Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-25-2008   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 242285 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Abbate?

Am I the only one that missed Abbate's resigning 2 days after he was placed on waivers (per the official site's bio)???????
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #2
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Abbate?

He re-singed nearly a month ago

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/Transactions.asp

Quote:
2/29/2008 Re-signed FB Jon Abbate.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #3
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 381485 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Waiting to be a victim of the numbers game.
Old 03-25-2008   #4
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 242285 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone think the Texans may try him at his original LB position?
Old 03-25-2008   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 180779 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Waiting to be a victim of the numbers game.
I thought he looked pretty good in the limited time he had at FB. He seemed to have a good feel for the passing game. He'll have to make an impression on special teams to make the team, though.
Old 03-25-2008   #6
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
NO, because of other signings and because of rookie LB Zach Diles whom seems to be someone Kubiak loves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I thought he looked pretty good in the limited time he had at FB. He seemed to have a good feel for the passing game. He'll have to make an impression on special teams to make the team, though.
He is not going to be a numbers hit if he can prove his worth on special teams. Last year what little he did show was a moot point because of the injury. If he can show any value at all his cap numbers would indicate in keeping him.
Old 03-25-2008   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 381485 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I thought he looked decent as well--definitely would need to stand out on special teams though. I wasn't actually commenting on him so much as what may become a log jam. Leach & Cook + Green, Taylor, Brown plus a rookie--and then there is going to be a spot for Abbate. If there is a spot it is likely on the PS.
Old 03-26-2008   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
he ran a 5.1 at the combine...he's way too slow and short (slow and small) to be a linebacker in the NFL. I think you can overcome 'short' with great speed if you are a linebacker, but perhaps not often if you are slow.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #9
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 41385 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
he ran a 5.1 at the combine...he's way too slow and short (slow and small) to be a linebacker in the NFL. I think you can overcome 'short' with great speed if you are a linebacker, but perhaps not often if you are slow.
I agree with that.....but isn't it said that he has a great motor? I thought I remember reading that after the draft last year. I know having a motor and being fast are two different things, but it is a good attribute. If the kid just won't quit, maybe he can earn a spot on ST, as some of you have said, and maybe he can turn into a servicable FB.
Old 03-26-2008   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

When I came across this info at NFLDRAFTSCOUT.COM, I had to scratch my head.............He was waived by the Texans in light of a failed physical
and then quickly resigned. Did he reinjure his ankle? Somewhat puzzling that he would change physical status over a 48 hour period.
Old 03-26-2008   #11
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That 40 time is misleading, because he ran that 40 with a severely pulled hammy. Now, granted I dont really know what he would have run had he been completely healthy 4.8 maybe. While I dont think you could overcome a 5.1 40 time with great football instincts, you may be able to with a 4.8.

None of that matters though because I dont think he will be a LB either. I would like to see him on the team though but that has more to do with all the stuff he has dealt with over the last few ears than anything else. If he beats out Cook for the backup job, im all for it.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #12
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
As relates to his 40 at the combine. Wasn't he the one that tore a hammy at the beginning of the combine and still ran through his mobility testing ......................and then never went on to perform at his Pro Day at all because of that same hammy injury? His size is certainly a concern, but is his tagged 5.1 speed legitimate?

Sorry, BigBrew, but evidentlyI was posting while you were too.

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 03-26-2008 at 10:04 AM. Reason: simultaneous posting
Old 03-26-2008   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
As relates to his 40 at the combine. Wasn't he the one that tore a hammy at the beginning of the combine and still ran through his mobility testing ......................and then never went on to perform at his Pro Day at all because of that same hammy injury? His size is certainly a concern, but is his tagged 5.1 speed legitimate?

Sorry, BigBrew, but evidentlyI was posting while you were too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post
That 40 time is misleading, because he ran that 40 with a severely pulled hammy. Now, granted I dont really know what he would have run had he been completely healthy 4.8 maybe. While I dont think you could overcome a 5.1 40 time with great football instincts, you may be able to with a 4.8.

None of that matters though because I dont think he will be a LB either. I would like to see him on the team though but that has more to do with all the stuff he has dealt with over the last few ears than anything else. If he beats out Cook for the backup job, im all for it.
You are right about the combine time but at least to me, Abbate just doesn't look like a linebacker on top of not being all that fast. I'm pretty sure Wake Forrest ran schemes to funnel everyone to him to make the tackle. I've seen short, not necessarily fast guys flourish in the middle over the years so yeah, anything can happen. I'd like to see if Kubiak can turn into a fb too.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #14
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You are right about the combine time but at least to me, Abbate just doesn't look like a linebacker on top of not being all that fast. I'm pretty sure Wake Forrest ran schemes to funnel everyone to him to make the tackle. I've seen short, not necessarily fast guys flourish in the middle over the years so yeah, anything can happen. I'd like to see if Kubiak can turn into a fb too.
So you want our coach to be the FB now do you?
Old 03-26-2008   #15
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey, whatever gets Cook off of this team is ok in my book. Id rather have Hester, but you know the old saying... Want in one hand, crap in the other...
Old 03-26-2008   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Hey, whatever gets Cook off of this team is ok in my book. Id rather have Hester, but you know the old saying... Want in one hand, crap in the other...
Given the choice, I'll take the crap anytime.

C. Casserly
Old 03-26-2008   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 178253 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post
So you want our coach to be the FB now do you?
Kubiac could make the team but would have to do well on special teams. I was hoping he could be the 3rd QB? He is a seasoned vet and is used to not being the starter. Wait, what could we get for him in a trade?
Old 03-26-2008   #18
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I thought he looked decent as well--definitely would need to stand out on special teams though. I wasn't actually commenting on him so much as what may become a log jam. Leach & Cook + Green, Taylor, Brown plus a rookie--and then there is going to be a spot for Abbate. If there is a spot it is likely on the PS.
This was my thought too. I don't think he will beat out Cook unless he has a really good TC and Preseason, but I don't think they want to let him go either. They like that toughness, grit and tenacity. Another year on the PS and he may be ready. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #19
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Given the choice, I'll take the crap anytime.

C. Casserly
Yeah, he has already called all divison rivals to see how he can help with their cap problems...
Old 03-26-2008   #20
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Kubiac could make the team but would have to do well on special teams. I was hoping he could be the 3rd QB? He is a seasoned vet and is used to not being the starter. Wait, what could we get for him in a trade?
I wouldnt do the deal for less than a 2nd for sure.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read