Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-26-2008   #1
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 51 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected
Default If it came down to Jenkins or Albert?

I think I would go with Jenkins because he would be less of a reach.
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If it came down to Jenkins or Albert?

interesting question.......

I like the fact both Gibbs & Rhodes are on board with their expereince Rick & Gary would surely make the right choice.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #3
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Good question- I'm still just wondering about Jenkins though. All I hear is he isn't committed to tackling and is poor at it. I don't know if we'd like to spend the 18th on that. And Alberts, I really like. It will be interesting what Gibbs has to say about our current OL situation and how "deep" this class is.

If it came to that, I'd be fine with whichever they take. I really have a lot of trust in this current staff. If the pick is Jenkins, It'd be telling me that Kubiak and Smith may like some OL guys in the 3rd/4th that would fit in perfect. It'd also be saying that CB is still a high priority and that Jenkins could become our #1- we'd have a much improved secondary, esp. if Dunta comes back fully healthy to take over the #2 spot. Reeves and Bennett would be solid to have behind Jenkins/Robinson.

If the pick is Albert, It'd tell me that Kubiak and Gibbs think they have a future HOF or pro bowl Offensive lineman. We desperately need to protect Schaub better and get better at opening holes for our RB's. Gibbs is one part of the solution- them taking albert would tell me we're going to have a top 5 OL in a couple years!

Last edited by Ole Miss Texan; 03-26-2008 at 08:56 PM.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #4
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Albert because he's got all pro potential, I dont think Jenkins has that same ability.
Old 03-26-2008   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Albert because he's got all pro potential, I dont think Jenkins has that same ability.
he has the ability its more a concern of fullfilling that potential

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-26-2008   #6
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

i would be very disappointed in either of these choices.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
i would be very disappointed in either of these choices.
I second that. Per thread if it had to be, I'd go Jenkins as I see Albert as a maybe LT and I think we are ok at guard.
Old 03-26-2008   #8
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35118 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I second that. Per thread if it had to be, I'd go Jenkins as I see Albert as a maybe LT and I think we are ok at guard.
if we draft him, its so we can move him over to T.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #9
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Brandon Albert, no question.
Old 03-26-2008   #10
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Kind of like the idea of Albert (I think I would prefer Williams). Seems to have a fairly high floor---wind up with a really good guard if he doen't work out at LT---or get a franchise LT on the upper limit. Odds of him not working out at one of those is pretty small IMO. Granted, you would not normaly go out to pick a real good guard at 18, but that is probably the stop loss limit on him.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #11
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Jenkins easily. Albert is a guard, and I think if you're going to draft a guy to move over a position, you should really do it with your later round picks, not with your first.

Plus, Jenkins is probably the best corner available in the draft (IMHO) and draftniks can refute me all they want, but he was the consensus #1 CB pick way before McKelvin and DRC became the hot commodities.
Old 03-26-2008   #12
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure they would go with either one of these, but if I had to choose, I'd say Albert. Jenkins had a good Combine and will be one of the top CB's in the Draft, but according to WalterFootball.com, he was arrested last spring for fighting outside a bar. No charges were filed, but I don't think the Texans would take a chance on him given their past record with these kinds of players. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #13
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Some background on Albert that may illuminate the possibility of him playing tackle despite being a guard at college.

He was a very obscure recruit (two-stars on Rivals) when he verballed to UVA out of high school. He was better known as a basketball player at the time.

Albert prepped for a year (Hargrave), playing LT, where he astonished everyone--his coach there said he was among the best OL he's ever seen. After his prep year, he was a four-star prospect (for all that's worth), but he never waivered from his commitment to UVA despite the increased attention.

UVA recruited him to play tackle, but, in his freshman year, the Hoos had D'Brickashaw Ferguson at LT and another senior, long-time starter at RT. For all his accolades in prep school, Albert was not the most hyped LT recruit in his class--Eugene Monroe from New Jersey was a top 15 overall recruit that year. The coaches really wanted them to see the field from the start, but with the tackle spots locked down that first year, both were tried at guard. Albert won that battle with ease (Monroe is a pure tackle), so he started from the beginning of that year.

