Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-29-2008   #1
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14555 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans to look at Brian Johnston

He looks like an interesting prospect. Anyone see him play, or know anything about him?

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Texans | Team to meet with B. Johnston
Fri, 28 Mar 2008 10:36:28 -0700

Josh Buchanan, of NFLDraftBible.com, reports Gardner-Webb DL Brian Johnston will be visiting the Houston Texans in the upcoming weeks.

http://condraft.com/profile.php?id=961

Overview Brian Johnston 2007 is the Big South Defensive Player of the Year: just the second repeat winner of the Big South Defensive Player of the Year award, as he was the 2006 honoree. Johnston was a finalist for the Buck Buchanan Award and was the lone FCS player named to the Ted Hendricks National Defensive End of the Year Award Watch List this season. Johnston led the Big South and finished second nationally in tackles-for-loss per game (2.18), and posted a Big South single-season record of 24.0 TFL. He also recorded six sacks (second in the Conference) while making 74 tackles on the season. He had seven games with at least 2.0 TFL, including five games with three-or-more, and had 12.5 TFL in four League games. He is a promising prospect with above average size, strength and upfield explosiveness. Is the best defensive prospect in the conference and could be as good or better than Justin Smith if he maxes out.

Strengths Good sized DE, has decent athletic ability. Good against the run and pass. Good enough athlete to have started as a Frosh at SLB, and caught a 3 yard touchdown pass this season. Has benched 450, squatted 505,

Weaknesses Has been able to use raw strength and speed to overwhelm opponents, he does not have a polished array of moves. Has short arms. 31.75 inches, for such a rangy athlete and needs to work on getting underneath the quicker footed OTs he'll face at the next level.

Projection A possible 6th or even a 5th rounder. If he can get stronger and keep his speed and quickness he could be a real find on day 2. It's not impossible a team could try him as a 3-4 OLB but he is not used to being in space.

The Texan Question Marks
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008   #2
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14555 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans to look at Brian Johnston

He seems to be creating quite a buzz around the league.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

NFL | B. Johnston receiving interest around NFL
Fri, 28 Mar 2008 10:13:45 -0700

Josh Buchanan, of NFLDraftBible.com, reports that Gardner-Webb DL Brian Johnston is creating a huge buzz among NFL teams. One AFC team has said they hope he is still around when they select early in the fourth round of the NFL Draft.

The Texan Question Marks
Old 03-29-2008   #3
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

In the beginning of the season, I was not so high on him. But I watched him play two games, and Dang. This guy would be a steal in the 4th. The more I look at him, the more I like. Size, explosion, strength, he has it all. 6'5", around 280 and he runs a 4.66. 10 yard split of 1.51, and a 20 split of 2.66. Even his 3 cone is sick, 6.96. A 35 inch vertical. Those are Mario numbers (almost)

His play on the field is equally impressive.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008   #4
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4378 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

How is his motor? I think the DL is sorely lacking a high motor lunchpail overachiever type who lifts up the play of those around him. I like Chris Harrington to fill that role but this guy sounds much more physically impressive if he's got the intangibles to go with the measurables.
Old 03-29-2008   #5
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I only saw two games, but to me it looked like he gave good effort. He never gave up, that I saw.
Old 03-29-2008   #6
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
How is his motor? I think the DL is sorely lacking a high motor lunchpail overachiever type who lifts up the play of those around him. I like Chris Harrington to fill that role but this guy sounds much more physically impressive if he's got the intangibles to go with the measurables.
The fact that they compare him favorably to Justin Smith tells me a lot about his perceived potential. It's nice to know that the team is looking for options to replace Weaver.

In fact, I'm going to say that Weaver will be a June 1st cut when it's all said & done.

The Texan Question Marks
Old 03-29-2008   #7
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
In fact, I'm going to say that Weaver will be a June 1st cut when it's all said & done.
Weaver's contract is a nightmare. (Thanks, Charlie for that last ghost of your regime.) Cutting him may not make financial sense, June 1st or not.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-30-2008   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

seems like tweener (Babin) caught between a 4-3 DE & a 3-4 OLB. I'm not in favor of reaching at all

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 102976 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
seems like tweener (Babin) caught between a 4-3 DE & a 3-4 OLB.
Johnston came into his pro day at 6'5" 274 lbs. How does that seem like a tweener?
Old 03-30-2008   #10
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4378 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Johnston came into his pro day at 6'5" 274 lbs. How does that seem like a tweener?
I do not know either. Sounds like optimum measurables for a DE to me.
Old 03-30-2008   #11
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
The fact that they compare him favorably to Justin Smith tells me a lot about his perceived potential. It's nice to know that the team is looking for options to replace Weaver.

