Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-27-2008   #41
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible Trading Partners-QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Of course, given how their starting quarterback played last year in comparison to the games Rosenfels played, they should be the beggers who shouldn't be choosers.
I'm sure the Vikings coaches and front office realize that their season fell apart when they had to go to the backup QB (as did the Panthers). Even if their fans don't. What I don't know is how the Vikings plan to address the QB situation. I think their decision comes down to Rosenfels or J.P. Losman. Losman provides more upside, while Sage has more experience in the WCO. I still think it will be Rosenfels.

But if Losman is dealt, the Bills become a possible destination for Sage. And the Packers are a remote possibility.
Old 03-27-2008   #42
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
What does everyone think of the possibility of us trading UP to Carolina or Chicago at 13 or 14 with Sage and a pick swap?

Say Smithiak falls in love with a prospect not likely to fall to 18 that happens to be the unlikely player that unexpectedly falls every draft. Say that player is one of DRC/Mendenhall/Clady. If you were Smithiak would you trade Sage and 18 to get up to 13 or 14 and snag your franchise CB or RB or LT?
No.
None of your example guys are worth giving up Sage AND a pick to make sure we get this Mr. Wonderful...
Since everyone says we need a stud OT, I'll start there.

After Clady on the OT prospect list, there's Williams, Otah, Cherilius, and Sam Baker. Now is Clady so much better than those guys (and they can't ALL be gone by 18) that I'd give up Sage AND a pick to get him. I don't think so. And I'd bet Smithiak won't either.

And that's just one position, as you well know, we've got needs other places. So if the OT I'm targeting is gone, then I'll look at CB or S or RB. No way do I weaken one of the strengths of the team, QB, on a prospect.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #43
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266324 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
No.
None of your example guys are worth giving up Sage AND a pick to make sure we get this Mr. Wonderful...
Since everyone says we need a stud OT, I'll start there.

After Clady on the OT prospect list, there's Williams, Otah, Cherilius, and Sam Baker. Now is Clady so much better than those guys (and they can't ALL be gone by 18) that I'd give up Sage AND a pick to get him. I don't think so. And I'd bet Smithiak won't either.

And that's just one position, as you well know, we've got needs other places. So if the OT I'm targeting is gone, then I'll look at CB or S or RB. No way do I weaken one of the strengths of the team, QB, on a prospect.
Wiser words could not be written.

Last edited by infantrycak; 03-27-2008 at 02:57 PM.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #44
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I think there might be a few other interested parties:

Minnesota -- They've already made an offer.
Atlanta -- Draft a rookie and let Sage mentor.
Kansas City -- QB is a mess for this team.
Green Bay -- As a safety net for Rodgers.
Baltimore -- McNair is done and the others don't look good.
------- UNLIKELY BELOW THIS LINE ----------------
New York Jets -- I think they're focused on the Clemens experiment.
Bills -- I think Edwards is their guy.
Miami -- I don't think Sage could go back, but he would be a better mentor that McCown.
Chicago -- Their QB situation is not pretty. But I don't expect them to make a move.
Carolina -- I don't know how comfy they feel. But they probably appreciate Delhome more now.
49ers -- Martz already has Smith and he brought in "his boy" JT O'Sullivan for a backup.
Bucs -- No way.
Disclaimer:
I do NOT subscribe to the idea of trading Sage given our historically bad luck with injuries.

Now that we have that out of the way...

I like the teams on your list. In fact, I hadn't thought about GB but now that the old guy is gone, their backup QBs are all "whodats". Good call.

The only change I'd make is to move the Bills above the line. I don't think Losman wants to hang around playing second fiddle. I hear he didn't show up for "voluntary" workouts. I'd move them from "Unlikely" to maybe.

I think Carolina would be more than a little interested also. But since they, too, are in rebuilding mode, I doubt they want to give up a first day pick for a #2 guy. Besides, their fanbase may storm the front office with torches and pitch forks if they pick up another Texan QB.
Old 03-27-2008   #45
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 87851 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
See, TEXANRED, you finally agree that Sage isn't going anywhere.
I responded to you with a joke and my post was deleted. Not even a little hey this is why I deleted your post.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #46
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I responded to you with a joke and my post was deleted. Not even a little hey this is why I deleted your post.
Didn't do it, but no rickrolling.
Old 03-27-2008   #47
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266324 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
All in fun......
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-27-2008   #48
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 87851 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Didn't do it, but no rickrolling.
ahh c'mon. Could have been worse, could have linked Demp's man thong site, again.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #49
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
What do yall think, Trade sage and we have a qb problem, Matt goes down in the 1st game and we have a tight end and a newbie to run our team to the promis land. Not going to happen I tell you, Gary has done his homework and if a qb gets traded it will be the newest aquisition. We picked up this newbie for that reason. He was a good back up for another system, does not mean he is a good backup for our system. He is our #3 or we will trade. All this other hogwash is just that Hogwash.
I don't think we can count on Sage taking the Texans to the promise land.

