Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-27-2008   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Your focus this TC?

What Texans currently on roster will you focus on in TC? Don't just say the new guys and last year's FA and draft picks in general. Who and why?

1. Ahmad Green: I think he will be gone by June 1 cuts, but he was signed for a reason. If he comes back healthy and looks good in practise, I may be in for a rude awakening.
2.Jacoby Jones: will we see the thrill of pre-injury rookie this season?
3. Brandon Harrison: safety of the future?
4. Travis Johnson: another year of improvement or does he slide backwards?
Old 03-27-2008   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Your focus this TC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
What Texans currently on roster will you focus on in TC? Don't just say the new guys and last year's FA and draft picks in general. Who and why?

1. Ahmad Green: I think he will be gone by June 1 cuts, but he was signed for a reason. If he comes back healthy and looks good in practise, I may be in for a rude awakening.
2.Jacoby Jones: will we see the thrill of pre-injury rookie this season?
3. Brandon Harrison: safety of the future?
4. Travis Johnson: another year of improvement or does he slide backwards?
I'm sure your going to get alot of this and I am just hoping to be the first.

Make sure that you keep an eye on AhmaN Green while your checking out AhmaD Green.

To the topic, I want to check out Chris Brown because I think he can do some damage in this offense and I want to see how Freddy B does in his second TC.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Amobi Okoye- want to see if he makes that 2nd year jump in performance like Mario Williams did last year, if he does look out. you know I can't help but mention the draft but two of the top 7 NFL prospects are similar to Amobi they being Sedric Ellis & Glenn Dorsey. teams are even thinking about trading up (Ravens, Bengals, Saints & Bills) into the top 5 or 6 to address this need position, just makes me very thankful that somehow Amobi slippped to the Texans @ #10 last draft. I'll be following him most closely

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #4
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Its all Defense for me.

See if Amobi makes the big leap....him and Mario on one side = Ouch

Fred Bennett-See how he does as a full year starter.

Oh yea lets see if Demps can repeat is "Pro Bowl Alternate" performance last year.
Old 03-27-2008   #5
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 133123 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I do want to hear about
Okoye. I am curious on how a Texan Offseason did for him in terms of strength or quickness or whatever and if he has grown what is he now 20? or 21? and if he can take a 2nd year leap like Mario did

Speaking of Mario.. WE, as Texans need to see him with a motor. I am not bashing Mario, but I think most of us think we need to see about the same kind of production out of him if not more .. mainly what I'd like to see is consistency. From what I have read he is still working hard in the offseason and that is great.. I want him to become dominant because for every thing he does (see my signature that I got from a draft thread)

Weaver... we need to see some run stopping/pass stopping skills from him esp with Mario playing the way he played last season

TJ: need him too, to play well

OL: I need to see them gel and hope to see them improve during the season on short yardage situation and GET AND STAY HEALTHY

rb: SEE ABOVE (except for the gelling part)
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #6
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I'll be watching the O-line very closely. I am excited to see what Gibbs can bring to the team. I'm also interested in watching Okoye's progress.
Old 03-27-2008   #7
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 133123 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I'll be watching the O-line very closely. I am excited to see what Gibbs can bring to the team. .
me too both lines

DL esp since the Texans have invested high draft picks and money(weaver) to this group
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-27-2008   #8
Lucky

Rep Power: 208260 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I'll be watching the O-line very closely. I am excited to see what Gibbs can bring to the team. I'm also interested in watching Okoye's progress.
I'll be interested in how some of the vets like Pitts & Salaam take to Gibbs coaching. I doubt we'll see much cut blocking in training camp. Right?

I'd like to see the defensive brain trust derive a scheme where Okoye and Mario get man blocking more often. Maybe move them around prior to the snap to disguise the pass rush. That would really help whatever makeshift secondary they come up with.
Old 03-27-2008   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

the development of the running game, the defensive scheme and the zone coverages get now that Rhodes is here, what is the o-line gonna look like on opening day, and is starting Bennett and a lesser CB as your starting tandem a recipe for disaster?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #10
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Chris Brown and Taylor. The running backs in general, will they be healthy, how will they perform in Gibb's system?

The OL and Gibb's system. Much is expected in the run game. I want to see how productive it is and how good will the pass protection be?

Amobi's progress, as previoulsy stated by others.

The whole defense in general. I want to see if the D-Line can play up to what I think they are capable, I am talking domination. We need to get Demeco some help at LB. And the secondary's improvement with Ray Rhodes in there and us getting back some of our injured DB's. How will they respond to the injuries?