Smells like they are setting up to get someone in house to dove tail into an '09 move though. They are not going to eat that contract. Wever is functional. Net zero sum gain cutting he guy this off seaon. This HC does not throw his veterans under the bus. at let he hasn't done it yet. I don't know this guy...sounds reasonable. Tommy Blake as a free agent sounds reasonable. If all four top OLT are off the board... seems logical it'll be CB or they'll move back.
Seattle wants Stewart...you pull the trigger and move back.
Old 03-30-2008   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

for one he is a converted LB. also seems he is a weight room warrior & bulked up 45 pounds which makes me wonder about his natural athletic ability. He's from a small school so when he elevates his competition scouts feel he could struggle on the line & have difficulty with seperation. The high motor (where have I heard that before ) & fact he has already been projected as a 5th/6th rd developmental pick but because of his impressive Pro-Day some team will want to spend a 4th or 3rd pick on the guy, please, no thanks I'll pass. sure it helps but you can't just say because he is 6-5 270 runs a 4.7 he can play DE in the NFL, there's alot more to it than that.

Our ideal DE prospect should be a raw, natural athlete to mold possessing inate pass rushing skills (not focused on measureables) the ability to take angles, move naturally in space, create sepeartion via combination of technique, playmaking agility (similar to great athletes in other sports like basketball) key's reaction time & quick-twitch muscle dexterity. RDE takes a great natural athlete with intincts you don't add that in the weight room. The Tweener works his butt off to become somthing but is not a natural, thus becomes a system fit & while he might posses the measureables he lacks & always will lack those natural intincts for the position hence I feel in Brians case becomes a situational rusher or hybrid OLB

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-30-2008   #13
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Quote:
for one he is a converted LB. also seems he is a weight room warrior & bulked up 45 pounds which makes me wonder about his natural athletic ability. He's from a small school so when he elevates his competition scouts feel he could struggle on the line & have difficulty with seperation. The high motor (where have I heard that before ) & fact he has already been projected as a 5th/6th rd developmental pick but because of his impressive Pro-Day some team will want to spend a 4th or 3rd pick on the guy, please, no thanks I'll pass. sure it helps but you can't just say because he is 6-5 270 runs a 4.7 he can play DE in the NFL, there's alot more to it than that.

Our ideal DE prospect should be a raw, natural athlete to mold possessing inate pass rushing skills (not focused on measureables) the ability to take angles, move naturally in space, create sepeartion via combination of technique, playmaking agility (similar to great athletes in other sports like basketball) key's reaction time & quick-twitch muscle dexterity. RDE takes a great natural athlete with intincts you don't add that in the weight room. The Tweener works his butt off to become somthing but is not a natural, thus becomes a system fit & while he might posses the measureables he lacks & always will lack those natural intincts for the position hence I feel in Brians case becomes a situational rusher or hybrid OLB
You have a very strong argument for your position, but the Texan's must feel he's got enough potential at DE to be worth taking a long look at.

The Texan Question Marks
Old 03-30-2008   #14
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:

I know this not exactly the same situation, but one could make the case that the Texans took Mario first overall because of his size and workout numbers. Johnston is athletic enough. Thats what pro days are, a way to measure athletisicm.
Old 03-30-2008   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

I'm probably suffering post tramatic Babinism

Wish the NFL Network was around in 06 then we all could have actually seen Marios workout looking at his combine #'s there has never been a more impressive workout, but they also focused on game tape & flashes of greatness you could see on film.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-31-2008   #16
rmartin65
I'm Score

Just thought this was interesting. It is not all on Johnston, but it has a paragraph.

http://http://www.nfldraftbible.com/...d_fallers.html
Old 03-31-2008   #17
Polo

Quote:
I'm probably suffering post tramatic Babinism

Wish the NFL Network was around in 06 then we all could have actually seen Marios workout looking at his combine #'s there has never been a more impressive workout, but they also focused on game tape & flashes of greatness you could see on film.
I saw Mario on the NFL network in 06...

Don't remember seeing his workouts, but I do remember him in the machine that measures body fat% and I remember him getting weighed in...
Old 03-31-2008   #18
markn
Veteran

Rep Power: 10182 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

Was always a Bon Scott man myself.
markn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read