Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-26-2008   #21
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible Trading Partners-QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
These are teams that people have mentioned as destinations:

Minnesota
Green Bay
Atlanta
Kansas City
Baltimore
Carolina
49ers
New York Jets
Bills
Bucs

Anyone care to put these in order from most likely to least? (I'm going to participate in this endeavor but at this point I want to hear your point of view). We don't have anything better to do this time of year other than discussing ooky ways to sneak beer into stadiums.

I think there might be a few other interested parties:

Minnesota -- They've already made an offer.
Atlanta -- Draft a rookie and let Sage mentor.
Kansas City -- QB is a mess for this team.
Green Bay -- As a safety net for Rodgers.
Baltimore -- McNair is done and the others don't look good.
------- UNLIKELY BELOW THIS LINE ----------------
New York Jets -- I think they're focused on the Clemens experiment.
Bills -- I think Edwards is their guy.
Miami -- I don't think Sage could go back, but he would be a better mentor that McCown.
Chicago -- Their QB situation is not pretty. But I don't expect them to make a move.
Carolina -- I don't know how comfy they feel. But they probably appreciate Delhome more now.
49ers -- Martz already has Smith and he brought in "his boy" JT O'Sullivan for a backup.
Bucs -- No way.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #22
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

As screwy as Davis is, I don't believe that the Raiders' have made their final decisions on anything, that includes their QB(s) situation.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #23
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

I know it seems to be a forgone conclusion that Sage is headed to the Vikings but I think GB is also a sleeper in this deal. They don't have a back up and Rogers is essentially unproven. I think, at the least, Houston could use Green Bay to drive up the price for Minnesota, if not come in and steal Sage.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #24
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42947 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

We will trade Sage to the Titans for there 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and swap 5th's.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #25
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
We will trade Sage to the Titans for there 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and swap 5th's.
See, TEXANRED, you finally agree that Sage isn't going anywhere.
Old 03-26-2008   #26
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans can get a 3rd or 4th round pick out of Sage, I say do it. I understand the strategy of holding firm to get a higher offer, but they need the extra pick. The Texans have sunk too much into the QB position (meaning David Carr and Matt Schaub) at the expense of the other positions. If you calculated some form of ROI on their investment in QBs, it would be a seriously underperforming asset.

Which brings me to Sage. The guy was cut/released/not resigned by the Dolphins and that is how the Texans picked him up at a bargain price. Buy low and sell high, that's how you make it in life and business.

Some people seem to believe Sage is a proven commodity that we can bank on the future. That is highly debatable. I believe 2007 was the first year Sage won a game as a starter!

There are a lot Pro Bowlers out there in the 3rd and 4th rounds, and if Rick Smith is as good as everyone thinks, this is his time to shine and leverage this asset. The Texans have so many needs in so many areas, you can't tell me there isn't one potential/development guy that could start immediately.

I understand the need for a backup as an insurance policy, but it just doesn't seem like an appropriate policy to pay for considering the current state of the team. The team is improving, but needs to make a big jump in 2008!

Which means the Texans are going to have to take a few calculated risks with personnel this offseason to get better faster and compete in the AFC South legitimately in 2008. Using Sage to accomplish that seems like a great opportunity.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #27
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

Miami -- I don't think Sage could go back, but he would be a better mentor that McCown.
Chicago -- Their QB situation is not pretty. But I don't expect them to make a move.
Carolina -- I don't know how comfy they feel. But they probably appreciate Delhome more now.
49ers -- Martz already has Smith and he brought in "his boy" JT O'Sullivan for a backup.
Bucs -- No way.
Thanks for responding to this thread on topic. Thoughtful points, while adding the Raiders because nobody knows what Davis will do.

Any thoughts about this particular list, with additional or different comments?

(Not really interested in whether Sage should be traded because I have a good sense of that, pros and cons--I'm just trying to get a better sense of what the market might be. I have thoughts rattling around in my head, but sometimes it is nice to see things in black and white).
Old 03-26-2008   #28
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

After last year's VY performance, with all due respect, he should have been putting every waking hour up till the time of the 2008 season concentrating on honing his football IQ and skills before reattending to what he should have already done in school. Having said that, I have to wonder how advantageous a "teacher" and backup Terry Collins is. I am not one who believes that VY will turn into what many believed at the draft. But that would be going off subject. However, Collins' tutelage, in my opinion is not giving Young the best chance for complete development, or the Tacks the best option at backup. Maybe someone in the Tacks organization recognizes all this and starts looking for a better alternative.......maybe.............With that said, the Tacks should make that list.............
Old 03-26-2008   #29
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Any thoughts about this particular list, with additional or different comments?
I actually think Green Bay could be a good partner.