Sage Rosenfels. Will he or will he not be on the team by then?
Old 03-27-2008   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm with Vinny in that comment about the running game. I don't believe that anything else that happens this year will be as significant or make as big a difference as the running game under coach Gibbs. It's going to change everything I think. A good running game can make such an enormous difference to a football team. The passing game gets better, the defense gets better. You hold on to the ball, grind out long drives, and eat up the clock and your defense gets a lot better without even being on the field. If Okoye improves like we expect him to and Mario keeps it up then we just might be looking at a really good team next year.
Old 03-27-2008   #12
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

For me, definitely the ZBS/O-lineman, Okoye, Ahman Green - who I think can still do some serious damage if healthy, but if my aunt were my uncle...

Also - Jacoby Jones. After his arrest and sub-par regular season (as compared to his pre-season), I want to see how he reacts and what he's made of.

The position battle that will presumably be between Bently, Thompson, and Diles.

Glenn Earl. I really thought he was coming into his own before he got hurt.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
Chris Brown and Taylor. The running backs in general, will they be healthy, how will they perform in Gibb's system?

The OL and Gibb's system. Much is expected in the run game. I want to see how productive it is and how good will the pass protection be?

Amobi's progress, as previoulsy stated by others.

The whole defense in general. I want to see if the D-Line can play up to what I think they are capable, I am talking domination. We need to get Demeco some help at LB. And the secondary's improvement with Ray Rhodes in there and us getting back some of our injured DB's. How will they respond to the injuries?

Sage Rosenfels. Will he or will he not be on the team by then?
On a side note, if defense is healthy and does not seem to make progress how long can Richard Smith hold the reins? I know it will be at least 3 games into season.
Old 03-27-2008   #14
TexansMVP
Probowler

All this talk of Amobi made me kind of curious, but if he was in the draft this year, where do you think he would rank compared to Dorsey or Ellis?

Amobi is definitely the person I am looking forward to watching next year...he tease all of us with his first half of the season performance. If he can sustain that intensity throughout the whole year the kid will be a freakin beast.
TexansMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #15
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansMVP View Post
All this talk of Amobi made me kind of curious, but if he was in the draft this year, where do you think he would rank compared to Dorsey or Ellis?

Amobi is definitely the person I am looking forward to watching next year...he tease all of us with his first half of the season performance. If he can sustain that intensity throughout the whole year the kid will be a freakin beast.
i'd put him right behind dorsey....He'd still be younger then both of those guys by 2 years.
Old 03-27-2008   #16
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Won't be at TC but during the preseason:

1: to see if Mario still has the fire lit under him.

2:to see how much Amobi's improved.

3: How the secondary gonna be shaping up.

4: How schaub is looking; eg. little more comfort in the system.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #17
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Matt Schaub. Can he be what we want him to be? Can he consistently be the QB he was at the beginning of last season?
Old 03-27-2008   #18
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

1. I'm looking at the youngsters that didn't get a real chance last year to see if they bloom this year. ...or will they get bumped out by this year's draftees?
- Brandon Harrison
- Brandon Mitchell
- Brandon Frye
- Kasey Studdard
- Shane Boyd

2. I'm waiting to see if Charles Spencer is anywhere near being back to the Big Nasty he started out to be.

3. Matt Schaub just had shoulder surgery. Will he be 100%? Is that the real reason we picked up Quinn Gray, just in case Matt's arm strength dropped off significantly...?

4. And will we finally dump Jordan Black?

5. Will we carry 3 RBs and 2 FBs or 4 RBs and 1 FB? In other words, will we carry Jameel Cook or Darius Walker as the fifth back?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansMVP View Post

Amobi Okoye is almost two years younger than either Sedric or Glenn. his combine numbers last year (which is three years ahead of Ellis or Dorsey) are better than both-

Amobi Okoye, 6-2 302 5.07 forty (down field speed) 1.65 10 yd (shows burst) 7.46 3-cone (cmparable to a QB in scramble mode) & 29 reps (strength lifting 225 lbs.)

Glenn Dorsey, 6-2 297 5.12, 1.74, 7.52, 27 reps
Sedric Ellis, 6-1 309 5.26, 1.75, 7.78, 35 reps

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #20
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Amobi Okoye is almost two years younger than either Sedric or Glenn. his combine numbers last year (which is three years ahead of Ellis or Dorsey) are better than both-

Amobi Okoye, 6-2 302 5.07 forty (down field speed) 1.65 10 yd (shows burst) 7.46 3-cone (cmparable to a QB in scramble mode) & 29 reps (strength lifting 225 lbs.)

Glenn Dorsey, 6-2 297 5.12, 1.74, 7.52, 27 reps
Sedric Ellis, 6-1 309 5.26, 1.75, 7.78, 35 reps
35?? Wow

Dorsey seems to have better use of his hands/leverage when he plays. Nothing that amobi cant be taught.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read