The secondary is extremely thin even with Dunta Robinson, and without him it seems ridiculous. Still don't have a running back for the long term, same situation with the left tackle position.

We got Sage for cheap. It's time to cash out and find another guy the same way we got Sage.

The guys are out there for Rick Smith to find and for Kubiak to coach up. I believe this Sage situation can be duplicated again.

Sage is luxury/insurance policy that really doesn't add value to the team getting out of last place in the AFC South.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #50
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

No way I am selling out the best backup for our system,

I think that any team with any question at QB is a possible trading partner, seems that we have the most info on the Broncos. I say we are putting together a good team and we do not really have the personell to trade for profit.
Old 03-27-2008   #51
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 20242 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected
Cool Re: Possible Trading Partners-QB

i would like to see us trade with the vikings for one of two possibilities:

1. for a 3rd round AND a 6th round(to make up for the 6th we gave up)

or

2. obviously for a 2nd rounder.

other teams???? washington? maybe jacksonville, no quinn, no leftwich?

you decide.

fat d sucks

2slik4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008   #52
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 188528 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
i would like to see us trade with the vikings for one of two possibilities:

1. for a 3rd round AND a 6th round(to make up for the 6th we gave up)

or

2. obviously for a 2nd rounder.

other teams???? washington? maybe jacksonville, no quinn, no leftwich?

you decide.

fat d sucks

Does Sage have to be traded for draft picks? What about teams that might offer a player? Does that widen the horizons? Example Bryant McKinnie for Sage.
Old 03-28-2008   #53
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

I think Sage is a good backup, so what? Some people on this board act like he is the 2nd comming or something and can't be touched or traded or replaced. Sorry, anyone can be replaced. I have no doubt that in 3 months time Quinn Gray will know the offense well enough to back up Schaub or whoever else we have starting at QB. I stated a long time ago that Carr or Kubiak would be gone and everyone acted the same way. "There's no way they get rid of Carr next year" that's what everyone said. Well... I guess they can get rid of or trade anyone they want now can't they? I'm not trying to be a jerk, just trying to be realistic. Anyone can be replaced and Sage is not our golden boy that will carry us to the Super Bowl. If they get a chance to improve our team and it costs us a BACKUP QB, then so be it. The fact of the matter is we plain just don't know what they will or won't do, but I guarantee, they won't be asking for our input on the subject. Make the team a winner, that's all that matters to me..
Old 03-28-2008   #54
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311031 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

The reason I donít want Sage traded has nothing to do with Sage himself. Itís because it has yet to be shown that Schaub can play a full season and we need someone who can come in for a stretch and win, which Sage has proven he can do.

So, when Schaub proves he can stand up for 16 games, Iíll be more inclined towards trading Sage if Gray works out. To be honest, Iíd like to keep all three this season.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008   #55
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
The reason I donít want Sage traded has nothing to do with Sage himself. Itís because it has yet to be shown that Schaub can play a full season and we need someone who can come in for a stretch and win, which Sage has proven he can do.

So, when Schaub proves he can stand up for 16 games, Iíll be more inclined towards trading Sage if Gray works out. To be honest, Iíd like to keep all three this season.
I'd like to elaborate on this, but it expresses how I feel pretty succinctly.

So, in short - "Yeah, what he said."
Old 03-29-2008   #56
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 20242 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected
Cool Re: Possible Trading Partners-QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
I think Sage is a good backup, so what? Some people on this board act like he is the 2nd comming or something and can't be touched or traded or replaced. Sorry, anyone can be replaced. I have no doubt that in 3 months time Quinn Gray will know the offense well enough to back up Schaub or whoever else we have starting at QB. I stated a long time ago that Carr or Kubiak would be gone and everyone acted the same way. "There's no way they get rid of Carr next year" that's what everyone said. Well... I guess they can get rid of or trade anyone they want now can't they? I'm not trying to be a jerk, just trying to be realistic. Anyone can be replaced and Sage is not our golden boy that will carry us to the Super Bowl. If they get a chance to improve our team and it costs us a BACKUP QB, then so be it. The fact of the matter is we plain just don't know what they will or won't do, but I guarantee, they won't be asking for our input on the subject. Make the team a winner, that's all that matters to me..

