Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-01-2008   #61
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brown and Frye re-signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post
I think after the second or maybe third 80 yard TD the coaches probably would have figured it out.
It was two 82 yard TD passes. Isn't Brown more suited to play SS not FS so him playing out of position could be as much of the problem as anything.
Old 04-01-2008   #62
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
It was two 82 yard TD passes. Isn't Brown more suited to play SS not FS so him playing out of position could be as much of the problem as anything.
I thought it was two but saying three sounded much better so sshhshss.

Quote:
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008   #63
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Im not really impressed with any of the S on our roster and its my favorite position on defense. Exccept for demps

Quote:
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Old 04-01-2008   #64
Polo

Quote:
I think after the second or maybe third 80 yard TD the coaches probably would have figured it out.
Why?

Kubiak an CO. have made bad/less than adequate decisions more than once in the past. Why would this situation be any different...

But afterall the key words in your statement are..."I think"...that sums it up for me....

P.S...it was only two...

Last edited by Polo; 04-01-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-01-2008   #65
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I dont want him to look like an All-Pro I want him or his replacement to be one. How about we get a safety who can actually help our corners over the top.
And to go one step further, how about corners that can run with the WR? Or a Dline that lives up to it's calling. How about linebackers that absolutely closes off the run. We are getting there. We just have to fix the big drips before we do the little ones. You can not always put on an entire new roof. I understand your frustration, but Smithiac does not see the safeties as a dire need. It will be addressed and may have been already. Harrison might be solid. Demps may be all pro for 16 games now he has cast off and is starting.
Old 04-01-2008   #66
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I actually think the Texans biggest problem in pass coverage is the intermediate stuff... 10-15 yards past the LOS...

I'd put that mostly on the corners, nickel back and LB's....

Quote:
Why?

Kubiak an CO. have made bad/less than adequate decisions more than once in the past. Why would this situation be any different...

But afterall the key words in your statement are..."I think"...that sums it up for me....

P.S...it was only two...
LOL..... Nice

There you go.

Quote:
Old 04-01-2008   #67
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
And to go one step further, how about corners that can run with the WR? Or a Dline that lives up to it's calling. How about linebackers that absolutely closes off the run. We are getting there. We just have to fix the big drips before we do the little ones. You can not always put on an entire new roof. I understand your frustration, but Smithiac does not see the safeties as a dire need. It will be addressed and may have been already. Harrison might be solid. Demps may be all pro for 16 games now he has cast off and is starting.
One of my original posts in this thread.

Quote:
That excuse works for every player on the field. Get two good safties and our CB's look good.

Get a good secondary our Dline gets more sacks.

Get a good pass rush our secondary looks good.

blah blah blah, CC brown is not a starting quality SS or FS.
Big Drips. IMO CC is the like a tree branch sticking right threw the roof.

Quote:
Sponsored links
Old 04-01-2008   #68
Polo

Quote:
LOL..... Nice

There you go.
Yeah, no difference in those two statements....

You are brilliant. J/K.
Old 04-01-2008   #69
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Quote:
Yeah, no difference in those two statements....

You are brilliant. J/K.
ME

LOL your the one who destroyed his own post by saying.
Quote:

Quote:
Old 04-01-2008   #70
Polo

Quote:
ME

LOL your the one who destroyed his own post by saying.
Since you don't seem to understand I'll explain the difference in the two statements...

My statement can be looked at and analyzed, and either argued for or against with facts..."I think most passes are completed here"

Your statement is pissing in the wind..."I think they would have/should have thought this"

Yeah...no difference there...

Last edited by Polo; 04-01-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-01-2008   #71
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Quote:
Since you don't seem to understand I'll explain the differene in the two statements...

My statement can be looked at and analyzed, and either argued for or against with facts..."I think most passes are completed here"

Your statement is pissing in the wind..."I think they would have thought this"

Yeah...no difference there...

My post
Quote:
Pretty sure I didnt say
Quote:
I think they would have thought this
Once again I said "I think the coaches would be able to firgure this out."

Meaning if I can (just an average fan) then they should be able to.

You said
Quote:
I actually think the Texans biggest problem in pass coverage is the intermediate stuff... 10-15 yards past the LOS...

I'd put that mostly on the corners, nickel back and LB's....
Now your just an average fan to. Pretty sure you didnt do any (qouting you again)
Quote:
Analyzing
in your accusations that most of our problems are in the intermediate stuff.

P.S. Dont get mad because you made your self look (no name calling) nevermind.

Quote:
Old 04-01-2008   #72
Polo

Brown and Frye re-signed.

