Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-26-2008   #21
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: ESPN "Insider" ranks AJ #4 among NFL WRs

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Playing just half a year he got a new high of 8 TD's plus was leading the league in yards per game.
Prorating Johnson's stats out to a full 16 game schedule would give him 106-1512-14. More important, the Texans went 6-3 in the games AJ was on the field.
Old 03-26-2008   #22
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 205206 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Dre would have been there if he hadnt missed 7 games. If Im building a team, Dre would be the 1st WR I would take, even over Moss. He does drop pass he should catch, but he also makes catches that should be dropped.
He's been up and down. When he was a rookie, he dropped more than he should have, but he worked on it in the offseason and did not drop many in 2004. In 2006, he dropped more than he should have, but last year, he was much better again. I've done my best to block 2005 from my memory.
Old 03-26-2008   #23
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
He's been up and down. When he was a rookie, he dropped more than he should have, but he worked on it in the offseason and did not drop many in 2004. In 2006, he dropped more than he should have, but last year, he was much better again. I've done my best to block 2005 from my memory.
I agree. Just speaking from both sides. At least he doesnt take plays off. He is a beast and there isnt another guy in the NFL Id want to build my offense around. His downs come less often than they use to, but they still show up every once in a while.
Old 03-26-2008   #24
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Kubiak also stated that when he watched film he never saw teams cover Andre like he saw in all the years of coaching. I imagine when most of your passes are either hitch passes or in the linebacker zones any player is going to drop more passes more often. Most of the time Carr had to have AJ close to him to get him the ball....unless he threw one of his mortar lob sideline shots at him.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #25
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Harrison has one injury year and they drop him outside the top ten?
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #26
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I remember a ton of fans dogging AJ when Carr was here as they made excuses for the gloved one...you know who you are.
I don't remember anyone doing that specifically. I was one of the biggest Carr homers on here but I NEVER doubted AJ.

Andre has had some rough spots but he was never the problem.
Old 03-26-2008   #27
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 205206 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Kubiak also stated that when he watched film he never saw teams cover Andre like he saw in all the years of coaching. I imagine when most of your passes are either hitch passes or in the linebacker zones any player is going to drop more passes more often. Most of the time Carr had to have AJ close to him to get him the ball....unless he threw one of his mortar lob sideline shots at him.
That might have been true except for the fact that AJ had at least two years with Carr when he dropped more passes than he should have, and then he had two years with Carr when he did a fantastic job. And they were equally distributed between the worst versions of Carr and the better version of Carr.

I just chalk it up to a mental thing, as playing for a cellar dweller is tough. At any rate, the point of my post was to point out that AJ is on an upward trend in the drops category. There is absolutely no downside to AJ if he maintains that concentration.
Old 03-26-2008   #28
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

whatever, we all know hes #1

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #29
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That might have been true except for the fact that AJ had at least two years with Carr when he dropped more passes than he should have, and then he had two years with Carr when he did a fantastic job. And they were equally distributed between the worst versions of Carr and the better version of Carr.

I just chalk it up to a mental thing, as playing for a cellar dweller is tough. At any rate, the point of my post was to point out that AJ is on an upward trend in the drops category. There is absolutely no downside to AJ if he maintains that concentration.
I guess my point was that 4 years of Carr's limited passing game and him not being able to get him the ball further out than the linebacker coverage on the vast majority of the time probably manifests in more dropped balls than if most of your passes don't have triple coverage with a linebacker salivating to take a shot at you one or two steps away since he watched the same game tape everyone else had on Carr and knew that Carr didn't have vision.

Old 03-26-2008   #30
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
Harrison has one injury year and they drop him outside the top ten?
That surprised me a bit, too. But they are probably considering his age, who throws to him and the fact that the Colts really didn't miss a beat with him out.
Old 03-26-2008   #31
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
That surprised me a bit, too. But they are probably considering his age, who throws to him and the fact that the Colts really didn't miss a beat with him out.
true, he's going on season 14 and will be 36 this year.

Old 03-26-2008   #32
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272750 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

AJ has been up and down as has TO on drops--haven't figured out how to get the historical info from the new Stats, Inc. site. Last year AJ dropped 2 of 86--2.3% and TO dropped 10 (putting him at 2nd most for WR's) of 141--7.1%
Old 03-26-2008   #33
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
AJ has been up and down as has TO on drops--haven't figured out how to get the historical info from the new Stats, Inc. site. Last year AJ dropped 2 of 86--2.3% and TO dropped 10 (putting him at 2nd most for WR's) of 141--7.1%
up and down? AJ? I dont recall him dropping many balls....

Old 03-26-2008   #34
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272750 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesmanTexanfan View Post
up and down? AJ? I dont recall him dropping many balls....
As I recall he had 8 one season and folks were freaking out a little about it, but as a percentage of targets it was not out of line for elite WR's (high end, but not outrageous).
Old 03-26-2008   #35
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Quote:
As I recall he had 8 one season and folks were freaking out a little about it, but as a percentage of targets it was not out of line for elite WR's (high end, but not outrageous).
I see, he was our only wideout for a while so he got most of the passes, I guees thats what your talking about when it comes to percentage...

Old 03-26-2008   #36
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 277266 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I remember a ton of fans dogging AJ when Carr was here as they made excuses for the gloved one...you know who you are.
Unfortunately, the Fresno Mafia will never read this post...they left a year ago and have not been seen in Texas ever since. Check the Giants board, tho'
Old 03-26-2008   #37
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Unfortunately, the Fresno Mafia will never read this post...they left a year ago and have not been seen in Texas ever since. Check the Giants board, tho'
I'm still here.

Old 03-26-2008   #38
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

I find it odd that Andre Davis didn't make the list. I mean, come on, not a top 64 receiver?? He had a great season that I would imagine would at least put him ahead of the likes of Drew Bennett and Marty Booker.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #39
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 277266 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
I'm still here.

nah, you are a Texans fan (says so right in your name!). The Fresno Mafia was notorious for being fans of Carr, but not necessarily the team.

A lot of Texans fans supported and wanted to believe in DC. He was our QB and first overall pick of the franchise, so it is understandable. However, most of these folks came to realize what had to be done for the best interests of the team, so acceptance was in order. But it never changed the desire to root for the Houston Texans.

The Fresno Mafia, on the other hand, never cared to be Texans fans. They just put on the jersey that their boy was wearing, so last year they wore Panthers colors and this year they are Giants 'fans'.
Old 03-26-2008   #40
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

This guy doesnt even think AJ should be in the top 20. Everyone needs to go give this guy a piece of our minds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read