Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-29-2008   #21
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are we too concentrated on the QB position?.......

clockNNNdagger, you'll get no arguement from me. Gibbs will be key in the develpment of the line & running attact, but I still want Rick calling the shots, I'm hoping he's around here for a long, long, long time. its one month away from the draft so its still early to get overally excited about our 1st pick but I'm getting a feeling young Branden Alberts is going to be the portector for Schaub http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...arch&plindex=0

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008   #22
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Watching footage of Albert and of Williams (on NFLFN's coverage of combine) I sorta' favor Albert myself. Just watching the guys do the same drills, Albert looks better.
Old 03-29-2008   #23
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165649 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Watching footage of Albert and of Williams (on NFLFN's coverage of combine) I sorta' favor Albert myself. Just watching the guys do the same drills, Albert looks better.
Are you all speaking of Albert as LT (he's been a guard), or are you saying who will be more protective of our QB????????
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008   #24
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 192005 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
I would be interested to see the location the "hit on throw/after throw" came from. they probably don't record that info though.
It's in the CNNSI split stats All the way down at the bottom:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...ng_splits.html
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008   #25
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165649 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I see now where they may him projected as an NFL LT...........he played 2 games for Va. at LT

His NFL draft profile is pretty impressive (Look at the OVERVIEW and ANALYSIS)
Old 03-29-2008   #26
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Are you all speaking of Albert as LT (he's been a guard), or are you saying who will be more protective of our QB????????
yes & yes.

#1 has the skill set to kick out to LT
#2 excellent fit for zbs
#3 extends blocking scheme to 2nd level, seals off edge or inside
#4 excellent character, no blemishes, clean
#5 adds versatiltiy to OL
#6 grades out higher than any OL currently on Texans roster
#7 has Amobi Okoye upside
#8 perfect timing to take a franchise tackle cornerstone
#9 Gibbs will only enhance his game
#10 Schaub will be less likely to get injured again

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-29-2008   #27
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm impressed with Albert too, but do you guys really think we will use our only draft choice in the first day on a transition (ACC Guard to NFL LT) OL. I understand that he is talented, but we don't have the luxury of taking him.

Corner is by far our weakest position on this football team. Imagine if we pass on a corner in the first and they start flying off the board before we can make a selection in the 3rd round. It could easily happen, there are alot of corners graded for the 2nd round (Justin King, Brandon Flowers, Terrell Thomas, Patrick Lee, Tracy Porter, Charles Godfrey). Then you've also got guys like Cason and Reggie Smith who could fall into that second round.

Day 2 starts and you've got alot of teams that select before us that will need secondary help (Saints, Dolphins, Cheifs, Broncos, Falcons, Panthers). What makes it even worse is that we don't pick until the second half of the 3rd round, so we could be forced to look at players with 4th round grades when it's finally our turn to pick again.

Do you trade up to try and get that guy you were targeting if you see this kind of behavior in the 2nd round? I don't think we can put ourselves in that kind of position. Why not just take care of our biggest need with our highest pick? We will have alot of talent to choose from. We will also have alot of talent in the OL to choose from come 3rd and 4th round.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-29-2008   #28
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 164018 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

ummm... what was the original question?

ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008   #29
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I'm impressed with Albert too, but do you guys really think we will use our only draft choice in the first day on a transition (ACC Guard to NFL LT) OL. I understand that he is talented, but we don't have the luxury of taking him.
Corner is by far our weakest position on this football team. Imagine if we pass on a corner in the first and they start flying off the board before we can make a selection in the 3rd round. It could easily happen, there are alot of corners graded for the 2nd round (Justin King, Brandon Flowers, Terrell Thomas, Patrick Lee, Tracy Porter, Charles Godfrey). Then you've also got guys like Cason and Reggie Smith who could fall into that second round.

Day 2 starts and you've got alot of teams that select before us that will need secondary help (Saints, Dolphins, Cheifs, Broncos, Falcons, Panthers). What makes it even worse is that we don't pick until the second half of the 3rd round, so we could be forced to look at players with 4th round grades when it's finally our turn to pick again.

Do you trade up to try and get that guy you were targeting if you see this kind of behavior in the 2nd round? I don't think we can put ourselves in that kind of position. Why not just take care of our biggest need with our highest pick? We will have alot of talent to choose from. We will also have alot of talent in the OL to choose from come 3rd and 4th round.
Albert would most likely be the SAFEST pick at 18. Reason being if he doesn't work out at LT he's probably the closest thing to a lock in this draft to work out at RG. The spots on the OL that are not locked down are LT and RG. By drafting Albert you get one of those spots locked down for the next decade. I'd gladly make that pick everytime

How many CBs do you project to have as high of a floor as Albert at 18?
Old 03-29-2008   #30
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Don't know if I could answer that question. Two totally different positions.

I can't really see us picking a guy to play guard in the first round. Maybe if we had a second rounder, but we don't. The problem I have with the selection is that he doesn't have much experience at the position we need him at. I'm hoping to get an impact player with out first rounder, it would be sad to see the guy sit on the bench behind Salaam for most of the year if he had a hard time picking up the position and the system.

As far as corners with alot of promise, there are alot of them. But you don't just pick for high ceiling, we need a corner who can play right away, and there are a couple of those, with alot of playmaking ability, that should be there at #18 as well.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008   #31
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm more concerned with how our OLs fit into the ZBS.

Watching Albert, it just seems that he "looks" better than Williams. I don't doubt that Williams is good--he IS good--but Albert just, for some reason, looks like the better of the two (to me).
Old 03-29-2008   #32
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Veteran

TexansSeminole in regardes to Albert he HAS played in the Al Groh WCS while at UVA. Even his coach has gone on record saying he does'nt like his players leaving school early BUT in Alberts case the kid is ready for the NFL.