Discuss.
Old 04-01-2008   #73
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Found this on the hashmarks blog today and found it interesting:

link: http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks

Why the Colts don't spend big on corners

April 1, 2008 10:21 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando

Colts coach Tony Dungy played defensive back in the NFL, but he would put his money on pass-rushers over cornerbacks every time. "Bill [Polian] and I talk about that," Dungy said from the league meetings in West Palm Beach, Fla. "If you had that choice, you've got to go with the front people because they are harder to find and they have more of an impact on the game."

The Colts are not lavish spenders in free agency. When they do spend big on veteran players, cornerbacks aren't a high priority. Their scheme requires the front four to get pressure, while placing fewer demands on corners in coverage. Oakland, Denver, San Francisco and Green Bay are among the teams that have spent heavily on cornerbacks, with mixed results. The Packers have great depth on their defensive line, a key to their success on that side of the ball.

I think this applies to safeties as well. That philosophy sounds good to me, and based on how Kubiak and Smith have gone about drafting players (Mario and Amobi early, Brandon Harrison and Bennett on the second day) I think they probably ascribe to this as well. If you can provide a great pass rush with your front four, you can get by just fine with average players in your secondary. Jason David looked pretty good back there for them (the Colts) when they won the super bowl, but a year later he was denounced by New Orleans fans for being horrible. How a player performs is quite dependent on the scheme he plays in, and the personnel around him.

That being said, my point is that I think this team's philosophy is to draft and design a defense that can generate pressure with it's front four, and within that frame of mind an average player like CC should be sufficient in his role.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008   #74
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

I think both are good signings, we dont gain anything but we dont lose anything. I firmly believe CC is at least an adequate safety. Now Petey is another story, he is a major weak link.
Old 04-01-2008   #75
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 158369 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I dont want him to look like an All-Pro I want him or his replacement to be one. How about we get a safety who can actually help our corners over the top.
C.C. Brown should never be called upon to be a FREE Safety. IMHO - As a Strong Safety he IS adequate.

If you're asking a SS to play "over the top" more than rarely, your defensive package "sucks".

Think you can find that All-Pro for 1.4 mil, then step up and show Kubiak & Smith how to do it...otherwise re-spewing your venom over & over again in this thread is just ludicrous.

We understand your opinion already, some agree, some disagree. Can we move on?
Old 04-01-2008   #76
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
C.C. Brown should never be called upon to be a FREE Safety. IMHO - As a Strong Safety he IS adequate.

If you're asking a SS to play "over the top" more than rarely, your defensive package "sucks".

Think you can find that All-Pro for 1.4 mil, then step up and show Kubiak & Smith how to do it...otherwise re-spewing your venom over & over again in this thread is just ludicrous.

We understand your opinion already, some agree, some disagree. Can we
move on?
I have said numerious times I agree with the signing. There was no one else to get. Demeco Ryans is All-Pro type of player and he makes around that much per year. Why? Because he was drafted by us. Thats exactly what I want the Texans to do draft a FS in the Second (if we have one by then) or Third round to groom and eventually compete for the starting FS spot. Then we could move Will Demps to SS.

I wouldnt be re-spewing my venom over and over again if people werent qouting me.

Im sick of all of the people making excuses for CC Brown. They sound like Carr lovers. "Its not his fault he plays like crap its the rest of the team."

Quote:
Old 04-01-2008   #77
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
Found this on the hashmarks blog today and found it interesting:

link: http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks

Why the Colts don't spend big on corners

April 1, 2008 10:21 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando
One reason is because they draft the crap out of DBs.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/ful...2200&type=team
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008   #78
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have said numerious times I agree with the signing. There was no one else to get. Demeco Ryans is All-Pro type of player and he makes around that much per year. Why? Because he was drafted by us. Thats exactly what I want the Texans to do draft a FS in the Second (if we have one by then) or Third round to groom and eventually compete for the starting FS spot. Then we could move Will Demps to SS.

I wouldnt be re-spewing my venom over and over again if people werent qouting me.

Im sick of all of the people making excuses for CC Brown. They sound like Carr lovers. "Its not his fault he plays like crap its the rest of the team."
agree, brown looks good in a texan uni "only", wouldn't mind phelps in the draft because he would be an instant upgrade, wouldn't mind a cb with potential to play at safety either, demps was at the right place at the right time
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008   #79
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Deleted.

Last edited by Fox; 04-01-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008   #80
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
One reason is because they draft the crap out of DBs.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/ful...2200&type=team
I think this is a pretty consistent pattern with teams who don't spend a bunch of money at a certain position, they throw lots of bodies at the position through draft picks and priority FAs. Of course, one administation has to be in place long enough for a team to get a pattern as what the position they are going try to fill on the cheap.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read