Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-26-2008   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Possible Trading Partners-QB

Obviously the Vikings have come up in rumors, but I'm thinking that there are a bunch more situations where Rosenfels might be an upgrade over the current situation. (Just look that the NFL.com stats) Maybe ones that might not immediately come to mind.

What are the list of teams who really:

1. Need a backup QB.

and/or

2. Have a starting QB who is a little eh.

3. May be wanting to groom a new QB and have a reasonably good training starter.

4. Don't have reasons not to get Rosenfels (i.e. just signed a backup QB for too much money, don't want to cause QB problems).

For those teams:

1. What do they have to offer the Texans as far as draft picks or other considerations.

2. What other reasons might they want to deal. (Relationships with coaches, the Texans often deal with them, etc).

I know that this has been talked about at various places in different threads but I would like for this thread to be only on possible trading partners with the Texans for Sage Rosenfels. The Texans sometimes do things that are suprising, so I'd like to make this a specific topic for discussion.

Basically, I'm looking for situations that have the potential of being win-win for both teams because those are a lot of the trades that happen.
Old 03-26-2008   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible Trading Partners-QB

I wanted to ask this but did not think I could word it to say what I wanted. It seems there might be teams that could bid against each other for Sage as we get closer to pick #18. Thanks TC.
Old 03-26-2008   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Atlanta has three 2nd rd. picks, use one to draft your future starting QB & trade a second for a QB (Sage) ready to start now. Like Joe Flacco, similar talent to Schaub but like Matt untested & will need time to develop. In meantime Sage can come in run the offense as your starter, on the cheap, if trading two 2nd rd. picks worked to address the QB situation for the Texans why not the Falcons? I feel this is a safer more cost effective route than using the 3rd overall pick on Matt Ryan.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #4
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Carolina comes to mind but might have soured with us after taking on Davey. They'd be smart to draft Brohm though instead of taking LT Williams...at least I am hoping they will.

Baltimore needs help but I think they'll draft another QB this year maybe Woodson.

Packers who just got an extra second will probably be looking for backup help.

ATL now has 3 second rounders. Would be way easier and faster to give usa second back and at least solidify their QB situation until their QB draftee gets ready.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #5
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

The Bills might. They have Trent Edwards and JP Losman. Sage might be an upgrade over both.

Heck, maybe the Bucs too. Just because Jon Gruden seems to collect QBs.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #6
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35494 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
The Bills might. They have Trent Edwards and JP Losman. Sage might be an upgrade over both.

Heck, maybe the Bucs too. Just because Jon Gruden seems to collect QBs.
i think the Bills are sold with Edwards as the future.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #7
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Baltimore, San Fran, NYJ, and KC are all teams that I think have big question marks at QB.

EDIT: I will expound on this at a later time.
Sponsored links
Old 03-26-2008   #8
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 117612 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

I still can't believe that Lovey has faith in Wrecks Grossman. They should be considering another option, if not then Lovey & Angelo can't be too bright.
Old 03-26-2008   #9
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

It won't be Atlanta, because they already signed Chris Redman... unless they somehow aren't thinking about taking a QB, which would be a shock.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #10
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8652 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

What does everyone think of the possibility of us trading UP to Carolina or Chicago at 13 or 14 with Sage and a pick swap?

Say Smithiak falls in love with a prospect not likely to fall to 18 that happens to be the unlikely player that unexpectedly falls every draft. Say that player is one of DRC/Mendenhall/Clady. If you were Smithiak would you trade Sage and 18 to get up to 13 or 14 and snag your franchise CB or RB or LT?
Old 03-26-2008   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
What does everyone think of the possibility of us trading UP to Carolina or Chicago at 13 or 14 with Sage and a pick swap?

Say Smithiak falls in love with a prospect not likely to fall to 18 that happens to be the unlikely player that unexpectedly falls every draft. Say that player is one of DRC/Mendenhall/Clady. If you were Smithiak would you trade Sage and 18 to get up to 13 or 14 and snag your franchise CB or RB or LT?
if my memory serves me correctly? the Texans traded back in 05 from the 13th pick to the 17th pick with N.O. for a 3rd rd. pick (which became Winston) so it would seem in the realm of possiblity

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #12
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8652 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
if my memory serves me correctly? the Texans traded back in 05 from the 13th pick to the 17th pick with N.O. for a 3rd rd. pick (which became Winston) so it would seem in the realm of possiblity
That was a 3rd round pick NEXT year which is graded like a 4th round pick in the present year.

Just another example of Casserly's superior wheeling and dealing skills.... I swear, I think he made his career off robbing Ditka blind for Ricky Williams.
Old 03-26-2008   #13
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I hadn't thought of that but I like where you're heading! I think a possibility could be Chris Williams. Unfortunately Carolina picks right after Denver (which is a popular spot for Williams to go).

So right after Carolina there is Chicago, Detroit, Arizona, and Minnesota. We could trade up for possibly Williams (if there) or a stud CB if we think the lions/cardinals/vikings may take him, possibly Mendenhall (over chicago/detroit/cardinals), or maybe even DE Derick Harvey (gulp, another DL).

Who are the players Carolina may be targeting? Williams, Mendenhall/Stewart, Kenny Phillips, Brohm?? I'm not exactly sure but if they think that player(s) will be there at #18 they sure would get better value.

