Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-01-2008   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default ESPN Mock Draft v6.0 by Todd McShay

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...mcshaymock0401

18. Houston Texans -- Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas

Record: 8-8 | Needs: CB, LOT, RB, DE, S, G, C
Previous mock selection: Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon

Houston has spent its past five first-round picks on the defensive side of the ball, and the team easily could make it six in a row by drafting a cornerback like Talib. While his feet and decision-making skills still need polishing, he is a versatile playmaker with outstanding size and speed for the position.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008   #2
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default Re: ESPN Mock Draft v6.0 by Todd McShay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans34Life View Post
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...mcshaymock0401

18. Houston Texans -- Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas

Record: 8-8 | Needs: CB, LOT, RB, DE, S, G, C
Previous mock selection: Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon

Houston has spent its past five first-round picks on the defensive side of the ball, and the team easily could make it six in a row by drafting a cornerback like Talib. While his feet and decision-making skills still need polishing, he is a versatile playmaker with outstanding size and speed for the position.
now this guy is making sense. the value at #18 is at CB and DE/OLB. We need CB more so the decision is made that much easier.
Old 04-01-2008   #3
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Felix Jones and Desean Jackson for the Cowboy's. That's kinda scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008   #4
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 77922 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am also in the draft defence camp, you can win on offence with a good system, the defence needs talent to win.

I can live with Talib, rather him than Cromartie.
Old 04-01-2008   #5
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I am also in the draft defence camp, you can win on offence with a good system, the defence needs talent to win.

I can live with Talib, rather him than Cromartie.
i'd take that pick, the O was fine minus the turnovers, the defense isn't championshiop material yet, keep building it through the draft, we are in the toughest division in the AFC, we have to stop peyton and his high flying arieal attack yet the jags and titans are two of the leagues best run oriented attacks, we'll go as far as our D takes us in the division and still need a great effort against the pats and chargers in the playoffs
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #6
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

For some reason I just don't want Talib. Think it is that he is not that fast, and I am tired of seeing Texan DBs running behind the WRs.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #7
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Being fast isnt the be all end all of CB. Look at P Buch. He was fast, and did nothing but trail 5 yards behind WR's. Talib has better football speed than his 40 time suggests. He was all over the Q Tech WR's in thier bowl game, and those guys are pretty fast and good, so Im all for it.
Old 04-02-2008   #8
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 116440 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

The following statement would concern me:

"While his feet and decision-making skills still need polishing..."

Does this mean he is a gambler or he misses assignments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #9
Polo

I don't see us going corner in the first round unless a corner is absolutely the BPA left when we pick.
Old 04-02-2008   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

My 'man-crush' for Branden Albert is still alive, especially if that's how the first 17 picks go. Can't really argue with the Talib pick though- if Smith thinks he's BPA then I'm fine with the selection.

Some interesting things:
-Jonathan Stewart dropping to the 2nd round (I doubt that happens)
-Antoine Cason sneaking up to the top of the 2nd round (38th overall)
-Duane Brown sneaking up to the 2nd round (57th)
-New Orleans getting Kenny Phillips with their 2nd rd pick (perfect scenario for them)
-Matt Forte not going in the 2nd

Most importantly:
-Denver selecting Jeff Otah over Chris Williams????
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #11
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by V Man View Post
For some reason I just don't want Talib. Think it is that he is not that fast, and I am tired of seeing Texan DBs running behind the WRs.
I share V Mans sentiments, but I know what my problem with him is.
I got a chance to see the corners perform in the Indy combine (thanks to the NFLNetwork). In the CB drills he looked uncoordinated & undisciplined.
He just looked real ragged when viewed along with the other top corners performing the same drills. I do not see him as a first-round pick.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #12
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That makes two of us. The guy has p-burnt written all over him. If they are going to are going to reach like this with DRC off the board reach for Antwaun Moulden. If you are going to reach for something reach for the numbers not the loose canon. The elite receivers can make a play with one step. this guy can't even get his feet correct running a Jr. high school DB drill.... after eight years ? danger will robinson. He's going to drop like a rock.

Eastern Kentucky CB Antwaun Molden
http://texanstalk.com/forums/showpos...70&postcount=1

We're assumming they'll take him in round three ?