i agree with you on the "anyone can be traded" comment. what im saying is we as an orginization have an opportunity to sell high on sage with his "stock" being higher than it ever has been. i think now that we brought quinn gray in, that now gives us more flexibility to gain some draft picks that we have given up. on the other hand, schaub is a great QB but if he cant prove he can play a full season then maybe we should be talking about something else. the acquisition of quinn gray was proof that we might be a little more interested in the "sage for draft picks" talk.

also, to reply to a post earlier, i dont think i would be very interested in getting a player in a trade for sage unless its a automatic starter (which i dont think we will get). the future is in the draft picks, hopefully a 2nd rounder, or a possibly a 3rd and a 6th. either one of those scenarios i would be happy with.
2slik4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008   #57
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
I don't think we can count on Sage taking the Texans to the promise land.

The secondary is extremely thin even with Dunta Robinson, and without him it seems ridiculous. Still don't have a running back for the long term, same situation with the left tackle position.

We got Sage for cheap. It's time to cash out and find another guy the same way we got Sage.

The guys are out there for Rick Smith to find and for Kubiak to coach up. I believe this Sage situation can be duplicated again.

Sage is luxury/insurance policy that really doesn't add value to the team getting out of last place in the AFC South.
Okay Hollywood, name names. Don't just throw a statement like that out in the wind. Let's hear some names.

And another thing that's wrong with that premise. Whoever you find will need "coaching up". Sage already knows the offense as well as Matt does. So no drop off in effectiveness should Sage need to step in. And before you mention Quinn Gray, even he is going to go through a learning period while he picks up our offense. He won't be ready to step in and be as effective as Sage would until probably midseason. With some youngster needing "coaching up", it would be worse.

Unless we get a Godfather deal (an offer we can't refuse), we'll have 3 QBs and probably one on the practice squad, in 2008.
Old 03-30-2008   #58
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
the acquisition of quinn gray was proof that we might be a little more interested in the "sage for draft picks" talk.
Don't write too much into the acquisition of Quinn Gray. If we had signed him to backup money, then I'd say we were actively shopping Sage. But we signed Gray for the bare minimum allowed. That's almost like we were saying "If you want to come here, great. But you should probably look elsewhere. You're only going to play in an emergency."

So while I agree with you that having Gray gives us a little more insurance if someone comes to us with a great deal for Sage, I don't think it means that we're actively preparing for that. The QB position, which I think was a strength before this move, just became stronger.

The thing I can't understand is why Quinn would choose to come here where he's almost definitely a #3 and will make less money. I expected someone, somewhere to offer him more than the minimum and I would have expected him to prefer that to coming here.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008   #59
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The thing I can't understand is why Quinn would choose to come here where he's almost definitely a #3 and will make less money. I expected someone, somewhere to offer him more than the minimum and I would have expected him to prefer that to coming here.
he's stated he loves Houston & the warmer climate. secondly he likes the direction of the Texans & its coaching staff. thirdly he's expereinced to know he'll get a shot @ some PT to showcase his wares, make a statement to the league & to the Texans if they want to keep him around he needs some long term security. its basicly a win-win situation for everyone

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008   #60
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Don't write too much into the acquisition of Quinn Gray. If we had signed him to backup money, then I'd say we were actively shopping Sage. But we signed Gray for the bare minimum allowed. That's almost like we were saying "If you want to come here, great. But you should probably look elsewhere. You're only going to play in an emergency."

So while I agree with you that having Gray gives us a little more insurance if someone comes to us with a great deal for Sage, I don't think it means that we're actively preparing for that. The QB position, which I think was a strength before this move, just became stronger.

That is confusing. Someone said Quinn is a warm-weather boy so maybe he wanted to stay in the south. I know he totally blew off the Buffalo trip in deciding to stay here. And he said on the HT.com video that F/A "didn't turn as well as I wanted it to..." So maybe he didn't get any better offers.

http://houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4230

He also said that he's got friends on the team, guys that he knew in Florida, A.J., Travis Johnson, Anthony Maddox were the guys he named... Maybe they talked to him

Last edited by ObsiWan; 03-30-2008 at 02:23 PM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read