The other thing I keep thinging is the Kubes and Smith seem to have a real good eye for talent in the later rounds, last year we got a CB in the 3RD that ended up starting by the end of the season.(true it was due to injuries but still)

All I'm trying to say is THIS is the draft to get a O-linemen. DRAFT Albert if he's there at 18.
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008   #33
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry View Post
TexansSeminole in regardes to Albert he HAS played in the Al Groh WCS while at UVA. Even his coach has gone on record saying he does'nt like his players leaving school early BUT in Alberts case the kid is ready for the NFL.

The other thing I keep thinging is the Kubes and Smith seem to have a real good eye for talent in the later rounds, last year we got a CB in the 3RD that ended up starting by the end of the season.(true it was due to injuries but still)

All I'm trying to say is THIS is the draft to get a O-linemen. DRAFT Albert if he's there at 18.
your the man I could not agree more.

correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Bennett aquired in last years 4th rd. EVEN AFTER TRADING DOWN A FEW SPOTS

elite linemen are a rare commodity, something that will enhance our QB's health & longevity

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-29-2008   #34
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Veteran

No Beerlover I'm not the man. Just live in Va so I'm current on ACC and CAA teams in my area.

That said some of my Favs. this year:
Brandon Flowers- Kid can flat out play
Brandon Albert- Luv the kids attitude and work ethics.
Chris Long- Dude is Baaaaad
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008   #35
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Exactly. We used to have this argument with folks who accused our O-line of not giving the departed one enough time to throw. I started timing QBs (DVRs are sooo wonderful) and from snap to release the average time is 2.5 to 3.5 seconds. If a QB gets more time than that either he's scrambling or the defense is only rushing 3 guys.

Also, as Arlington said, the biggest part of getting rid of the ball in a timely fashion is the QB's ability to make a pre-snap read. If the QB has an idea who's going to be open - or at least who'll be single covered - before the ball is snapped, then the chances of the play being successful goes waaay up.
Carr gave new meaning to the 3 step "drop." Schaub and Rosenfels (correct me if I am wrong) have also used the 3 step drop, but successfully. However, for deeper routes ala curls, come backs, down and out and deep routes, 5 step (and sometimes 7 step) drops are necessary. What has your experience shown these important plays in the regular repertoire of succesful teams to be taking time wise?
Old 03-29-2008   #36
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 192005 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Carr gave new meaning to the 3 step "drop." Schaub and Rosenfels (correct me if I am wrong) have also used the 3 step drop, but successfully. However, for deeper routes ala curls, come backs, down and out and deep routes, 5 step (and sometimes 7 step) drops are necessary. What has your experience shown these important plays in the regular repertoire of succesful teams to be taking time wise?
I'll tell you what, a couple of years ago, everyone was talking about how we used the 3 step drops to get the ball out of the QB's hands quickly because of how bad our line was. But I sat down and analyzed several games and the meat and potatoes of our passing game was 5 step drops. That was with HWWNBN behind the center.

At the beginning of last year, I did the same thing with Schaub, and the distribution of drops was similar but not the same. Mostly 5 steps, roughly equal with 3 and 7 stop drops, 4-5 naked boots, and a couple of 1 step drops. However, we used the shotgun last year which we didn't see the year before. (Strangely, Matt is best in the I-back formation while Sage is the worst in that formation. Also, Sage had a better QB rating against the blitz, which I found interesting.)

But anyway, that would lead me to believe that the 3.5 seconds is for a 5 step drop.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008   #37
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I'll tell you what, a couple of years ago, everyone was talking about how we used the 3 step drops to get the ball out of the QB's hands quickly because of how bad our line was. But I sat down and analyzed several games and the meat and potatoes of our passing game was 5 step drops. That was with HWWNBN behind the center.

At the beginning of last year, I did the same thing with Schaub, and the distribution of drops was similar but not the same. Mostly 5 steps, roughly equal with 3 and 7 stop drops, 4-5 naked boots, and a couple of 1 step drops. However, we used the shotgun last year which we didn't see the year before. (Strangely, Matt is best in the I-back formation while Sage is the worst in that formation. Also, Sage had a better QB rating against the blitz, which I found interesting.)

But anyway, that would lead me to believe that the 3.5 seconds is for a 5 step drop.
3-step would be akin to a change-up in baseball, you only use it to keep your opponent off balance so you can use your fastball (5-step) as your bread & butter

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-30-2008   #38
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 164018 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

I agree; 3-3.5 seconds from snap to release is about average for a 5-step drop.

Elite guys like Favre, Manning, and Brady seem to get more time because they have excellent pocket footwork. Neither of those guys is gonna outrun anybody. But they are excellent in feeling pressure and making a step up or a couple of steps left or right to extend the play by another half second or second - all while keeping their eyes downfield. Another thing too, that bit of movement also helps your line recover from whiffs, stunts, or just flat getting beat.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008   #39
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Some good info by Pencil Neck and ObsiWan.........as always
Old 03-30-2008   #40
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Albert would most likely be the SAFEST pick at 18. Reason being if he doesn't work out at LT he's probably the closest thing to a lock in this draft to work out at RG. The spots on the OL that are not locked down are LT and RG. By drafting Albert you get one of those spots locked down for the next decade. I'd gladly make that pick everytime

IMO you nailed down my opinion on taking Alberts. With Weary not looking like he's going to get resigned and McKinney released I think you have to wonder if they think Brisiel is the guy they want starting. IF Charles Spencer makes it back do they kick him inside or is he still able to compete for the LT spot?

Is Alberts a LT? I don't know. But for sure I agree if nothing else you get a lock down at RG. I think this is setting up for us to take OL or CB with our first unless a darkhorse candidate like Harvey or Campbell. I'm hoping Williams falls.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read