Notice who fell to 37 beerlover ? comes down to how many chips you put on that turf toe.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 04-02-2008 at 01:55 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Texans were middle of the pack in long passes (40+ yards) completed. They were horrible in completion % allowed (31st) and interceptions (tied for last). Basically, the Texans give up too much underneath and can't create turnovers. That's why a physical corner with ball skills like Talib makes sense for the Texans. The Texans need a CB with size to matchup with the larger WRs in the division like Reggie Wayne, Reggie Williams, Jerry Porter, and all of the Titan wideouts.
Old 04-02-2008   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The Texans were middle of the pack in long passes (40+ yards) completed. They were horrible in completion % allowed (31st) and interceptions (tied for last). Basically, the Texans give up too much underneath and can't create turnovers. That's why a physical corner with ball skills like Talib makes sense for the Texans. The Texans need a CB with size to matchup with the larger WRs in the division like Reggie Wayne, Reggie Williams, Jerry Porter, and all of the Titan wideouts.
Talib is not a press corner, he's a cover 2 which is why the Texans have allowed those gawdy numbers. bend but don't break, supposedly

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Talib is not a press corner, he's a cover 2...
Could you explain the difference before I respond?
Old 04-02-2008   #16
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's telling you his foot work is so bad he can't cover anyone out of cover two.
I mean Jordy Nelson of all people 217 ,4.6 somehing, blew by the guy on a simple up and out....I get it. He sucks man on man. That eleven isn't going anywhere if they make that pick. Might as well reach for the third round guy with the numbers. I don't know what his foot work is like. Can't be any worse than Talib's. Out of back peddle Talib is toast.
Old 04-02-2008   #17
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
He's telling you his foot work is so bad he can't cover anyone out of cover two.
I mean Jordy Nelson of all people 217 ,4.6 somehing, blew by the guy on a simple up and out....I get it. He sucks man on man.
That youtube clip is gonna dog Talib the rest of his career. Not that it matters, but every corner in this draft has been burned. That doesn't count if it's not readily available to watch on youtube.

BTW, Talib has a lot of highlights on youtube where he covered receivers and made plays on the ball. And I think Jordy Nelson will become a good #2 WR in this league. But, I'd really like for beerlover to get back to me on the specific question.
Old 04-02-2008   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
he does not have a second gear to recover, which as you say everyone gets beaten, the important thing is how you react. he has to have superior footwork & technique, to compensate he backpeddles early leaving as big of cushion as possible (cover 2 comment) then reacting to read/ball in flight, (more like a nickle back or safety) in single coverage this leads to getting behind & beaten badly without the ability to recover against top caliber speed. Have not seen him mirror/shade receivers movement using fluid hips & fast twitch quickness. this being said I beleive he could make a very good FS, he reads then reacts off the ball to sniff out the run, has the size & nose for the football in space but not as a shutdown cornerback.

http://www.footballtimes.org/Article.asp?ID=167

The CBs play a short zone in the purple zone as above. They do not follow the receivers if they go too deep or too far to the middle. They stay put in their zones.

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 04-02-2008 at 12:50 PM. Reason: background information
Old 04-02-2008   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

one last position presented on my defense (leaving for work) quote from Lance Zierlein-

"The Texans want to be able to press and run but last year they had to play zone because of injuries. Just look out there on the field and you can that; however, I'm not sure what their philosophy is with their safeties. As for their front 4, it looks like they are just playing in the gaps and trying to get upfield. If the Texans offered DRob the type of money Reeves got he would vomit. He will get WAY more money than that and I think the Texans will re-sign him. CBs who would be a good fit would be Jenkins, A Molden and J. King. I'm sure the Texans would want a CB who can tackle. If you see a mock who has the Texans taking Talib at CB, I would strike that one from my mind. There is no way that they are going to want a guy with questionable game speed and who has some character issues".

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootba...oncos_a_m.html

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-02-2008   #20
Lucky

Let's discuss what Talib can do and why I think he would be a good fit here. One, I don't think the Texans are married to a specific coverage package. It's pretty rare for the Texans, or any NFL team, to have a guy in press coverage without help over the top. There's probably fewer than a handful of CBs in the league that can make a living like that. When you see CBs jamming WRs at the line, they usually have help. That's cover 2. You can also run a version of that zone defense with the corner playing about 7 yards off the line. That's the coverage you see the Texans in a bunch, and that's the coverage fans complain about the most.

Talib can play either of those coverages, because he has the size not to get knocked off the line, and the vision to make a play in front of him. That's why Talib would be a good fit here. Maybe not on every team. I see Talib as a bigger Asante Samuel, a real playmaker on the outside. Samuel just got an $80 million contract. All the Texans would have to spend is about $15 million on a deal for the #18 pick.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read