A few games into the season, Ferguson got hurt. Rather than weaken two positions by moving Albert, the coaches plugged in Monroe at LT next to Albert. From that point on, Monroe was set at LT while Albert was LG. Maybe Albert was the superior LT, but the line performed better with him playing next to Monroe.

Monroe got hurt and missed two games last year--wins over Middle Tennessee and Pitt--so Albert was moved to LT. Albert seemed to acquit himself well (though I didn't watch either game--screw ESPN-U), though he was not facing future NFL pass rushers in those games.

BOTTOM LINE: Albert was a tackle until UVA switched him to guard to get him on the field. There is certainly a question as to how quickly he will be able to convert back to being a LT at this level after having not played the position much for the last three years.

Last edited by Hooston Texan; 04-01-2008 at 04:34 PM. Reason: To correct the school where Albert prepped. It was Hargrave, not Fork Union.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #14
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Albert. Our Dline is above average. Lets try to help the oline.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
if we draft him, its so we can move him over to T.
That's my point. He is a good guard but I am not sold on him at LT. Just a feeling. Anyway, no at #18.
Old 03-27-2008   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
He is a good guard but I am not sold on him at LT. Just a feeling. Anyway, no at #18.

verifying your feeling-

I'm not impressed with his body type for the LT position. I also don't like projecting him to a different position than he specialized in College. seems like a reach even though he is an excellent OL prospect.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-01-2008   #17
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
verifying your feeling-

I'm not impressed with his body type for the LT position. I also don't like projecting him to a different position than he specialized in College. seems like a reach even though he is an excellent OL prospect.
Not arguing with you or any of the Gibbs' walks the water crowd with the late round picks....what I will say is alberts will give them two guys....no matter what position he plays, who can get into space and knock someone in the dirt. If he makes the flip to OLT...fine....if he can't we just got a bragin high end gaurd who rolls folks...conistantly.... on the second level...we can always use that.
Old 04-01-2008   #18
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I would go with Jenkins. I still beleive he is the best corner in the draft. McKelvin and DRC are two guys I really like, and guys I would like to have at 18, but I think Jenkins is the best corner in this draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
It'd also be saying that CB is still a high priority and that Jenkins could become our #1- we'd have a much improved secondary, esp. if Dunta comes back fully healthy to take over the #2 spot. Reeves and Bennett would be solid to have behind Jenkins/Robinson.
It would a much, much improved secondary from a year ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
verifying your feeling-

This is pretty much how I feel about Alberts. He is a great guard prospect, but I have questions about taking him as high as 18 as an LT prospect. We have young guards that Gibbs should be able to put a fire under. While it would be nice to have a stud guard, we would be drafting him as an LT.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 04-01-2008 at 02:09 PM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Not arguing with you or any of the Gibbs' walks the water crowd with the late round picks....what I will say is alberts will give them two guys....no matter what position he plays, who can get into space and knock someone in the dirt. If he makes the flip to OLT...fine....if he can't we just got a bragin high end gaurd who rolls folks...conistantly.... on the second level...we can always use that.
But we don't need a guard at 18 that might become a LT. We need a LT. If we want to do the "hope he can dance the LT shuffle" in a later round well, maybe. Just not at #18. Not saying he can't. Just have that old uneasy feeling.
Old 04-01-2008   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
But we don't need a guard at 18 that might become a LT. We need a LT. If we want to do the "hope he can dance the LT shuffle" in a later round well, maybe. Just not at #18. Not saying he can't. Just have that old uneasy feeling.
he has all the measureables, long arms, frame 6-6 309 & according to Lance the best feet of any tackle in the draft. if thats not enough to change your mind watch some game tape displayof abiltiy to move in space or listen an interview, impressive.

I'll take my chances, not that high of risk with huge reward/upside. reminds me of Amobi Okoye, just really, really bright just scratching the surface of his abilities. he did not play LT @ Virginia because the positions been filled, first there was D'Brickashaw Ferguson, then Eugene Monore the #1 high school LT prospect in the nation (http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com...p?pr_key=22129) here is Brandon Alberts high school bio, looks like he's lost some weight http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com...p?pr_key=31397

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read