Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-30-2008   #1
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx
Default Zac Diles

Its been said that he's slotted for the starting LB spot with Ryans and Greenwood. Personally i think he's a little too small to be covering tight ends. But...if Kubes and Smith say he can play.....let him play. I really figured Chaun Thompson would eventually beat him out.
Old 03-30-2008   #2
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Zac Diles

I don't remember anyone saying he was slotted for the starting spot. Everything I've heard points to a fierce position battle between he, Thompson, and Bentley.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008   #3
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

From what i've read it seems he has the football instincts Thompson lacks but Thompson has the measurables that Diles lacks.
Old 03-30-2008   #4
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
From what i've read it seems he has the football instincts Thompson lacks but Thompson has the measurables that Diles lacks.
Yeah. Football speed vs. timed speed is always an issue.
Old 03-30-2008   #5
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think this will be the battle of training camp.... my money is on Bentley.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008   #6
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

He's a player, my money is on Diles, with the others for depth and Thompson playing end on passing downs.
Old 03-31-2008   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
He's a player, my money is on Diles, with the others for depth and Thompson playing end on passing downs.
I agree. I think Kubes really likes Diles. Sort of a Walter thinggie and that worked pretty well last year. Another thing I got wrong. I was not a huge Walter fan. Diles is basically in a no lose situation as he starts or backs ups one of the best MLB in NFL. We have a lot of players going into second year with Texans & I hope we see some growth.
Old 03-31-2008   #8
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I think this will be the battle of training camp.... my money is on Bentley.
OLB and Safety will be fun to watch. Not to mention RG and RB. How about Davis, Walter and Jones at WR? Thats gonna be great too!
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008   #9
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Walter is a lock at the other WR spot. Andre Davis isn't a good blocker, and he's doesn't really do much (as a receiver) other than go deep and stretch the field. Walter is slower, but he's much more of a complete receiver - and his blocking ability is going to be very important to the success of the ZBS.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008   #10
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
Its been said that he's slotted for the starting LB spot with Ryans and Greenwood. Personally i think he's a little too small to be covering tight ends. But...if Kubes and Smith say he can play.....let him play. I really figured Chaun Thompson would eventually beat him out.
I did initially at first, but then I remembered that Denver never has any LBs of great size. All of their LBs are around 6'0" 235 (DJ Williams is the biggest at 6'1" 242). One of the biggest reasons why he has the inside track to start is because he has great instincts and is very intelligent. He does lack the size and isn't incredibly fast, but hopefully his ability and smarts will help make up for that.
Old 03-31-2008   #11
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Walter is a lock at the other WR spot. Andre Davis isn't a good blocker, and he's doesn't really do much (as a receiver) other than go deep and stretch the field. Walter is slower, but he's much more of a complete receiver - and his blocking ability is going to be very important to the success of the ZBS.
Yet, can always get open down the field. I think he may be a Jedi.
Old 03-31-2008   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
I agree. There will designed plays for AD and JJ but the first two guys are AJ and Walter.
Old 03-31-2008   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Many have urged for Demeco to move to OLB & he is 6'2" 236. Morlon is 6'0" and 238. Diles is 6'0" 240 and right in there. Kubes has wanted to get faster & I think he has.
Old 03-31-2008   #14
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Many have urged for Demeco to move to OLB & he is 6'2" 236. Morlon is 6'0" and 238. Diles is 6'0" 240 and right in there. Kubes has wanted to get faster & I think he has.
After what he's done in the middle i wouldnt dare move him. Diles is said not to have good timed speed, but there seems to be a difference between that and football speed. Diles was timed at 4.85 which isnt that hot......

anyone know what demeco did in his 40?
Old 03-31-2008   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
After what he's done in the middle i wouldnt dare move him. Diles is said not to have good timed speed, but there seems to be a difference between that and football speed. Diles was timed at 4.85 which isnt that hot......

Yet his side is where he will have to run back on passing plays. Kubes thinks he can get it done. i hope to see him nail tight ends on short plays. He is alleged to hit like Demeco and DR.
Old 03-31-2008   #16
was385
Rookie

Quote:

Demeco ran a 4.62 40 at the combine.
was385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008   #17
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected
Cool Re: Zac Diles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
i agree with you on that but on the other hand i am a fan of this guy. i feel pretty good going into 2009 wiht the linebacker core that we have. we have great starters and great depth if you ask me.
Old 03-31-2008   #18
Hook'er
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Hook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88 View Post
I did initially at first, but then I remembered that Denver never has any LBs of great size. All of their LBs are around 6'0" 235 (DJ Williams is the biggest at 6'1" 242). One of the biggest reasons why he has the inside track to start is because he has great instincts and is very intelligent. He does lack the size and isn't incredibly fast, but hopefully his ability and smarts will help make up for that.
They actually have him listed as the fastest Inside Linebacker in last years draft. (ESPN Draft Guide 2007)

Zach Diles Kansas State
+Reads plays quickly, and has an explosive first step and can make plays at the line of scrimmage. Closes well and delivers big hits. Good body control and wraps up on contact. Can slip blockers in space and has unlimited range. Plays with nonstop motor. Gets good depth on zone drops. Changes direction quickly and burst out of cuts.
-Undersized and gets ingulfed at times. Wears down in every-down role. Plays too high and can get driven back. Doesn't use hands well, lacks upper body strenght and takes too long to shed blocks. Avoids blockers instead of stacking them up, overruns holes and gets caught out of position. Doesn't show a variety of pass-rush moves or the lower-body strenght to push blockers back into the QB.
Old 03-31-2008   #19
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'er View Post
They actually have him listed as the fastest Inside Linebacker in last years draft. (ESPN Draft Guide 2007)

Zach Diles Kansas State
+Reads plays quickly, and has an explosive first step and can make plays at the line of scrimmage. Closes well and delivers big hits. Good body control and wraps up on contact. Can slip blockers in space and has unlimited range. Plays with nonstop motor. Gets good depth on zone drops. Changes direction quickly and burst out of cuts.
-Undersized and gets ingulfed at times. Wears down in every-down role. Plays too high and can get driven back. Doesn't use hands well, lacks upper body strenght and takes too long to shed blocks. Avoids blockers instead of stacking them up, overruns holes and gets caught out of position. Doesn't show a variety of pass-rush moves or the lower-body strenght to push blockers back into the QB.
Nothing says he's lacking in the speed dept. Maybe he's quicker then we think. Undersized i can live with....slow i cannot.
Old 03-31-2008   #20
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'er View Post

Zach Diles Kansas State
The plusses and negatives seem somewhat contradictory to me. There's another Zach that had some of these same things written about him....Zach Thomas. I'm of the opinion that Kubes is going to stick to his word and put the best players on the field, regardless of draft position, etc. Him and Smith are proving to be excellent talent evaluators.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read