It also really depends on what we value sage at. 2nd round pick is too vague. To get from #18 to #13 it would cost us apprx. 250 points per "the chart", which equates to the 4th pick in the 3rd round. The vikings "offered" us a 3rd rounder but they have the 10th(220pts) and the 19th(175pts) in the 3rd. If we value Sage as a "late" 2nd round pick- We may swap 1sts, give them sage, and ask for their 4th or 5th round pick.

I'd might do it if we gave up Sage and our 1st rounder and got LT Chris Williams + their 4th round pick. That is IF they think Williams would turn into a superior LT in our system.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #14
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
And when we did that Derrick Johnson went right before us to KC.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I hadn't thought of that but I like where you're heading! I think a possibility could be Chris Williams. Unfortunately Carolina picks right after Denver (which is a popular spot for Williams to go).

So right after Carolina there is Chicago, Detroit, Arizona, and Minnesota. We could trade up for possibly Williams (if there) or a stud CB if we think the lions/cardinals/vikings may take him, possibly Mendenhall (over chicago/detroit/cardinals), or maybe even DE Derick Harvey (gulp, another DL).

Who are the players Carolina may be targeting? Williams, Mendenhall/Stewart, Kenny Phillips, Brohm?? I'm not exactly sure but if they think that player(s) will be there at #18 they sure would get better value.

It also really depends on what we value sage at. 2nd round pick is too vague. To get from #18 to #13 it would cost us apprx. 250 points per "the chart", which equates to the 4th pick in the 3rd round. The vikings "offered" us a 3rd rounder but they have the 10th(220pts) and the 19th(175pts) in the 3rd. If we value Sage as a "late" 2nd round pick- We may swap 1sts, give them sage, and ask for their 4th or 5th round pick.

I'd might do it if we gave up Sage and our 1st rounder and got LT Chris Williams + their 4th round pick. That is IF they think Williams would turn into a superior LT in our system.
I do not think we'd get a swap of 1st up five places and get a 4th for Sage. Here is my problem with the trade up scenario, say we do the deal and get Williams who I really like; but at #18 you could have gotten Stewart. Heads up I take Williams over Stewart, but not giving up a 2nd round equivalent(Sage). I could have drafted Stewart and traded Sage for a 2nd (Vikings) and then selected Baker, Anthony Collins, Tony Hills, Cherilus, Duane Brown, John Greco or Jeremy Zuttah in 2nd or later. Of course no guarantee we get a second for Sage but it would be a draft day deal as would the trade up, I'm thinking. Don't think I'd do the trade up even if a 4th was thrown in.
Old 03-26-2008   #16
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you buy into the validity of the "Value Charts", a team would need to offer "boot" equivilent to 'bout a low 2nd or high 3rd round pick to move
up to the vicinity of #12 or #13, and apparently Sage is worth that to certain teams.
Of course on the other hand we'd probably be picking there anyway had we not pulled out all the stops to win that meaningless game against the Jags scrubs in Reliant at the end of last year.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #17
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
If you buy into the validity of the "Value Charts", a team would need to offer "boot" equivilent to 'bout a low 2nd or high 3rd round pick to move
up to the vicinity of #12 or #13, and apparently Sage is worth that to certain teams.
Of course on the other hand we'd probably be picking there anyway had we not pulled out all the stops to win that meaningless game against the Jags scrubs in Reliant at the end of last year.
Though I know what you mean, it was not a meaningless game.

At some point your franchise needs not to be losers. That final game was as good a time as any to get a .500 record.

Ok, go back to the regularly scheduled thread in progress....

These are teams that people have mentioned as destinations:

Minnesota
Green Bay
Atlanta
Kansas City
Baltimore
Carolina
49ers
New York Jets
Bills
Bucs

Anyone care to put these in order from most likely to least? (I'm going to participate in this endeavor but at this point I want to hear your point of view). We don't have anything better to do this time of year other than discussing ooky ways to sneak beer into stadiums.
Old 03-26-2008   #18
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
We don't have anything better to do this time of year other than discussing ooky ways to sneak beer into stadiums.
That mission is very important! Especially since I'll be 21 by the time football season starts up again

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #19
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I think this is the 3rd or 4th thread Ive seen for this discussion ..... the others have ended up locked ...... But Ill throw my two cents in . I dont see the Texans letting Sage go for anything less than a mid to top end 2nd rounder . After watching this team last season (Sage appeared in what 10 out of 16 games ?) , It would be foolish to be caught with no reliable #2 and #3 QB's ..... Unless of course the team employ's five big guy's wearing sunglasses and pistols under their coat's to protect the QB .

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/5645519.html

In before the lock

David Carr ...........

Hope is a poor mans disease.

Last edited by Corrosion; 03-26-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #20
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion View Post

I'm not sure that I understand. The last paragraph of the article indicates that the Texans may be wanting flexibility to trade to Minnesota or some other team. Clearly if someone offers the Texans a fabu deal, they are going to take it, no matter what Kubiak said recently in a March newspaper article.

I'm not trying to beat a deadhorse as it relates to whether Rosenfels should be traded or not. I'm just interested in potential destinations. Which ones make more sense than others.

I just want to have a realistic discussion about this. You know, like we were hanging out around a tailgate and just wondering out loud about different options.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read