1) For us: They have two 2nd round picks- we want a second, maybe we'd take one of them from them (both are later 2nd rd)

2) For them: With Favre retiring (right? lol) They're left with Aaron Rodgers who isn not exactly making anyone excited. Obviously it's going to be hard to step in behind Favre but I don't think the packers are sold on rodgers being all that solid. They have a great young team that just went 13-3. I think they not only want insurance for Rodgers but that they may be looking at rodgers staying at backup and may see in training camp that Sage would be their starter. Could they draft a QB like Brohm at 30? probably but he's just going to hold the clip board and may not solve any problems, plus they miss out at a solid player that would be a starter.

I think Green Bay would make the perfect trading partner.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #30
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

What do yall think, Trade sage and we have a qb problem, Matt goes down in the 1st game and we have a tight end and a newbie to run our team to the promis land. Not going to happen I tell you, Gary has done his homework and if a qb gets traded it will be the newest aquisition. We picked up this newbie for that reason. He was a good back up for another system, does not mean he is a good backup for our system. He is our #3 or we will trade. All this other hogwash is just that Hogwash.
Old 03-27-2008   #31
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

for what Quinn Gray signed for, I doubt he will be traded or any team in the league would have jumped for him.

If Sage gets traded he gets traded, if not that is fine by me

way things sound from the front office is Sage will be here (smokescreen,could be but we will see)
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #32
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
With that said, the Tacks should make that list.............
I actually put them on the list and then removed them before I hit submit. Just because I think they have serious problems at QB doesn't mean they're allowing themselves to realize the problem they have.

AND...

I don't think we're going to trade Sage within the division unless they give us a deal of Casserlian proportions.

So that's why I pulled them from the list.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #33
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I actually put them on the list and then removed them before I hit submit. Just because I think they have serious problems at QB doesn't mean they're allowing themselves to realize the problem they have.

AND...

I don't think we're going to trade Sage within the division unless they give us a deal of Casserlian proportions.

So that's why I pulled them from the list.
I dunno about that he seemed to like Titans. He did throw the defense 4 passes this year...of course that's more completions then Vince has for their offense.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #34
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 9887 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up Re: Possible Trading Partners-QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
I know it seems to be a forgone conclusion that Sage is headed to the Vikings but I think GB is also a sleeper in this deal. They don't have a back up and Rogers is essentially unproven. I think, at the least, Houston could use Green Bay to drive up the price for Minnesota, if not come in and steal Sage.
That's what I'm thinking too. Also don't count out the Bears. They want to stay a step ahead of the Vikings. So we should get a 2nd rounder. Nothing less.
Giant Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #35
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

This is slowly turning into a trade Sage thread instead of who would be a possible trading partner.
Old 03-27-2008   #36
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Bucs -- No way.
Shh! Don't put Atlanta in for Sage. I have it on good authority from my make believe friend that Atlanta will trade up for our 1st and 5th rounds and give us their two 2nd rounds. We will then trade Sage to Vikings for their second round. We then sign Baker or Anthony Collins LT, Justin King CB and Forte RB. In 3rd, we draft Godfrey 6' 207 4.43 CB/FS and in 4th Tyvon Branch a chart climber CB/FS/KR @ 6' 204 4.31.
Old 03-27-2008   #37
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

I know I've seen these links in various different places, but if anyone has any links of different fans MBs talking about Sage Rosenfels to their team, please put them in this thread.

Though they may not have a good sense of what Rosenfels pros/cons are, they may have a very good sense of what they need at their QB position.

Remember, if you want to talk about the wisdom of such a trade, please put it in the other thread not in this one. This thread is about what the market might be for Rosenfels.

As for the Titans, I do not think that they would be interested in rocking their Vince Young/Kerry Collins boat. Nor do I think that the Texans would be inclined to make this sort of deal in division. I do think that the Titans are on the list of teams that would be improved with better QB-WR play, but given their investment in Young, I don't see them messing with his head or creating any controversy with their fans. That they believe they will get better QB play with further development and new coaching. (Do not want this paragraph to make this thread go into stupid land).
Old 03-27-2008   #38
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Tiger View Post
That's what I'm thinking too. Also don't count out the Bears. They want to stay a step ahead of the Vikings. So we should get a 2nd rounder. Nothing less.
The Bears have brought in a "no name" QB to compete with their "unreliable" Wrecks Grossman. The Bears could/should be in the hunt for a known consistent performer.
Old 03-27-2008   #39
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I know I've seen these links in various different places, but if anyone has any links of different fans MBs talking about Sage Rosenfels to their team, please put them in this thread.

Though they may not have a good sense of what Rosenfels pros/cons are, they may have a very good sense of what they need at their QB position.
Here is a link to a FF forum. The consensus of Viking fan here is that even a third is too much to give up for "a back-up QB who's only had a couple of good games" (Sage.)

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum...owtopic=388160
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #40
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Here is a link to a FF forum. The consensus of Viking fan here is that even a third is too much to give up for "a back-up QB who's only had a couple of good games" (Sage.)

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum...owtopic=388160
That sort of sentiment is consistent with a more national view. Of course, given how their starting quarterback played last year in comparison to the games Rosenfels played, they should be the beggers who shouldn't be choosers.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read