing...tring to plug the Bosselli black hole. It's come to point it isn't just bad luck...it's lack of will.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 04-02-2008 at 01:51 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #16
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Japan View Post
I'm not following your line of reasoning on moving up, can you elaborate? There are about 4-5 OTs that could go in the 1st round. If are RT is the prototype, then looking at someone w/ his skills/demeanor and LT body should lead us to players we may be targeting.

Guys like Long, Clady and Williams probably go before our pick. So maybe we're looking hard at Otah, Baker, Cherilus, etc. Baker seems a lot like Eric Winston and Otah seems to have some Spencer in him. I'd really like to address LT this year, so I hope we get the guy we want,
The Texans have their own internal rankings of players like any team right ?
Of all the O tackles out there, hypothetical speaking of course, lets say that Chris Williams is their highrest rated LT and they even have him rated #4overall on the Board. And as Kubiak admits in this article, LT is one of their biggest needs, both short-term and more importantly over the long-term.
OK, here's the scenario: they are sitting there at #18 and the team with the
15th pick is about ready to select and to the Texans surprise Williams is still on the Board and they also know both teams picking between them & 15 want Williams real bad. If they can move up to 15 by throwing in their third-rounder even though that would leave them with only a 4th, 5th , & 7th rounder, should they make that move ? I would in a heart-beat.
Old 04-02-2008   #17
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Japan View Post

I'm pretty much with vinny on ohat. Except for the fact that McNeil, who I conider simular to Ohtah, turned out to be prety fair OT. The ony way they'd Baker or Cherlilus is with move down, far from a sure thing. Hello King Dunlap -tony Hills. What's that guy from Toledoe's name ?

"We're not interested in getting rid of Sage," McNair said. "Somebody would have to value him much more highly than we do, and so far, it hasn't happened."

Which means if Minnie would of thrown in the other three...sage would be the strater for them by the forth game.
Old 04-02-2008   #18
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 70559 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Of all the O tackles out there, hypothetical speaking of course, lets say that Chris Williams is their highrest rated LT and they even have him rated #4overall on the Board. And as Kubiak admits in this article, LT is one of their biggest needs, both short-term and more importantly over the long-term.
15th pick is about ready to select and to the Texans surprise Williams is still on the Board and they also know both teams picking between them & 15 want Williams real bad. If they can move up to 15 by throwing in their third-rounder even though that would leave them with only a 4th, 5th , & 7th rounder, should they make that move ? I would in a heart-beat.

More likely would be trading something from next year's draft- like a 2 in order to move up 3 or 4 spots. With the needs of the team and the depth of this draft, I seriously doubt they get rid of their 3 middle round picks, regardless of the situation.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #19
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 8212 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ok, got it. I really doubt we'll give up our 3rd and if any of the pre-draft mocks are close we'd need to get up before DEN and CAR for Williams...our third probably won't do it.

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #20
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
More likely would be trading something from next year's draft- like a 2 in order to move up 3 or 4 spots. With the needs of the team and the depth of this draft, I seriously doubt they get rid of their 3 middle round picks, regardless of the situation.
The scenario I've suggested certainly isn't the most likely. We're just talking here, killing time during the offseason.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read